Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2010, 23:54   #76
Senior - BHPian

Just after a tankful and B trip reset, I observed the FE calculator for a while. During this initial period it fluctuates a lot. I noticed that the display is refreshed, ie FE is calculated roughly every 10 seconds.

Regarding the music folders:
The stock display is 2 digit. Hence counts upto 99 only. I have over 200 folders. So it starts counting from 01 again. Thankfully it maintains the folder sequence. That is, it goes to the next folder 100 .. 101 etc, and not to the original folder 01

But yes, it's slow to display the tag information. Hence it helps to have a fair idea of the sequence of folders in the drive.

Last edited by shuvc : 18th June 2010 at 23:57.
Old 14th July 2010, 01:08   #77
Senior - BHPian

Any idea what the 'perforations/slats' circled in red, are for?

Honda Civic- Tips/Tricks/Hacks-dashoheadlights.jpg

Honda Civic- Tips/Tricks/Hacks-dashslits.jpg
Old 14th July 2010, 01:33   #78
Team-BHP Support

The one on the centre console is part of the climate control, its the temperature sensor. I think the one on top might do the same thing.
Old 14th July 2010, 10:19   #79
Senior - BHPian

I suspect the one between the lights is for the buzzer/beeper.

I did not see the red ring in the lower picture. Are you talking of the one above the audio buttons. That is the CD slot. Now the car has only one CD and not the old 6 CD changer.
Old 14th July 2010, 10:27   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I suspect the one between the lights is for the buzzer/beeper.

I did not see the red ring in the lower picture. Are you talking of the one above the audio buttons. That is the CD slot. Now the car has only one CD and not the old 6 CD changer.
He is taking about the one on the right of hazard lights switch. It is temperature sensor as mentioned in manual.

OT : shuvc: I can still spot the "plastics". How old is the car?

Last edited by alto99 : 14th July 2010 at 10:30.
Old 14th July 2010, 12:05   #81
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, saw it now. I agree that it should logically be for the temperature sensor. Has to be a recent car since it has a single CD. Single CD came in at the time of the September 2009 face lift.
Old 12th October 2010, 23:53   #82

Picked up my Civic AT last month and have been meaning to write about it, but didn't manage due to work pressures. Another thought being that so many of you have listed it beautifully, nothing really new or phenomenal to add. Thanks to all who helped with opinions and gyan. Really helped a lot.

Back to the CivicAT FE discussion:
On the Mum-Pune expressway, while returning from Pune, cruise controlled when possible at speed stretches of 88 & 95kmph (just randomly as I just finished the 1000km run-in and was still playing safe and under 2500 rpm and 100 kmph), and was shocked to get a figure of 20.2 km/l (as per in dash reading).
Freaky. But great.
Was driving in D mode and kept my emotions and 'carmones' under a tremendous run-in leash.

My uncle almost didn't believe me and stretched over from the passenger's side to check for himself, to ensure that I'm not pulling his leg. He was stunned and went back to sleep smiling.
1Maverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2010, 19:31   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Maverick View Post
Picked up my Civic AT last month and have been meaning to write about it, but didn't manage due to work pressures. Another thought being that so many of you have listed it beautifully, nothing really new or phenomenal to add. Thanks to all who helped with opinions and gyan. Really helped a lot.
1Maverick, first of all hearty congratulations to you for your proud new Civic, and welcome to the club! A colleague of mine must just have taken delivery of his own Civic AT a few minutes back. It's suddenly raining Civics again.

I think you should talk about your ownership in a dedicated thread nevertheless. I'm sure you'll enjoy writing about your experience, and there are many who'll enjoy reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Maverick View Post
was shocked to get a figure of 20.2 km/l (as per in dash reading).
Freaky. But great.
Was driving in D mode and kept my emotions and 'carmones' under a tremendous run-in leash.
Highway driving in econo-mode definitely helps, but the Civic's in-dash FE indicator is optimistic. My tankful-to-tankful and reserve-to-reserve (based on the tell-tale low fuel warning light) calculations always indicate around 10 kmpl (give or take 0.5 depending on how much bumper-to-bumper torture I've subjected BQ to) whereas the dash currently reports 11.2-11.3 kmpl.

So I'd say you've probably got 19 kmpl, which is still absolutely phenomenal for a car like the Civic.

Regards,
spadix
Old 13th October 2010, 21:57   #84
BHPian

1Maverick, congrats. That's awesome mileage. IIRC, I have seen a max of 17+kmpl on mine with the use of cruise control during run-in. Post run-in, I typically high-rev (S + paddles), redlining in every gear during onward and cruise-control on return journey. I get around 14+kmpl. Sometimes I have got ~11kmpl, if I high-rev both ways. Its just so much fun!
Old 16th October 2010, 21:13   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
The tips given in the link below may be useful to change the door locking behavior of 8th gen Civic.

Door Lock Tricks (Auto Lock, Auto Open) - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

See a method given below to set doors to auto lock when shift gear is moved form P position on Civic AT cars.

Apparently, this info is already there in the manual.
Has this worked for anyone ? I haven't been able to get it going.
Old 28th October 2010, 15:24   #86

Thanks @Spadix & @mkc15. Just God's grace, I'm humbled every time I drive it.
I agree about that 1kmpl error.

And @spadix, some of the stuff you said before I actually decided to dive in, was really useful. Loved your point about being 'stouthearted'.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2011466

Thanks again also to @shuvc & @ITNerd.

Guess I will write my story, it's just that while managing-- work, home and driving the car; writing takes the backseat (in someone else's car that too. ;-)

Btw, is there some way to take my query and the responses to it, from @shuvc's thread and incorporate it in the new one i plan to start?

HAWA PAINI
Meanwhile I have a huge pain with tyre pressure - I have OE Michelins Primacy tyres. And i believe the right pressure is 30 psi. Every place I fill air from gives conflicting pressures and fundas.

The good tyre shop in the neighbourhood looks down on petrol pump air pressure accuracy. (By 'good' I mean besides other things, he doesn't use the primitive - hammer attack on tyres, but has an effective rotating machine mounting device.)

Petrol pumps don't promise or contest accuracy or anything, they just say 'don't tip', but the poor chappie needs the tip in life.

So I checked the pressure on a Sunday at the shop and filled 30psi. I ran say 50 kms in the city that week. I didn't fill air anywhere in between, and the next Sunday at the same shop shows a pressure of around 40psi in the 4 tyres.

I immediately asked him if he has another pressure gauge. To which he checked with the other gauge and this showed that the pressure was @ 35psi.

So i demanded an explanation from the decent-ish owner, and the guy confesses that all gauges last them only around 3 months due to heavy usage in the shop.
So the faulty gauge must've been used the first time. And i guess they're not that ruthless with their decommissioning process.

Don't bother trying to make sense out of it, except that none of these places are really reliable. Option is to buy your own gauge and check. I saw some interesting posts from @sgiitk on a DIY air filling option, but that's not going to be practical in my case.

Any successful air filling schemes, experiences, tips?
Also any nitrogen users out here?

Thanks a ton for sharing.
Old 28th October 2010, 15:59   #87
Senior - BHPian

I always use my own gauge and an electric pump. I have used my own gauge since 1974, and also first a foot pump and now electric. Your own gauge (make sure to change it every 3 years or so) is the best. as long as the pressure is consistent a 2psi error across all tyres is not that serious.

As for the USB I had an interesting experience. I had music on a 2GB USB drive. Worked fine. I lost the drive, so put in a 2GB drive (freebie with Time Mag). It would work when I switched the car on. The moment I tries to start the engine (disconnects the accessories momentarily) it would come back with the Unrecognised message. If I disconnect and reconnect it again things are Ok. Solution, buy a 2GB USB drive, and things are kosher again. Looks like some drives take two long to reset after a power outage.
Old 28th October 2010, 20:06   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It would work when I switched the car on. The moment I tries to start the engine (disconnects the accessories momentarily) it would come back with the Unrecognised message. If I disconnect and reconnect it again things are Ok. Solution, buy a 2GB USB drive, and things are kosher again. Looks like some drives take two long to reset after a power outage.
I have seen same behavior with USB1.1 drives and not with USB2.0 drives.
Old 28th October 2010, 22:38   #89
Senior - BHPian

@mkc15: 480Mbps transfer rating sure beats 48Mbps. The former is USB 2.0 and the latter 1.x. I also suspected that the Time Freebie Pen Drive is 1.x.
Old 28th October 2010, 23:35   #90
Senior - BHPian

I see this behaviour even with my iPhone 3G, because I (foolishly) upgraded to iOS4 which makes the device extremely slow. So the connection "times out" before the iPod app loads.

@1Maverick: Nice to know that you're enjoying your new ride, and thanks for the compliment once again! I don't bother to check the air pressure too often. I go by visual cues (never failed me so far in my life) and at some point I think I will buy my own pump + gauge. Of course I've been saying (that I'll buy a set) for a few years now .

Regards,
spadix

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks