Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Vote ONLY if you are an i20 owner. How do you find the air-conditioner effectiveness?
Excellent (Chilly) 21 26.25%
Average (Just about manages) 36 45.00%
Poor (Inadequate) 23 28.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 22:20   #181
BHPian

i was just replying to the poll created by rbp on i20's AC about whether satisfied or not or not bothered. I just said i was not satisfied.
Old 6th July 2010, 22:41   #182
Senior - BHPian

I have chosen, Average - Just about manages...

Please note that this is because A/C performance for my car improved significantly the moment I stopped using the Auto mode and cleaned the cabin filter..
Old 7th July 2010, 12:50   #183
BHPian

In my case i dont switch on the a/c as soon as i enter the car, i roll down all four windows switch on the blower full speed and drive for about 2-3 mins so that fresh air gets in. Then i use the auto mode set at 21 degrees after rolling up the windows and recirculation ON. As soon as i switch on the recirculation mode the blower speed increases manifold and the cabin begins to cool down slowly but steadily.

But passengers in the back seat does no benefit as soon as the ones sitting in the front. They will have to suffer for atleast 10 to 15 mins before the cabin cools down.

I feel that the rear ac vent also adds to the problem, it is open most of the time and it takes away power from the blower.

Has anyone tried to block the rear vent and set the air flow direction to face, it might help in increasing the blower speed and thus throwing more cool air out of the front vents

Last edited by somu_john : 7th July 2010 at 12:53.
Old 7th July 2010, 14:17   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somu_john View Post
In my case i dont switch on the a/c as soon as i enter the car, i roll down all four windows switch on the blower full speed and drive for about 2-3 mins so that fresh air gets in. Then i use the auto mode set at 21 degrees after rolling up the windows and recirculation ON. As soon as i switch on the recirculation mode the blower speed increases manifold and the cabin begins to cool down slowly but steadily.

I feel that the rear ac vent also adds to the problem, it is open most of the time and it takes away power from the blower.

Has anyone tried to block the rear vent and set the air flow direction to face, it might help in increasing the blower speed and thus throwing more cool air out of the front vents
The fastest way to cool the interiors after the car is parked in sun for time is to Switch on the AC with external air on and roll down the windows a bit to allow fresh air from outside(which is cooler than the air in cabin) and allow the heat to escape, When you feel the inside temperature is equal to outside temperature, roll up the windows + Switch recirculation mode on with blower at high speed.

i20 does not come with rear AC vents. The rear AC vents you are talking about are under rear seats and work only when the air is directed towards feet. Most premium Hatchbacks have these vents, including my Punto.
Old 8th July 2010, 19:42   #185
BHPian

Voted as just adequate

Good to see the poll added to this thread. I just voted the AC as just about manages in line with my earlier comment on this thread.

- ShanG
------------------------------
1991 Geo Metro (Sold)
2009 Hyundai i20 Asta
Old 9th July 2010, 22:53   #186
BHPian

Just the need to do many manouvers to cool the interiors shows the weakness of the AC. Tell me which other car requires all these tricks and tips? Any news of any upgrade planned or offered by Hyundai ? i know i cant survive another summer with this AC in the present condition.
Old 10th July 2010, 16:55   #187

This thread has been most useful, I own an Asta 1.2 and have the same issues with the AC system. I will look at cleaning the air filters.

I had a question too actually, I drive around in B'lore with the blower switched on, but the AC switched off, would this still lead to the clogging of the filters and am I causing damage to the car's AC? The reason I ask this is because of late I have noticed that even with the blower at full speed, I hardly get any air into the cabin. Also there is a strong vibration near the dead pedal and a lot of noise (as if to conpensate for the loss of air !!!).
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:38   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksoul View Post

If that's the case, why don't you take the car to your service center and ask them to do it. It's takes 15 minutes and they won't even charge you anything.

Folks: before going on a rant on how annoying you think the AC effectiveness is, please first try out the solutions in this thread.

I asked the guys at the service center to check & clean / change the air-filter, during my 2nd service a week ago.. They said its best not to be touched unless its a major issue as doing it could impact the warranty !
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:01   #189
BANNED

A/c should be useful in summer and it failed in that test. Voted for Poor (Inadequate).
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:06   #190
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanG View Post
I asked the guys at the service center to check & clean / change the air-filter, during my 2nd service a week ago.. They said its best not to be touched unless its a major issue as doing it could impact the warranty !
I hope you mentioned AC air filter to the service guy.

By the way some update for my car, took the car to the service center as the air flow had dropped drastically and at full speed I could hear a choking sound, the servicing guy, got near the front passenger seat and with in a few minutes pulled out two filters, man I could not believe so much dust could have accumlated in it, I could see small leaves, fine dust etc, he took it inside the garage cleaned it thoroughly and put it back, now the air flow is fine, but am unable to test the cooling as it has been raining everywhere, I still feel, the ac will just about manage to cool in normal weather, but in hot humid climate I don't have any hopes from this AC, for the rear guys, god save them.

For the poll, I have voted poor inadequate, coz this is suppose to be a premium car and not any damm cheap car, we deserve better than something that is just below average.

Hope someone from Hyundai see's this poll.

Last edited by rbp : 22nd July 2010 at 11:09.
Old 25th July 2010, 14:40   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

guys,my i20 CRDI is june manufactured and i feel the AC to be more chilly than the one i found in the test drive car(again a CRDI).It could cool the cabin from 38 degrees effectively within 15-20 minutes and there is no sunfilm in the car.Are the new i20s coming with a better AC compressor because i feel the performance is definitely better or is it just my perception?
Old 4th August 2010, 00:47   #192
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I voted for Excellent but I think I need to find a better category now considering Hyundai Service has reprogrammed the AC of my i20 Asta (P) and it's performing better than ever. The AC solution is finally here and I've created a thread on the same (along with solution to the Rattle problem). Link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...c-rattles.html
Old 4th August 2010, 01:30   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

i20 Owners pls get your ECU's updated and post your reviews post upgrade. Hope this resolves the issue.

@tsk13: Thanks for updating us.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:37   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
i20 Owners pls get your ECU's updated and post your reviews post upgrade. Hope this resolves the issue.

@tsk13: Thanks for updating us.
You're welcome Anshuman. The best part is that Service Centers being called up across the nation have the concerned AC update unlike in the case when ECU covers were to be installed, only few knew about it.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:40   #195
Senior - BHPian

Just read on the Steering Noise and A/C thread ... (posted by sagarpadaki)

"The SA also mentioned that by default the AC comes with 350 grams of refrigerant gas.And they have been instructed to put top it up to 430.Guys confirm this matter also with your hyundai service centers"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks