Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2011, 12:12   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Black Ambiente Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI - Total satisfaction incorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

BTW, for those who are curious about the compulsion to press the clutch while cranking - the TSi manual says that pressing the clutch disengages transmissiton completely from the engine, thereby reducing the load on the starter motor and increasing it's life.

Cheers!
Is that TSi specefic? No such things on the Diesel siblings. Checked with the new TDi's (2011 makes) also.
Old 6th June 2011, 12:22   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Is that TSi specefic? No such things on the Diesel siblings. Checked with the new TDi's (2011 makes) also.
You are talking about the owner manual contents or the need to press the clutch during ignition?
I think the owner manual is common for all varients - petrol and diesel.

And, BTW, Laura will start even if you do not press clutch during ignition, however owner manual recommends to press the clutch for the reason sited above.
Old 6th June 2011, 12:54   #78
BHPian

Guys I am not sure if it is such a big deal for the need to press the clutch while starting the engine. Its a good thing and it has been there in the Hyundais since a long time.

Many times we tend to park the cars in gear and upon starting we forget to change to neutral and crank the engine. The car lunges forward a little bit upon doing so. I guess this is bad for the transmission. Hence pressing the clutch will help prevent this occurrence.
Old 6th June 2011, 13:24   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
Guys I am not sure if it is such a big deal for the need to press the clutch while starting the engine. Its a good thing and it has been there in the Hyundais since a long time.

Many times we tend to park the cars in gear and upon starting we forget to change to neutral and crank the engine. The car lunges forward a little bit upon doing so. I guess this is bad for the transmission. Hence pressing the clutch will help prevent this occurrence.

Of course, it's not a big deal in terms of effort and in fact may be a real big deal in terms of increasing the life of the starter motor.

What I liked about the Skoda is that the owner manual clearly mentions the reason - makes it a very good book to read.
Old 6th June 2011, 13:53   #80
BHPian

Quote:
What I liked about the Skoda is that the owner manual clearly mentions the reason - makes it a very good book to read.
its a good book. But I don't like the Skoda manual. It is a common manual for all variants and it feels sad to read about all the awesome features that are not present in my TSI.
Old 6th June 2011, 14:16   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
its a good book. But I don't like the Skoda manual. It is a common manual for all variants and it feels sad to read about all the awesome features that are not present in my TSI.
I ).

BTW, what's the take on the lumbar support in the newest Laura's?
The lumbar ssupport adjustment range in my TSi is not that great - the one in the Octavia was amazing - had awesome range.

I tried to bring this up with Skoda - no reply. Dealer showed me all Laura's and proved it was same in all of them. There have been complaints from UK owners as well. Just want to check if the newer cars have this resolved.

Cheers!
Old 6th June 2011, 14:20   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
and there are so many of those features mentioned in the mannual with a little * next to it. While some of them are present , most are not. Makes one wonder many times whether this feature is present in the car or not. (or supposed to be present and missing in just my car!)

Wish Skoda had printed an India specific or TSI specific mannual.

Quote:

BTW, what's the take on the lumbar support in the newest Laura's?
The lumbar ssupport adjustment range in my TSi is not that great - the one in the Octavia was amazing - had awesome range.

Cheers!
THe lumbar support adjustment hardly makes any difference. Looks like this issue remains unresolved till date.

Last edited by .anshuman : 6th June 2011 at 14:34. Reason: Back to Back post within 30mins, Please use Multi-quote button when quoting more than one post. Thanks
Old 6th June 2011, 17:04   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post

P.S.: jatinganapathy, you name reminds me of somebody who was with me in Gujarat from 2002-2004. Are you the one?
One & the same. PM me
Old 6th June 2011, 20:29   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko

Could you confirm this please once you've had a look at the car? I've been told that only the fog lamps have been restored. Do check the VIN to make sure that it's a 2011 model.
The car finally arrived at the dealer today. Orko, you are correct, only fogs have been restored. Sales guy said other three features are off from diesel ambiente as well. Fogs are back on all colors. The car is 25 May 11 production as per VIN characters as well as date on packing film. Once insurance is endorsed in favor of new piece, should FINALLY get delivery by friday. Looking forward to a revvin' weekend and a long drive by end of months.

@Jatin: have sent u an email separately.
Old 6th June 2011, 21:11   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred

The car finally arrived at the dealer today. Orko, you are correct, only fogs have been restored. Sales guy said other three features are off from diesel ambiente as well. Fogs are back on all colors. The car is 25 May 11 production as per VIN characters as well as date on packing film. Once insurance is endorsed in favor of new piece, should FINALLY get delivery by friday. Looking forward to a revvin' weekend and a long drive by end of months.

Congrats. You are one of those lucky ones that have a 2011 tsi with fogs
Old 6th June 2011, 21:22   #86
BHPian

Quote:

@Bloodred - Congratulations! on your TSI with Fogs.

God! I have never seen so much excitement over fog lamps, that too in a 15L car.

It feels absurd to see Alto's and Santro's on the road having Fog lamps when I drive a much bigger car without such a basic feature.
Old 6th June 2011, 22:07   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa

@Bloodred - Congratulations! on your TSI with Fogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg

Congrats. You are one of those lucky ones that have a 2011 tsi with fogs
u

Thanks Maibaa, cedrics. Pure luck it was!

When dealer asked me to take delivery and promised to get fogs fitted over next 10 days, told him to fit fogs first and deliver, i'm ready to wait. Guess he had no choice left then.

Not a very nice way of selling a car at this price though!
Old 7th June 2011, 01:18   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update, bloodred, and congratulations too. Here's to the rest of your Skoda experience being smooth and trouble-free.

I was informed of my VIN today—it's March 2011. Should I insist on a more recent date?

Also, how did you get the day as well as the month? According to the code-sheet, I can tell the month only. And I've been given the engine number too—is there anything I can tell from that?
Old 7th June 2011, 07:37   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orko

Thanks for the update, bloodred, and congratulations too. Here's to the rest of your Skoda experience being smooth and trouble-free.

I was informed of my VIN today—it's March 2011. Should I insist on a more recent date?

Also, how did you get the day as well as the month? According to the code-sheet, I can tell the month only. And I've been given the engine number too—is there anything I can tell from that?
Thanks Orko. You can get the date using an online decoder on vagauto.com. If you google with 'skoda vin decoder' you will get the link. U need only VIN no to get this info. Basic few details inc date of mfg are free (complete report for €4). Also once car arrives, the protective sheet on bonnet will have a sticker on it mentioning application date.

I saw no of march cars in stockyard here, so should be ok . Pls go in bright day light. Check that ICE is not coded (will have a blue packing and should not be working), no hand marks on upholstery, roof, lamination on cabin carpet intact and no major footmarks. Any variations may indicate usage as a test car. Few months shouldn't make a differwnce.

Cheers!
bloodred is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2011, 12:19   #90
BHPian

I used vagauto.com and got a production date of 11.04.2011 which is April. However, the 6th letter in the VIN is C. Shouldn't that make it March?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks