Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2011, 14:55   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Eon: Quick First drive and impressions

I may be OT, but to me the Estilo is a better proposition than the EON. It may not be that fluidic, but serves the purpose and is more or less similarly priced.
Old 15th October 2011, 17:30   #107
Senior - BHPian

Went to Advaith Hyundai, Bannerghatta road this noon for some work with my i20. Two EONs were on display (D-Lite and Magna variants). I was having a look at it when a friendly sales representative came forward and offered me a TD. I immediately agreed and waited for around 10 mins for the TD car to arrive.

It was a white Magna model with graphics on it. The reading on the ODO was 107 km. There was some vibration and noise when I cranked the engine but later it was silent throughout the drive. The AC and OEM music system performance was pretty decent. The quality of interiors is the highlight. The gear shift indicator always suggested an up-shift for my style of driving. Was able to traverse two unscientific speed brakers without scraping the bottom in second gear. The gear shift was not as smooth as i10.

A gentleman who owns an ALTO was with me for the TD. I asked his experience after the TD. He felt that EON is slightly more powerful than ALTO and also said that EON has an edge over the ALTO in the interior space and quality of interiors.

The only negative point I noticed was that the gear lever was shaking violently throughout the drive. Has anyone else experienced this while test driving this car?
Old 15th October 2011, 18:21   #108
BHPian

I went for a TD today with my folks. Very impressed with the Trident Hyundai sales guys near Cauvery theatre (B'lore).

4 of us had gone to see the car. So, the TD had 5 people sitting in the car! Rear seat is uncomfortable for the 3rd person. However, no complains about legroom. And the boot space is very good for such a small looking car!

Overall build quality is great. The doors don't rattle on closing. AC Knobs and buttons are also ok. The plastics, though feel plasticy, is much better than the alto k10.

The car is quite peppy with one or max two people. After that I think there will be some lag. But, the engine is fully pushed with 5 people inside. Once the engine is revved (i guess to about 3000rpm), the car goes decently. The engine does make some sound. There is some vibration on the gear lever as well! Gearshifts are not as smooth as the Santro. The steering is very very light! Almost no feedback even at moderate speeds.

The only bad thing about the engine is that it hunts with AC on (creeping in 1st gear). The last stretch of the TD was the main road which leads to cauvery theater. it was jam packed. So, I was in 1st gear and the moment I eased the clutch, the car started jerking very very noticeably (Even my mom complained, thinking I was playing with the acc pedal!). Switch off the AC and the jerk goes off. Can't say how many more such "issues" could exist, since its a new car. The refinement is still not there. Guess they will take care of it in the first few months after release.

I guess, its an OK car to start driving. However, I don't know about the maintenance cost. The Hyundai After Sales Service is a real pain in terms of labour costs! Atrocious most of the times.

The EON Magna version is 4.1L on road. However, we decided to go for a Santro instead. It is 4.3L for similar version, but has more space and a more smoother engine. Plus, with some cash discounts and freebies it works out to be a better deal since this will be a car for my Dad for in-city use. Also thinking of the LPG option, which is 28k more.

Last edited by lambdaplus : 15th October 2011 at 18:24. Reason: Hyundai After Sales Service abbreviation got sensored!
Old 15th October 2011, 18:56   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I may be OT, but to me the Estilo is a better proposition than the EON. It may not be that fluidic, but serves the purpose and is more or less similarly priced.
True, I too believe that the underestimated Estilo and the workhorse Santro offer better value instead. I feel the Eon has exceeded its price tag by about Rs 20K. Those test driving the Eon and the Santro within ashort gap would immediately feel the refinement and smoothness of the Santro engine, the cabin/boot space and the tall body feel.

OK, the Santro interiors may not be fluidic or the 2011 stuff, but hey, it does the job and the Santro is a tried and tested product, that has sold more (Sep '11 sales) than newer cars with petrol/diesel engines like Beat and Figo. Besides, it is also considered an 'A' segment car, so it technically competes with Alto and Eon.

Last edited by misquitas : 15th October 2011 at 18:57.
Old 15th October 2011, 19:35   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
(E)ntry (O)f (N)ew Search Engine

MSIL only knows well how much its bread and butter model, the alto may be under big threat and its biggest fear is Hyundai. As a pre conceived counter attack, the company hurriedly mushroomifies the alto and plonks the A-star's engine and launches it the Alto K-10, only later to realise that the A-star is a market dud, having made a blink-and-you-miss me appearance. Nothing but a result of smashing an alto at the rear.

Eleven years have passed since maruti has first launched the alto, and the stakes are high. More high than what lagaan had in 2000 when it was pitched against gadar. Both emerged victorious but ultimately it was lagaan which got global acclaim. But this gadar between maruti and Hyundai is now fought at an entirely new level.
Great Narration Sid..

really enjoyed reading through, infact did not even bother about the actual tech-specs.

it is such a treat to read good narration..

rarely we now come across good writers. even the news papers have lost it these days..

will check out your others posts too..

Cheers!!
Old 15th October 2011, 23:19   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Estilo vs EON ?
Estilo can be compared with Santro/Lower variant of i10.

Kindly check any magazine for Estilo pricing and you will know the answer.

Estilo is longer but the rear seat is cramped in Estilo.
Estilo however has generous Boot space and Front half is very spacious.
Estilo has not sold well due to its Monobox design which in INDIA does not feel premium to many people.

New Estilo has tried to correct that, but still sales are luke warm.

IMO Alto's downslide is now obvious.EON will be a HIT.
The only way ALTO will sell is by lowering the prices which i guess we will eventually see.

ALTO is cramped and difficult to live with once you get used to Comfort of Tall boys.
Old 16th October 2011, 00:01   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Estilo vs EON ?
Estilo can be compared with Santro/Lower variant of i10.

Kindly check any magazine for Estilo pricing and you will know the answer.
When you say that Estilo can be compared to a lower variant of i10, you automatically increase the value proposition of the car

Secondly, i do not have to check the price of the car; i own the new K series estilo.

I know that sales wise, its a a dud, however, it is great value package for what it offers. If nothing then at the same price you do gate rear wash wipe which is not there in EON.
Old 16th October 2011, 01:24   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When you say that Estilo can be compared to a lower variant of i10, you automatically increase the value proposition of the car

Secondly, i do not have to check the price of the car; i own the new K series estilo.

I know that sales wise, its a a dud, however, it is great value package for what it offers. If nothing then at the same price you do gate rear wash wipe which is not there in EON.
I like new estilo esp in brown, since it looks better and has K series.
I wish rear seat was better, thats the only weak link in estilo.
Also compared to i10 it lacks width and cannot seat 3.
Old 16th October 2011, 01:28   #114
BHPian

Had an opportunity to have a look at EON on display in GIP maill, Noida today. It was a very quick look as had other things on mind. I found the exteriors proportionate. Design - side is great, front felt weird, can't make up my mind on the rear - but overall the car looks ve...ry refreshing for the segment. Was amazed with the interiors - sure to set a new benchmark in and around the segment. Considering the shocked eyeballs gathered by Etios/Liva interiors, this aspect alone can pull decent numbers. The seating is low, but I felt is OK for the car this size. Adequate space all around. Forgot to look at the boot, but should be decent (figures in OP say 215 L, right? That's better than the New Swift!). Add to it, good driveability, NVH refinement mentioned by sidindica, Hyundai's established network and positive brand image...what do I say guys?!

Way to go Hyundai!

The pricing straddling entry level and the higher sub-segment should give jitters to several quarters. Hyundai expects to redefine the market segmentation by creating a new segment with this single product. Methinks that the expectation is not unreasonable.

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 16th October 2011 at 01:40.
Old 16th October 2011, 01:29   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I like new estilo esp in brown, since it looks better and has K series.
I wish rear seat was better, thats the only weak link in estilo.
Also compared to i10 it lacks width and cannot seat 3.
Agreed. Hence the comparison with the EON. EON is not made to be the alto beater. it has been made to take away the shares of wagon R, Estilo, A star and to some extent other small cars.
Old 16th October 2011, 01:51   #116
Senior - BHPian

Went to check the EON at Hilton Motors today with other bhpians.
  • Its doesnt look smaller than i10
  • Too much curves ( what happens with body work in an accident? Will be a pain to work! )
  • BOOT is BIG for a small car! I repeat! it has a BOOT
  • Well, saving $ Hyundai? They didnt cover the body part in the boot area! You are gonna scratch the paint in the long run and it might look bad too
  • Looks good and posher than Alto/A-Star
  • With 6feet plus at the front in comfortable position, the back seat should be held by a kid else its ok
  • Seats are good at front and rear
  • You will have to get a Hyundai fog lamp if you are getting Magna or lower versions
Costs 3.85 OTR at Trivandrum for Magna
Costs 4.13 OTR at Trivandrum for Sports
Old 16th October 2011, 03:22   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. Hence the comparison with the EON. EON is not made to be the alto beater. it has been made to take away the shares of wagon R, Estilo, A star and to some extent other small cars.
version non ac - Maruti std - 2.39 , Hyundai Eon Dlite - 2.69
version ac - Maruti Lx - 2.71 , Hyundai Eon Dlite (o) - 2.92
version ac, power steering- Maruti Alto Lxi - 2.88 Hyundai Eon Era - 3.12
version - Maruti Alto K10 lxi - 3.12, Hyundai Eon Magna - 3.36

version - Maruti Alto K10 vxi - 3.25 Hyundai Eon Magna (o) - 3.49
Hyundai Eon Sports - 3.74

All above are Ex-showroom prices delhi quoted in this thread, you still feel EON is not a ALTO Beater?

With such pricing EON will eat in to ALTO + K10 + SPARK + SANTRO sales for sure.
Old 16th October 2011, 11:42   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

All above are Ex-showroom prices delhi quoted in this thread, you still feel EON is not a ALTO Beater?

With such pricing EON will eat in to ALTO + K10 + SPARK + SANTRO sales for sure.
I do. The reason being it may be cheaper in some cities, but when we look at the picture as a whole, the maruties work out to be cheaper in other cities. That's why i said, it may slow down the marutis, but not defeat them. We'll shall see the results in the monthly sales thread of new year.

PS: I am saying new year as maruti has a lock down situation currently, which helps the sales of the EON.
Old 17th October 2011, 11:08   #119
BHPian

Saw an Eon Magna in detail at Forum Whitefield, Bangalore and was pretty impressed with the interiors and design! Changed my perception about the entry-level segment
What I liked:
Fluidic design looks great, relatively proportionate and not overdone like in Beat.
Pretty good boot. Should manage airport drives comfortably.
Interiors are top-notch; quality gear. Alto interiors looks so 1960's when compared.
What I didn't
If you are a six-footer; no-one would like to sit in the rear seat behind you
4 passengers max - plan your family size before you buy!
Boot-space exposes the metal-body, un-cool.
800 cc, 3 pot engine; yes its an entry level car; but give me few more engine options Hyundai! Bring in a 1 L option as you might have a winner competing across two segments.
Old 17th October 2011, 13:42   #120
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, i too think it ll nor affect alto sales much. It will compete with estilo, wagon r and santro, all 3 of which are better options than eon IMHO. Add to that the superior A$$ of maruti and cheaper spares and mantainence, alto still remains a winner

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks