Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 18:38   #91
BHPian

re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
But those are the conditions where DSC should act and get the car in control.

what BMW claims is different
BMW 3 Series Sedan : Dynamic Stability Control

Experianced vikrams ford mondeo in chennai tracks, turning at 100kmph is childs play with ESP ON.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.. but here's my experience with DSC. It didn't help much on my 330CI ZHP. My tires were a bit bald on a wet freeway (in California). The rear end suddenly stepped out and hurtled the car towards the freeway wall (hydroplaned is my best guess). Was a surreal experience to see the wall approaching me at a speed which can't be mentioned . No amount of corrective steering helped. My bimmer wanted to kiss the wall, and she was not going to be stopped.

Luckily I had the presence of mind to not over correct the car and inadvertently skid onto the next lane. I managed to slow down the car gradually braking (with help from the DSC), positioned the front left end to bounce off the wall and hoped for the best.

BAM! Hit my left front bumper. The car bounced off the wall, back into the freeway lane. Would have been a pile up if I had stopped in the middle of the fast lane. So, i gave the car gas and continued along. Can't imagine what the driver behind me was going through seeing all this.

Damage - Front bumper, hood, fan, left light assembly and front-left panel had to be replaced. I'm thankful I was able to get out of it unhurt. The car just shrugged off the damage and continued along. These cars are built like tanks! Longest 10 secs of my life .

Moral of the story..do not drive in the rain with tires due for replacement.

Last edited by silverblue : 13th October 2011 at 19:06.
Old 13th October 2011, 23:56   #92
BHPian

re: Diesel Power - My BMW 320D Exclusive - BMW Performance Power Kit Installed - Pg. 23

I booked my 320d Dynamic today. Taking delivery on 24th! Can't wait to get in it and go on a long drive
Old 14th October 2011, 01:28   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsherlock View Post
I booked my 320d Dynamic today. Taking delivery on 24th! Can't wait to get in it and go on a long drive
Congratulations, welcome to the club. Any particular reason you didn't just go all out and get the Exclusive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblue View Post

Damage - Front bumper, hood, fan, left light assembly and front-left panel had to be replaced. I'm thankful I was able to get out of it unhurt. The car just shrugged off the damage and continued along. These cars are built like tanks! Longest 10 secs of my life .

Moral of the story..do not drive in the rain with tires due for replacement.
Definitely to do with aquaplaning, and not a fault of the DSC.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 10:47   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Definitely to do with aquaplaning, and not a fault of the DSC.
Agreed, DSC will not help during aquaplaning. Granted, it will cut the engine on detecting a skid.
Old 14th October 2011, 18:35   #95
Team-BHP Support

The car is now at 700kms. I'm just counting down the days till I can take it on a proper drive Are there any other questions, or pictures I can take for you guys?

Another thing I've noticed is that like my Accord, many wannabes keep trying to race with me. I mean if I'm enjoying my drive, accelerating a bit here and there I see people flashing lights, honking and sticking to my behind trying to race. If only the car was run in I could have taught them a thing or two. lol

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 14th October 2011 at 18:39.
Old 14th October 2011, 18:37   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations, welcome to the club. Any particular reason you didn't just go all out and get the Exclusive?
Home minister who also handles the Finance ministry portfolio did not approve upgrade to Edition Exclusive

On a side note, I have been to BMW, Audi and Mercedes showrooms in Pune and test drove C class, A4, 3 series as well as X1. As far as my experience with the personnel at these dealerships is concerned, I have been quite impressed by the people at BMW and Audi dealerships by their willingness to earn my business. Merc was a different story. I am sure that is one of the factors that is helping BMW take the lead over Mercedes in terms of sales. Obviously the deciding factor for me was the car itself but thought of mentioning it here.
Old 14th October 2011, 18:55   #97
BHPian

Congratulations on the new car Akshay! I love the color of your seats, two thumbs up!

I have always wondered about this - what do you do if you're really far from a BMW workshop and you have a bad puncture or the side wall tears? You only have four tires. This would limit where you can take this car. This friend of mine wore his RFT's out and switched to regular tubeless and he said his ride improved greatly! AND he started carrying a spare in the boot. Safe, but inconvenient. This has been my one and only gripe about BMW's.
Old 14th October 2011, 19:07   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Home minister who also handles the Finance ministry portfolio did not approve upgrade to Edition Exclusive
Can I ask you to reconsider? I mean when you think about it, the dynamic is neither here nor there. It has iDrive and memory seats. But its still not the full iDrive. For maybe 3-4l more you can get the exclusive which has the full iDrive, dakota leather, sunroof, xenons, sweet rims, 2 more speakers, the little lights all over. It is a reasonable amount of money, but if you are already buying the dynamic why not just get a fully loaded one?
Old 14th October 2011, 20:44   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Can I ask you to reconsider? I mean when you think about it, the dynamic is neither here nor there. It has iDrive and memory seats. But its still not the full iDrive. For maybe 3-4l more you can get the exclusive which has the full iDrive, dakota leather, sunroof, xenons, sweet rims, 2 more speakers, the little lights all over. It is a reasonable amount of money, but if you are already buying the dynamic why not just get a fully loaded one?
how much is the price difference between exclusive and dynamic?
Old 14th October 2011, 21:08   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsandeep View Post
how much is the price difference between exclusive and dynamic?
The difference in price is about 4 lacs.
mrsherlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2011, 10:54   #101
Team-BHP Support

Took the car for another 80 kms drive, and by the time I was back I was completely bowled over. The car is quick! I mean I did end up pressing full throttle a few times and the car is quite silent and picks up speed fast. At the beginning of a corner I was doing about 110 while accelerating, after going through it I was doing 140 and didn't even realise. It is probably going to give the Accord a tough fight in the acceleration department. At some idiotic speeds the cabin is totally silent, no engine noise, zero wind noise.

And the handling, oh boy. It just makes you push it more and more. And doesn't give up. This car just shrinks around you even more when your driving fast and coupled with the good visibility makes it easy to drive fast. Also the brakes have some serious stopping power and good feel, you can easily predict how much force to put in to stop where you want to.

The ride too, improves by leaps and bounds above 80kmph. The smaller bumps which would unsettle the car at lower speeds now have no effect on it. Yes there is some suspension and tyre noise with these bumps but quite muffled.

Oh yes, and I also did another partial drift yesterday. My friends were quite impressed. Looks like I might have to use Secure before I thought

This may sound a big exaggerated, but what to do? Its our first Bimmer.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 15th October 2011 at 11:13.
Old 15th October 2011, 14:04   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another thing I've noticed is that like my Accord, many wannabes keep trying to race with me. I mean if I'm enjoying my drive, accelerating a bit here and there I see people flashing lights, honking and sticking to my behind trying to race. If only the car was run in I could have taught them a thing or two. lol

Though you might already know by now i thought i should still just warn you anyways. I know EXACTLY the kind of people you are referring to.
The idiots get a high just sticking to some German's backside i suppose. Rather than pushing it its best to just let them pass or keep slowing down till the idiots get frustrated and go past.
Loosing them in bombay traffic isnt an option. No matter how powerful the car is they will catch up and some junction or the other thanks to Autos/taxis. Most dangerous part is, someone pops up out of the blue and our cars brake in time but those wannabes can be well expected to just ram from behind.
Iv fallen prey to the temptation of teaching them a lesson or 2 when my car was newer but its just not worth risking it . Most often than not their cars are some weird green or purple modded Esteems/Zens or alike ! worth 2 cents ...QUITE LITERALLY !
The only time i enjoyed 'surprising' a guy trying to play around was a 530d on the sealink

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 15th October 2011 at 14:08.
Old 15th October 2011, 23:11   #103
BHPian

Akshay,

Does the manual give any specific running in instructions in terms of max speed/max rpm? Is there any one/two/three month checkup recommended by bmw or is the first time you take it to service center after 1 year/12000 km?
Old 15th October 2011, 23:23   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascari View Post
@santhosh ...insurance covered it partly but then it's still a pain knowing it could happen in the middle of nowhere.My dad is skeptical taking it down a rough road.These are sensitive cars and as long as you keep to city runs and expressway's there are no problems,you cant take this car on country road's-Bangalore-Mangalore for example.More than the capability of the car it is the sheer knowledge on the back of your mind that you could suffer a tyre failure that tugs you back.
Was it because of the tread wear, that insurance did not cover the full cost of the Run flat replacement?

The space saver spare ( comes with a jack and a cover, gloves etc..) could be a solution. I carry one - it limits the boot space available some what but buys you peace of mind on long journeys.

As for run flats being more to puncture , I am not sure that is quite correct. When you drive spiritedly, the confidence run flats give you is worth the price of harsh rides for me...
Old 16th October 2011, 03:19   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Akshay,

Does the manual give any specific running in instructions in terms of max speed/max rpm? Is there any one/two/three month checkup recommended by bmw or is the first time you take it to service center after 1 year/12000 km?
It says don't go above 3k rpm and 150kmph for 1500kms. Something which I have not followed at all

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks