Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2012, 21:59   #1
BHPian

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL

19-Mar-2011, Bangalore
22,600 kms

I love my cars, my first car is Santro LP ZipPlus 2002. I maintain them good, several of my friends/relatives ask me to sell the car to them.
Since my santro had crossed 90,000 kms and the newly laid roads to my home town were also tempting me to buy a powerful sedan. So I decided to buy new car. I was postponing my decision from 2006 due to buying house. Whenever a new car model gets launched I will make sure I test drive that car.

Alternatives considered & Zeroing on Vento

Fiat Linea: My wife wanted Linea TJet, but considering TATA doing the service. I was not comfortable going for it. So dropped this from the list.
Honda City: No diesel options
Optra Magnum: The model existed for longer time, So dropped from the list
New Verna: Not available during that time.

The talking advertisement on TOI had created an hype on the car for sure and thanks to GTO review which helped me choose this power monster.

My varient
VW Vento TDI Highline

My usage pattern
Kms on week days : 56 X 20 (Working days) : 1120
In this 20kms in dense traffic

Monthly once to home town : 600 kms
Average monthly usage: Approx 2,000 kms

City:Highway - 70%:30%

What I liked in this car

- Magic Torque
- Handling
- Climatronics
- Suspension (For a person driving Santro, this car was very smooth)
- Interior quality and finish
- Badge
- KMPL for sedan range

What I didn’t like
- Audio system, Very basic and speakers also bad.
- Clutch is too hard for petrol driver.
- Engine clatter, My 5 Yr old son tells me that it sounds like a Jeep
- OE Mud flops are not great design and it scratches almost all speed breaks in Bangalore.
- Central locking system

Engine & Performance
During my first test drive since I was going in dense streets, I couldn't go beyond 1 & 2 gear.
My second test made me to fall in love with this car.

The idling RPM was around 800 RPM. When turbo kicks in around 1500 RPM, You get a much better confident in overtaking any car.
Noise insulation could have been little better. But the vibration was none.

Also like many people mentioned I too felt the engine clatter comes down after driving for few kms.

Handling
I like the electro-mechanical steering, you get the feel during your drive. You can very well notice this during U turns.

The brakes are awesome, it stops in the place where you press break. Nothing more and nothing less.

Suspension & Ride Quality
I like soft suspension, very good comfort during city and long drives. If I had bought different car in these Blr roads, It would have been a tough journey for me.

Also the ride quality is excellent most of the time you feel you are going slow, So now I have set the speed warning for 120 KM. Now it beeps when I exceed the speed.

Buying & Test drive experience from dealership (VW Bangalore)
We want to go to the showroom which is near to my house, so we end going to VW, Blr in Hosur road, Blr. The SA I have interacted was Sanchita. But the showroom was not looking great, several customers were shouting at different SA for late delivery of the car.

I went to test drive the car, but the car was not available. So I have asked them to drop to my house. They came to my house when I was alone and I took the car into my streets and I liked the handling. When my wife returned from home town we went again for the test drive this time on Hosur road. This is when I got more impressed the car on highways.

We have asked for what are the color choices, SA replied Black, White and Silver available to see. Shadow Blue was not available but she mentioned they can take the booking. The mentioned the color will be similar to beetle color which was parked inside the showroom.
I have paid Rs 75,000 as advance on 15-Nov-2010.

I got call from SA on 12-Mar-2012 that my car is in transit. I went to the showroom on 15-Mar-2011 for clearing the payment.
I got the insurance 17-Mar-2011, but due to the payment issue.

The car got delivered to me on 19-Mar-2011, 05:30 Pm. I was very happy to own VW Sedan, I was the first customer in Bangalore to take the delivery on Shadow Blue. Also I was the first one TBHP but my review was late, Sorry about that

Insurance
When I checked the review on Bajaj Allianz was not good, and the quote I got from TATA AIG was high. So I decided to get help from my uncle who works in United India. I got the quote of Rs 25,609 for zero dep policy, it was looking better that time. Thanks to TBHP for posts on going for insurance outside. Showroom people didn't agree for that and mentioned I have to with Bajaj. I have told them I'm using my NCB with united and opt for going insurance outside.

On road price
Ex Showroom : 9, 31, 709
Insurance(United India, Zero dep): Rs 25, 609
Road Tax & Service Charge : Rs 1,50,484 (Road Tax Rs 1,43,484 & Service charge : 7,000)
Corp Discount : 16,000
Essential Kit : 4,650( Mud Flops, Car Cover(Not even used once), Door Sills)
On road price : 10,96,452

Accessories(Outside)
I liked the blue color without sun film, but during the summer the hot was not bearable. So I decided to for the film after 4 months.
Kagu 3D Mat : Rs 4,600 (Junction, Blr)
3M film CR 20 Sun film: 3,600 (Throttle, Blr)

Dashboard at night
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-ac_ice_nite_off.jpg
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-ac_ice_nite.jpg
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-console.jpg
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-ovrm.jpg

Niggles Faced
Rear right hand power window auto-roll down was not working.
I went to VW DownTown, Blr they cleaned the window and said it's working now. After 2 days again the same problem happened. This time same service center said I need to book the appointment. I have booked appointment and gave it for service, they have repaired it. The problem again happened after 4 days.

In the mean time I have noticed service adviors keep changing in Downtown, Blr. Each time I used to meet different SA and tell them the story again and again. This happened totally 4 times, but the problem not solved.

Now I have decided not to give for 15k service in this service center.

From Bangalore I went to Coimbatore for 15k car service, along with service I have also told them this complaint. After the service again the problem happened.

Next I have tried in PalaceCross, Blr this time they have replaced some beedings and track. After this for longer time I'm not having this problem now.

Fuel Efficiency (I used log this refill data each time in my mobile)
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-fuel_data_vento.jpg
The fuel efficiency in city : 15 kmpl, highway: 20 kmpl

Service Report (Date: 24-Sep-2011, Kms:15,012, Service Center:Ramani, Coimbatore)
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-service_report.jpg

Some more pics

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-front_car_1.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-rear_car_1.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-side_car_1.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-nice_road_1.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-front_right.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-vw.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-vw_1.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-elita_garden.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-right_cut_1.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-front_seat.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-reat_seat.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-mud_road_1.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-mud_road_2.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-rear_1.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-vento_tdi.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-lake_back_drop.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-wiper_switch.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-steering.jpg

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-interior_front_1.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-light_switch.jpg  

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-ac_grill.jpg  

Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-cut_1.jpg  

Last edited by TopSpeeder : 28th January 2012 at 17:32.
TopSpeeder is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 22:49   #2
BHPian

Re: Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL

Hey Topspeeder, Congrats on the neat and straightforward review !!! As they say, better late than never And nice pics, even in the parking lot. Must say, its a beauty, more so in this mystical blue color.

Wish you many many more happy miles... all the best !
Old 24th January 2012, 23:11   #3
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th January 2012 at 16:37.
krish82 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th January 2012, 00:35   #4
BHPian

Man, with every single day passing by, my attraction for this car is just increasing. The car looks even more stunning when draped in this shadow blue color. Congrats for this fabulous buy.
What is the FE you are getting? keep us updated about the performance.

Wish you many happy miles in this wonderful car!!!
Drive Safe.
Old 25th January 2012, 04:28   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on owning that beauty. That is a very clean and a straight forward review. I love that color choice and have recently bought a swift which is in blue as well. Please share some interior pics when you get the time.

How do you feel about the car after so many months of driving it and the spares, are they expensive, as I have heard they are.
Old 25th January 2012, 05:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, i am sure you will have many wonderful miles with this beauty. Its a wonderful looking car, the pictures do not do justice to its looks. Do get it parked outside (Not Shade/Sun combination) and then take pictures, hopefully they will come out better.

Do post interior pictures as well.
Old 25th January 2012, 09:12   #7
BHPian

Damn good color, or should i say a head turner that is too on vento TDI.
absolute pleasure to drive. just take care of fuel filling stations as some of the vento owners on TBHP are complaining about drop in power and torque suspected on bad fuel.
Congratulations and enjoy the driving.
keep us updated about the long drive experiences.
Old 25th January 2012, 10:47   #8
BHPian

Congratulaions mate! Superb choice of car and colour.A crisp and well written review. The Vento's a proper all-rounder, good city car and a powerful tourer. You'll enjoy outrunning competition like the verna and fiesta between traffic lights! The torque is just incredible.
Also Yours must be the New lot with the USB option, Steering mounted controls, parking sensors. That just completes the vento and makes it a segment best. Make sure you run in the car properly.
Wish you many Happy miles!!

Ps: Some more pics of the interiors please.
Old 25th January 2012, 10:51   #9
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Damn good color, or should i say a head turner that is too on vento TDI.
absolute pleasure to drive. just take care of fuel filling stations as some of the vento owners on TBHP are complaining about drop in power and torque suspected on bad fuel.
Congratulations and enjoy the driving.
keep us updated about the long drive experiences.
Yes, I agree it was head turner several people were looking at them during my initial period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Congratulations, i am sure you will have many wonderful miles with this beauty. Its a wonderful looking car, the pictures do not do justice to its looks. Do get it parked outside (Not Shade/Sun combination) and then take pictures, hopefully they will come out better.

Do post interior pictures as well.
I will post some good pics soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFuel View Post
Congratulations on owning that beauty. That is a very clean and a straight forward review. I love that color choice and have recently bought a swift which is in blue as well. Please share some interior pics when you get the time.

How do you feel about the car after so many months of driving it and the spares, are they expensive, as I have heard they are.
The new swift blue also good. I'm adding some data on fuel cost. Apart from that I did service which costing around 8k

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateDrive View Post
Man, with every single day passing by, my attraction for this car is just increasing. The car looks even more stunning when draped in this shadow blue color. Congrats for this fabulous buy.
What is the FE you are getting? keep us updated about the performance.

Wish you many happy miles in this wonderful car!!!
Drive Safe.
I have added some refuling data with some grphs at the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock22 View Post
Hey Topspeeder, Congrats on the neat and straightforward review !!! As they say, better late than never And nice pics, even in the parking lot. Must say, its a beauty, more so in this mystical blue color.

Wish you many many more happy miles... all the best !
Attached Thumbnails
Shadow Blue Diamond - VW Vento TDI HL-fuel_data_vento.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 25th January 2012 at 16:38. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 25th January 2012, 11:04   #10
BHPian

Easily one of the best colours in any indian car now! Congratulations again!

A crisp review as well!

Please put up some interior shots.

Happy driving!
Old 25th January 2012, 11:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car , the best colour !
Wow at the graphs , thanks for posting them .
BTW , we will remember your promise about the photoshoot so better do that without any delay
Old 25th January 2012, 12:18   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on owning this beauty. Added the shadow blue seems the best color suited to the Vento's!

Cheers!
Old 29th January 2012, 12:17   #13
Team-BHP Support

Note From Team BHP Support Team: Thread moved from Assembly Line section to Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports section. Thanks.
Old 29th January 2012, 17:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, albeit a little late in the day. Labour costs for VW seems to vary depending on the place, rates seem to be a lower side in coimbatore compared to what is quoted in chennai. And for the power window problem, please check the following post -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2661717

I had a similar problem and initialy I too thought this to be an issue, but later realized this can be programmed. I'm not surprised the service center didnt have any clue on this and they might have replaced the winder motor suspecting it to be faulty.

Your issue may have been different, but still wanted to mention here since the symptoms seem similar.

Have a very pleasant and memorable ownership experience.
Old 30th January 2012, 19:01   #15
BHPian

Thanks Bala, It was in my mind for longer time to complete the review. Now only I could make it.

Yes, When I met member blackdiesel few months back he too mentioned about this resetting method. We have tried it and it really worked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks