Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Vote ONLY if you are an i20 owner. How do you find the air-conditioner effectiveness?
Excellent (Chilly) 21 26.25%
Average (Just about manages) 36 45.00%
Poor (Inadequate) 23 28.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 14:24   #196
rbp
BHPian

Hyundai offers solution to i20's AC and rattle problems-Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Quote:
Hyundai India has finally come up with solutions for airconditioning and rattling problems in the i20. Since quite a time i20 owners have been complaining about lack of cooling, which can be a terrible thing in the extremely hot summers of the north. Occurrence of rattles from many cars was also reported.

In order to resolve these issues Hyundai India is now offering the affected customers with ECM reprogramme to enhance the AC performance. For the rattles an addition of urethane pad & yoke spring has been suggested.

These changes will be offered free of cost to the customers. The rattle issues will be addressed only for those affected and the AC solution is applicable only for certain batches and any clear information about these batches is yet to surface.

While Hyundai is calling up the eligible customers other i20 owners can call up their dealership and confirm about their eligibility by giving out the registration number. Dealers from New Delhi confirmed the move by Hyundai India.
Three cheers to hyundai at least they acknowledged. I am sure, this thread has played a part in it.
Old 6th August 2010, 14:52   #197
Senior - BHPian

What Are The Criteria Used During AC Cooling Tests?

Hi guys,

Ive been going through this thread and have found alot of mixed reviews with regards to the performance of airconditioning in different models/cars. I have experienced the Auto AC in a friend's i20 in the peak summer of Pune and also the drive from Pune to Mumbai and found no issues what so ever. I even find the airconditioning in the Swift to be very good as I personally own one. Can't comment on other as I have not experienced them.

So my question here is, when performing these tests, what are the criteria required or taken into account? I personally feel, that the tests should be done keeping the following into account :

1. Test should be carried out in summers, preferably in Delhi/Mumbai/Pune or any other place having extreme climates.
2. Test should be done at 12 noon when the sun is directly above us and at its peak.
3. The test car should be without any tinted film or aftermarket upholstery and should be of similar engine capacity.
4. One test to be done when car is parked in the sun in an open area for around 30 minutes and then AC started on idle. Another to be done when car is parked in the sun in an open area for around 30 minutes and then AC started when car is driven.
5. AC to be tested when car is filled with 05 occupants.

I am no expert but I guess this should be the criteria for testing? Do share your thoughts.
Old 8th August 2010, 09:57   #198

It's good that at last Hyundai is doing something to address the AC problems. As already mentioned by many folks here, i20 is not a cheap car by any means, and to have a poor AC in such a car was sort of a blunder on Hyundai's part.
But, as they say "better late than never", it feels good to know that the issue has been addressed and would be taken care for the existing customers as well.
After resolution of this problem i20 will become a better car.

I am definitely sure that thread would have played a part here.
Old 9th August 2010, 20:49   #199
BHPian

Just sat today in my friend's newly acquiqed 6 speed crdi i20. My comments on its a/c-
parameter:-
1. Ambient temprature-37*C
2. Humidity-70-90%
3. Time of day- 12 noon
3. Person on board-5
4. A/C setings- couldn't figure out as i was siting at the rear
Now with these above stated parameters, i found the a/c cooling to be more than adeqaute(it wasn't chilly though). So i think 2010 i20s do have sufficient cooling.
Old 18th August 2010, 19:02   #200

Guys, i got my new i20 Asta 1.2 (o) 3 days ago and the first thing i noticed basis on these complaints was the AC. Believe me, exactly after 2-3 minutes of switching on the AC, the front seat passengers started freezing and the passengers at the rear seat were also quite comfortable. Please note that i was using auto AC with temperature set to 20c, blower at 2nd level with air flow from front vents only. Also, the sunroof cover was open which was making the car warm due to the greenhouse effect with the sun overhead.
Also, during PDI i checked this with the sales guy and he informed that the AC did have problems with some earlier i20 models and as per customer feedback, the company did some thing with the ECU programing and the compressor gas capacity to enhance the AC effectiveness.
I drove my car with 3 people max so far with AC on and i never even had a slight feeling of the car being underpowered in any way. Although, the power to weight ratio is less as compared to the competitors but it has got its own thrill while we race up.
I believe Hyundai has really worked upon the consumer feedback and this is what i belive is the reason behind their success story.
Any new buyers of i20 - please share your experience.
Old 18th August 2010, 21:27   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishesh85 View Post
Guys, i got my new i20 Asta 1.2 (o) 3 days ago and the first thing i noticed basis on these complaints was the AC. Believe me, exactly after 2-3 minutes of switching on the AC, the front seat passengers started freezing and the passengers at the rear seat were also quite comfortable. Please note that i was using auto AC with temperature set to 20c, blower at 2nd level with air flow from front vents only. Also, the sunroof cover was open which was making the car warm due to the greenhouse effect with the sun overhead.
Also, during PDI i checked this with the sales guy and he informed that the AC did have problems with some earlier i20 models and as per customer feedback, the company did some thing with the ECU programing and the compressor gas capacity to enhance the AC effectiveness.
I drove my car with 3 people max so far with AC on and i never even had a slight feeling of the car being underpowered in any way. Although, the power to weight ratio is less as compared to the competitors but it has got its own thrill while we race up.
I believe Hyundai has really worked upon the consumer feedback and this is what i belive is the reason behind their success story.
Any new buyers of i20 - please share your experience.

This season it will work. Its in peak summer when i faced the prob. At this time even I am fine with A/C. I still have to take it to service station.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:45   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
This season it will work. Its in peak summer when i faced the prob. At this time even I am fine with A/C. I still have to take it to service station.
Agreed... I bought my car in August 2009 and I discovered the issues of the A/c only after peak summers came.. (i.e. after 8-9 months)
Old 20th August 2010, 18:18   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Agreed... I bought my car in August 2009 and I discovered the issues of the A/c only after peak summers came.. (i.e. after 8-9 months)
lets hope.. but the only observation with respect to this complaint is that i can feel the difference in cooling with respect to my previous Santro. I never doubted my Santro's AC and was quite happy with it and for my i20 it felt even better.
Old 29th August 2010, 15:54   #204
BHPian

IMO the CRDi engine has enough juice to power the A/c effectively. Also - the Aircon on the BS IV has been reworked per the dealer that I had been to - so the A/c blues should now be history at-least on the oil-burning i20s !.
Old 29th August 2010, 16:38   #205
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by calm_cruiser View Post
the Aircon on the BS IV has been reworked per the dealer that I had been to
What rework !! ECU upgrade/toping up gas ! Please provide the details if anything is new.
Old 29th August 2010, 16:41   #206
rbp
BHPian

I will wait for the summers to arrive before the final judgement.
Old 29th August 2010, 21:34   #207
BANNED

Hyundai i20 Air Conditioner.

Hyundai i20 Air Conditioner.
Let us know each other well- Ubercool

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: 10._PB_Air_Conditioning_Eng.doc
Old 30th August 2010, 00:51   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calm_cruiser View Post
IMO the CRDi engine has enough juice to power the A/c effectively. Also - the Aircon on the BS IV has been reworked per the dealer that I had been to - so the A/c blues should now be history at-least on the oil-burning i20s !.
As per my knowledge, the AC unit still remain the same, except the new ECU upgrade where the coolant is added in excess and the thermistor cut-off is lowered (previously set 13 to 6???, not 100% sure, someone please confirm). Also could any existing owners who went ahead with the ECU upgrade comment on any noticeable improvement in the cooling?
The overall performance of the AC is not bad, but a car like i20 surely deserves a better unit
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:39   #209
BHPian

I was quite happy with the AC after getting my car's air filters cleaned, but after reading that there's an ECU update available, thought why not get it done anyway.

I got the ECU upgrade + gas topup done yesterday, along with the "auto-lock-doors-at-40-kmph". (No rattles for me, so no other updates) Both were done for free by Trident Hyundai.

So far? The cabin seems to cool a little faster than before after leaving the car outdoors in the afternoon. But the weather in Bangalore is very cool and pleasant at the moment, so I don't really know if there's been a significant difference in cooling. I guess only at the onset of summer will we really know how effective this ECU update is.

Other than that, no change in power delivery, the car is running well. I don't think there will be a change in mileage either, but will have to monitor that over a longer period of time.
Old 18th November 2010, 12:25   #210
BHPian

The second service of my i20 was on last Monday. I got surprised to notice that the AC performance has been improved tremendously. After owning i20, I was totally disappointed on the AC performance which includes the Glove box cooling. The 500ml coke bottle got chilled within 30 minutes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks