Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2015, 07:30   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: The life of a 1.4 DuraTorq Engine from Ford

I have used the 1.4 TDCi [Figo Titanium] for some kilometers. It is not as sprightly as the other units out there, but does its job.

Because of the old school tech, I believe, it will keep logging in kilometers. Few BHP-ians have done 1L+ kms on their Fiesta/Figo and no engine component required any major attention.

In my case, the car was very reliable. Did not need any workshop visit apart from schedule service in its ~46 months of ownership.
Old 4th March 2015, 09:44   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
glenmz : Forgot to mention this. SA claims TDCi consumes about a litre of oil every 10000 kms.
Having used the TDCi engine for about 44k kms, I have not seen this happen. I had the Ikon.
Old 4th March 2015, 10:12   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Forgot to mention this. SA claims TDCi consumes about a litre of oil every 10000 kms.
Isn't it too much? 1L for every 10K kms IMO is surprising for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Or was it not 37 liters when the Fusion was introduced and then upgraded to 45 liters tank with the FIGO?
Best solution to clear your doubts is to check the 'Owners Manual' for the Fission you own. Should have it mentioned clearly in it.

If the manual says 45L is full tank capacity then expect it to take in 38-40L (@ Auto cut-off) of fuel with the rest capacity kept as free-board.

For Eg: The Swift has a full tank capacity of 43L but at auto lock it takes in 36-38L of diesel.

Similar would be the case in your Fusion!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 10:46   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Isn't it too much? 1L for every 10K kms IMO is surprising for me.
That is 26.31%, considering that oil capacity is 3.8 liter. Not too bad, but i haven't seen any % of oil loss in my 45k km ownership period. Maybe all-time urban driving can lead to such.

Quote:
Best solution to clear your doubts is to check the 'Owners Manual' for the Fission you own. Should have it mentioned clearly in it.
The Fusion is a bit toughly built, Anurag, to be called a fission
Old 4th March 2015, 11:07   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post

That is 26.31%, considering that oil capacity is 3.8 liter. Not too bad, but i haven't seen any % of oil loss in my 45k km ownership period. Maybe all-time urban driving can lead to such.
Exactly, I haven't seen any decrease in oil quantities in other engines. Surprised to see a decrease in the Ford's engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
The Fusion is a bit toughly built, Anurag, to be called a fission
'Fission' was a mistake, I meant Fusion! Apologies for the same.
Old 4th March 2015, 11:10   #66
BHPian

Yes, and that was something that I was worried about and hence the service.
This is the first time the car has gone in for service without clocking 10,000 Kms as the 6 month window came up. I have never seen a drop in oil levels earlier. But then, in the previous instances, the KMs were clocked mainly on the highways. This time, the past 5 months of use were purely in city.

And I had checked with the SA at Cochin too about this; he too claims that 1 liter of oil consumption is normal. There were no leaks, no residue in the exhaust and the coolant chamber.

Keeping her under observation now.
Old 9th March 2015, 15:21   #67
BHPian

Quote:
he too claims that 1 liter of oil consumption is normal. There were no leaks, no residue in the exhaust and the coolant chamber.

Hi Glenmz,

In my Figo, I have observed that the engine oil level goes to last 1-1.5 cm of the dip stick, by every 7000KM. This was observed from the beginning. I generally visit the Service Center and pour a liter of oil whenever the dip stick is only 1 cm. In 50K Kms, this happened almost 3 times. As there were no leaks or other issues, I deem it 'not an issue'. Also I came to this conclusion only after i found the sentence in Figo owner's manual "High Speed driving & Driving in B2B traffic results in consumption of engine oil". In my case, I drive on toll road and then in peak city traffic in the same trip every weekday. Hence I feel justified about the Engine Oil consumption in my case.
G V Krishna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 11:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, and that was something that I was worried about and hence the service.
This is the first time the car has gone in for service without clocking 10,000 Kms as the 6 month window came up. I have never seen a drop in oil levels earlier. But then, in the previous instances, the KMs were clocked mainly on the highways. This time, the past 5 months of use were purely in city.

And I had checked with the SA at Cochin too about this; he too claims that 1 liter of oil consumption is normal. There were no leaks, no residue in the exhaust and the coolant chamber.

1-Possible some amount oil has gone to the intercooler.
2- VAlve stem seals are leaking. Check if your car is emitting blue smoke during start ups.
3- Check colant if it has any oil residues.

Don't know about ford diesels but in my swift diesel i have noticed oil consumption when i use the car for less distance.
Old 10th March 2015, 16:19   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
1-Possible some amount oil has gone to the intercooler.
2- VAlve stem seals are leaking. Check if your car is emitting blue smoke during start ups.
3- Check colant if it has any oil residues.

Don't know about ford diesels but in my swift diesel i have noticed oil consumption when i use the car for less distance.
1. 1.4 TDCI does not have an intercooler.
2. Need to check on this. As I mentioned, Oil consumption is under observation.
3. No oil in coolant reservoir, mentioned in one of the above posts i guess.
Old 19th March 2015, 16:52   #70
BHPian

Quote:
1. 1.4 TDCI does not have an intercooler.
2. Need to check on this. As I mentioned, Oil consumption is under observation.
3. No oil in coolant reservoir, mentioned in one of the above posts i guess.
The engine oil dipstick showing a 40% drop is'nt actually a 40% loss of oil from the engine's 3.8ltr oil. The span between the max and min point on the dipstick is about 1.8 ltrs. So, you are probably loosing just about 300mls of oil in 10,000kms which is very normal.
So please take care while topping up engine oil, and start with a 500ml bottle with 250ml intervals and you should know how much engine oil is exactly being consumed.
I had a similar experience with my friend's i20 diesel which I was going to borrow. I have the habit of checking the fluids before I drive any new (to me) car, I noticed the engine oil was in the half mark and my friend was with me and he was shocked . He rushed to the nearest spare parts store and came back with 3 ltrs of oil. He opened a one liter bottle and dumped it in the engine and opened the second bottle while the first one was still dripping into the engine, I had to stop him before he poured the second one it in the engine. When we checked the level it was almost full like 90% of the dipstick level, that that was immediately after pouring the new oil, so if it were to sit for a while it would be just right to fill the engine to its required capacity.
msaudf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 14:47   #71
BHPian

I went for Wheel alignment today and there was another Fiesta that was running as a taxi there. I and the driver started chatting about the car as I have learnt from the forum that these drivers are the best for getting info on the longevity of the car.
His car has run 1.7 lakh kms and he had an engine failure at 1.65 L!
And he was honest with the reason as well. As the service charges were high at the authorized centers, he started taking the car to FNG's. At about 1.2 L kms, his timing belt was replaced at my TVs whitefield. And then he suffers an engine failure later on as the timing belt snaps. Piston rods, valves etc packs off.
The quote he got was close to Rs 160,000 at ASC. Around 116,000 for the "half engine" and the rest for the associated spares. The guy goes to Shivaji nagar and picks up the required components and as per him, everything was done for Rs 55,000.
So take aways from the conversation - Stick to Ford ASC's for any jobs for peace of mind and hope they do their job properly!

The figures could be here n there, as language was a barrier for the conversion; but then I kind of got the general idea.
Besides this, he is able to extract 16 - 18 kmpl in the city and his tyres lasted about 100,000 KMs.
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:24   #72
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Ok finally after dilly dallying for many months, I finally decided to get it opened up at a decent (Dip. in Auto) garage (ex TVS AllCars). There is a small shake in the piston and rings has to be replaced. So the mechanic says he will get it re-bored. He is getting all engine parts from Chennai. He says he has done it for Fiesta before and guarantees about 1.5L KM's after redoing the engine.

I will be back by about 50K. Hope the decision is wise, as Rs. 1.5L ASS suggested for a new engine is not worth it. May be I will use it for another 2 or 3 years and go for another car.

Will keep posted of developments

Shanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:14   #73
BHPian

I have just crossed 1.25 lakhs kilometers in my Fiesta. Other than regular wear and tear part changes, car is going on good.
sbala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 19:26   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshanks View Post
Hi Friends,

Ok finally after dilly dallying for many months, I finally decided to get it opened up at a decent (Dip. in Auto) garage (ex TVS AllCars).

Shanks
Is he getting original Ford parts? I do not wish to scare you off, but please refer my previous post in the thread.
Of-late I have read about ford making its parts available OTC.
Old 24th March 2015, 11:17   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Is he getting original Ford parts? ....
I hope, that is what he said, he will call me before he assembles, so that I have a look at the parts. But tell me whats the scary part?

Shanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks