Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 19:22   #61
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Eon: Quick First drive and impressions

Prices are very disappointing :(
I was really excited for days until I realized that the base model D-lite with AC costs around 3.4 lac on-road at Delhi. I recently got my Figo for only 50k more. The dream of owning a 'toy car' for roaming around in markets is shattered.

However no doubt that it will dethrone Alto and will be largest selling car in India.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 13th October 2011 at 19:37. Reason: adding one more line
Old 13th October 2011, 20:03   #62
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
However no doubt that it will dethrone Alto and will be largest selling car in India.
Eon will sell handsomely and can topple i10 from Hyundai's largest selling car position. But Alto will still be the best seller in India. Reason? a lot of Alto buyers are first time buyers who prefer a small easy-to-handle car. Though many first time buyers prefer B/B+ segment car nowadays, there are many who prefer the chuck-ability. There is where Alto can outshine Eon.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 13th October 2011 at 20:14.
Old 13th October 2011, 20:16   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Looks to me a bit overpriced - around 20K in all trims.
I too felt the same, would have been better if it was 20k lesser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Could someone post the prices of comparable variants of eon, santro and i10 1.1 ?

1. Base variant (barebones)
2. Mid variant (AC + PS + front PW)
3. Top variant (ABS + airbags)

I have a feeling that eon prices are very close to santro/i10 1.1 territory.

Rohan
EON dont have ABS. And they no Asta EON since it will be in i10 range
Old 13th October 2011, 20:41   #64
BHPian

On the way back home this evening, I was reading this thread on this A segmenter that ticks all the boxes except price. And then I hear on FM that the Estilo's prices begin at 2.9 lakh.

There would be many who would mock at this strategy, but I think Estillo also gives a good package, albeit a segment higher.

Maruti has acted! The space is heating up!

Last edited by aroop : 13th October 2011 at 20:45.
Old 14th October 2011, 00:10   #65
BHPian

This car reminds me a little of Nissan Cube in the US in terms of curves especially on the rear side. Sorry to say but it looks ugly from the back....
Old 14th October 2011, 06:21   #66
BHPian

Had a chance to drive the EON last evening and here are my 2 cents:

The TD car was a Magna(O) which misses an Airbag, fog lamps and keyless entry from the top end sportz.

Styling: Subjective but the front and the rear look good in flesh. I had not liked the rear design in pics but it looks quite good in flesh. It is however the side profile which sticks out like a sore thumb. It looks as though the designers ran out of canvas before they could finish penning those complex lines;overdone for a such a small car.

Interiors: IMPRESSIVE to say the least. Hardly any panel gaps, even shut lines and good part quality too! Save for the two rupee silver foil finish on one of the AC control knobs, but then they do have good feel. Instrument cluster is very simple with a large speedo flanked by a temperature and fuel gauges. There is no needle for Fuel Gauge and it has segments which light up like in a video game to show the fuel level. The music system is decent, has a large display. Space up front is ok for drivers of average height. Being 6'1 I could not get in to a proper driving position. Also, I had a feeling of sitting on the car with my line of vision coinciding with the top of the front windshield, felt like sitting in a Maruti Van. Back seat space is quite good for the segment and found to be much better than the Alto. The seat squab has reasonable depth and the seat back extends all the way up to my neck which makes it comfortable even for taller passengers but it is not recommended for a 6 footer to end up in that seat for long runs.

Ride and Handling: The steering is like my Logitech gaming wheel. My gaming wheel has force feedback and is better than the EON steering wheel.!!
Cornering ability is decent and ride is mature. I was not thrown around on a broken stretch of tarmac. The engine has a weak bottom end and needs to be revved. It does gets coarse on being revved but nothing better or worse than what the competition offers. There was a slight hint of vibrations filtering through the transmission. It was a very short drive and hence cannot comment anything more than this.

Misc: Feels odd that Hyundai decided to give Airbags, that too only ONE instead of ABS. Would have preferred the latter instead of this half hearted attempt to provide safety.

Overall a good buy and I should be booking one soon
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 11:15   #67
BHPian

Does anyone have the Bangalore OTR prices?
Old 14th October 2011, 11:27   #68
BHPian

I have made it clear in my above posts that Eon's pricing is a little skewed , but let me explain why this car is clearly overpriced in points

1)what people will actually end up paying for the car on road is what counts and not just the ex-showroom price . If u see at ex-showroom level itself
Eon is around 30k expensive ,add to that dealer discounts and add to that
additional registration charges and road-tax plus insurance (which are based
on the ex-showroom price ) .Eon will clearly cost 50k more , for a similar
spec variant of the Alto .

2] Now in A segment consumers not only look for value but also the initial cost of the car . You simply cannot justify a 50 k premium for better interiors and a premium feel .

3] Now i want to bring in the same argument which people are using to justify the extra price of Eon . Everybody has forgotten the Chevrolet Beat.

Now what does this car have over Eon

a]Better image

b]Better looking

c]4 cylinder engine with 80 PS power

d]B segment

e]Much better ride and Handling package .

Now if u compare Magna and Beat p.s which compare favorably

the price difference is a mere 20 k at ex-showroom and dare i say it , it will work out as much as an Eon due to dealer discounts and free insurance schemes running on Beat .

Now its up to people to go for a bigger , better , roomier , higher segment
and more powerful Beat or Eon . I mean at almost the same price on road
its clear which car is the better choice .

You know people are caught out comparing Eon to Alto but they have forgotten a simple fact that Hyundai has priced it such that it is competing with base versions of Figo and Beat .

So if people say Eon is a much better car than Alto and deserves its 50 k premium then i am afraid they also have to admit the fact that Beat and Figo base versions suddenly look to be much better options at the same price unless and until one is only looking for better mileage.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 14th October 2011 at 11:31.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:54   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroop
And then I hear on FM that the Estilo's prices begin at 2.9 lakh. There would be many who would mock at this strategy, but I think Estillo also gives a good package, albeit a segment higher.
That IMO is a masterstroke from MSIL, and a better thing to do that launching a select version of Alto with leather-seats etc. The Estilo is an under-rated car that is actually an awesome proposition (I almost bought it, till we move to AT A*) & the top-trim is loaded with airbag, ABS and other stuff, with the price-cut now making it even better. And with the Eon (and other new entrants to hatch segment) looking as it does, looks are no longer a differentiator in the lower segment. I guess MSIL will use all the unused weapons in its arsenal (barely selling cars like A*, Estilo etc) to counter the Eon, by offering price cuts. Good for customers.
Old 14th October 2011, 13:36   #70
Senior - BHPian

@ needforspeed88, you went too far. Compare Spark with EON & Alto and yes ONLY after getting a formal quote from their respective dealers. At least in case of Spark, Chevy never bothered to update correct price
Old 14th October 2011, 13:56   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
@ needforspeed88, you went too far. Compare Spark with EON & Alto and yes ONLY after getting a formal quote from their respective dealers. At least in case of Spark, Chevy never bothered to update correct price
Beat is 3.57 lack ex-showroom ,while Eon Magna 3.36 lakh ex-showroom .
When people go in with a budget of around 4 lakh on-road price naturally
they want the best value for the money spent . So if there is next to nothing
in the on road price between Beat P.S and Eon Magna , you can imagine
spark will work out to be even more value for money especially with dealers
offering free insurance options and zero maintenance options.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 14th October 2011 at 14:01.
Old 14th October 2011, 13:58   #72
BHPian

I also feel the same! Hyundai has missed the opportunity by mispricing the EON.

alto k10 vxi costing Rs 3.32 lac ex showroom has an offer of Rs 40,000 (Rs 38000+ Rs 2000 corporate discount) that means it costs Rs 2.82 lacs to the customer (By way of savings on insurance, MGP and exchange bonus etc) No doubt Eon has better interiors and exterior but it will be far more costlier despite Alto K 10 having a more powerful engine.

Launch of eon has increased scope of discount as well as goodies on ALTO. Therefore though EOn may have good sales to the tune of 8-10000 per month it can't dethrone the Alto.

Maybe hyundai doesn't have that much manufacturing capacity at the moment and they want to increase their bottomline more than the topline.
Old 14th October 2011, 14:03   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
I also feel the same! Hyundai has missed the opportunity by mispricing the EON.

alto k10 vxi costing Rs 3.32 lac ex showroom has an offer of Rs 40,000 (Rs 38000+ Rs 2000 corporate discount) that means it costs Rs 2.82 lacs to the customer (By way of savings on insurance, MGP and exchange bonus etc) No doubt Eon has better interiors and exterior but it will be far more costlier despite Alto K 10 having a more powerful engine.

Launch of eon has increased scope of discount as well as goodies on ALTO. Therefore though EOn may have good sales to the tune of 8-10000 per month it can't dethrone the Alto.

Maybe hyundai doesn't have that much manufacturing capacity at the moment and they want to increase their bottomline more than the topline.
Thats exactly my point. It was supposed to be an alto competitor but i am afraid Hyundai has priced it out of the competition with Alto
Old 14th October 2011, 14:16   #74
Team-BHP Support

Pricing is actually not that bad. Let's look at a typical buyer for the Alto. Probably a first time car buyer who has just started working and needs a car for transportation means but his salary allows only the low end segment of hatches like the Santro, Alto, Estilo, Spark.

Most probably he will not be paying outright and will probably take a loan of around 3L.

He would go for an Alto K10 Lxi probably or a Spark. Now he has the Eon to chose from. A much more modern car and upmarket looks and better perceivable quality.

How much more for the Eon Magna with Ac and PS will he have to pay? Around 30K more which is lesser than Rs.1,000 per month more for a 3yr loan.

He will think to himself, not bad since I'm getting a much more modern product and my main aim is city use. Probably better safety and more space than the Alto.

If I were in his shoes I would be writing a cheque for the Eon.

Only thing we need to see is how it drives. Anything marginally better than Alto and spark and you have a potential upset for the Alto.

Alto sales will not go down much because their major sales are not in metros. Metros see more of i10, Santro, Spark and not Alto. Alto K10 is a smaller % of Alto sales which are metro sales.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 14:18   #75
BHPian

Eon Magna (o) is probably in the same price or costlier than Santro Xing GLS.

Why would some one need to go for 800cc eon against a well proven 1.1 liter santro?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks