Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 21:28   #76
BHPian

Re: Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_ambat View Post
I will recommend you to go for components in front, if you can make up your mind to cut the door pannels and there are good installers in Bangalore. Even if you are not going for components, I recommend you not to invest much in 4" speakers as it will be a total waste and I can guarantee you that you will think of an upgrade very soon(experience mate, I am going for morel maximos in front)

About the rear 6*9, JL is very good and the SQ is awesome (main reason why you will need a better front speakers to keep up with this). But you can also audition morel tempo, which is equally good and decide your pick(morel could save some bucks). I personally don't like Polk(above a certain volume they shout without details).
Very reluctant on cutting the door panels and covering it up with molds will exceed my budget. So I don't think I can get myself to trim up my new car. I was thinking of putting either 4" Rockfords (Punch series if they're available- haven't listened to them but I intend to) and some Rockford 6 x 9 at the back. But now that you mention it.. I didn't even consider Morel's I will give the 4" components of these a listen as well and decide on whether to go for these or not.
My dealer is suggesting I go for JL audio 6 x 9's (TR series) at the back and 4" hertz Energy in the front. Will never be able to make up my mind until I give all of these a listen.
Planning to do just that tomorrow. Only thing I'm not sure about is whether Morel's are available with my dealer.

Oh and I definitely wanna put a muffler tip on the car. Would love to see some pics with it so that I can get a few pointers from your car(which is most likely the best looking beat in the forum)
Old 16th October 2011, 21:48   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselat View Post
Very reluctant on cutting the door panels and covering it up with molds will exceed my budget. So I don't think I can get myself to trim up my new car. I was thinking of putting either 4" Rockfords (Punch series if they're available- haven't listened to them but I intend to) and some Rockford 6 x 9 at the back. But now that you mention it.. I didn't even consider Morel's I will give the 4" components of these a listen as well and decide on whether to go for these or not.
My dealer is suggesting I go for JL audio 6 x 9's (TR series) at the back and 4" hertz Energy in the front. Will never be able to make up my mind until I give all of these a listen.
Planning to do just that tomorrow. Only thing I'm not sure about is whether Morel's are available with my dealer.

Oh and I definitely wanna put a muffler tip on the car. Would love to see some pics with it so that I can get a few pointers from your car(which is most likely the best looking beat in the forum)
As your dealer has JL audio 6 x 9's (TR series) stock, I will recommend you to go for it and regarding the front 4" speakers, listen to all available options and decide.

Make sure that the rear parcel tray is made of MDF.
I purchased the parcel tray from the dealer(Rs. 950) and it was made of cheap plywood and was rattling from the very first day
After number of visits to installers for better tray/fiber or box options, I decided to get a custom tray made from Multiwood(weightless).

Got the Tray on Friday, installed rubber beeding all around the tray to make it rattle proof and air tight and got it covered.
Attached Thumbnails
Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS-img_0354.jpg  

Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS-img_0359.jpg  

Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS-img_0363.jpg  

Old 17th October 2011, 14:44   #78
BHPian

Brillianto! Loved the alloys man. Killer! So how much fuel is it sipping now (In city and on highways)? If it's above 18...I'm on my way to the showroom!
Old 19th October 2011, 15:42   #79
BHPian

Quote:
As your dealer has JL audio 6 x 9's (TR series) stock, I will recommend you to go for it and regarding the front 4" speakers, listen to all available options and decide.

Make sure that the rear parcel tray is made of MDF.
I purchased the parcel tray from the dealer(Rs. 950) and it was made of cheap plywood and was rattling from the very first day
After number of visits to installers for better tray/fiber or box options, I decided to get a custom tray made from Multiwood(weightless).

Got the Tray on Friday, installed rubber beeding all around the tray to make it rattle proof and air tight and got it covered.
Yes I will be going in for an MDF tray. I wonder why your dealer would suggest plywood.
I'm now planning to (not yet decided) for Boston Acoustics 4" comps(PRO series). They are very pricey as compared to... well the rest of the 4" speakers. I'm just not sure if they are worth it, although my dealer speaks very highly of these. If I invest in these speakers, then I would have to downgrade from JL's to RF's 6x9's.
Old 22nd October 2011, 21:48   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Brillianto! Loved the alloys man. Killer! So how much fuel is it sipping now (In city and on highways)? If it's above 18...I'm on my way to the showroom!
Thanks mate, I am getting 16-17 in city and 20-21 on Highways and think it will improve (now it's just 2500 on the odo)

Quote:
Yes I will be going in for an MDF tray. I wonder why your dealer would suggest plywood.
I'm now planning to (not yet decided) for Boston Acoustics 4" comps(PRO series). They are very pricey as compared to... well the rest of the 4" speakers. I'm just not sure if they are worth it, although my dealer speaks very highly of these. If I invest in these speakers, then I would have to downgrade from JL's to RF's 6x9's.
The dealer installed the tray, telling that its High Quality and I didn't check it during the delivery, only during the speaker installation I noticed its plywood. "Boston Acoustics 4" comps(PRO series)", please update the performance after audition.
Old 23rd October 2011, 00:36   #81
Senior - BHPian

Looks great! Like the carbon fibre looks.

BTW seems like chevy is providing the steering wheel logo on all trims now? For the petrol it used to come only on the LT Option pack.
Old 23rd October 2011, 08:59   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks mate, I am getting 16-17 in city and 20-21 on Highways and think it will improve (now it's just 2500 on the odo)

The dealer installed the tray, telling that its High Quality and I didn't check it during the delivery, only during the speaker installation I noticed its plywood. "Boston Acoustics 4" comps(PRO series)", please update the performance after audition.
Didn't get the Bostons; changed my mind in the last minute and got the Rockfords installed instead. Somehow, spending 21k for 4" comps didn't seem like it would be worth it to me. (of course he would've given a good discount on that) but still... Thought about it for quite a while and decided to just go with the RF's and I am very impressed considering that they're only 4" speakers. Now with the money I've saved from the Bostons, I can even think about putting in an amp(want a 5 channel amp , but they're way too pricey.. A 4 channel should suffice) and a sub. According to me this was a better idea even though owning a pair of Bostons(PRO) would've given me a different sense of pride.
Old 24th October 2011, 19:20   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Didn't get the Bostons; changed my mind in the last minute and got the Rockfords installed instead. Somehow, spending 21k for 4" comps didn't seem like it would be worth it to me. (of course he would've given a good discount on that) but still... Thought about it for quite a while and decided to just go with the RF's and I am very impressed considering that they're only 4" speakers. Now with the money I've saved from the Bostons, I can even think about putting in an amp(want a 5 channel amp , but they're way too pricey.. A 4 channel should suffice) and a sub. According to me this was a better idea even though owning a pair of Bostons(PRO) would've given me a different sense of pride.
21k for 4" comp is too high mate. I had done some research for 4" comp and DLS high end comp is available overseas for 10k, but decided to go on with 6" components to save future upgrades.
Old 26th October 2011, 20:05   #84
BHPian

Some random photos, pls note the debranded rear and muffler tip.
Attached Thumbnails
Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS-skidst1.jpg  

Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS-skidst2.jpg  

Old 19th November 2011, 11:21   #85
BHPian

Got 6" morel Maximos installed and trust me guys the difference is huge!
Had upgraded two weeks before but was busy and too lazy to update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Thanks sabin, the photos helped a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS-lh-dr-closed.jpg  

Skids With Diesel Energy: Chevrolet Beat LS-rh-cover.jpg  

Old 19th November 2011, 22:54   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Auto freak.
Actually I never liked the roof rails, even for the LT, Somehow I feels it doesn't go on with the cars looks.
I wanted the spoiler very badly and had inquired with the dealer for OE spoiler and only Dual spoiler(inl model) was available as an accessory. The price quoted was Rs.13500(with painting).
After some further research and contacts, they agreed to provide OE spoiler(accessory dept had one in stock, customer replaced with double spoiler). But they Quoted Rs.7500 (with painting).

So I dropped the plans for OE spoiler and this one was only Rs.3400 (with Dual color painting)
Oh man, what a mod, simple yet very very powerful. I also have an LS model and wanted to do the same mod that you had done, but yet to do it since I was also quoted the same amount by dealer. The other thing I wanted to do was front fog lamps which also they quoted somewhere around 9000 I guess, so I dropped that too. After seeing your mod, I feel I can also do it, but how did you get that spoiler so cheap? Any reasons for not removing the OE spoilers?

How much did the parcel tray cost you? I have one in mine, which has problems from day 1, hope you do not have issues while closing the boot which I have. I know bass fx rear parcel tray is a perfect fit, but they have kept me waiting for nearly an year now, so got fed up with that product and stopped enquiring about it.
Old 21st November 2011, 11:38   #87
BHPian

Quote:
I brought Beat Diesel LS (white) on 5th september. A diesel hatch was the only choice after selling my Zen D last month as City ZX was not for daily use, considering the petrol price.

Selection Process

Although I was attracted towards Beat since it was launched, I always had a doubt that it was a bit too modern. But once I started considering the car for a purchase, I liked the sharp curves and modern looks.

As I was not ready to wait for long, I had to eliminate Swift D and the Ritz had never appealed me. Considering the price range, the actual competitor for beat was the Figo, but the Figo’s design was too old for me though my Father liked it.

Choosing B/W LS and LT

I had booked LT and downgraded to LS sine I was offered a LS white within 4 days of booking as the customer had switched to RED. Another reason was, I wanted a better Ice Setup and didn’t like the OE head unit and paper cone speakers.

Delivery

As promised by the dealer the car was delivered on 5th September.
The extra accessories brought from the dealer were:

3M under body coat - Rs 3500(good with 5 years warranty)
Floor mat - Rs 700 (Fabric mat- unnessary, will have use other mat on top)
Boot Mat - Rs 300 (Not Bad)
Roof Antenna - Rs 700(Absolute necessary)
Rear prcel tray for speakers- Rs 950(It is robbery, ICE guys told me that they have better trays made from multiwood for that pice)

Upgradation

Alloys
I had fixed the alloy model before the car delivery, so the selection was pretty easy.

Alloys - Platti 14”
Price - 14000 with fitting balancing and alignment
Model - PY416
Tyres - Stock Goodyear 165/65/14

ICE

HU - Pioneer AVH 2390
Front - Bull Audio 4”
Rear - JL audio 6*9 TR

800 kms Ownership review.

Looks

The alloy upgrade had changed the entire stance of the car, the car started looking better day by day.
The muscular front is very attractive. But the rear needs a dual spoiler for the complete look.
The front quarter view from the sides look ugly, I did not like the popping out head lights.

Ride and Engine

The car has a peppy dive and feels very stable on speeds upto 80, I haven’t gone above that.
80@ 2000 rpm in 5th gear, at 2500 rpm the engine sound is pretty audible.
First I didn’t like the engine sound (Low 3 cylinder clatter) as it was different from what we had heard earlier. But now it is ok as we don’t notice it.
The engine is pretty much silent compared to other diesel Hatches and sedans, yet to compare it head on with Ritz.
The turning radius is good and you can easily take it through ant small roads.
Road visibility is very less and I almost on a big stone as I has forgotten that I had parked infront of a stone.
With 4 people and A/c on I could feel some lag, as I didn’t get sudden response to acceleration, will confirm it later as I forgot to notice the rpm when I felt the lag. Shift the gears above 2000 rpm range, the car is responsive and we could feel the low end torque.

Comfort
The gas shocks are very comfy and we won’t notice or feel small bad patches of roads in between. But big potholes and long stretch of bad roads will shake the car like boat as the suspension is soft.
Rear seats lacks cushioning and long rides needs better seat. Front seat are good and very comfortable.
I was not able to find the comfortable riding position until I raised the driver seat height 25mm using custom spaces and this has also increased the road view.

General review

The car climbed hills with 3 people on board in third gear during my trip to Athirapally(Hill Station in Kochi), that was pretty decent performance.
The interiors feels up market and premium.
Good ride, handling and chilling ac(The cooling is instant even without sun film).
Smooth gear shift.
Easy to park and ride through small roads.

Dislikes
A round gear knob should have been better to hold.
The placement of power window switches is hard to operate while driving.
Height adjustable drivers seats is necessary.
Still didn’t got used to the small steering wheel.

Got an Average Fuel Efficiency of 20km(Approximate calculation), will update the exact figure after first service 1000kms.

Congrats mate.. but wonder why all mallu guys put the same plati rims no matter which car...
Old 21st November 2011, 11:39   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Got 6" morel Maximos installed and trust me guys the difference is huge!
Had upgraded two weeks before but was busy and too lazy to update.

Thanks sabin, the photos helped a lot.
i need those on my beat too
Old 24th November 2011, 09:01   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
After seeing your mod, I feel I can also do it, but how did you get that spoiler so cheap? Any reasons for not removing the OE spoilers?

How much did the parcel tray cost you? I have one in mine, which has problems from day 1, hope you do not have issues while closing the boot which I have. I know bass fx rear parcel tray is a perfect fit, but they have kept me waiting for nearly an year now, so got fed up with that product and stopped enquiring about it.
Hi, I have removed the Spoiler and now waiting for Double spoiler(one seen in concept). I will update on this as soon as the spoiler is in place.

The parcel tray is custom made and it didn't cost much but took weeks, for the carpenters to be free. Even I had rattling issues with the parcel tray I brought from Dealership from Day1. Now there are no issues and the door closes fine as I had taken measurements.I have never heard about bass fx parcel tray though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkeron View Post
Congrats mate.. but wonder why all mallu guys put the same plati rims no matter which car...
Thanks and the rims are becoming very common, even two of my friends(for different makes) went for the same after seeing mine.
Old 20th January 2012, 09:57   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Daytime running lights are on the way, Opted for a round one for the stock fog lamp location.
Quote:
Thanks mate and I too was thinking about a good chrome frame for the DRLs for proper fit. But as DE has not sourced the item yet, I don't think I will have the patience to wait that long.
Hey bipin,

Have you installed DRLs , are those DRLs in the pics from Cochin meet thread

Can you put some installation pics or present pics?

I'm also thinking about going fro circular DRLs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks