Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2015, 13:17   #76
BHPian

Re: The life of a 1.4 DuraTorq Engine from Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshanks View Post
I hope, that is what he said, he will call me before he assembles, so that I have a look at the parts. But tell me whats the scary part?

Shanks
Well, if any spurious parts are used, that could be dangerous. I really cannot pin point to anything specific. If the parts are sourced from OEM, that should be good; provided proper QC is done.
My previous post in the same thread mentions an engine failure in a cab when a non OEM timing belt was used.
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 14:09   #77
BHPian

I do not think so that there is any problem with the Ford 1.4 TDCi Duratorq Engine at all.

My First Hand Experience of owning a Ford Ikon 1.4 TDCi with the Duratorq Engine which was purchased by me in AUG 2009 and sold in JUNE 2013 with over 1,00,000Kms on the Odometer; i did not have to do anything to the engine at all. Just periodical service with regular Oil Changes that's all. However, I had experienced that the periodical service schedule of a Ford is said to be 10000 Kms which I feel is not good as the Engine of the Car used to run with a grunt after 7500Kms. So I used to get my Service and Oil Changes done at every 7500-8000 Kms after a certain point of time to prevent any long term issues with the Engine.

The Fella whom I sold my Car to is very happy with the Car and has done another 15000kms on the Odo post his purchase from me and has just had to replace the Clutch System a couple of months back.

Other technical snaps had occurred but nothing to the Engine at all.

I was so happy with the vehicle that once I sold it, I bought a Ford Figo Diesel !!!!
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 15:38   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshanks View Post

I will be back by about 50K. Hope the decision is wise, as Rs. 1.5L ASS suggested for a new engine is not worth it. May be I will use it for another 2 or 3 years and go for another car.
If you know 'this' mechanic well then go ahead with the repairs else find out from where he is sourcing the parts.

Otherwise ask him the required list of parts and get it yourself from OEM spares dealer if they exist for a safer drive and peace of mind.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2015, 15:49   #79
BHPian

I got this excellent reading material for engine reconditioning. I only wish the garage/factory/workshop is managed by people who can adapt to this technology.

Shanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Reconditioning.pdf (2.64 MB, 1096 views)
Old 19th May 2015, 17:18   #80
BHPian

Dear Friends,
Sorry for the long delay due to work pressure. I got my car engine redone. They turned the cylinder and put in a sleeve. Standard size piston, rings and all seals have been put in new.

It is almost 2100 kms since I got it done, its amazingly smooth and the driving is same as earlier. The oil consumption is very less. Changed the oil and filter after 1500 kms. Next change is after 6000 kms.

I got it done at all cars tvs mysore. It put me back by Rs.65,000/-

Shanks
Old 11th September 2015, 20:07   #81
BHPian

I am looking for some advice.

One of my friends got the Oil indication lamp alarm on his Fiesta 1.4 TDCi 2007 model with 91000 on Odo. We have taken the car to Lathangi ford @ Hosur Road, yesterday. Now service center people suggesting engine overhaul which would cost aprox 1.3 Lakh. We will visit the service center tomorrow to get the details and quote of the work. Can anyone suggest whether this amount is justifiable for the engine overhaul?
Old 12th September 2015, 13:58   #82
BANNED

Amount is one thing, but what you need to explore and clearly find out is does the engine really need to be overhauled...? Be sure, my advise would be to take an alternate opinion too (from another ford dealer within the city) and cross examine the diagnosis given from both the dealers....
ridinthru' is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 14:14   #83
BHPian

Our Ford Fiesta has done 1.1 lac Kms and the engine has performed beautifully. It has become a bit louder but that's it.

During the last service we were told the two of the injectors is working at 65% and 75% efficiency (using the OBD port), but should not be a problem and can go on another 30K kMs without requiring to change them.
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:46   #84
BHPian

They are (Latangi ford) quiet unsure about the actual issue, suspecting the issue could be because of the faulty valve and gasket. Service executive Mr. James was confusing us with some claptrap explanations. We met the service manager, he has suggested us to replace the engine (Rs 130000) which has to be ordered from there Chennai depot. They’re not ready to open the engine and see what’s gone wrong. White smoke is coming during the initial 5 Km and looks fine after that.

A friend of mine is in Calicut and advised to take the car to Calicut , he assured that he will get the work done in Muthoot ford Calicut with a decent cost.
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:51   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyRider View Post
White smoke is coming during the initial 5 Km and looks fine after that.
Is it drinking engine oil? White smoke does indicate that.

Do keep an eye on the engine oil levels as it would deteriorate the condition further.

I suggest you to hook the car to an OBD 2 reader to get the error codes if there are any.
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:00   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Is it drinking engine oil? White smoke does indicate that.

Do keep an eye on the engine oil levels as it would deteriorate the condition further.

I suggest you to hook the car to an OBD 2 reader to get the error codes if there are any.
.Yes, you are right. its drinking the engine oil, but very slight changes in the engine oil level. Hence i am keeping 1 litre engine oil with me so that i can topup during my trip to calicut.

Could you pls suggest whether i can drive the vehicle to calicut? planning to keep a steady speed of approx 60-70 Km/hour and break in every 75 Km.
Old 22nd September 2015, 11:37   #87
BANNED

Quote:
Could you pls suggest whether i can drive the vehicle to calicut? planning to keep a steady speed of approx 60-70 Km/hour and break in every 75 Km.
Why aren't you trying any FNG in Bangalore first before proceeding to Calicut?

I guess it is risky to drive around with that light.
Old 22nd September 2015, 13:31   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for some advice.

One of my friends got the Oil indication lamp alarm on his Fiesta 1.4 TDCi 2007 model with 91000 on Odo. We have taken the car to Lathangi ford @ Hosur Road, yesterday. Now service center people suggesting engine overhaul which would cost aprox 1.3 Lakh. We will visit the service center tomorrow to get the details and quote of the work. Can anyone suggest whether this amount is justifiable for the engine overhaul?
IMO, it makes more sense to sell off the 2007 car rather than spending Rs. 1.3 lakh on the engine.

If one takes proper care of the engine, it shall not be due for a majour overhaul in just 91000 km.
Rahul Bhalgat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 13:57   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
IMO, it makes more sense to sell off the 2007 car rather than spending Rs. 1.3 lakh on the engine.

If one takes proper care of the engine, it shall not be due for a majour overhaul in just 91000 km.
1.3 L is for a new engine.From ford. Having to drop that money on an 8 year old car, yes,not advisable.

Quote:
.Yes, you are right. its drinking the engine oil, but very slight changes in the engine oil level. Hence i am keeping 1 litre engine oil with me so that i can topup during my trip to calicut.

Do you foresee it finishing off 1L in that long a journey? If so, then its a lot, and such a long drive may not be advisable.
However, dont worry about the cost. Since ford is not overhauling, but trying to sell you a new engine, the cost is understandable.
However, an overhaul, new pistons, con-rods, rings, etc, will not even hit 50k outside ford. And though fords are not ubiquitous, they're still around aplenty. Parts are not a problem. Any FNG worth his salt can overhaul this engine. Just stay away from A.S.C.
Speaking out of experience of 2 overhauls, one of a fiesta petrol.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 22:52   #90
BHPian

mayankk and a4anurag, totally agree with you. I will checkout some good FNGs to get this work done.
Bangalore bhpians, please recommend any good FNGs to carry out the Ford Fiesta engine Overhaul. I am looking for a place closer to Marathahalli area.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks