Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2011, 19:30   #76
BHPian

Re: Look ma I got my Vento Highline TDi - Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thanks for the update Prabhu. How much tyre pressure you maintained for the trip?

From the pics, it looks like the black Vento managed a bit of animal attraction
Hi vb-san,
I tried with 34 as the roads are pretty bad inside chennai. Forgot to set it to 32 today morning as I did another Bangalore Chennai trip. But it proved useful in the pathetic roads inside Kolar. Will try 32 going back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Nice pictures, glad to know you are enjoying your car.

Actually the overhead roof insulation is pretty poor in the vento which makes you hear the noise of rain drops falling on the roof more than other cars. Maruti's are actually worse in this regards and hence you feel it isnt too much. I can relate to what you say, since I was used to a swift earlier!

Agree with you on the HL part and I share the same feedback. Highbeams+fogs are adequate on the highways. But the 90/100's are in a different league altogether and is recommended if you do a lot of night driving in the highways.
Thank you Bala. Will try changing maybe after few months as I do not foresee much night driving in near future. Are you located somewhere near Velachery? My in laws place is near Vijaynagar bus stand. We should meet sometime.
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2011, 21:44   #77
Senior - BHPian

I'm very much in velachery, very nearby to vijayanagar. Next time you are here just drop me a note and we can definitely catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post

Are you located somewhere near Velachery? My in laws place is near Vijaynagar bus stand. We should meet sometime.
Old 11th November 2011, 12:46   #78
BHPian

Look ma I got my Vento Highline TDi - Black-imag0592.jpg
Thanks to another BLR-CHE-BLR trip the car has crossed 2000 kms. Wait. Its at 2400 now

*Its more than a month since I got the car. And lovely coincidence crossed 2K mark on the 1st month anniversary.
*Average mileage in the city during peak hours - 14.5 to 15 kmpl with full AC
*Highway mileage is 21 to 22.4 KMPL.
*Clutch is not hard anymore or rather I have gotten used to it.
*Objects in the side view mirrors are far closer than they appear.
*My wife and her parents came along with me from Chennai this time. She is 7 months pregnant and found the journey extremely comfortable and pleasant.
*Got the Jopasu duster from Reliance autozone for 450 Rs. Very good one.

Time for a photoshoot. If @nileshch is free, should go to the grasslands in Hesaraghatta.
Old 11th November 2011, 18:40   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Attachment 840810
Thanks to another BLR-CHE-BLR trip the car has crossed 2000 kms. Wait. Its at 2400 now
2400 kms in 1 month! Not bad

One suggestion. I feel you should remove those plastic coating from the console.
Old 11th November 2011, 19:02   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
2400 kms in 1 month! Not bad

One suggestion. I feel you should remove those plastic coating from the console.
Thank you. I need to remove the plastic coating from everywhere including the seats

Will do this weekend when the interiors are cleaned.
Old 11th November 2011, 19:04   #81
Senior - BHPian

My comments inline in bold.

Quote:
*Average mileage in the city during peak hours - 14.5 to 15 kmpl with full AC - Absolutely terrific. Mine is around 13
*Clutch is not hard anymore or rather I have gotten used to it. - I still feel the hardness of the clutch in B2B traffic. Its annoying, otherwise its just fine.
*Objects in the side view mirrors are far closer than they appear. - Thats the way it should be and the mirrors says so too
*My wife and her parents came along with me from Chennai this time. She is 7 months pregnant and found the journey extremely comfortable and pleasant. - Wow, congratulations and wishing you all the very best.
*Got the Jopasu duster from Reliance autozone for 450 Rs. Very good one. - Its worth every single rupee that you paid. A must have, especially for a dark colour
Count me in, it looks horrible, throw it away in the thrash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Old 12th November 2011, 20:12   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome! that's the way to go. The car makes you want to go on long drives every weekend! You know what? I am nearing 10k now!

Quote:
*My wife and her parents came along with me from Chennai this time. She is 7 months pregnant and found the journey extremely comfortable and pleasant.
Wow, congratulations!

Quote:
Time for a photoshoot. If @nileshch is free, should go to the grasslands in Hesaraghatta.
I am game! Let's fix up one of these weekends!
Old 12th November 2011, 23:52   #83
Senior - BHPian

Hey Prabhu ,
2.5 k kms so soon , good to see you enjoying your long drives ! You must be getting bored of the Blr-Chn road sceneries , time for you to chage direction and head towards Mumbai
Did you get your tints ?
Oh just to re-iterate , please remove those horrible plastics
Old 14th November 2011, 12:20   #84
BHPian

Thanks for the wishes guys. I removed that plastic cover with a vengeance yesterday

I forgot to update that I got 3M tints with CS, forgot the exact sequence no.

After looking at souravc's thread, very tempted to go for the Yoko C drives. Lets see. Also after various permutations and combinations decided to set the MID stalk to display the outside temperature. Don't want to look at average speed or fuel consumption every day and get distracted from the driving pleasure.
Old 14th November 2011, 12:52   #85
BHPian

Quote:
So regarding break-in of new engine - after how many km's did you take her for a highway spin. I have read that its safe to avoid highway drives until after you hit the 2K mark in the ODO. So would appreciate information how fellow Vento owners did their engine break-in.
Old 14th November 2011, 12:56   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
So regarding break-in of new engine - after how many km's did you take her for a highway spin. I have read that its safe to avoid highway drives until after you hit the 2K mark in the ODO. So would appreciate information how fellow Vento owners did their engine break-in.
I took the car after 600 kms itself. Also set the speed limit warning to 100. Only thing you need to ensure is not stay in same RPM for a longer period of time in same gear. Though its a highly debated topic, that's what most people recommend. Another thing to ensure is that RPM does not cross 2.5K. Thanks to Vento's in gear acceleration and the morons coming in wrong direction at highway, frequent toll booth stops the car engine had variety even on the highways
Old 14th November 2011, 13:10   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
IMO, the only reason highway drives are not recommended because one generally feels the need to race the car. Went through the run-in article and close to 20+ pages of the thread on TBHP, nowhere did I get the idea that highways should be avoided.

For the record, my car's first 600kms were entirely on the Pune-Mumbai expressway. I strictly kept the speeds below 85-90kmph. Have faced no issues after that.

As Prabhu has nicely put it, even our highways are such that the cars are exposed to all speeds. So don't worry, just keep the RPM below 2.5k (that even covers speeds over 120 in the Vento, so maintain the speed limit too ) and you should have the perfect run-in period.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:39   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
IMO, the only reason highway drives are not recommended because one generally feels the need to race the car. Went through the run-in article and close to 20+ pages of the thread on TBHP, nowhere did I get the idea that highways should be avoided.
From what i read:
The primary reason why highway runs need to be avoided is that at constant speeds the piston rings do no seal all way around the bore properly. Until this happens (guess 1000 odd miles) its generally not recommended to do either an highway or bumper to bumper runs. Like Prabhu mentioned we need varying RPM's and the engine should not be in constant rpm. As regard to varying RPM itself the debate seems to be about the soft run-in (manufacturer recommended - run-in's are supposed to be under prescribed RPM's) versus the hard run-in (recommended by some auto gurus - taking the engine to higher RPM's).

Am definitely no expert, But as rightly mentioned by both you and Prabhu our highways or no angel and an highway run with varying RPM's might indeed do the trick.

EDIT - Does the Vento manual prescribe anything ?

Last edited by SR-71 : 15th November 2011 at 10:48.
Old 13th December 2011, 21:43   #89
Senior - BHPian

Hey Prabhu , haven't seen any update from your end for quite a while ! Hows your Vento doing and how many kms on the odo ?
cheers
souravc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 11:09   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Hey Prabhu , haven't seen any update from your end for quite a while ! Hows your Vento doing and how many kms on the odo ?
cheers
Hey sourav,

Thank you for checking. I am doing good. Occupied with too much work due to year end and all that.

Coming to updates
*3500 kms on the odo now
*Clutch is not that hard any more, or I have gotten used to it
*Diesel clatter is there only after cold start. After 10 minutes, I turn off the engine at the first red light and restart the car. Very very negligible sound after that
*Mileage in city is around 13 in peak hour traffic and around 15 in normal traffic and 17 in very light traffic
*Been observing all your threads on the tyre upgrade. Now after Bala's experience wondering what to do. Should take a decision soon
*Tyre pressure is 32 and ride is comfortable
*I do hear the thuds whilst going over bad stretches, but thanks to my pregnant wife I literally crawl over bad roads and have not faced any inconveniences or rattles. Touch wood!
*Since monsoon is bit far away, have not got the mud flaps yet!
*Car is getting smoother day by day and I don't find even bangalore peak traffic that cumbersome with the ECU taking control at 900 RPM
*There is an empty stretch for me from Ganga Nagar junction all the way till Kodigehalli gate on NH7 and I let the car loose every day. SR-71, if you are reading this, try driving here sometime to experience the turbo/push back effect.
*First scratch happened few weeks back when a two wheeler moron tried to horizontally squeeze in between my car and the car before. A small scratch below the right fog lamp. Silly guys. Cant do much about it.
*VW guys from downtown followed up twice if car is performing good and when am coming for enabling autolock etc. Need to get that done.
* I am planning to get the door sills as it gets quite dirty soon. Just saw this on eBay. Not sure if it is worth it. Any suggestions? Has anyone of you gone for door sills?

Car Door Sill Scuff Plate for VW Vento With Blue LED | eBay
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks