Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2011, 23:52   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Swift Diesel - New Brake Booster Design By Maruti

I need to know which service center of RNS Motors in Bangalore I need to visit to get the (paid) new brake booster fitted for my Dzire.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:52   #167
Dex

I finally got the brake booster changed . Along with this, I also got both the discs and brake pads changed. Guess what.... No change in braking efficiency . I don't even get a psychological feel of improvement. I raised this with the Service advisor and he advised that the braking will improve after running in the car for about 50 KMs. Doesn't make sense to me.

Others who have had good experience post this change, please advise.

Had to go through a lot though. The GM of Vipul Motors called me and said that I will have to "CERTIFY" that post this change if the vehicle meets with an accident, Vipul Motors/Maruti will not be responsible. Raised a complaint with Maruti on this already. Had to get into heated arguments with them to get this done.
Old 27th July 2011, 19:09   #168
Senior - BHPian

Dex - If you scroll back a few pages you can notice my post on this subject and I have shared the same thoughts as you did. I'm running my car post the change of booster now for close to 10k kms and to me, there is absolutely no perceptible difference to the braking efficiency. If any, it is very negligible.

After this change, I took one of the senior most technicians in MSM, chennai along with me for a ride on the outskirts of chennai to test the braking performance - we could hear the tires squel under hard braking but we couldnt get the wheels to lock up however hard we tried. I was running 185/70 Michelins which has done over 30k kms but still we couldnt get the tyres to lock under hard braking!

I dont have any more options and hence decided to live with it as long as I own this car. While, I appreciate this car for all its other virtues and positives, braking is definitely not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I finally got the brake booster changed . Along with this, I also got both the discs and brake pads changed. Guess what.... No change in braking efficiency . I don't even get a psychological feel of improvement. I raised this with the Service advisor and he advised that the braking will improve after running in the car for about 50 KMs. Doesn't make sense to me.

Others who have had good experience post this change, please advise.

Had to go through a lot though. The GM of Vipul Motors called me and said that I will have to "CERTIFY" that post this change if the vehicle meets with an accident, Vipul Motors/Maruti will not be responsible. Raised a complaint with Maruti on this already. Had to get into heated arguments with them to get this done.
Old 1st August 2011, 12:20   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
No change in braking efficiency . I don't even get a psychological feel of improvement. I raised this with the Service advisor and he advised that the braking will improve after running in the car for about 50 KMs. Doesn't make sense to me.
Hello Dex,

In my case, the change in braking efficiency was SIGNIFICANT and IMMEDIATE! The car brakes perfectly well right after the change. If your dealer is unco-operative, you could contact Maruti directly with your registration/VIN number. I had actually sent an email to contact@maruti.co.in and got a reply in 48 hours. Make sure to include your phone number.

Thanks
KZ
Old 1st August 2011, 19:27   #170
BHPian

Since I got my brake booster changed I drove over 9k kms. Initially it took a while to get adjusted to the new power of brakes.
Yes I did feel a good amount of change in braking efficiency after getting the brake booster upgraded.
Old 10th August 2011, 14:59   #171
BHPian

A little OT query, just wanted to know when are the brake pads supposed to be changed? My car has run 62k now and have not got the brake pads changed, on my 60k service I was told that they still have alot of juice left in them.

But off late I have noticed that the brakes have become a little less effective and if i brake hard, car tends to skid. Are these signs of ageing brake pads?
Old 11th August 2011, 10:14   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
A little OT query, just wanted to know when are the brake pads supposed to be changed? My car has run 62k now and have not got the brake pads changed, on my 60k service I was told that they still have alot of juice left in them.

But off late I have noticed that the brakes have become a little less effective and if i brake hard, car tends to skid. Are these signs of ageing brake pads?
Please check your tyres maybe they are worn out.
Old 12th August 2011, 09:32   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Please check your tyres maybe they are worn out.
Thanks for your reply DieselFan! My tyres are about 60k old, there is a marker on the tyre and I understand that when the tyre wears out till that marker, then it is time for replacement. I still have a bit of rubber left to reach that marker. But yes, the tyres are surely on their last legs.

Also, what is the normal life for the brake pads?
Old 27th February 2013, 09:53   #174
Senior - BHPian

In my case, the change in braking efficiency was SIGNIFICANT and IMMEDIATE! The car brakes perfectly well right after the change. If your dealer is unco-operative, you could contact Maruti directly with your registration/VIN number. I had actually sent an email to contact@maruti.co.in and got a reply in 48 hours. Make sure to include your phone number.

Thanks
KZ[/quote]

KZ, thanks for the suggestion. I was facing a similar issue of poor braking efficiency in my Dzire (Vdi) and contacted Maruti. Within 2 hours of my email, got a call from them and the associated dealer in Pune.
However since my vehicle was a Oct 2010 purchase, Maruti mentioned that I need not do a replacement but a brake assembly "overhaul" would be enough. The dealer was forthcoming enough and did the needful absolutely FOC!
Just to add, I was present when the overhaul was being done by the M.A.S.S. The work was carried out like a textbook instruction right from start to fininsh.
Post the overhauling, I took the car out for a reasonably long test drive on the highway and did some emergency braking checks.
And to my pleasant surprise, the braking efficiency had improved significantly!

Regards
JoshMachine
Old 27th February 2013, 12:35   #175
Senior - BHPian

Its been 2 years and some month since the brake booster change and let me tell you the performance is still excellent. Weak brakes are a thing of the past. I have done numerous outstation trips whenever I was in India, some of 1000 km length with 5 people in the car and luggage, one 6500 km trip to Ladakh Leh with a passenger and a bootfull of luggage and there was NEVER a lack of stopping power. Infact the earlier brakes with 5 people would never lock its wheels under any kind of pedal pressure, but the new brake booster, will lock its wheels at your place of liking and I have Michelin 185's on my Swift.

Sadely, the new Swift's VDI and LDI versions, have brakes which I would not say are bad, but say 80% of my current brakes, don't know why since all the hardware is the same.
Old 27th February 2013, 17:05   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Its been 2 years and some month since the brake booster change and let me tell you the performance is still excellent. Weak brakes are a thing of the past. I have done numerous outstation trips whenever I was in India, some of 1000 km length with 5 people in the car and luggage, one 6500 km trip to Ladakh Leh with a passenger and a bootfull of luggage and there was NEVER a lack of stopping power. Infact the earlier brakes with 5 people would never lock its wheels under any kind of pedal pressure, but the new brake booster, will lock its wheels at your place of liking and I have Michelin 185's on my Swift.
I would agree to Humyum's point here and after change of brake booster car is running smooth its been 38000 Kms no issues at all. I have upgraded my tyres to 195-60-15 Primacy LC. At one instance I was trapped at blind spot and breaks saved me by few inches.

Thanks a ton Humyum for keeping us posted on the booster.
sameerpb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 10:38   #177
BANNED

Just to bump and irritate irresponsible Maruti and their dealers.
I have been to Goa during first week of Feb and on highway high speed drive breaks are literally not working almost zero breaking, It's high time for me to communicate the same once again that how they are playing with life of their customers just to save some cost on critical components.
Just a doubt and need inputs from experts, is there's any standard which says that a moving car at 80 kmph should stop under some distance? If i recall it correctly my car was able to stop under 27 meters and they said it's far better than the company standard.
I am ready to pay for whatever is the cost but they are afraid to do as it will open their negligence towards customers.
Old 10th May 2013, 16:54   #178
BHPian

Well Guys , I have also had a minor incident with my 2012 new swift zdi. I was travelling at a nominial speed ( around 65-70kmph) .I could clearly see a biker , bang in the middle of a road with a flat tyre ( approx. 20-30mts. away). I slammed on the brakes & the car refused to slow down as quick as expected & i nearly froze for a moment. I could not turn to the left as there was a cab coming from left.
Anyways I just managed to stop & avoid a major crash, but the car touched the bike from rear & fortunately nothing was broken on the bike.
Now , I want to ask fellow bhpians on what to do? Sometimes I feel my car is braking with enough bite, while sometimes it simply lacks , esp. when riding the torque wave.
Please guide me on what all to get checked on the braking system???
Old 22nd May 2013, 18:15   #179
BANNED

Sell of the crap, I followed with the dealer and Maruti but they are not at all ready to accept that they are selling cars with almost no break, currently my priorities are different and cant invest in new car hence just crawling with it within city limit. I am very much sure that the day I'll decide to sell this off, I am going to put every where the reason behind my decision.
Old 22nd May 2013, 19:13   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Just to bump and irritate irresponsible Maruti and their dealers.
I have been to Goa during first week of Feb and on highway high speed drive breaks are literally not working almost zero breaking, It's high time for me to communicate the same once again that how they are playing with life of their customers just to save some cost on critical components.
Just a doubt and need inputs from experts, is there's any standard which says that a moving car at 80 kmph should stop under some distance? If i recall it correctly my car was able to stop under 27 meters and they said it's far better than the company standard.
I am ready to pay for whatever is the cost but they are afraid to do as it will open their negligence towards customers.
Baba, there could be million things that could be wrong with the brakes.

Let me list out some of them.

1) Firstly, if you donot have an upgraded brake booster, get one. Its an investment which is worth it even if you have to pay for it.

2) Get the brakes bled, if you are willing to spend just to be sure, get it changed too, not at all costly.

3) Get the rear drums opened and checked if they are scored, rear brake liners checked for wear and wheel cylinders checked for leaks. If all is A OK there, move to the front

4) Get the calipers checked, brake pads checked, see if the disc is scored a lot, see what life is left in the pads. Was your last pad change without surfacing the disc ?

After all these checks and precautions, the brakes will work like a charm trust me.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks