Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is your Skoda Reliable?
I have had No Major Issues with my non DSG Skoda. 43 51.81%
I have had Major Issues with my non DSG Skoda. 10 12.05%
I have had No Major Issues with my DSG Skoda. 13 15.66%
I have had Only DSG issues with my 6 speed DSG 4 4.82%
I have had Only DSG issues with my 7 speed DSG. 13 15.66%
I have had Major Issues with my DSG Skoda other than the DSG. 5 6.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2012, 12:51   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Woes And The Ghost Of The Mechatronics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
This weekend looks like another two Superbs can be added to the list. One is ivar and another belonging to a very good friend of mine.
and my friends Superb has bitted the dust again. Watch this space!
Old 10th August 2012, 13:28   #77
BANNED

The Ultimate Skoda Reliability Poll

Hi All,

Skoda has always been a "love it or loathe it" brand in India.
Superb cars but iffy service stations, DSG failures needing days at the workshop and expensive replacements, and most of all, unethical business practices by a few dealers (discussed elsewhere on TBHP) have all led to customer dissatisfaction.

However, over the past couple of years, we have seen an increase in the Skodas owned by TBHPians. In fact, a few moderators too have purchased it and are happy with them. Not just that, we have on TBHP, Skoda owners, who own vehicles from the older, supposedly troublesome batches, and yet swear by them.
Most importantly, like many other threads, it non Skoda owners'/experts comments, that dominate the thread leading, at times, to unclear mandates and continued confusion from people who are looking for advice, hence this thread.

I would request all the Skoda Owners to vote on this poll and pen down their reasons for choosing the option that they have.

A few pointers:
1. DSG in this thread means any component of the complete unit, consisting of the mechatronic box, the multiclutch unit and the gearbox.

2. The options have been chosen to highlight the reliability of Skoda as a brand and the DSGs as an independent component.

3. Voters can choose multiple options with an explanantion. For example, if you have Skoda DSG, and consider it unreliable, not only because of the DSG but also the other components in the car, then you can choose both "I have had only DSG issues with my 6/7 speed DSG." and "I have had major issues with my DSG Skoda other than the DSG.".

4. Post your vote, please mention the following details about your Skoda:
a. Make and model year.
b. No of Kms done.
c. Kind of environment traveled in (Hot climate or moderate climate)
d. Self driven, driver driven, or both,
e. If you are happy with the Skoda/Skoda ASC support that you have received for your car, and finally,
f. If you would buy another Skoda and/or recommend it to your loved ones.

Let the facts flow.

Happy Voting...

Last edited by n.devdath : 10th August 2012 at 13:39. Reason: Sentence correction.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 13:54   #78
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Ultimate Skoda Reliability Poll

Ive used 3 Skodas till date. 2 of which are still in use.

The Octi 19.TDi that we had, was an excellant piece of machinery. We all agree, the Octi's were the best of the breed. No trouble whatsoever in the (almost) 3 years of ownership.

The Laura manual TDi has done just over 2 years and still runs strong. This, is my daily drive. In these years, the car has run 44XXX kms and have faced no issue whatsoever. Its been rock solid, with timely care taken, of course.

The Superb was a pre worshipped buy. Got it when it had done a lil over 1 year and 14k kms on odo. Its now on ~35k kms and apart from one DSG failure, where the entire GB was replaced (on extended warranty), there have been no issues whatsoever. Yes, the DSG is a bane. The nagging fear is always there. But, that doesnt stop us from enjoying the car! It, in true sense is Superb

Would I recommend a Skoda? YES!
Heck, I've been thinking of replacing the Laura with another Skoda (whenever the time comes, to replace it).

All that said and done, I would still insist; its always better to go to a dealer that you trust, or you know someone in the dealer. Else, a competant indepandant garage is the best bet.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 10th August 2012 at 13:56.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 14:08   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Ive used 3 Skodas till date. 2 of which are still in use.
Thanks Swanand. This shows that you are certainly happy with your Skodas apart from the Superb(though are happy with the replacement GB).

So, which Skoda is coming next and when?

Request to all the Participants:

Please share the details about your Skoda (mentioned in the opening post) after you cast your vote on the thread. This will go a long way in bringing things in proper light to those who browse the thread.

Last edited by n.devdath : 10th August 2012 at 14:10.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 14:09   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

I am probably among the few people on TBHP who concurrently own two Skodas! My Yeti bought in Dec 2010 has covered around 27k kms and our Laura which we bought in Mar 2012 has covered just around 2k kms.
So far the experience has been smooth sailing and the only part changed on the Yeti is the ac compressor as it was upgraded to a better design in June 2011 to improve the cooling.
The service experience at Giriraj motors Gurgaon was fine and they did it professionally and within the promised time of 3 days.
The only thing I find lacking in their setup now is a better aesthetic ambience and more courteous staff. I would rate them at par with the other Hyundai, Honda, Ford and Maruti workshops that we have dealt with in Gurgaon. But there is still plenty of scope for improvement and one aspect is the availability and price of spares. I recently lost on of the plastic covers on one of the roof rails on my Yeti and it cost 2300 to replace just that cover! Service costs were ok and the second service which I got done at 27k kms costed around 10k excluding the cover and the 3m treatments I got done.
Overall both the cars are a huge thrill to drive and also very frugal in fuel consumption.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 14:13   #81
BHPian

a. Make and model year - June 2011 - Skoda Fabia 1.6 MPI
b. No of Kms done. - 15,000kms
c. Kind of environment traveled in (Hot climate or moderate climate) - Dry Bangalore summers and Coastal monsoons
d. Self driven, driver driven, or both, - Self
e. If you are happy with the Skoda/Skoda ASC support that you have received for your car, and finally, - Happy? Yes. Not overjoyed. But Overjoyed by the way Skoda looks at issues escalated to them so far if the dealer is unable to fix
f. If you would buy another Skoda and/or recommend it to your loved ones. -
Yes, my ideal garage would be a Yeti for the daily run. A vRS for the weekend road trips. While the Fabia can go to the lady-yet-to-come-home! ;-)

I never recommend a Skoda as I would hate to hear someone accuse me of their misfortune. I lead people to Skodas, and when they return with a wide grin on their face after the TD, I show them the Skoda horror stories on TBHP as well as the good experiences. And leave it to them to decide. But, never recommend a Skoda to someone who's budget conscious to the paise! I recommended a close relative who's been spoilt by an X1, and looking for a second car sub-10lakh. They just can't stop thinking about the Rapid after their TD although the nearest ASC is 3 hrs away from their home. That's how Skoda spoils people..

If Skoda/VW can get rid of their 2 curses in this country - lack of trained service personnel and the doomed DSG - I think they have enough under the sleeve to give the others a run for their money.

Last edited by mempheS.D : 10th August 2012 at 14:22.
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 14:16   #82
BHPian

I own a 2005 vRS which has done 58K kms. The only major repair that I have incurred is a suspension replacement (bushes, arms, shocks) at 55k. The repair cost me Rs. 65K (done at ***). Rest of maintenance is routine servicing, battery, spark-plugs and replacing the door-lock of 1 door. The car gives me an FE of 8 to 9 in Bombay city. For the pleasure this car continues to give me, I think this is money well-spent. When I did not get my (high) asking price for the car when I put it up for sale on this forum, I decided to keep it. The only reason I contemplated selling it was its manual gears and Bombay's maddening traffic. I would buy a Yeti today if it was launched with AT. I recommend the brand to friends who can afford to maintain it.
Bomi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 14:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

I am a recent Skoda convert (having bought a Yeti 4x4) and I am very happy with the decision, inspite of the much talked Skoda after sales and shoddy service. The car is so fun to drive, so much value for money with excellent FE, I am now contemplating replacing my civic with a Laura DSG L&K in the near future.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 14:29   #84
Senior - BHPian

We have a 5.5 year old Octy with 75k on the odo and still on the original clutch, like i mentioned elsewhere no issues or premature failures of parts. It runs beautifully even till date and never fails to put a smile on my face everytime i'm in the drivers seat!

This after being abused by atleast 3 drivers in the last 3 years.

Service has been a mixed bag with the experience at Vinayak Motors getting worser with every visit.

Will i consider a Skoda when i upgrade? Hell yeah!

Last edited by shashank.nk : 10th August 2012 at 14:31. Reason: Added points mentioned in OP
Old 10th August 2012, 14:34   #85
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
We have a 5.5 year old Octy with 75k on the odo and still on the original clutch, like i mentioned elsewhere no issues or premature failures of parts. It runs beautifully even till date and never fails to put a smile on my face everytime i'm in the drivers seat!
The Octy is actually one reliable beast which is also equally frugal to run and enjoyable to drive.

Enjoy your experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
If Skoda/VW can get rid of their 2 curses in this country - lack of trained service personnel and the doomed DSG - I think they have enough under the sleeve to give the others a run for their money.
Thank you for the detailed inputs Memphes.

Is the DSG actually doomed? Are both the 6 and the 7 speed DSGs doomed? That is one of the findings that this poll is expected to give us.

ASCs, yes, they continue to be a mixed breed, which certainly needs to improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayank123 View Post
hi guys,
Hi Mayank, can you let us know the Major Issue you faced with your non DSG Skoda please?

Last edited by n.devdath : 10th August 2012 at 14:48. Reason: Quoting Memphes's post.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 14:36   #86
BHPian

I own an Octavia vRS 2005 closing in on 66,000 Kms. I have not yet come across any major expenses on her and she has been reliable as a car should be. Have done good miles and even late night highway interstates drives and the only time I have had issues is with the darn Ignition coils every time. I keep a stock with me now.

My cousin, driving his Father's Diesel Octavia (a company vehicle) fell so much for the brand he went ahead and booked himself the Rapid which got delivered this week. Even after informing him that this is not a usual Japanese car (this is one guy who does not respect cars a BIT) and it required a little know how of the basis it did not deter him at all. He says if there is a car to be enjoyed in his budget, it is Skoda !
Old 10th August 2012, 16:19   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like finally TBHP is warming up to Skoda

a. Make and model year. : Laura TSI MT 2011
b. No of Kms done. : 25,000
c. Kind of environment traveled in (Hot climate or moderate climate) - Moderate climate
d. Self driven, driver driven, or both : COmpletely self driven from day one.
e. If you are happy with the Skoda/Skoda ASC support that you have received for your car, and finally : Yes. So far so good.
f. If you would buy another Skoda and/or recommend it to your loved ones. : Depends who I am reccomending it to. If the person is a 'Car person' yes. If not , no

My car has had zero issues (minor or major) so far. THe experience with the ASC has been mininal. Just one serivce and one general check up. On both occasions the experience was better than Maruti, Toyota & Hyundai which I have experienced earlier. The simple reason being empty service station and exclusive attention (at Vinayak cars new service facility at Okalipuram) COming to think of it, I was sick of the mad rush at Ravindu Toyota!

Recommending Skoda to loved ones is still risky business. SO far I've only seen the good side of ownership for a short period of just one and a bit years. Need to see how things go on from here on. But the car feels bulletproof as far as reliability is concerned. Looks like she's a keeper!

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 10th August 2012 at 16:42.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 16:40   #88
buz
BHPian

a. Make and model year - Skoda Laura (or Octavia II) 2011 model
b. No of Kms done. - 17000
c. Kind of environment traveled in (Hot climate or moderate climate) - Moderate
d. Self driven, driver driven, or both, - Self
e. If you are happy with the Skoda/Skoda ASC support that you have received for your car - Sales and after sales show a goodbye hand the moment the car rolls out of the showroom. Got my first service done at the JMD Andheri garage - wasnt very impressed with the quality of the work over there. Will try the navi mumbai garage next time around.
f. If you would buy another Skoda and/or recommend it to your loved ones - already did. Definitely a value buy with the common engine to VW and the quality of interiors, at least in the Laura and the Superb.
buz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 17:07   #89
BHPian

Hi.
I own a fabia 1.2 petrol 2011.
I love it's handling and reliability thus far. It's definitely fun to drive.

I don't like the poor sound insulation. There is excessive road noise and even the 1.2 petrol almost sounds like a diesel inside the cabin!!

Power is decent for the capacity but I'm getting a mileage of just 14.5 on highway and 12.5 in city.

There is a squeaking noise from the doors when traveling over undulating terrain. The Skoda service station manager said it will have to be done by the 'denter' and would take a couple of days. So I'm not very impressed by the servicing culture either.

All in all, average experience.
Old 10th August 2012, 18:20   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

a. Make and model year.: 2010 Laura DSG TDI CR 140hp Ambiente
b. No of Kms done.: 34,000
c. Kind of environment traveled in (Hot climate or moderate climate): North India means extreme summers and chilly winters. Ladakh Drive due soon.
d. Self driven, driver driven, or both: Self Driven
e. If you are happy with the Skoda/Skoda ASC support that you have received for your car, and finally,: Yes, pretty good and i know a even better dealer
f. If you would buy another Skoda and/or recommend it to your loved ones.: Yes, already have. Have a few DSGs in extended family and friends.

My car has had ZERO issue till date. Most reliable car i have owned till date.

The only Skoda i would never recommend is Superb Petrol 1.8 TSI with DSG7. Here is Why- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...not-india.html

Last edited by .anshuman : 10th August 2012 at 18:22.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks