Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2012, 13:18   #106
BHPian

Messed up on the programming - help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
The tips given in the link below may be useful to change the door locking behavior of 8th gen Civic.

Door Lock Tricks (Auto Lock, Auto Open) - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

See a method given below to set doors to auto lock when shift gear is moved form P position on Civic AT cars.

Apparently, this info is already there in the manual.
Hey guys - I tried this today. Now I'm having a weird problem -- no second 'click' was heard, but I did as was mentioned:

Park -> II position -> Move gear out of park -> keep lock pressed for 5 seconds (pressed for more than 10) -> put back in park -> turn ignition to 0.

Did that -- not only did it not work - but it seems like the car is stuck in some weird programming mode. Once the key was pulled out, now I cant seem to put it back in. Any idea how to undo this, or reset this? Is there a 'programming mode' type thing in this car?

Mine is a 2006 S-AT btw.

Thanks!
Old 14th August 2012, 14:29   #107
Senior - BHPian

Re: Messed up on the programming - help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
Hey guys - I tried this today. Now I'm having a weird problem -- no second 'click' was heard, but I did as was mentioned:

Park -> II position -> Move gear out of park -> keep lock pressed for 5 seconds (pressed for more than 10) -> put back in park -> turn ignition to 0.

Did that -- not only did it not work - but it seems like the car is stuck in some weird programming mode. Once the key was pulled out, now I cant seem to put it back in. Any idea how to undo this, or reset this? Is there a 'programming mode' type thing in this car?

Mine is a 2006 S-AT btw.

Thanks!
Suggest you to follow the procedure for undoing the activity as mentioned in the forum link. Regarding key, are you sure you are trying to remove/put in the key when the gear is in P mode? Because it doesn't work otherwise.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 17:24   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo

Suggest you to follow the procedure for undoing the activity as mentioned in the forum link. Regarding key, are you sure you are trying to remove/put in the key when the gear is in P mode? Because it doesn't work otherwise.
Had to call Honda. Not sure how, but this programming broke the ignition switch logic which knows when there is a key in and when it's not in. The barrel is locked. Result: need to change the lock. Cost: 13000. Highly recommend others dont try this auto unlocking trick. It doesn't work- and somehow screwed up my lock system.
Old 15th August 2012, 17:34   #109
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic- Tips/Tricks/Hacks

Quote:
Had to call Honda. Not sure how, but this programming broke the ignition switch logic which knows when there is a key in and when it's not in. The barrel is locked. Result: need to change the lock. Cost: 13000. Highly recommend others dont try this auto unlocking trick. It doesn't work- and somehow screwed up my lock system.
Did you try another mechanic/garage's opinion before going for such expensive repair.HASS is known only to replace and not repair anything that is broken.Try to show it a good garage if possible before shelling out so much money to HASS.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 18:24   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very stupid suggestion, but did you try moving the steering a bit to the left or right and then inserting the key. Sometimes if the car is parked with the steering in a certain position the key does not go in.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2012, 23:15   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The steps mentioned have been mentioned on various international civic forums too & nobody seems to have reported an issue like yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Did you try another mechanic/garage's opinion before going for such expensive repair.HASS is known only to replace and not repair anything that is broken.Try to show it a good garage if possible before shelling out so much money to HASS.
+1

I seriously wonder why would following a step like the one mentioned would brake a logic. I too would suggest to get it inspected elsewhere before carrying out this lock change.
Technocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 17:51   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
but did you try moving the steering a bit to the left or right and then inserting the key. Sometimes if the car is parked with the steering in a certain position the key does not go in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I too would suggest to get it inspected elsewhere before carrying out this lock change.
Hi, Two things.

First, the programming will indeed work (personally had tried as well), but only on the post facelift versions. If i remember it correctly, this has been confirmed in detail in this thread or the Civic maintenance thread, please check.

Second, as @akshay mentioned, the key being locked out is common in case the steering is locked. Just try moving the steering left/right inserting the key and everything will be alrite. This feature is there in all cars, starting from M800.

But what i seriously doubt is, why would HASS suggest a 13k repair for this. Can you please reconfirm after trying the above?

Last edited by sarathlal : 12th November 2012 at 18:04.
Old 14th November 2012, 08:53   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal

Hi, Two things.

First, the programming will indeed work (personally had tried as well), but only on the post facelift versions. If i remember it correctly, this has been confirmed in detail in this thread or the Civic maintenance thread, please check.

Second, as @akshay mentioned, the key being locked out is common in case the steering is locked. Just try moving the steering left/right inserting the key and everything will be alrite. This feature is there in all cars, starting from M800.

But what i seriously doubt is, why would HASS suggest a 13k repair for this. Can you please reconfirm after trying the above?
Mine is pre facelift. It's definitely not a steering lock issue. Naturally, I tried all of that and even had a HASS guy come over to see what's wrong. He broke the lock open, with the lock hanging down from the steering as a temp measure. I had to shove the key in, and then turn a small notch in the plastic that was hanging out to start the car with another (any) key as long as the main key was plugged in to the lock to ensure immobilizer doesn't kick in.

They claimed that the lock needed replacement because there was a problem with the cylinder of the main lock - the one in the ignition. Had to change all locks for 13.

Supposedly this is a common problem with the civic. It just is weird that the lock cylinder jammed while programming. It had jammed in 'in' position even after the key was pulled out, so impossible to insert key again.
Old 14th November 2012, 09:48   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Supposedly this is a common problem with the civic. It just is weird that the lock cylinder jammed while programming. It had jammed in 'in' position even after the key was pulled out, so impossible to insert key again.
Sad to hear this. If they write something on the manual, isn't it suppose to work as is. Also, does this mean that we have to burn this cash from our pocket? No way to claim it?
Old 29th November 2012, 08:11   #115
Senior - BHPian

I own a 2006 Honda civic. in the newer models, I've seen an aux port below the power outlet. can this be retrofitted in my older civic too? without an aux port, listening to music is. pain
Old 29th November 2012, 09:00   #116
BANNED

I cannot understand one thing, one tires to reprogram the system, and then complains that this it that has been hit for a six. I always thought any attempt to reprogram an ECU is at your own risk (and cost).
Old 29th November 2012, 12:30   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I own a 2006 Honda civic. in the newer models, I've seen an aux port below the power outlet. can this be retrofitted in my older civic too? without an aux port, listening to music is. pain
Yes, can be done.
Check the attached file.
civic06auxguide.pdf
Old 15th June 2014, 10:15   #118
sun
BHPian

Pardon me for my ignorance, I do not own a civic.

Does a 2010 V-MT have an USB slot for flash drives ?
Old 6th July 2014, 01:45   #119
BHPian

I have a small query -

For the AT models, when you put the transmission into sport do the manual gears (current gear selection) start showing in the lcd..or do they only show once you engage the paddles?
Old 6th July 2014, 19:30   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokztar View Post
I have a small query -

For the AT models, when you put the transmission into sport do the manual gears (current gear selection) start showing in the lcd..or do they only show once you engage the paddles?
They show only when paddles are used.

I wish I could turn them on even in D-mode, you can then study how the auto works.
(It is a compliment to the Civic that it is hard to find the exact gear it is in, when on auto).
manim is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks