Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2010, 03:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

The life of a 1.4 DuraTorq Engine from Ford

All,

What is the maximum number of kilometers that somebody was able to run this engine before an major overhaul? Somehow i think that cars that have theses engine cannot be driven for many kilometers like other engines in the market like the 1.3 MJD. Infact, i have never heard of a fiesta crossing 1,00,000 km mark. has somebody done this?

Regards,
govigov
Old 18th April 2010, 03:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually, what I gather from many owners of the diesel Fords, and more specifically the older one - is that the engine goes on, and the car will have other failures before the engine packs up.
I actually think that the 1.4 TDCi will have a longer, if not equal life as the MJDs.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2010, 04:00   #3
BHPian

Hi Govigov

I used to own ford fiesta in which I almost covered 90000 kms and there was just replacement of normal wear tear spare parts and the guy whom i sold my car is very happy with the car and i think he's almost covered more than one lakh kms.So i think the car is good enough for two lakh kms.

Rgds
Braveheart
Old 18th April 2010, 05:00   #4
BHPian

Ford itself provides warranty till 1.5 Lakh KMs under their extended 4 year warranty. So it should be good enough till at least 1.5 Lakh KMs.
Old 18th April 2010, 08:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

@govigov: 1L Km for a modern diesel should be nothing to worry about. TDCi is a refined engine and should last much longer than that.

Seeing a 1L+ Kms - you would have some luck if you check out the Fiesta sedans which runs as Taxi's.
Old 18th April 2010, 08:18   #6
BANNED

We drove one of the Figo TDCi prototypes for 300,000 kms in India, South Africa & Australia & absolutely drove it enthusiastically. There were no problems except for the regular replacement of service parts, No engine jobs done!
Mustang.101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2010, 09:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Today's Hindu classified coimbatore edition carried a sale advertisement of a 2006 fiesta 1.4 TDCi run 1,10,000 kms. Car is being demanded 4.75 lakhs. Theoretically speaking, 1.4 mill is less strained than the 1248cc of FIAT, hence TDCi must have a higher mileage capacity.

Last edited by ramzsys : 18th April 2010 at 09:53.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:26   #8
BANNED

But the DuraTorq is not a mile cruncher like say a DDiS. And, I've seen lots of smoking DuraTorqs and from what I've heard (from the folks) the DuraTorq is not so a nice engine to keep for long !
Old 18th April 2010, 10:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

@ mithun, it is only "ford is costly / premium" opinion that is prevalent that is making you think so. Talking purely for the engine, the DuroTorq is indeed a mile cruncher, much more than the DDiS / Multijet / Quadrajet variants. Them smoking may mean a lot of things - from contaminated diesel to the "premium" diesel that is sold to inconsistent service intervals / bad maintenance. Other maintenance cost may or may not be responsible to the "not so nice a engine to keep for long!" opinion - then again, not the engine, its the car!

A simple experiment - compare the number of Fiesta D / iKon D taxis that you can find over a period of time vs. a DDiS / MJD / QJD diesel. (Yes, I have seen at least 2 Indica Vista QJD taxis in Chennai).

Last edited by ph03n!x : 18th April 2010 at 10:50.
Old 18th April 2010, 11:03   #10

My Ikon odometer reading was 1,32,000 when i sold it. Buyer says till now it ( another 12 k ) is like butter... Normal servicing and rubber part replacement. Thats all.

Cheers
Old 18th April 2010, 11:05   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
@ mithun, it is only "ford is costly / premium" opinion that is prevalent that is making you think so. Talking purely for the engine, the DuroTorq is indeed a mile cruncher, much more than the DDiS / Multijet / Quadrajet variants. Them smoking may mean a lot of things - from contaminated diesel to the "premium" diesel that is sold to inconsistent service intervals / bad maintenance. Other maintenance cost may or may not be responsible to the "not so nice a engine to keep for long!" opinion - then again, not the engine, its the car!

A simple experiment - compare the number of Fiesta D / iKon D taxis that you can find over a period of time vs. a DDiS / MJD / QJD diesel. (Yes, I have seen at least 2 Indica Vista QJD taxis in Chennai).
Well, I'm not thinking from a premium perspective. I just commented on the engine only. Here in T-BHP also the Fiat Multijet is considerded as one of the best, that's why !

Also, the ol' Ford Ikon D was always notorious for the maintenance !
Old 18th April 2010, 11:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

I presume that the Ikon's you mentioned were the old 1.8 D's. Not much of TDCi Ikons with the yellow board yet !
Old 18th April 2010, 11:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

A friend who'd bought the Fiesta diesel around launch, drove it for 1,40,000 kms before selling it. He never had any problems with the car. Ofcourse it was serviced as per schedule always. Just normal wear & tear.

So no the 1.4TDCi will not pack anytime soon relative to the 1.3 DDiS

Cheers
Old 18th April 2010, 11:53   #14
BHPian

I have not driven a duratorq engine but i have owned an accent viva crdi.

from what i have heard and is the general notion -
  1. duratorq tdci engine from ford is more smoother than the 3 pot engine of accent crdi
  2. hyundai servicemen explain that the accent crdi engine owing to its 3 pot nature is not as sturdy and long lasting as its 4 pot sibling. My accent viva crdi was recently sold with 116000 kms marking the odometer. There was nothing really wrong in the car. hence the ford duratorq engine should certainly last longer than this. Hence the refinement and durability of the Duratorq engine should not be any issue over its MJD counterpart.
  3. the long term maintainability (high costs) is the factor where the MJD trumps over the duratorq. my accent literally ran for free till the first 60k kms but it was afterwards as the recurring costs forced me to sell it. The timing belt, clutch,axle etc were priced more than twice its petrol counterpart. Im sure that the spares of duratorq engine wont be any cheaper than the crdi engine. Now the MJD , because of the fact that it is being marketed by Maruti and Tata should have its spares priced at much more reasonably.
Old 18th April 2010, 13:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ramzsys : .. sale advertisement of a 2006 fiesta 1.4 TDCi run 1,10,000 kms. Car is being demanded 4.75 lakhs. Theoretically speaking, 1.4 mill is less strained than the 1248cc of FIAT, hence TDCi must have a higher mileage capacity.
1. often asking price is not a real indicator of anything.
2. That 1.4 TDCi is driving a higher base load than the MJD powered ones - the fiesta is about 120-150 kgs's more than it's competition.

Quote:
ph03n!x : A simple experiment - compare the number of Fiesta D / iKon D taxis that you can find over a period of time vs. a DDiS / MJD / QJD diesel. (Yes, I have seen at least 2 Indica Vista QJD taxis in Chennai).
DRIV3R : Not much of TDCi Ikons with the yellow board yet !
@ph03n!x, agree with your other points. But a Fiesta (cab) is definitely more comfortable than a Dzire, irrespective of the engine. Yes, Ikon-D taxi's are increasing by the day & I dont see any yellow plate DZire's / Swifts.

Quote:
vijus_n_n : My Ikon odometer reading was 1,32,000 when i sold it. Buyer says till now it
Was it a TDCi ?

Quote:
mithun : Also, the ol' Ford Ikon D was always notorious for the maintenance !
DRIV3R : I presume that the Ikon's you mentioned were the old 1.8 D's.
That was for other engines - not the TDCi. The TDCi is what is being discussed here.

Quote:
Ricky_63 : A friend who'd bought the Fiesta diesel around launch, drove it for 1,40,000 kms before selling it.

So no the 1.4TDCi will not pack anytime soon ..
The TDCi has been around long enough to have proven itself. Ford themselves are bulish about it. And with the same engine doing duty in 3 on-going models, we can expect cheaper spares, when required. (Yes, Ikon TDCi is being continued but the 1.3 Flair's will be off very soon - as mentioned by the dealer).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks