Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Vote ONLY if you are an i20 owner. How do you find the air-conditioner effectiveness?
Excellent (Chilly) 21 26.25%
Average (Just about manages) 36 45.00%
Poor (Inadequate) 23 28.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 17:55   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I own a Elantra with ACC and my Friend owns a Verna SX, i have observed that the system does not select fresh air mode when sudden cooling is required in auto mode.

Yes it does select recirculation mode at times when not required but never on hot summer afternoon.
Old 30th April 2010, 21:33   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Guys, there is a another tried and tested method to get better cooling from the existing equipment in your i20. My cousin did the same in his Daewoo Nexia and he's all praises for the cooling. He replaced the recommended Gas with Deep Freezer's Gas and got the oil changed (which?, this is manadatory), his car cools better than before. Since all the i20's today are under warranty, I won't recommend this but this can be a possible solution best executed by an experienced AC Mechanic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I do not recommend this as the consequences are unknown and it would be best not tamper with a brand new car's AC. It would also void the warranty.
The text in bold in my previous reply is the portion which has not been quoted in your reply. I've already advised against this change. Buddy, no offense meant but please take note of the same in future .

AbhiJ, you should take up the case of your car with Hyundai aggressively as you've got a flawed AC possibly with a manufacturing defect. I again took my bro's i20 for a ride today with temperature being shown as 39 C (Error, unknown) and it was able to cool much better than my Santro contrary to some of the views here.

Last edited by tsk13 : 30th April 2010 at 21:38.
Old 1st May 2010, 00:47   #138
BHPian

Quote:
^^ I own a Elantra with ACC and my Friend owns a Verna SX, i have observed that the system does not select fresh air mode when sudden cooling is required in auto mode.

Yes it does select recirculation mode at times when not required but never on hot summer afternoon.

One of my friends has both, the Verna CRDI SX & the Sonata Embera (Petrol) in both the cars ACC always starts in the external air mode irrespective of the outside temp.
Old 1st May 2010, 13:59   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I Personally own a Elantra and Punto EP, both have ACC. I have never seen any of the climate control system suck in fresh air when maximum cooling is asked for on hot summer afternoon in auto mode.

No offences meant but Instead of suggesting experiments as Permanently closing fresh air system and replacing the OE gas with deep freezer gas lets suggest some sensible options like contacting Hyundai. Tampering with AC system will not only void the warranty but might also damage the car.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:04   #140
Senior - BHPian

.anshuman, the gas replacement may sound absurd to some but this is very much possible and has been executed. People who first talked of fitting Esteem's or Baleno's engine in a small Zen must have been laughed at and termed illogical but they've proven themselves.

Why don't ask a mechanic about how safe it is, they know the best.
Old 1st May 2010, 19:27   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Guys, there is a another tried and tested method to get better cooling from the existing equipment in your i20. My cousin did the same in his Daewoo Nexia and he's all praises for the cooling. He replaced the recommended Gas with Deep Freezer's Gas and got the oil changed (which?, this is manadatory), his car cools better than before.
Interesting !

Just for the sake of knowledge, could u pls share more details on this. What gas, R22 ? What oil ?
Old 2nd May 2010, 21:11   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Interesting !

Just for the sake of knowledge, could u pls share more details on this. What gas, R22 ? What oil ?
I didn't get hook of my cousin but asked my uncle about the gas (he's an industry veteran), he said the gas which I'm talking of is R134 BUT advised against using it in the stock equipment of the car as a lot of mechanical changes are required. It's pure luck that my cousin's car isn't giving problems else it can be fatal.

This mod reminds me of how one BHPian got 175/60 R13 on Xing's stock rims and was pro-it even though people like Nikhil advised against it.
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:26   #143
BHPian

One of my colleagues, who owns a Subaru Legacy which has ACC, told me that the ACC occasionally lets in fresh air from out side when it senses that the air inside is stale beyond certain set limits.

When he gets the foul smell from outside, thats when he knows that the the air from outside is being taken in, he manually change the mode from fresh air to recirculation.

Though the exact working of ACC in different cars might not be the same, this may be part of the problem with I20's cooling, if at all the i20 has ACC. The smaller capacity of the compressor in i20 aint helping either.
Old 3rd May 2010, 12:31   #144
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
^^ The turbo lag is not as much an Engine issue its more prominent due to the tall gearing, i am sure the new 6 speed gearbox will have much better driveability.

RPM @100 kph in 5th gear
Swift= ~2500rpm
Punto=~2500rpm
i20 CRDi=~2000rpm
The older i20 CRDI does 100 @ 2100 or 2150 rpm but definitely not at 2K rpm. So if the new i20 CRDI does 100 at 2K rpm, then I believe the other gears have closer gear ratios.
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:55   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Atleast ford didn't mess up the AC on the Figo. Its the best aircon on any hatch!
try the jazz!! beats any other hatch's ac hollow. though i don't deny issues with its price.
Old 4th May 2010, 02:23   #146
Senior - BHPian

Problem Solved : More or less :)

Sorry for the delay in post the results after my "wash the air filter" experiment... but I did not want to post until I was 100% sure of its result.

Well.. it worked. After washing the cabin air filter, the air flow has increased significantly.

I have also STOPPED using the Auto mode completely - At least for peak summers.

With the combination of the two : The cooling is now MUCH better, and I used it the last couple of days in the afternoon, set at 24 C, Face Blower, Fan Level 4/8.

Overall I would call the cooling performance now : satisfactory.

Side Note: The Hyundai service station should have changed the cabin air filter when it was sent to them for a checkup...
Old 26th May 2010, 22:03   #147

One possible solution is to close the air blowers (sorry if the term used is wrong) on the non - driver's side if you are alone while driving.... This is possibly one of the solutions for fast cooling... I use the same in my i20
Old 27th May 2010, 04:11   #148
Senior - BHPian

My friend took his i20 to HMP New Delhi and they replaced the gas to solve the problem but to no avail. Hyundai should replace the affected parts under warranty rather than taking customers for a ride.
Old 2nd June 2010, 22:37   #149
BHPian

i have legal tints, i have those black cloth shades that are sold at Delhi red lights( 6 of them all over the windows inside), i keep the AC on max, the fan on max, i close the AC vents on the other side closed, the vents on driver side full on face, i keep the front sunshades down, i park under a tree, i have that roll accross shade on the windshield when parked and i have had the AC serviced and the gas refilled (in a hardly 10 month old car/the first i20 crdi 1.4 of tbhp)..... AND YET THE AC DOES NOT COOL !!!!
Old 2nd June 2010, 23:24   #150
Senior - BHPian

Your car is also in the league of those affected by AC problems. Yesterday night I took the i20 for a ride and it was getting so cold that I had to set the temperature to 22c, while the temperature read 38c. The irony is that the previous owner sold this car because he wasn't satisfied with the cooling.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks