Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Vote ONLY if you are an i20 owner. How do you find the air-conditioner effectiveness?
Excellent (Chilly) 21 26.25%
Average (Just about manages) 36 45.00%
Poor (Inadequate) 23 28.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2010, 16:15   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Removing the filters will choke the cooling coil after a certain period of time and that time will depend on how dusty condition you are driving in and how dusty your car floor is.

Cleaning of coiling coil would be a cumbersome project. The whole dashboard will have to be removed.

Been there, Done that. Hence, I won't advise anyone to go for this short term solution.
I absolutely agree to Kpzen here. Cleaning of the AC system choked due to absence of filter will be a time taking and expensive job. I am so relieved after the introduction of AC filters, earlier getting the system cleaned before every summers was mandatory.

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th April 2010 at 16:17.
Old 27th April 2010, 23:50   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I absolutely agree to Kpzen here. Cleaning of the AC system choked due to absence of filter will be a time taking and expensive job. I am so relieved after the introduction of AC filters, earlier getting the system cleaned before every summers was mandatory.
Removal of the filter is only a temp solution...

I am working on:
1) Proper cleaning/replacing the filter
2) A new filter which blocks the air a bit lesser.

Ps. I have two technical queries...

1) If my car a/c is running 100% on re circulation mode, is the filter really that important? I mean the cabin air is just being re circulated right? Is constant filtering a must?

2) Using ACC, I have never felt the compressor in any of my cars "cut off" when the desired temperature is achieved. Home A/Cs cut off the compressor at regular intervals, but in my car the compressor never switches off, even with the temp set at 28 C.

Hence logically, to attain a temperature of say 24 C
System a) Your A/c remains ON at full. The cold air is mixed with HOT air to attain the temp required.
System b) The compressor speed can be adjusted/lowered to deliver 24 C air, like the new "inverter" split A/cs in the market.

Which mechanism do the cars use... a or b?

Last edited by AbhiJ : 28th April 2010 at 00:03.
Old 28th April 2010, 00:11   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Removal of the filter is only a temp solution...

Ps. I have two technical queries...[/u]

1) If my car a/c is running 100% on re circulation mode, is the filter really that important? I mean the cabin air is just being re circulated right? Is constant filtering a must?

The difference after removal of filter + the right settings is very noticable.
The AC filter also filters the air in cabin when in recirculation mode. For
Example: Years ago i got the fresh air hole permanently sealed of '96 Zen to achieve better cooling and avoid outside smell but even after this i was surprised to see the amount of dirt in the AC system at the time of service.

My point is over the time removal of AC filter will do more harm than good. Getting a new AC filter is an option you should consider, i am sure the i20's AC filter does not cost much. Punto's filter costs ~250bucks and Elantra's filter is more expensive at ~2000 bucks but is very easy to clean and does not need frequent replacement.
Old 28th April 2010, 00:18   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Getting a new AC filter is an option you should consider
Agreed. Intend on getting a new set. Will reinstall the current filter on your advice..

Actually today I sat in a 15 day old i20. And tfhe blower in that car was noticably better than mine...

That got me thinking that maybe my filter is beyond cleaning and requires replacement.
Old 28th April 2010, 02:18   #125
BHPian

Quote:

Ps. I have two technical queries...

2) Using ACC, I have never felt the compressor in any of my cars "cut off" when the desired temperature is achieved. Home A/Cs cut off the compressor at regular intervals, but in my car the compressor never switches off, even with the temp set at 28 C.

Hence logically, to attain a temperature of say 24 C
System a) Your A/c remains ON at full. The cold air is mixed with HOT air to attain the temp required.
System b) The compressor speed can be adjusted/lowered to deliver 24 C air, like the new "inverter" split A/cs in the market.

Which mechanism do the cars use... a or b?

The air conditioning systems in all cars do cut-off, whether its manual or climate control the only difference is the frequency with which they cut-off. Since climate control systems give you the option to set the desired temperature they end up cutting-off more frequently if they have been set at moderate temperatures say 25-28 degrees celsius.

To check when the car A/C cuts-off, simply switch it on and open the hood. You'll see that the A/C fan next to the radiator fan is working but when this fan stops working and the A/C is still switched on that is the time when the car's compressor is not working and is in a state of cut-off.

The pollen filters are really not that important if your car is going to be in the internal recirculation mode most of the time. Also in any case more than half the cars sold in the country don't have these anyway. Pollen filters are common in the west and luxury cars in India, its only now that cars under 10 lacs have started having them as OE.

Cars with manual A/C's are Type A for almost 90% of the time.
Cars with climate control systems are Type B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am not too sure about this but I have read this somewhere. If you set the temperature at X degrees in a ACC system and if X is greater than the minimum value that can be set, the air conditioning works by mixing hot air with the cold air to achieve the effect.

That means if you set the temperature to 24, (which is by the way 8 degress above the minimum) the system will mix hot and cold air to achieve the effect. All this effectively means that the A/C compressor would run at the same speed and the car will consume the same amount of fuel.

This mixing of hot and cold air happens in the case of manual car A/C's and not in climate control systems. Climate control systems are more efficient if one uses the temperature setting more carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
According to the best of my knowledge, in an ACC system the compressor will work until the temperature set by the user is attained, shutting off the compressor with only blower working. Once the temperature rises up, the compressor will start working again.

Please correct me if this info is wrong.

Yes this is exactly what happens with climate control systems, these systems are aided by sensors in the cabin and outside the car. Climate control systems if set at say 25-28 degrees celsius, then they will be more efficient in comparison to manual A/C's as the manual A/C is mostly set at the coldest position.

Last edited by maglev : 28th April 2010 at 02:25.
Old 28th April 2010, 02:37   #126
BHPian

My take on climate control systems and Hyundai. As all Hyundai's have the exact same issue.

If I had a Hyundai with a climate control system instead of the Accent then, I would simply do the following:

1) Put the A/C in the internal re-circulation mode.
2) Then happily disconnect the servo motor, which is used to open or close the internal / external air selection flap.
3) Now my car stays on internal re-circulation for as long as I want.

Why would I do this:

1) I can always open the windows, they're powered in any case for the so called "Polluted Fresh Air" we have and then have as much of it as I want.
2) My A/C coil remains CLEAN.
3) A/C remains effective throughout the year, we hardly have winter for more than two months in any case.
Old 28th April 2010, 09:33   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In re-circulation mode the air is sucked from the floor mat area so if u have a dusty floor it will suck it all in.

Quote:
Agreed. Intend on getting a new set. Will reinstall the current filter on your advice..

Actually today I sat in a 15 day old i20. And tfhe blower in that car was noticably better than mine...

That got me thinking that maybe my filter is beyond cleaning and requires replacement.
Abhi J,

Just put the filter in a washing machine and give it a gentle wash. I know it sounds like an atrocious idea but it worked well for me.

Anyways, u are planning to buy a new set of filters so why not give it a shot. There's nothing to lose here.

btw how many kms have u done ?
Old 28th April 2010, 15:05   #128
BHPian

I am back from a trip to Mumbai. I was travelling with my cousin in my I20. The AC was on for the entire trip for about 415kms (Nasik - Mumbai- Nasik). I must say I didnt face any problems with the AC. Infact my cousin had to raise the temp from 17C to 20C as it was getting quite chilly inside.
Old 28th April 2010, 22:19   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

Abhi J,

Just put the filter in a washing machine and give it a gentle wash. I know it sounds like an atrocious idea but it worked well for me.

btw how many kms have u done ?
About 9500 kms...

Great minds think alike .. I washed the filter I read you post...

Only diff is I used concentrated Pril water ...

I dipped the filter in the soap solution... and then washed it in running water opposite of the Airflow...

It must have turned 10 litres of water black in colour...

Will install it tomorrow... lets see what happens..
Old 28th April 2010, 22:21   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About 9500 kms...

Great minds think alike .. I washed the filter I read you post...

Only diff is I used concentrated Pril water ...

I dipped the filter in the soap solution... and then washed it in running water opposite of the Airflow...

It must have turned 10 litres of water black in colour...

Will install it tomorrow... lets see what happens..
AbhiJ, can you maybe post a DIY photoshoot on how to remove, wash and replace the AC filter. I guess it should be more or less the same in i10 also.
Old 28th April 2010, 23:23   #131
Senior - BHPian

Guys, there is a another tried and tested method to get better cooling from the existing equipment in your i20. My cousin did the same in his Daewoo Nexia and he's all praises for the cooling. He replaced the recommended Gas with Deep Freezer's Gas and got the oil changed (which?, this is manadatory), his car cools better than before. Since all the i20's today are under warranty, I won't recommend this but this can be a possible solution best executed by an experienced AC Mechanic.

Thanks Maglev for the inputs. You're a veteran when it comes to Automatic Climate Controls, your ACC gyan to Sachit about his Swift ZXi is still fresh in my mind.
Old 29th April 2010, 15:51   #132
BHPian

Just wanted to update this thread: Ten days after cleaning the AC filter, my Asta 1.2's AC is still working perfectly, cooling the entire car well, and yes, it's gets a bit too cold occasionally when the ACC temp is at 20 degrees.

I've been running the car in re-circulate mode at all times. No complaints from back seat passengers any more.

I agree with what one of the folks above posted: pick any premium hatch, get in the car after it's been parked in peak afternoon heat (37 degrees+) for an hour or so and check the effectiveness of the cooling. It takes a while for the Fabia to cool the entire cabin, and it defintely takes a while longer in the Punto.

@AbhiJ: do let us know if a new filter has made a difference in your car

@Wraith: Glad to know your trip was 'cool'. Have you seen a difference in fuel consumption numbers at different AC temperatures? Just curious.
Old 30th April 2010, 14:17   #133
BHPian

tried this experiment on my Santro to see if the trick works.
Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4-carfever.jpg

The clinical thermometer has minimum temp of 34°C so once A.C. Ran for few minutes i was left with no readings on this mercury based tm.
Old 30th April 2010, 16:28   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
My take on climate control systems and Hyundai. As all Hyundai's have the exact same issue.

If I had a Hyundai with a climate control system instead of the Accent then, I would simply do the following:
Please point out any other Hyundai car with ACC that has cooling issues. The only other Hyundai cars ever sold in India with Auto Climate Control apart from i20 are Elantra, Sonata and Terracan. I have never checked out the Terracan's AC but Elantra and Sonata Embera came with a very powerful AC with no cooling issues.

The best and only way to achieve desired cooling is to select the desired temperature and press Auto( And press recirculation button if the car does not come with a Air Quality sensor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Guys, there is a another tried and tested method to get better cooling from the existing equipment in your i20. My cousin did the same in his Daewoo Nexia and he's all praises for the cooling. He replaced the recommended Gas with Deep Freezer's Gas and got the oil changed (which?, this is manadatory)
I do not recommend this as the consequences are unknown and it would be best not tamper with a brand new car's AC. It would also void the warranty.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:25   #135
BHPian

Quote:

Please point out any other Hyundai car with ACC that has cooling issues. The only other Hyundai cars ever sold in India with Auto Climate Control apart from i20 are Elantra, Sonata and Terracan. I have never checked out the Terracan's AC but Elantra and Sonata Embera came with a very powerful AC with no cooling issues.

The best and only way to achieve desired cooling is to select the desired temperature and press Auto( And press recirculation button if the car does not come with a Air Quality sensor)

My statement did not imply that Hyundai's had cooling issues. I myself have 2 Accents.

What I meant was that in all Hyundai cars which are equipped with a climate control system, the A/C if switched on in the Full Auto Mode then it automatically starts with the external air selection switched on.

Hence to overcome this issue of automated external air selection one can simply disconnect the relevant motor.

This issue is common to all Hyundai's and even found on the Fiat Linea with ACC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks