Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2010, 22:40   #61
Senior - BHPian

Just curious.!

Did you by any chance up sized the tyres/alloy horrendously ?

If this is not the case ask the technician to check the front struts, balance rod and trailing arm too.
Old 23rd November 2010, 23:16   #62
BANNED

@ SirAlec.

Everything is 'stock' in my car and i have not changed anything. They have tried their best to sort it out as per Hyundai's direction and so far failed.
Old 15th December 2010, 18:00   #63
BHPian

Re: Rattling problem on the i20

Hello all,

I've been having dashboard rattle issues of late (just completed 4000Ks) in my i20 CRDi. The rattle seems to be coming from just above the glovebox / left side of the center console. Did anyone else have the same problem ? Any help would be appreciated !!.

Thank you
Old 15th December 2010, 18:21   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calm_cruiser View Post
Hello all,

I've been having dashboard rattle issues of late (just completed 4000Ks) in my i20 CRDi. The rattle seems to be coming from just above the glovebox / left side of the center console. Did anyone else have the same problem ? Any help would be appreciated !!.

Thank you

I too have this dashboard sound but its just once in a while.It comes near the leftmost AC vent..krrrr....krrrr sound.But only sometimes
Old 20th December 2010, 12:35   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I too have this dashboard sound but its just once in a while.It comes near the leftmost AC vent..krrrr....krrrr sound.But only sometimes
We have the "krr.. krrr.." In common then !. I tried to stick a long handled screwdriver into the cavity just above the glove-box and surprise surprise, the noise went away for some time, but came back after a few bumps on the road.

I think there's a wire inside that's hitting the inner part of the dash. I'm dreading to take it to Hyundai since they might want to push me to claim insurance even to fix the smallest of issues. I had a small scratch on the rear-right door and the attendant at Hyundai's showroom in Pune asked me to claim insurance or pay up 8000 bucks !. absolutely ridiculous attitude on their part I suppose.

Cheers !
Old 23rd December 2010, 09:30   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calm_cruiser View Post
Hello all,

Thank you
I had a similar noise coming from what I believed to be around the glove box area. The service manager at HMP identified it to be a loose rear view mirror. Smart work in quick time by him.

Try holding the rear view mirror tight at the part that connects to the windscreen while going over bad roads. If the noise still persists then you might need to investigate at other places.

That rattle fixed, i've found a new rattle coming from below the cup holder/ ashtray area. This seems to occur only in the mornings. When i push and hold down the ashtray tight the noise stops. One would think it is the ashtray causing the noise. But when i remove the ashtray from the car, the noise continues.

Holding down the ashtray seems to apply pressure on whatever is loose & causing the noise. Any idea what this could be???

Last edited by Mubeen : 23rd December 2010 at 09:33.
Old 26th December 2010, 19:18   #67
BHPian

Mubeen, Wildon and other owners, just wanted to know if your ratting issues have been fixed. Should this be a show stopper for any potential buyers?
Old 28th December 2010, 11:58   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Mubeen, Wildon and other owners, just wanted to know if your ratting issues have been fixed. Should this be a show stopper for any potential buyers?
The rattles in my car are still there. However its a lot lesser than earlier.

Before the fix, on any uneven road surface the rattle would be heard - which is pretty much any road surface!!

After the fix, I'd have to drive over a really, really bad stretch of road for the rattles to start off.

Whether or not its a show stopper though depends on your level of tolerance for rattles.

That being said I know of a couple of i20 owners who have had a rattle free experience with their cars. If you're planning on an i20 I wish you luck that your car doesn't encounter the rattle problem rather than look for a fix after getting the problem.

Seems like approx 7 of the 10 owners with the problem haven't been able to get a complete fix to their satisfaction.
Old 31st December 2010, 09:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mubeen, Wildon and other owners, just wanted to know if your ratting issues have been fixed.
I have faced probably the most critical after effects of this steering rattle issue.

The EPS in my i20 has malfunctioned, which could have been fatal if it had happened on the highway at high speeds. Now those jokers in Hyundai are not even bothered to respond and help, which is disgusting!!!

Its been two weeks and the car hasn't been started or driven since this incident, requested Hyundai to send a company engineer or atleast a qualified engineer to check the issue, there has been complete silence from Hyundai's side since this request. The RO kept insisting on sending the unqualified works manager from Junagadh to check. Knowing the chameleon nature of this particular WM, we said no.

Details of the EPS malfunction here

Quote:
Should this be a show stopper for any potential buyers?
Well, that depends on the owner. But if after more than six lacs on a supposed premium hatchback, if you have to live with such irritating rattles(and EPS malfunction subsequently), then I guess it only shows how safe and how premium the car really is.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 31st December 2010 at 10:02.
Old 31st December 2010, 12:19   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
I have faced probably the most critical after effects of this steering rattle issue.
Details of the EPS malfunction here

Well, that depends on the owner. But if after more than six lacs on a supposed premium hatchback, if you have to live with such irritating rattles(and EPS malfunction subsequently), then I guess it only shows how safe and how premium the car really is.
@skanchan95; have you tried calling the Mumbai office yet?

@flyingkolors; my neighbour had this initial issue for his i20 which he now has received a stopgap solution. I informed him of skanchan's repeated issue and he is now trying to sell it, as he is not comfortable about the safety aspect in the long term. Unfortunately for him, it looks like quite a few people are aware of this issue and there are other i20s in the market for sale. Demand - Supply equation seems to suggest a hit on the resale value (could get worse if Hyundai doesnt do something drastic now. there are so many recalls in the US, I dont understand why they fail to do the same here; maybe it will sound the death knell for that brand in India). I and my cousin have decided against considering the i20 for these 3 reasons - safety, ***, resale value (in fact lack of the 3). of course this is my opinion based on events around me.
Old 31st December 2010, 14:39   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
@skanchan95; have you tried calling the Mumbai office yet?
They had been in the loop every since the steering rack in my car was changed for the second time on July 16,2010. Talking to anyone is anyway useless now as things have gone too far. They cannot take such a serious issue with the car's steering for granted.

It wouldn't be surprising if Hyundai starts attacking team-bhp. Someone had already mentioned in another thread of how some fellow from Hyundai was calling team-bhp a complaint forum and that reading team-bhp should be avoided. I also know of a friend who was asked by the workshop to stop posting about the car's issues on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Unfortunately for him, it looks like quite a few people are aware of this issue and there are other i20s in the market for sale. Demand - Supply equation seems to suggest a hit on the resale value (could get worse if Hyundai doesnt do something drastic now.
Even I realise that if I had tried selling the car(when the EPS was working normally), people would know that this particular i20 is plagued by steering & brake issues that the company was unable to repair. No one will be willing to buy our car which has such possibly life-threatening issues. Now even if the EPS is repaired or they do whatever with the car to restore it back to normal, who in their right minds, would buy this car? Even if it repaired, my confidence of driving the car safely has been completely shattered, EPS malfunction at any moment will always be at the back of my mind. This is something that I hope and pray may never happen to anyone.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 31st December 2010 at 14:52.
Old 31st December 2010, 19:18   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Ahh! I am worried now. I booked a I20 last week and expecting delivery in Jan1st week. Wonder how they are managing 7k units per month. Just hoping mine would turn out to be those lucky non-rattlers!
Old 7th January 2011, 20:16   #73
BANNED

Yesterday I test-drove an i20 just to see how bad the rattling issue was. I drove on not-so-good roads and the rattling from steering column was evident.

The test drive car was driven for 22k kms. The sales person kept giving reasons like its a old car driven for 22k kms. And then he says tyre pressure is 36 and hence the rattling.

If anyone wants to experience the rattling sound, test drive the white i20 at Advaith Motors - Vasanth Nagar.
Old 15th February 2011, 18:45   #74
BHPian

Hey guys..
I have a i20 crdi sportz.. Does any of your cars front wheels become black ? Is it due to the brake fluid in the discs ?
Every two days after cleaning the alloys become dirty and black again.. Is this normal ?
Old 16th February 2011, 16:30   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Hey guys..
I have a i20 crdi sportz.. Does any of your cars front wheels become black ? Is it due to the brake fluid in the discs ?
Every two days after cleaning the alloys become dirty and black again.. Is this normal ?
its due to the brake pad dust and not the fluid. it is normal

Most Viewed