Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2006, 14:49   #1
BHPian

Lancer Cedia

Well, I must say that it is a big surprise to see that no details of the new entrant from HM-Mitsubishi stables is online yet! Maybe, guys are waiting to get a good long test drive, which is not yet possible, at least in Kerala. So, let me go ahead and put in my first impressions. I hope someone will add the garnish that I am forced to leave out at present!

I went to check out the Lancer Cedia with a friend, who wanted to see what it was all about before finalising a deal to buy the Optra Royale. Since "the test drives are still not open" we were forced to just look around the car and drive it around at low speed inside the dealer's premises. So, what did we see and feel about this "revolutionary new product"?

The models
Cedia is available in a Sporty or an Elegant version, both of which are priced exactly the same (9.85 lakh ex-showroom in Calicut). The cars have a distinctive grille giving them a masculine look up-front, with the Mitsubishi badge displayed prominently. From the sides and rear, however, there are no great distinguishing marks to tell someone that this is a new car that costs 10 lakhs!

The differences

The Sports version comes with an aerial sticking out from the rear end of the roof and a spoiler at the back (both of these are missing in the Elegant version). The body has slight bulges in the front and over the mudguards, to give it a muscular appearance. A part of the headlight module is black and the door handles are body coloured (both are chromed in Elegance). The interiors are fabric in Sporty and leather in Elegance, and the latter also boasts a wood-finish dashboard and a leather wrapped steering wheel. All of which go on to give the Elegance a plush feel, which is altogether lacking in Sporty, making me wonder about the rationale of selling both versions at the same price.

The common factors
The body dials and switches are all similar but unfortunately, the switchgear looks slightly dated. The electrically adjusted side view mirrors are a boon, unless you are involved in a crash and to bear the cost of replacing them. The boot space is really cavernous and there are no protruberances to snag on the goods. You can fold the central armrest of the rear seat forward, to access the boot from the cabin. The seats cannot be folded down to increase the boot space.

The leg-space is just adequate. If the driver is tall and has to push the seat back to the maximum, only a five-footer can occupy the rear seat. Shoulder space is pretty good, as is ease of ingress and egress.

Front air bags are standard, but there are no side air bags. Alloy wheels and
a Kenwood single-CD player are also standard (not sure if it handles MP3 also) in both models.

Heart of the matter

Giving life to the beast is a 2000cc SOHC, MPFI engine which can produce a little over 100 horses. The engine sounds smooth, and what little I experienced in a short ride reminded me of the Lancer lineage. The gear shifts are sharp and the engine does not really feel any strain at low accelerations. Braking was exemplary and confidence boosting, and the ventilated discs at front and ordinary discs at the rear really showed their mettle.

I really cannot comment on riding comfort, handling etc, and hope to be able to edit this post soon to cover these lacunae. Perhaps, other readers will feel fit to cover these areas from their experience too.

The Bottom Line

The Cedia will definitely be a fun car to drive, but I personally dont think it is worth the price, especially the Sporty variant, which looks like a 7-lakh car.
The car looks non-controversial/conservative/whatever you want to call it. It will not turn any heads.
The features offered are not even a patch on what you will get with an Optra for a similar price.
You need a good test drive to see how the engine compares with the Corolla and Optra.
Old 9th February 2006, 15:34   #2
BHPian

more details

The Sports version of the CEDIA infact has a bigger airdam and slightly bigger bumper compared the elegance. Although fog lamps are not a standard, southern motors in Bangalore confirmed that they give fog lamps as an option with an additional cost +Rs,8,000..
The head lamp is slightly different from the elegance, elegance has a complete chrome/silver finish, but the sports version has the edges blacked out to enhance the focusing projectors.this seems to be a precedence with manufacturers in india these days??
Another addition is full body skirts and a classy looking rear spoiler with embeded brake lights.. looks awesome
Brake lights on the sports version are made EVO style, they are clear unlike the normal boring looking red and orange in the elegance..
I took a test drive today and the most amazing thing i felt was the turning radius it was indeed small and i could do a easy u turn at comfortable sppeds, steering was light and well balanced.
A big negative which i felt was the initial pickup, this is not as good compared to an IKON !!! The car seems to hasten after you reach 60 kmph and zooms till 120-130 but after that it begins to be sluggish again at top gear..
The ride was smooth and the independent suspension is well suited for india roads although i could feel a little body roll while cornering at high speeds..
The interiors in sports version is clad with suede finish fabric ( ver y boooring) but comes with leather in the elegance..
There is a small patch of corbon fibre styled fabric on the dashboard but nothing elaborate..
The dials were old fashioned and looked booring.
The steering wheel felt very thin and was too big .. how can they fit a big/ skinny steering wheel on a supposed to be a sports model..
The boot is biiig
but i like the idea of keeping the pricing same and playing with the exterions and interiors.. looks like finally the indian automobile manf are waking up to the demands of the youth with a sports version, although this aint any sporty car atleast HM-MITSUBISHI have started a trend..
Old 9th February 2006, 23:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

I dont really like the looks of the cedia. But the car is potent enough for sure.

Some people have posted here that the cedia has the best FE in class.

Although its bit less powerful(HM needs to fire those old guys who still think they can compromise on power today) It is priced pretty well compared to corolla and octavia.

Looks like a potent performer but not for me. I hope they bring out the 1.6 litre lancer soon without the power cuts.
Old 10th February 2006, 02:04   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

It may not have the look for a 10 lakh car but it offers greater value than the Corolla IMO.
Only if they get an autobox and manage to price it below 11lakhs it would eat up the auto corolla's market and to an extent even the NHC CVT.
A good way to boost sales for this would be to get a stripped down version to go head on with the Optra and NHC. However, the Lancer now falls more into the ikon territory since its prices below 7 lakhs so HM will have a hold in both these segments.
Old 10th February 2006, 06:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

I actually wanted to buy the cedia... till i drove the car... PATHETIC is not the only word for it.. looks wise i give it a '7' out of 10 but the engine does not deliver enough.. i test drove the sports version.. it is slower than the other cars that i have also been looking at like the optra royal, the new corolla and the baleno.... yes.. its slower in the 0-100 dash as compared to the baleno even though it has 115 horses under he hood the car is heavy... the braking is definately good.... and the interiors is really comfortable.. but for me its the engine that matters... whats the point in buying a 11 lakh car if it cant outrun a baleno in 0-100 dash??????
Thats when i called off the deal...
Old 10th February 2006, 06:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

What's the difference between Fiat and HM?

Fiat brings in good products puts them on life support without any backing

HM brings in good products and strips them of life support and then provides backing.

Old 10th February 2006, 12:39   #7
BHPian

Isn't the lancer cedia the new version of the lancer? and they are going to sell the old lancer and the new lancer with a +cedia in the showrooms side by side. wonder why its always like this in india. take the case of the skoda octavia(laura). i think they should have brought in the gallant or magna and put in the +10 lakh range.
Old 10th February 2006, 12:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdfreak
Isn't the lancer cedia the new version of the lancer? and they are going to sell the old lancer and the new lancer with a +cedia in the showrooms side by side. wonder why its always like this in india. take the case of the skoda octavia(laura). i think they should have brought in the gallant or magna and put in the +10 lakh range.
I totally agree with you.. but lancer also has to look at the sales.. tell me how many people will buy the cedia which costs 11 lakh.. they are selling the GLS version of old lancer for 8 lakhs on road.. they have to cater to the people's budgets also..
Old 10th February 2006, 12:45   #9
BHPian

The Gallant is a bigger car. They would fall into different segments alltogether.
Old 10th February 2006, 14:26   #10
BHPian

"one india one price" is their communication positioning on the lancer cedia, IMO however the soon to be launched honda civic is going to definitely be competition for the rebadged optra (daewoo nubira) and the HM flogging the ageing lancer with cosmetic changes as lancer cedia, corolla is no doubt a hot seller but its a few years old but looks like a 10+ lac rupee car and carries the toyota reliability tag, as per todays Hindustan Times, mumbai had a launch date of civic as mid 2006 probably..
Old 11th February 2006, 04:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer
Cedia lacks the sports appeal of the old Lancer 1.5.

I agree with you. The car should just be called cedia. Attaching the lancer name is not worth for this car. Looks more like a commuter than sporty.
Old 14th February 2006, 01:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
but for me its the engine that matters... whats the point in buying a 11 lakh car if it cant outrun a baleno in 0-100 dash??????
Even the Optra 1.8 cant outrun a Baleno, does this mean Baleno is better than the Optra ?

If that was the case, noone would buy an S350 and all would be running after the E55 or the M5.

Palio 1.6 could easily burn a Lancer 1.5 or a Accent 1.5. But still had to retire earlier. Its the overall package that matters.

Optra despite being one of the slowest in its class is still doing preety well, coz overall it is a superb VFM.
Old 14th February 2006, 02:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Looks like HM is on a roll. Bringing in New models and opening new dealerships so fast asks for a lot of investment.

I dunno if they will be able to manage it in the long run.
Old 14th February 2006, 02:15   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
whats the point in buying a 11 lakh car if it cant outrun a baleno in 0-100 dash??????
I seriously doubt that since claims are that the Cedia is makes it to 100 below the 10 second barrier. Which it not only quicker than the baleno but also the Corolla.
Comparing it to the Corolla is justified but this car is a league ahead than a baleno for sure!
Old 14th February 2006, 02:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
I seriously doubt that since claims are that the Cedia is makes it to 100 below the 10 second barrier. Which it not only quicker than the baleno but also the Corolla.
Comparing it to the Corolla is justified but this car is a league ahead than a baleno for sure!

you are right but not every1 understands this today where Toyota and honda rings in every1's minds.

Its overall a way better package than the Corolla.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 14th February 2006 at 02:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks