Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is your Skoda Reliable?
I have had No Major Issues with my non DSG Skoda. 43 51.81%
I have had Major Issues with my non DSG Skoda. 10 12.05%
I have had No Major Issues with my DSG Skoda. 13 15.66%
I have had Only DSG issues with my 6 speed DSG 4 4.82%
I have had Only DSG issues with my 7 speed DSG. 13 15.66%
I have had Major Issues with my DSG Skoda other than the DSG. 5 6.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2011, 12:57   #16
mxx
BHPian

Re: Skoda Woes And The Ghost Of The Mechatronics!!

looks like skoda lost another loyal customer.

BTW, I dont think dsg is a work in progress technology, but a relatively new technology. And I do think these failures are a effect of cost cutting. being a new technology from european shores, dsg is expensive, and vw might be doing some cost cutting when bringing it to vw and skodas. I googled and read about mechatronic failures, and I see those more expensive audis and bugattis with dsg does not report much failures. But lower prices audis, vw and skodas do. If the dsgs can handle extreme conditions in R8s and veyrons why cant it do so in skodas and vws? So, it might be that its not design but the lower costing components thats giving up. I am no automotive expert, but it seems like it.
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2011, 13:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

My God!!! Not another Skoda horror story thread If the employees don't even know the meaning of "mechatronics", why are they selling cars here? V16, I think you should get rid of that car which has clocked 70K kms. I can only see more problems going forward.

Frankly, I don't care if it is brilliant piece of engineering. If the thing is going to create mental fatigue and monetary problems every now and then, I think it is a dud. You can't go on spending your hard earned money in repairing cars every now and then. Get rid of the car asap, no matter how good the overall car is!

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 17th April 2011 at 13:53. Reason: Added sentence
Old 17th April 2011, 15:38   #18
BANNED

I guess it is kind of early to declare it a horror story yet. I spoke to Anshuman and he has quite few friends who have been driving DSGs since quite some time now.

Lets see Skoda's response and then take a call.
They are anyway replacing the parts FOC.
Old 17th April 2011, 18:29   #19
Senior - BHPian

For me its an absolute horror story buddy!!
Yes, while i appreciate the fact that the Superb's part (whatever they will change in the end) is FOC but the Laura's Mechatronic will cost me,.... ouch!! Anyways as i do not believe in carrying out half repairs or semi repairs, i will get the job done to my satisfaction and then the car goes to a buyer. At least he will be assured of proper parts being put in. Also there seems no availability of after market parts for the DSG.

In the meanwhile i politely declined an offer to buy a pre-owned Skoda Fabia petrol, done 9000kms. When he said the words Skoda, i just told him i was not interested even to see the car, such is my present state of disgust. Also i had in my agenda to lay my hands on a pre-owned 3.6 Superb very soon. I have driven one of those beasts and they are Insane. Especially very low mileage examples are now available for almost half price now days, what with the fuel prices going higher and higher...... but i dont think so for now!!
Old 18th April 2011, 17:40   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear about these issues Gogi, but I'm glad it happened at your place and not while you were on a road-trip or something. I think I know just what you are talking about - premium feel-good European car, yet severe problems - as I'm currently sailing the same boat myself.

What surprises me is that Skoda still hasn't figured out the solution! Usually, with such a high instance of failure, you'd issue a recall, replace all defective parts and ensure that the new batch is flawless. Well, it's been 3 years of DSG mechatronic issues now. How long before they solve it once and for all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I see those more expensive audis and bugattis with dsg does not report much failures.
Another reason is, the more expensive A8s and Bugattis don't run as much, and neither are they sold in such large numbers.
Old 18th April 2011, 17:52   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTO : Your post makes important point.
I am thinking it is not that DSG is imposed upon hapless Indian consumers only. So why till now there is no concerted effort to follow this by consumer watchdog bodies? Or there is something that is missing in the picture?
A quality car brand will recall thousands even on suspicion of a flaw. (Instance of Toyota/Suzuki/Others on this) Why this has not happened here?
Old 18th April 2011, 20:51   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^Sudev, AFAIK, Skoda has not run a single recall in India. Not for their DSGs, not for the leaking sunroofs and certainly not for the frequently worn out air-con compressors.
Old 20th April 2011, 14:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@GTO : Your post makes important point.
I am thinking it is not that DSG is imposed upon hapless Indian consumers only. So why till now there is no concerted effort to follow this by consumer watchdog bodies? Or there is something that is missing in the picture?
A quality car brand will recall thousands even on suspicion of a flaw. (Instance of Toyota/Suzuki/Others on this) Why this has not happened here?
Absolutely. Last year while on my trip to Italy, my friend was driving us around in his VW Passat diesel DSG. Out of curiosity i asked whether the DSG was giving any problems and he replied that he did have issues but VW recalled the car twice to settle the problems. So these DSG problems are all around but as GTO pointed out, we see them in Skodas because of the large numbers they have been sold in.

Skoda needs some serious introspection else no one is gonna buy a Skoda anymore. Surely not me.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:54   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
...Skoda needs some serious introspection else no one is gonna buy a Skoda anymore. Surely not me.
Oh that was the conclusion I'd already drawn and spread to friends and foes after reading the agony of hrishv.

@GTO : How does one force a recall? How and why did Maruti recently (vehicle recall maruti - Google Search) ??

This is something that probably needs intervention from consumer forums/agencies. Perhaps OP may want to use this link and ask for information on Skoda? National Portal of India

I am not owner or consumer of Skoda so can not launch any complaint.
Old 20th April 2011, 16:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

About time Skoda learnt its lessons. When DSG was launched, automotive press went gaga. In their usual exaggeratory narration, they were raving how DSG is future and how CVTs and normal AT boxes are stone-age. Of course I took that with a pinch of salt, because everything new excites them and is always recommended over the exsiting. It is their job to push new products. They don't pay for it so how does it matter to them? They preach others to buy all kinds of cars but I am sure when they have to put down their own money on cars, they would go buy a proven car.

Also, these press guys always took potshots at Tata/Mahindra cars calling them infradig. Somebody should ask these guys what they think of DSG now. I am sure they will say it is a rare occurrence.
Old 27th April 2011, 14:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, these press guys always took potshots at Tata/Mahindra cars calling them infradig. Somebody should ask these guys what they think of DSG now. I am sure they will say it is a rare occurrence.

I still wonder why VW discontinued the DSG box in Jetta while skoda sold them in Laura and superb. Did they know the Box had a problem and let Skoda brand take the beating? or people didnt prefer the DSG in Jetta?
Old 27th April 2011, 15:45   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I still wonder why VW discontinued the DSG box in Jetta while skoda sold them in Laura and superb. Did they know the Box had a problem and let Skoda brand take the beating? or people didnt prefer the DSG in Jetta?
It could be that Skoda brand have already taken some good flak in our market, and they were not expecting anything worse from that. Whereas with VW brand they wanted to have every step right, and avoid any kind of negative publicity.
If I remember correctly, they discontinued the DSG with the introduction of CR diesels, and that in turn was just around the time of Polo launch.
Old 28th April 2011, 10:15   #28
BHPian

I had decided upon buying the Superb TSI as well but Thanks to Team-Bhp and owners first hand experience posted here I decided not to buy a Skoda with Auto tranny.

Accord AT was bought instead of Superb and I wonder how many more people would have done that. But I even faced a problem with the Accord in terms of buying experience and A.S.S primarily due to the attitude of the dealership. So as GTO said car companies in India are not determined enough to give good service to their customers and sometimes wonder with no governing body to control them is it always better to buy economy cars in India instead of premium ones?
Old 28th April 2011, 10:36   #29
BHPian

The mechatronics on my superb has also been replaced under warranty. I was not as lucky as you.. I was with family at amby valley, suddenly mom and dad both get sick with malaria, and at the worst moment, mechatronics fail. It was a nightmare.

I had noticed some bad shifting and vibrations earlier, and had taken it to the worksop. They said it was some crap in the fuel filter etc etc. I didnt buy it, but the vibrations stopped, so I didnt argue.

Then the mechatronics failed. I had to get the car towed on a flatbed from amby valley.

Even after the mechatronics was replaced, I was getting the same vibrations from the car. Took it to the dealer every time , but he did not seem to be able to fix it. Then finally I lost it, went to the manager of the workshop, told him if you cant do it, give it to me in writing and I will take the case forward with Skoda. He is like..just give me the car once, I want to check the clutches, etc. He took a few days, but fixed the car, and now I don't have those problems anymore.

He said that the problem was with the clutches. In a 1 year old car. Oh well.

Last edited by holysmoke : 28th April 2011 at 10:38.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:09   #30
BHPian

In Singapore too VW (Skoda not popular here) had serious issues with the DSG, typically with the late 2009 and early 2010 models.

These issues existed only with seven speed DSGs while the six speeds DSGs found in models like Golf GTi had no issues.

But a concerted effort from VW owners here resulted in warranty extension to 5 years on the gearbox.

Present day DSG comes with dry clutch mechanism compared to the wet clutch seen is European models. Which according to VW has solved the problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks