Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2011, 19:32   #136
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Eon: Quick First drive and impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I hope I dont see an another "matiz" in the making. Those who remember the matiz story will understand what I am talking about.
A very capable car priced out of competition
Old 19th October 2011, 19:41   #137
Senior - BHPian

Had a quick look at the Eon in Noida a few days back.

The low end response is no where as good as the Santro. The space at the back is at a premium. The overall performance of the car is NOT better than Alto k10, but definitly better than the Alto 0.8.

At 3.8ish on road UP (Magna), i would rather buy a higher end car like new WR or i10 IRDE which have discounts going on in mid-variants.

This car can only sell well if its priced close to 3.5 L onroad for the Magna variant.
Old 19th October 2011, 21:31   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
Why should they give discounts instead of dropping the prices. Once they drop the prices, the effective tax and the insurance also reduces which benefits again. Similarly, one need not go an bargain with the sales executive and its easier for decision making for a customer once the pricing is done properly.
That's a different topic for discussion altogether, the point is when customer goes for buying a car, it does not matter for him in what way the final cost is getting reduced, be it discount, cash voucher or the original price.

The original post was trying to compare and conclude that price difference of equiv models of Alto and Eon is 20K, but in reality it is near 40 K.

-Sanjubaba
Old 20th October 2011, 16:47   #139
BHPian

Got to see the Eon today. Sat in it for a few minutes (Not having any plans of buying one).
Got into the rear first, and was surprised and happy with the compactness, and the room.
Then tried the passenger seat in the front. I got hit on my head while getting IN as well as getting out (I am only 5' 8'').
I guess the swooping A-pillar is the culprit, and getting used to it is a tad too difficult. I had to learn a new way to get in. Bend down, put my head in, then then drop onto the seats . [Suddenly I felt like I was a giraffe]

Then coming to the driver seat, the seats are comfy, neither too high nor too low, and has a snug fit. But, the space is really cramped. My left elbow was touching the passenger seat. Two 40'' T shirts will always touch if they are seated in the front row.

Apart from these two aspects, this car for sure is miles ahead of the Alto/K10 in terms of finish and feel.

But, for me, its a tough call to squeeze even a small Indian family. (The alto somehow has a slightly better room in the front, and far easier to get in and get out of. It also comes a clean 80K cheaper than the Eon)

At 4.2 on road for a Eon (with power windows), I would suggest someone to stretch a bit further by another 80K and you will have a far roomier world.
Old 20th October 2011, 20:52   #140
BHPian

Got to see an Eon on the road today while i was riding back from office and i must say it looked brilliant in profile than in the pictures! The tail lamps actually blend in well and give the rear a unique and a handsome stance.One of the best side profiles i've seen on any car of late!!!However i found the headlamps to be unnecessarily huge.A bit of toning down would've helped.Nevertheless,Hyundai's signature treatment at the front (a.k.a Verna and i10) makes it a handsome looker.
Peeped inside to have a look at the interiors and they looked good too.The dash looked like a miniature version of the Verna's which is good.Found it to be sufficiently spacious though i might've to actually sit inside to confirm it.
All in all looks to be a "perfect" hatch at that money.
Whether it'll work???Only time'll tell!!!
Old 20th October 2011, 21:20   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

A much anticipated car and a much sought after TD,went for it today.Drove it over the best potholed roads of my city and it came out quite well.Its a very capable car for a city having atrocious traffic like mine.The rear seat can squeeze in 3 people if required,albeit for a short distance only.Brakes felt very nice.I drove a Magna(O) and i could not find the gearshift lever vibrating or anything of the sorts that has been noticed by the people here(Car had done 678kms).The audio system was nice,AC was good.Overall,a very nice car.Now the worse part is the service here at the HASS and worst part is the price. People are actually moving towards i10.The dealer here has sold only 3 vehicles and bookings are also not that great so i feel that discounts will be offered quite sooner than thought.Hyundai should have learnt from Mahindra how to outsell there product.The Magna(O) costs 3,80,000 on road.So it makes me think,why not go in for a WagonR having a better service center and powerful engine.So many plus points for WagonR now.If there are not enough reasons on price front within next 3 months,i guess i'll have to amend my signature.
Old 20th October 2011, 22:17   #142
BHPian

Haven't read many "Mrs. opinions" on this thread !! I guess the Ladies opinion is a bit different from ours .. they seem to be more impressed with a fresh looking car. 3 common points that I heard from 2 ladies:
1) It's cute and different; I liked the RED color !!
2) It feels bigger than Maruti
3) Interiors are really nice.

I guess Eon could get some respectable sales figures just from it's Lady admirers !!

Last edited by junkishya : 20th October 2011 at 22:19.
Old 21st October 2011, 12:48   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
For a first time car buyer, its perfect but I hope I dont see an another "matiz" in the making. Those who remember the matiz story will understand what I am talking about.
Matiz was launched at a time when sub 1 litre engine was the norm for a small city car. Those were the days when a Maruti "1000" was a big engine. In its day Matiz was a premium car with a price tag that would be more than 6 lakhs today, if the price gets corrected for inflation. The right car to be called as the Matiz of today, is with the Honda JAZZ.

Though both Matiz and Eon have a similar 800c engine, times have changed and you get 1200cc engined cars today for the price of an Maruti 800( inflation corrected).

Last edited by Daewood : 21st October 2011 at 12:56.
Old 22nd October 2011, 18:44   #144
Senior - BHPian

For the price, Hyundai has has done a remarkable job, although the front bumper looks as if it was made for a bigger size car. Can't complain though, the Eon will be a sure shot winner in its category!
Old 22nd October 2011, 23:44   #145
BHPian

Took a test drive of this car today in Bangalore Hosur Road showroom .
To be honest , the design is really head turning . The interior dash is generations ahead of Marutis .

That's it . If you are looking for a car which is fun to drive , never even go near this car .
Gear shift is very notchy
Gear lever vibrates while driving the car .
Surprisingly high body roll for a car of this size .
Breaks fail to offer any confidence for high speed driving .
The engine noise easily reaches the cabin and its high enough to irritate you .

Come to the interior , the leg room at the rear is really low .
Its just wide enough to have 2 adults . 3rd person would literally cry for space . Really disappointed .

Boot space is really good , but then a bit of compromise at it would have made the souls sitting at the rear seat comfortable .

To me , I would definitely buy an Alto K10 given a choice .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
For the price, Hyundai has has done a remarkable job, although the front bumper looks as if it was made for a bigger size car. Can't complain though, the Eon will be a sure shot winner in its category!
Remarkable job at the vehicle design ( aesthetic ) . The car of choice for a person who just cares about the design .

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkishya View Post
Haven't read many "Mrs. opinions" on this thread !! I guess the Ladies opinion is a bit different from ours .. they seem to be more impressed with a fresh looking car. 3 common points that I heard from 2 ladies:
1) It's cute and different; I liked the RED color !!
2) It feels bigger than Maruti
3) Interiors are really nice.

I guess Eon could get some respectable sales figures just from it's Lady admirers !!
No offence to those lady drivers who really enjoy driving or give importance to the way the vehicle respond when you drive it , but if you fall in a category of those would like to only show - off , irrespective of male or female then you would buy it .

Eon test drive today reminds me of the proverb
' All that glitters is not gold '

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks