Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Is your Skoda Reliable?
I have had No Major Issues with my non DSG Skoda. 43 51.81%
I have had Major Issues with my non DSG Skoda. 10 12.05%
I have had No Major Issues with my DSG Skoda. 13 15.66%
I have had Only DSG issues with my 6 speed DSG 4 4.82%
I have had Only DSG issues with my 7 speed DSG. 13 15.66%
I have had Major Issues with my DSG Skoda other than the DSG. 5 6.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 16:48   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Woes And The Ghost Of The Mechatronics!!

I didn't get why Skoda is refusing to cover the gearbox replacemnt under warranty. Can you pl re explain? Your earlier post about First Choice etc was not very clear.
Old 15th May 2011, 17:04   #47
Team-BHP Support

Because he bought the car from Mahindra First Choice (used Skoda) and not a Skoda Dealer (new Skoda), the warranty is void.

I guess there is a fine print that warranty is not transferrable from the original owner to another person.
Old 15th May 2011, 23:45   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Because he bought the car from Mahindra First Choice (used Skoda) and not a Skoda Dealer (new Skoda), the warranty is void.

I guess there is a fine print that warranty is not transferrable from the original owner to another person.
I am a little confused as well. If the car is less than 2 years old, it is in warranty. I thought skoda warranty is transferable. See point #1 in link below.

Terms and Condition
Old 16th May 2011, 00:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
I am a little confused as well. If the car is less than 2 years old, it is in warranty. I thought skoda warranty is transferable. See point #1 in link below.

Terms and Condition

Thats the point that was confusing me the most too!! i dont think any OEM can get away with a 'non-transferable' warranty on re-sale... That would just pull their cars' resale value down the moment you bought them!!

@V16.. Btw.. do you know who is the manufacturer of this 'Mechatronics' part?
Also, have you checked if it is possible to get one from abroad for cheaper? since your car's not under warranty... you might not lose anything for replacing it on your own (don't think the replacement would be something that cant be managed! )
Old 16th May 2011, 11:25   #50
Team-BHP Support

wow, so skoda website says one thing, but ground reality is totally different. This is truly shocking, but then, going by their past record in trying to wiggle out of problems, its not really surprising.
Old 16th May 2011, 20:00   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post

Terms and Condition
I guess Skoda has a point. First Choice conducts its own 118-point check (or some such) and service before re-selling the vehicle (it is one of their selling points). They also issue their own warranty on the resold vehicle. That is probably enough to qualify them to disqualify the warranty on the pretext that only authorised Skoda service centres are allowed to touch the car for warranty to be valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
wow, so skoda website says one thing, but ground reality is totally different. This is truly shocking, but then, going by their past record in trying to wiggle out of problems, its not really surprising.
True . I can imagine a Maruti or Hyundai responding to this situation totally differently.

Last edited by noopster : 16th May 2011 at 20:01.
Old 19th May 2011, 23:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

Last year i was mulling over buying a used skoda octavia and was searching a lot for a good used one but when i read about all the horror stories i just stayed away and somewhat lost the confidence in skoda. This thread has just reaffirmed the same. Good that i went for a OHC Vtec, just loving it.

Gogiji, why dont you knock on their higher management and see what kind of response is received.
Old 29th August 2011, 20:36   #53
Team-BHP Support

This weekend looks like another two Superbs can be added to the list. One is ivar and another belonging to a very good friend of mine.

Funny enough, this seems to be happening in Mumbai, is it the weather, and the hot humid conditions creating this failure.

Been trawling around the net on this, my guess also is that this is happening to models made before 2010. Strong consumer action saw VW addressing this by offering a 10 year extended warranty for DSG boxes. It stopped short of a total recall since things needed to be politically managed since VW were building a plant in the US

Yes it happens there too.

Alas, our consumer rights are not quite there yet but we will be there one day, I hope

NHSTA
Old 29th August 2011, 21:07   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post

Been trawling around the net on this, my guess also is that this is happening to models made before 2010.
If it's happening now to 2010 models, won't it happen next year to the 2011 models?

One good thing is - Skoda offers 2 years warranty for replaced parts. So as long as DSG/mechatronics does not work for more than 2 years at a stretch, owner is safe (a bliss in disguise).

Cheers!
Old 30th August 2011, 06:28   #55
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

a friend of mine whom I met last weekend told me that he had this mechatronics problem with his Superb's DSG gearbox. It is a one and half year old new Superb.
its sitting in the garage awaiting a replacement now. Luckily since it is under warranty it is being replaced without cost. I guess he will have to pay for labour though.
looks like these cars, however desirable, have their downside in typical Indian operating conditions - water, slush, mud, dust etc possibly interfere seriously with the electronics. he also told me this problem tends to plague VW's, Audis and of course the Skoda - considering they all must be using the same or similar sources for these electronics.
apparently if it is out of warranty it can cost as much as 1.5 lacs to set right!!
pretty frightening for any prospective owner I must say!
Old 30th August 2011, 09:31   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
If it's happening now to 2010 models, won't it happen next year to the 2011 models?

One good thing is - Skoda offers 2 years warranty for replaced parts. So as long as DSG/mechatronics does not work for more than 2 years at a stretch, owner is safe (a bliss in disguise).

Cheers!
Quite possible.

If you read the terms of the warranty, the warranty for the parts replaced under warranty is only for the duration of the warranty.

ie. my 4 year warranty, I have my mechatronic fail on me at 3.5 years, the warranty is only for 6 months.

However if it fails on my 4th year and I need to pay out for it, I get a 2 year warranty.

Time for DSG owners to lobby the consumer forum to force VAG to give an extended warranty
Old 30th August 2011, 13:03   #57
BHPian

Well, I'm sorry but I will have to add to this list of mechatronic failures on the superb 1.8 TSi with the DSG box. Mine is a feb 2010 model 1.8 TSi. Done 16,100 kms. On Aug 19th drove from Bangalore to Ooty. Absolutely no problem at all getting there. Next day - had exactly the same problem as reported by a number of members here. The ignition turned on and the display mentioned an ECM fault. However, could not crank the engine. Gear lever would not move out of 'P' and the P was flashing. Called Skoda and they sent up someone from Coimbatore. The car had to be recovered on a flat bed back to Skoda CBE. It was the most heart wrenching moment for me!!! As I write this, the car is currently in Skoda Cbe and the fault has been identifed as an issue with the mechatronics. They say they have received the replacement yday and if all goes well should get the car tomorrow. I met with the Skoda officials here in Bangalore and the revert that I want from them is as to why this part failed after only 16000 kms. What assurance do I have that post replacement I will not have the same problem? Also, is there any preventive measures on this. All in all - from being a thrilled and satisfied superb customer (the car is really awesome), I am now disillusioned with this failure and the numerous posts that I read wrt the mechatronics part.
Old 30th August 2011, 14:01   #58
Senior - BHPian

Whats the update Gogi ? Did you pay for the part ? Did Skoda give you back the car in working condition ?
Old 30th August 2011, 14:07   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_driver View Post
I met with the Skoda officials here in Bangalore and the revert that I want from them is as to why this part failed after only 16000 kms. What assurance do I have that post replacement I will not have the same problem? Also, is there any preventive measures on this.

So what did they say?
And what's the warranty terms applicable in such case (replacement done during warranty period)?
Old 30th August 2011, 14:42   #60
BHPian

Well they haven't yet reverted. Car is still being attended to. However, what's the take on the warranty. I think it should be extended. Has anyone faced an issue again after the mechatronic unit has been replaced. That is my biggest worry.
Btw, know of a friend who had the same mechatronic issue in Assam. Just wanted to tag in all known cases. This is really a serious issue!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks