Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 09:20   #91
BANNED

There are three big advantages of having your own pump (foot or electric):

1. The air in most garages has a high moisture content (proximity to the washing line etc.). This will induce more pressure variations in the tyres as it warms up and cools down.
2. You check the tyres when cold.
3. Most Important: How many of us keep the spare properly inflated. I am sure less than 10%. So if you have a flat, and change the wheel, then you can pump it up. Actually the manufacturers also encourage being lazy with the spare. Almost all spares are mounted upside down in the boot. Thus checking the tyre pressure means removing the spare from its mount, checking the pressure, and fixing it back - a real pain. How much extra will it cost to provide a longer bolt to allow the fixing of the tyres right side up.
Old 29th October 2010, 19:00   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Maverick View Post
Meanwhile I have a huge pain with tyre pressure - I have OE Michelins Primacy tyres. And i believe the right pressure is 30 psi. Every place I fill air from gives conflicting pressures and fundas.

Also any nitrogen users out here?

Thanks a ton for sharing.
I changed the OE Bridgestone tyres the very next day of buying the car to Michelin PLCs. I was told to maintain a tyre pressure of 32 psi and I have been filling nitrogen from day one. I make it a point to check the tyrr pressure at least once in a month. Plus, I have my own gauge that I carry to verify the actual tyre pressure.

Btw, though it is belated, congrats on your purchase and welcome to the club.
Old 29th October 2010, 22:37   #93
BANNED

@1Maverick; Air is 78% Nitrogen, and it is free. I rate nitrogen filling at par with Snake Oil.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2010, 16:31   #94

Thanks mate @rr_zen.

@sgiitk Lol. Now to go find a air pressure gauge and pump in Mumbai. Any brands you recommend sir?

(Freedom! -- and now, my teambhp posts have crossed the chaperoning stage, and get posted directly. Tx mods.)
Old 28th August 2011, 20:39   #95
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic- Tips/Tricks/Hacks

Is there any way for the left side rear view mirror to be closed/opened solely using the mirror switches ? Mine is '07 model civic.

thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 21:59   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Is there any way for the left side rear view mirror to be closed/opened solely using the mirror switches ? Mine is '07 model civic.

thanks
I remember this being discussed before, and the only way for doing that is by hand-muscle-power. But I don't know if that will damage the motor.

Only way is to always open/close both simultaneously using the switches.
Old 29th August 2011, 14:04   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post

thanks
Technically, you can manually close the open mirror on the left side, but this will again get opened when you operate the switch next time.

By the way, this was a subject which created a bit of hostility here earlier on another thread. I don't see a case where I need only the right mirror open and left one closed. I wold rather close both of them in real narrow streets or while parking or open both while driving normally. For me, both mirrors are required for a car like Civic, especially the left one where the driver would have the least view. Another advantage I found with left mirror open is that it prevents bikers and other vehicles coming too close to the car and possibly scratching/denting the body which is clearly more expensive than replacing the mirror.
Old 21st November 2011, 01:25   #98
BHPian

This ain't no trick or hack question but could anybody tell me wether the rear seats can be folded i mean the back rest part ? It would be helpful in transporting items like rods etc . Even a vacumming under the seats will be easier!

Last edited by m-hawk : 21st November 2011 at 01:27.
Old 21st November 2011, 01:35   #99
BHPian

nope the rear seats cannot be folded as they are fixed by bolts and locking system

Honda has not provided foldable seats in rear for civic
Old 21st November 2011, 08:03   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
This ain't no trick or hack question but could anybody tell me wether the rear seats can be folded i mean the back rest part ? It would be helpful in transporting items like rods etc . Even a vacumming under the seats will be easier!
Not possible as per the current design. I had always felt why did they omit this useful feature, especially since the usable space in the boot is on the lower side.
Old 5th March 2012, 15:33   #101
BHPian

Hi on the FE front I recently picked up a pre-owned Civic A/T and I got 8.9 kmpl in the city (Full tank to full tank method) and it was the same for nearly two fills. I then changed all the fluids (Yes every fluid!) and a stock K&N replacement and the FE has gone up to 9.7 kmpl
All this in medium to heavy Indiranagar Bangalore traffic which doesnt let you cross 45 KM/hr at any point

Some quick city driving tips:
1. Resist the temptation to speed up to be in a higher gear. It is counterproductive
2. Do not step hard on the gas... with a slow nudge the gear change is at around 1800 RPM. If you step hard, the gear changes are always after 2000 RPM
3. When you hit a stop light, shift to N and switch off. These big engined cars are guzzlers at idle speed

I will do a highway spin and try to give you all an FE update.
navinmra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 18:43   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navinmra View Post
I will do a highway spin and try to give you all an FE update.
If you have not already read this, try:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-must-dos.html

Regarding FE, Many have got 16+ kmpl on highway drives on the AT.
Old 5th March 2012, 20:53   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
If you have not already read this, try:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-must-dos.html

Regarding FE, Many have got 16+ kmpl on highway drives on the AT.
Manim I did. Its a very informative (and comprehensive) thread on maintaining this beauty.
Most folks manage good FE on the highway (I actually managed 44 MPG on a Mitsubishi Galant between Dallas and Austin) but I felt some quick and dirty tips for city driving may help!
Consider this: I managed a 8% increase with a good service and some more keen observation of how the tranny behaves. I hope to learn more and present any further FE improvements in the city conditions.
Old 5th March 2012, 22:49   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navinmra View Post
...some more keen observation of how the tranny behaves. I hope to learn more and present any further FE improvements in the city conditions.
(OffTopic for this thread)
Yes, it took me a few months to learn how the AT behaves (this was the first AT in my life). The initial FE even on highways was only 8.5 to 10 kmpl . But after I mastered the art, it climbed to 16+ kmpl!
Old 7th March 2012, 11:44   #105
BHPian

Actually I managed 46 mpg on a Toyota Echo between Philly and New Jersey! Avoided the I95/ turnpike, managed speeds of 50 mph through state roads at 2 am and no braking for the most part and voila I was pleasantly surprised! This was way back in 2004 :-)
This hyermiling thing is addictive!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks