Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2011, 15:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Black Ambiente Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI - Total satisfaction incorporated

Hey buz!! Congratulations on buying the best car available in the segment..

As for the odometer being reset, there is a reading at the bottom of the MDI which won't reset at any amount of kms and there are two other trip meters in the center of MDI whose function is explained clearly by androdev above. In my car, when the car is in motion, the kms shown below disappears and a MPH form of speed is displayed and whenever it is stopped, it again shows the kms. This can be activated and deactivated through VCDS. I got it done from the dealer itself.

For the stiff ride try filling your tyres with nitrogen at 30psi. it worked great for me.

A very good explanation on increasing the FE of the car by androdev. I have managed to get a 7ltrs/100km on the MDI in city and 6.3ltrs/100kms on the highway using the above method.

and brother this car tempts you to go faster and faster because no matter at what speed your going, the pull and stability is so awesome that its just hard to resist but do resist and drive safe.

Lastly and most importantly remember to keep a 1ltr box of shell helix ultra in the trunk until the first service.

And can you please tell me how to check the date of manufacturing of the car through the VIN. I purchased it last year in june but didn't check that.
Old 29th May 2011, 10:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsonu
And can you please tell me how to check the date of manufacturing of the car through the VIN. I purchased it last year in june but didn't check that.
There is a VIN thread started by @wildon
head to this thread and check out how to decode the skoda VIN. Very helpful thread it has practically every manufacturers VIN decoder.
Old 29th May 2011, 12:06   #18
buz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
If you need the Ross tech cable for any diagnostics let me know. It helped me once when I got the service interval indication after the first service.
Thanks for the offer. Will surely consider. Have been avidly following your post on the cool things you have unearthed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
Congratulations on possibly the best machine this side of 30 Lakhs. And on behalf of all petrol heads let me lend out a huge note of Gratitude.

Thank you for buying the 1.8 TSI. In this era where Petrol heads are threatened by the logical sense of Diesel lovers, Its nice to see a 1.8 Tsi coming along.
Anytime. With no offense to diesel car owners, I am much in favour of a refined engine. If there is cabin noise even in a diesel Beamer or Merc, then how does one reconcile with the same engine in a Skoda or a VW. Just didn't pass my muster. Sadly, demand is what governs supply and I lost out on the opportunity for an automatic version of the petrol Laura.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Here is a quote from 50.3 Mpg - TDIClub Forums
Thanks for the tip! I did try it yesterday but somehow couldn't get the intended results. Maybe I need to try it out on longer trips than a ride to Phoenix from Bandra (11km). Or maybe I need to practice the pulse-glide better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsonu View Post

As mentioned already, do a search on VIN and Wildon and you will get to the thread. It is quite a saviour.

Thanks for all the tips. I will surely keep in mind the aspect of keeping some engine oil handy for the inevitable in this car. 3M I might postpone till the next summers. Being in Mumbai, the next 4 months I will hardly need sunfilm. Post that weather is relatively comfortable during winter months. Yet to muster up courage for spending upwards of 30k on the leather seats. I think a few months of savings should help in that. Will really appreciate if someone with experience on the MDI cable or bluetooth retrofitting can help me. Just want to get some way of using my iphone from the head unit controls rather than cables running around. Also, is it necessary to get an underbody protective treatment done?
Old 29th May 2011, 14:13   #19
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations Buz! The black Laura is really buzzing. Great choice indeed.

You mentioned that you got the wood inserts done at the dealership. Was this done FoC? And did you get the seats done in leather, or its the stock fabric?

Some more interior pictures will be great
Old 29th May 2011, 14:18   #20
BHPian

Congratulation Buz. I just got my Tsi 15 days back. Got the Stanleys done yesterday & have posted the pictures on my post. It's really disappointing to see the fogs disappear on the tsi.
Old 30th May 2011, 09:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

As far as i know Skoda's already come with underbody treatment. So i am guessing this won't be necessary.
Last heard most manufacturers are adopting this treatment at the factory itself saving the owners the trouble of doing so.
Old 30th May 2011, 10:09   #22
buz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
You mentioned that you got the wood inserts done at the dealership. Was this done FoC? And did you get the seats done in leather, or its the stock fabric?
Nothing was free :-) The wood inserts set us back by 17k at JMD. Have retained the stock fabric. Yet to take a decision on the leather. The stock fabric itself is very high quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
Congratulation Buz. I just got my Tsi 15 days back. Got the Stanleys done yesterday & have posted the pictures on my post. It's really disappointing to see the fogs disappear on the tsi.
Fogs would have been cool. Will go through your post as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
As far as i know Skoda's already come with underbody treatment. So i am guessing this won't be necessary.
Last heard most manufacturers are adopting this treatment at the factory itself saving the owners the trouble of doing so.
That's a saviour. Thanks for the info.
Old 30th May 2011, 11:06   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
Nothing was free :-) The wood inserts set us back by 17k at JMD. Have retained the stock fabric. Yet to take a decision on the leather. The stock fabric itself is very high quality.

Fogs would have been cool. Will go through your post as well.
Thanks for the response buz.
Do you mean that the TSi does not come with fog lamps? I thought it was omitted only in the classic trim.
Old 30th May 2011, 11:09   #24
buz
BHPian

My bad. Fogs in place in the Ambiente version.
buz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 13:50   #25
BHPian

i recently went in for my first service for the TSI and the service advisor was really insisting on underbody anti-rust coating which was 2.5k. I am a little confused of this as i have never got this done on any car and i have a 11 year old honda city which is perfectly fine wheres skoda is just an year old.
So, should i go for this treatment because he said that rust could go to some parts of the engine from underbody. I seriously gave it a thought after listening to that but didn't opt for it because i thought why not ask the gurus over here first.
and how do you make sure that they have actually replaced the parts (like engine oil etc) that they charge for as they don't let you see the car while it is being serviced.
Old 30th May 2011, 15:06   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Buz, can you reconfirm this?
I bought my Tsi Ambiente in the last week of April 2011 & the VIN indicated March 2011 manufacture. However, fog lights are missing on my vehicle.
Old 30th May 2011, 15:53   #27
BHPian

fog lights are present in the ambient version. i bought it last year and got the fog lamps and a friend of mine took delivery yesterday and fog lamps were there.
Check with your dealer if you don't have fog lamps. Maybe they upgraded the classic version to ambient for you. Just thinking aloud..
Old 30th May 2011, 17:35   #28
BHPian

Congratulations on the lovely black Laura. The awesome performance and the resultant happiness is evident in your smiles.
Please keep posting your driving experiences. Happy motoring!
Old 30th May 2011, 18:17   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsonu View Post
fog lights are present in the ambient version. i bought it last year and got the fog lamps and a friend of mine took delivery yesterday and fog lamps were there.
Check with your dealer if you don't have fog lamps. Maybe they upgraded the classic version to ambient for you. Just thinking aloud..
2010 and earlier versions of TSI came with Fog lamps but the current lot in 2011 does not have them. The diesel ambiente continues to have Fog lamps as OEM fitment. Can you confirm if your friend who took delivery yesterday bought a diesel or petrol version? If it was indeed a petrol, it is something to sit up and take notice. Why the inconsistency then?

Quote:
Fogs in place only in Diesel Ambiente version

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thanks for the response buz.
Do you mean that the TSi does not come with fog lamps? I thought it was omitted only in the classic trim.
There are no Fog Lamps in the Ambiente Petrol trim (TSI) from 2011 onwards. The diesel Ambiente has the Fog lamps.
Old 30th May 2011, 20:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congrats buz! That's one helluva car you got there! Enjoy her to the max. Would be interested in reading a mid-long term review, especially on how she handles the Mumbai traffic and Mumbai rains!
14.6L OTR is a very good price for a TSI.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks