Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:39   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Engine change for Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI

Your post is very very thin on information. Can we have some more detail?

How old (in years), and how many owners? How much on the odo? Used and maintained normally?

Also, some more details about the smoke emission that triggered the initial fixes? Is this smoke emissions out of the tailpipe, or a smoke leak in the engine bay itself?
Old 2nd June 2014, 18:48   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshanks View Post
There was some smoke emission and they changed the Turbo unit and no luck. They said they will check the compression and they did and it is OK. Now they say we need to open the engine and look for oil rings and if it is worn out, then I need to change the entire engine block costing 1.6 Lakhs.

Is it really the options in front of me.

Kindly give your thoughts and I can even bring my car to Bangalore for a check up, if any one suggests.

Shanks
Very vague.
They are presumably ford.

Anyway, I had opened up my engine sometime back for blowback issues, and the lower half had to be changed.
A used one with about 40k on it cost me 8k in exchange from kashmere gate in Delhi.

Last edited by mayankk : 2nd June 2014 at 18:50.
Old 5th June 2014, 18:15   #33
BHPian

Re: The life of a 1.4 DuraTorq Engine from Ford

Mine is Ford Fiesta, 2007 model II owner. The first owner had driven 55,000 KM's and since 2011 I am using it and today's reading is 1,46,000. Otherwise in excellent condition. Serviced only at the authorized service center. Done all usual replacements of timing belt pulley etc., at correct point of odo reading and oil change.

Since about 2 months, there has been heavy smoke from exhaust. Not that jet black. But never had so much of smoke coming out especially at lower gears. Yes it is taking a slightly dose of engine oil.

Compression is fine, Turbo unit is fine, Pickup is as usual, no unusual sound or vibration.

Now service center says I need to get it opened and possible cause is Oil rings worn out.

I am fine with it, but is it that I need to change the entire lower half or the entire engine replaced?

If that is the only option, is it worth it. How much of a chance am I taking between a used one to a new one (Engine... not car)

Finally can anyone suggest a place in Bangalore or Coimbatore where possibly I can get a lower half or the entire engine, if I have to go for it, or may be from Delhi or Mumbai or Chennai.

Thanks

Shanks
Mysore
Old 5th June 2014, 18:23   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Since about 2 months, there has been heavy smoke from exhaust. Not that jet black. But never had so much of smoke coming out especially at lower gears. Yes it is taking a slightly dose of engine oil.

I am fine with it, but is it that I need to change the entire lower half or the entire engine replaced?
Just replace the piston rings, why change the lower half?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 18:29   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Now service center says I need to get it opened and possible cause is Oil rings worn out.

Thanks

Shanks
Mysore
I meant, in my case the lower half was changed, and it cost me that much.
That's why I'm saying, find a decent fng. Ford A. S. S. is a joke. Across India.
That's standard for them, change everything. And it's highly possible that their fix doesn't actually end up fixing anything at all.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 19:23   #36
BHPian

Quote:
The Ford A.S.Cs are a cruel joke.
Change the rings and a get a head job done if required (valves/guides/stem seals etc..), which would set you back by max 15k along with gasket, oil etc..
Alternatively, if you can wait for sometime, invest ~2k and try a pack of Xado metal conditioner.

Before everything else, get it checked by an independent mech worth his salt. (Turbo plumbing, air intake etc..)

Last edited by jeeva : 5th June 2014 at 19:31.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 20:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally can anyone suggest a place in Bangalore or Coimbatore where possibly I can get a lower half or the entire engine, if I have to go for it, or may be from Delhi or Mumbai or Chennai.
If it is Coimbatore, then i would recommend you to Autozone.

https://plus.google.com/103545886467...ut?gl=in&hl=en

But beware, independent garages are filled with cars of such problems so patient and consistent following up is the key to get things done.
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 00:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Serviced only at the authorized service center. Done all usual replacements of timing belt pulley etc., at correct point of odo reading and oil change.

Since you get the car serviced at ASC, the engine oil used is a 10W30 grade oil which is too thin at 1.5 lac kms on odo .
Drain it and go for Mobil Delvac 1400/MX 15W40 and that should take care of the oil loss to a large extent.
If the oil consumption is upto 1L for 7500kms then there is no need to worry.

For the smoke- Remove the catalytic converter, exhaust end-can (muffler), EGR valve, intake manifold, oil separator and get it cleaned.
Most probably the catalytic converter is choked with soot.
Also, try to use Iftex System D for a few weeks.

P.S- If the mechanic advises you to get the rings/block etc replaced, just let me know by PM.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2014, 10:30   #39
BHPian

As a first step I have changed the engine oil to a higher viscosity 1400/MX 15W40. I am watching the oil consumption, tailpipe is still smoking, my next step would be to use a metal conditioner and get the turbo and cat converter cleaned. last option is to open it up. Yes I will keep you guys informed about it.

Look forward to more support from your end.
Old 12th June 2014, 11:46   #40
BHPian

Let me also add something I had missed writing earlier:

After you slow down the car from say 2500 rpm to 900 rpm (idle) and change to lower gear and rev it up the rpm increases with no appreciable torque but after 4 to 5 seconds as though some switch has been switched on, it just jumps. This started to happen when my odo was at 120K. Anything to do with ECU and feedback system? Should I remap the ECU?

Shanks
Old 12th June 2014, 12:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

All modern diesel engines have a long life. I have seen a tourist ford fiesta classic done 2.2 lacs. Have seen toyota innova done 4.3 lacs and have seen linea mjd done 2.8 lacs.
if this is not less i have seen tata indica NA done 3 lacs. My friend has a tourist business.

The key mantra is timely oil and coolant changes and the way the car is driven. Also stitch in time saves nine. Fix the small problem immediately before it gets bigger.
Old 12th June 2014, 13:01   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
All modern diesel engines have a long life. I have seen a tourist ford fiesta classic done 2.2 lacs. Have seen toyota innova done 4.3 lacs and have seen linea mjd done 2.8 lacs.
if this is not less i have seen tata indica NA done 3 lacs. My friend has a tourist business.

The key mantra is timely oil and coolant changes and the way the car is driven. Also stitch in time saves nine. Fix the small problem immediately before it gets bigger.
You are right, let me first get the engine part done up, lets think about this 'rubber band effect' (which I read in another thread) later.
Old 12th June 2014, 13:06   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As a first step I have changed the engine oil to a higher viscosity 1400/MX 15W40. I am watching the oil consumption, tailpipe is still smoking, my next step would be to use a metal conditioner and get the turbo and cat converter cleaned. last option is to open it up. Yes I will keep you guys informed about it.

You're going to have to open it up, all this will only move it forward. Also, if they don't work temporarily, they'll end up causing you to run an unfit engine. Which may end up building up the parts that will have to be replaced.
Old 12th June 2014, 13:52   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
You're going to have to open it up, all this will only move it forward. Also, if they don't work temporarily, they'll end up causing you to run an unfit engine. Which may end up building up the parts that will have to be replaced.
Ok will take your advice
Old 12th June 2014, 23:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Let me also add something I had missed writing earlier:

After you slow down the car from say 2500 rpm to 900 rpm (idle) and change to lower gear and rev it up the rpm increases with no appreciable torque but after 4 to 5 seconds as though some switch has been switched on, it just jumps. This started to happen when my odo was at 120K. Anything to do with ECU and feedback system? Should I remap the ECU?

Shanks
Don't put any metal conditioner in the oil. Instead, try to use Iftex System D (fuel additive)to clean the injectors.

During that 4-5 sec lag, does the RPM increase ?

Points towards a severely chocked catalytic converter. If the catcon looks clogged even after cleaning then just break and remove it .
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks