Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:48   #706
Senior - BHPian

Hey Charthom: I missed the mishap part, my good wishes are with your wife as well. Being an organic agriculturist I would recommend her taking turmeric and ashwagandha on regular basis to strengthen her bones and muscles. Excellent garden, I am jealous

Kirantp: You are igniting suppressed audiophiles in me, do let us know how things go. Don't buy without an audition in your car, take a drive on road to hear the actual difference, it's one thing just to feel the music stationary while it's another to be on the road and still feel the thump. All the best.

Philips and Osram both have good bulbs for replacement.
Sn1p3r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:21   #707
BHPian

Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
First things first -sorry to hear your wife suffering again, I wish her a speedy recovery, I hope she finds a permenant cure during the current therapy.
Thanks for the concern,Remi. she is not suffering pain now.It is a rehab progam. ie she can come back to normal to a great extent care free every day life.

She is alone at the hospital this moment-both son and me are sad and anxious at home. :-( Of course, Honda jazz ad is the mantra to follow!!

Quote:
Wow man fantastics pics!!
Thank you for posting these refreshing pics
Happy you liked it,mate. Yam is either surang or arvi in Hindi,hopefully. It causes itching due to the presence of oxalic acid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Charthom buddy, beautiful snaps. Just loved the plants your FIL has grown.
Given the fuel efficient nature of our ANHC's it goes well with the natural surroundings.
I agree that Cuz's 8'O Clock pics bring out the best of the ANHC.
Thank you,dear friend.

Quote:
So what have you thought about the rear bumper? full replacement?
I had my doubts on a fix up job during Chicca's time and hence opted to pay 50% of the cost and replace the whole bumper.
Wake up,mdsaab,let me sprinkle some water-I have already posted the post repair snaps Just straightened and painted.Looks good. It is ok. I have done the same on my i10,Santro and old M 800. Long lasting result. Hence should be alright. the bumper was not damaged anyway,you saw the snaps.

Quote:
If the Civic has Alpine speakers, then i can definately say that the quality is pretty good.
Not sure I thought the Civic should have Alpine as OE.Just a guess.

Quote:
Also for my use, not being an extreme audiophile they serve the purpose really well.
Frankly me too mostly listen to FM radio while driving-to keep my nerves cool.Can't imagine listening to Arnold Schoenberg's Transfigured Night while driving in traffic in Cochin,my God!! Still hearing it on a high resolution,super quality music system will be a treat to the ears!! Later on- Kiran, you first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Thanks for the super quick response dude. Now that I have 50% votes for Alpine the remaining 50% will depend on the demo tomorrow. Will call him up first thing in the morning and fix up a time slot. Now I can go to bed so that I can get up quickly as something new is waiting for me tomorrow
Always at your side,Kiran. BTW, if my knowledge is correct,Alpine manufactures only car stereos. Many call it the best car stereo company in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
The difference in the visibility is remarkable, don't know why they put such pathetic bulbs, both are Philips though but low profile bulbs.
Cheers.
MKP,they don't want to run the risk of violating the regulations.That is what I understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
(I am preparing myself so that I can go for the best )
Will keep you all posted with the updates.
Best of luck,dude. Post fast.
charthom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:28   #708
BHPian

Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Hey Charthom: I missed the mishap part, my good wishes are with your wife as well. Being an organic agriculturist I would recommend her taking turmeric and ashwagandha on regular basis to strengthen her bones and muscles. Excellent garden, I am jealous
Welcome back-Sn1p3r. The return of the Native!! Thanks for the feedback on the supplements. Turmeric is an integral part of the diet. Ashwagandha ,I will catch hold of it.

My father-in-law has been suffering from cardiac depression following a valve replacement surgery- so his garden had been neglected for some time. Otherwise he had a stunning collection. he is recovering now-so the garden is regaining strength too.

Your valuable input is highly appreciated. Thanks, mate.

Mods-please pardon the inadvertent back to back post.

Last edited by charthom : 22nd August 2011 at 23:30.
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:13   #709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
But then you'd be compromising the air thru' the upper vents. The excuse for air that comes out of the vents under the passenger vent will not suffice at all. Plus, the won't make the passengers comfortable since the air won't really reach up to the face level.
This is very true. Rear vents are the solution. An ACC with rear vents. Hail Vento !!

Quote:
But Charthom, don't ever switch the blower off completely.
Pardon,Libran-my mistake. I meant switching off the a/c,of course. The blower should run.

Quote:
Praying for her complete and speedy recovery!
Thanks Mate.Any special powers from the Valley of Flowers?

Quote:
Roger that captain. All you need to do is tell me the time and place
Sure,in due course.

Quote:
So here I was today. Driving the golden beauty on a very very no wait extremely hot day in Pune today.
We had just started off after parking the car for a good 20 mins. No doubt the car was boiling. Pretty much what we could expect in summer.
Just sharing my procedure after parking the car in the heat-

1. Put the a/c on fresh air (I usually do this before leaving the car depending on the surroundings)
2. Open all windows on the move-the draft of air will push the hot air out and comparatively cool air will enter.
3.Switch on the a/c-put to fan speed 4. A minute's run with the windows open will do no harm.
5. close the windows.
6. Put on recirc.
7. As the cabin cools down-keep reducing the fan speed. Most of the occasions you may drive at fan position 1 within no time.

When the cabin is heated up,there is a high chance that the plastics may liberate Benzene. Hence don't try to cool the very hot air and cruise along-if the circumstances permit, please follow what I have written.

The beige( or light coloured) interiors have a distinct advantage over dark ones. They absorb less heat and cabin remains cooler. So black cabin is a health hazard too!! Let me hide before Noopster reads this post

Quote:
And for the first time ever I had to use blower 4.
Such is life.Sigh..

Quote:
My views...
It's rather noisy at full blower speed.
But it chilled the cabin quickly.
My wife then asked me to reduce it to 3.
And then a minute later we were back to 2.
Like a cement mixer on 3 and 4.A I mentioned,keep reducing, and it will soon become comfortable.

Quote:
I told my wife about our discussion yesterday, and we had a good laugh at the fact that I had just mentioned the blower in my post yesterday.
A good laughter cools your brains much more effectively than an a/c.

Quote:
I feel using the thermostat is better than switching off the AC switch. Once you get used to selecting the right temp it works like a charm.
True.
---
Quote:
thanks for the warm invite, I seriously hope to meet all you wonderful folks in the near future.
Let's hope we work something out.
Yes, it is hope that drives us!!
charthom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 08:54   #710
BHPian

Quote:

My wife and daughter were seated at the back. So they were really feeling the heat more than me.
And for the first time ever I had to use blower 4.
Imagine the irony cause we were just speaking about this yesterday.
And here I was today using the blower on full for the first time ever.
My views...
It's rather noisy at full blower speed.
But it chilled the cabin quickly.
My wife then asked me to reduce it to 3.
And then a minute later we were back to 2.
Yes, I agree with you on this part. This exact thought has been on my mind too. When I went home last year, this is exactly what happened. The A/C is an absolute chiller. Fortunately for Bangalore weather, I also have the luxury of using cold air intake to keep the cabin temperature pleasant. Keep in mind this also helps on fuel efficiency.

I agree that anything over 3 for blower speed is noisy, but its far better compared to my older santro and the Zen. For hot summers, best to start with a higher fan speed to let the air circulate and then lower the fan speed and use thermos to maintain the required temperature. mdsaab, I hope you also use the technique of rolling down all the windows and then turning on the blower to a 3 or 4 to drain away the hot air trapped inside. That helps cool the cabin very very quickly.

@charthom
Wonderful snaps, buddy. I have one phrase for your second snap - The man & the machine in perfect glory. The 8 O' clock position looks awesome. Somehow I always feel that when the city and Civic are on the road, they have a huge road presence compared to most other cars in that segment or below. It really makes you look at it a lot. Do you guys agree? The civic looks like a jet moving on the road.
Your in laws home looks wonderful with all the greenery. I miss all of that here in Bangalore. I wish every home had space for a lawn and lots of plants

@kirantp

Dude, before you go in, I just want to say that irrespective of how capable the music system is, you must ensure that the system and speakers are in the right match. (reminds me of sun dish TV HD AD). I say so because my colleague spent 75K on his music system for the accent and then the result was a total dull!!! However, he was lucky that there was another colleague near my work bay who has a natural ability to hear all kinds of tones and sounds. His part time hobby is tuning the music system and also helps many car stereo installers. He has some great opinions that the music should be like someone singing in front of you like in a hall rather than someone singing for you from behind. I didn't quite care until I actually saw the tuning he had done for the other colleague which resulted in awersome improvement.
So you don't need a very high end music system and speakers - just make sure you have the right combo and its tuned well. My 2 paisa thoughts here.
sudeepg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 09:23   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Yes, I agree with you on this part. This exact thought has been on my mind too. When I went home last year, this is exactly what happened. The A/C is an absolute chiller. Fortunately for Bangalore weather, I also have the luxury of using cold air intake to keep the cabin temperature pleasant. Keep in mind this also helps on fuel efficiency.

I agree that anything over 3 for blower speed is noisy, but its far better compared to my older santro and the Zen. For hot summers, best to start with a higher fan speed to let the air circulate and then lower the fan speed and use thermos to maintain the required temperature. mdsaab, I hope you also use the technique of rolling down all the windows and then turning on the blower to a 3 or 4 to drain away the hot air trapped inside. That helps cool the cabin very very quickly.
Yes Siree, definately follow the roll down of the windows to let the hot air escape. So far am really happy with the performance of the AC.

Charthom Buddy ~ My mistake, i forgot about the visit to the workshop.
Glad that it is all straightened out and sorted.
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:29   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Charthom Buddy ~ My mistake, i forgot about the visit to the workshop.
Glad that it is all straightened out and sorted.
Too much T-BHP on our shoulders!! The car is back in faithful,spirited action,but is resting now.

For the last couple of days, I am depending on my small car,wife in hospital,for my run about to hosp and back-the i10 is a very capable city trotter, I must remark.Robust build,finish,very capable a/c etc.The insulation too is far superior to City. Oversensitive brakes are really irritating,though! And suspension-not ideal for bad roads at all!!

Last edited by charthom : 23rd August 2011 at 18:30.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:18   #713
BHPian

Quote:
@kirantp

Dude, before you go in, I just want to say that irrespective of how capable the music system is, you must ensure that the system and speakers are in the right match. (reminds me of sun dish TV HD AD). I say so because my colleague spent 75K on his music system for the accent and then the result was a total dull!!! However, he was lucky that there was another colleague near my work bay who has a natural ability to hear all kinds of tones and sounds. His part time hobby is tuning the music system and also helps many car stereo installers. He has some great opinions that the music should be like someone singing in front of you like in a hall rather than someone singing for you from behind. I didn't quite care until I actually saw the tuning he had done for the other colleague which resulted in awersome improvement.
So you don't need a very high end music system and speakers - just make sure you have the right combo and its tuned well. My 2 paisa thoughts here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post

Best of luck,dude. Post fast.
Quote:
Kirantp: You are igniting suppressed audiophiles in me, do let us know how things go. Don't buy without an audition in your car, take a drive on road to hear the actual difference, it's one thing just to feel the music stationary while it's another to be on the road and still feel the thump. All the best.
Thanks a lot guys for your valuable inputs and suggestions. I would like to announce that I have finally got OE speakers upgraded to Alpine for my ANHC and the quality of audio is absolutely fantastic. Will be posting the details along with some pics soon.

Stay tuned folks
Old 23rd August 2011, 21:21   #714
BHPian

Friends,

Here is something to chew on regarding the OE speakers upgrade for my ANHC.

Called up the Accessory manager in the morning and he asked me to come over right away. Reached the showroom at 11:30AM and the SA drove her straight into the workshop. I followed him and headed right towards the accessory dept to check the new Alpine speakers.

The manager instructed workshop guys to fit them and show me the demo. I was in the workshop throughout installation process and this time I managed to quickly take some pics from my mobile .

The guys at the workshop were very friendly. In no time they removed the OE speakers (man these OE speakers look so ordinary in front of Alpine) that were no match in looks compared to Alpine. Once they installed all 4 of them, it was time for some demo and evaluation.

I had intentionally carried various collection of good songs that were both instrumental and the not so instru ones so that I can play them during the demo. I was on top of the world as soon the music started and within seconds I was all over these little gem of a speakers. The amount of Bass that they carry is terrific and there is no distortion whatsoever even though you adjust the settings to full bass. I requested them to close all doors and up the windows as advised by our friends sudeepg and Sn1p3r and then with A/C ON as well. I was totally convinced on the preformance and quality output that the speakers provided which got me into signing off the deal.

It was a great experience alltogether. Also got a good free wash and shine for the car after installation

Comments and feedback welcome.

Please find the details of Alpine speakers:

Model: SPS600 - 6.5 inches co-axial speakers

Specs:

Peak Power Capacity - 240W
RMS - 80W

Tweeter Type: 1'' Wide-Range Silk Dome Tweeter
Application Type / Design Detail: Internal / Swivel Tweeter
Magnet Material: Ultra Low Distortion Magnet Design
Cone Material: Poly-Mica Cone

Total Time taken for installation - 1.5hrs

Total Cost - 8K (2 pairs)

Screen grab taken from the product catalogue:

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-alpine01.jpg

At the workshop 01

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-23082011132.jpg

At the workshop 02

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-23082011133.jpg
kirantp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 22:55   #715
BHPian

Kiran,

Great news. Congrats. Sexy looking speakers. and I know that they are sexy sounding too.Excellent upgrade!!

Please pardon my ignorance and clarify these doubts.

1. You fitted 4 speakers or 6? Is it 2 pairs of tweeter,front and rear? One of my my previous cars had tweeters,4 inch front and 6 inch rear. How is it here?

2.Did you not opt for amp/sub? Is it not necessary/advisable?

3. Had you considered any other brand eg.Blaupunkt etc?
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:24   #716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom

Welcome back-Sn1p3r. The return of the Native!! Thanks for the feedback on the supplements. Turmeric is an integral part of the diet. Ashwagandha ,I will catch hold of it.

My father-in-law has been suffering from cardiac depression following a valve replacement surgery- so his garden had been neglected for some time. Otherwise he had a stunning collection. he is recovering now-so the garden is regaining strength too.

Your valuable input is highly appreciated. Thanks, mate.

Mods-please pardon the inadvertent back to back post.
A bit off topic. Turmeric is a healing herb first then a spice thus take it as herb, mix half a teaspoon and drink it with milk/ghee/honey. Your FIL should have Arjuna as herb again as herb All will be hail and hearty in no time. Convey my regards to all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp
Friends,

Here is something to chew on regarding the OE speakers upgrade for my ANHC.

Comments and feedback welcome.

Please find the details of Alpine speakers:

Model: SPS600 - 6.5 inches co-axial speakers

Specs:

Peak Power Capacity - 240W
RMS - 80W

Tweeter Type: 1'' Wide-Range Silk Dome Tweeter
Application Type / Design Detail: Internal / Swivel Tweeter
Magnet Material: Ultra Low Distortion Magnet Design
Cone Material: Poly-Mica Cone
Nice ones, you are a happy camper, can feel the excitement in your write up. Cheers!

Will these work with the OEM system? What did you do with the originals?
Sn1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 00:24   #717
BHPian

Fantastic pictures dude!! Am getting really tempted 2 sets @ 8k
Are you aware what the original speakers are ? I did not see any branding or logo in them while getting the interiors done. Those starts sputtering if you increase the volume beyond 10 with high bass settings.

Did you compare it with JBL GTO 699 Series speakers? If i recollect correctly the price would be more or less in the same range.

Enjoy the Music

Cheers !!
Old 24th August 2011, 10:19   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Kiran,

Great news. Congrats. Sexy looking speakers. and I know that they are sexy sounding too.Excellent upgrade!!
Thanks Charthom.
Please pardon my ignorance and clarify these doubts.

1. You fitted 4 speakers or 6? Is it 2 pairs of tweeter,front and rear? One of my my previous cars had tweeters,4 inch front and 6 inch rear. How is it here?
4 Speakers. Each of these speakers come with tweeters sitting on top of them (Pic#1 in my original post, the small round thing in the center is the tweeter). These swivel tweeters can be rotated to adjust to the desired angle for optimum experience.
2.Did you not opt for amp/sub? Is it not necessary/advisable?
They said amp/sub is not required since these speakers will take care of them
3. Had you considered any other brand eg.Blaupunkt etc?
I have used Blaupunkt in my Ford Ikon and have also used Sony Explod so wanted to try some other brand and found Alpine really good.
Quote:

Nice ones, you are a happy camper, can feel the excitement in your write up. Cheers!

Will these work with the OEM system? What did you do with the originals?
Thanks dude. They definitely go with OEM system. The original speakers are useless as they look pathetic and left them in the workshop itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Fantastic pictures dude!! Am getting really tempted 2 sets @ 8k
Are you aware what the original speakers are ? I did not see any branding or logo in them while getting the interiors done. Those starts sputtering if you increase the volume beyond 10 with high bass settings.
Even the Honda guys do not know what brand they are made of All I can say is they look really sick which you will come to know only when you get to see them whenever the door panel is being removed for any work.

Did you compare it with JBL GTO 699 Series speakers? If i recollect correctly the price would be more or less in the same range.
Like I had mentioned above, I had used couple of other brands earlier so wanted to try the new one and it turned out to be good.
Enjoy the Music

Cheers !!
Thanks a lot for your feedback guys. Please refer to my comments to your Qs highlighted in bold.
kirantp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 11:13   #719
BHPian

@kirantp

nice upgrades dude! thanks for the report. I heard that the stock speakers are of Nippon brand. If I recall correctly, Nippon makes security systems for Suzuki and they are good. Did not realize that they also make speakers. I got this from BlueVolt's thread here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...pg-24-a-8.html

What about the tweeters presently in the mirror mounting?
Old 24th August 2011, 13:32   #720
BHPian

Quote:
@kirantp

nice upgrades dude! thanks for the report. I heard that the stock speakers are of Nippon brand. If I recall correctly, Nippon makes security systems for Suzuki and they are good. Did not realize that they also make speakers. I got this from BlueVolt's thread here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...pg-24-a-8.html

What about the tweeters presently in the mirror mounting?
Thanks Sudeepg. The OE tweeters are also adding up to the fun by enhancing the quality of music to next level. Feels like you are sitting in some kind of a surround sound high tech theatre

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks