Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2013, 14:59   #1471
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
Hi - I own a Ertiga VDI and have run around 5000 Kms in 6 months. My car is in for its 2nd free service and have pointed out to the Service Advisor (SA) regarding rust covered parts in the engine bay (see pictures below). The SA has informed me that they are part of the exhaust assembly and piping and they treated for such a "rusted" finish. Can the members confirm if this explanation offered by the SA is correct and it is the same in their cars ?
That's absolutely normal just like how your front Rotor hubs would also corrode. Nothing to worry about that at all. I believe the rusted part is made of cast Iron that rusts faster than any other metal in your car and this rust is only "surface"
rust which wont eat the whole metal.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 17:02   #1472
Senior - BHPian

Question for Diesel ertiga owners

Have anyone of you felt the Clutch is hard ?
I personally feel the clutch is OK for the diesel(much better than that of Duster) and the clutch of brand new diesel ertiga is similar to that on my 6.5 yr old Swift petrol with 63K on Odo(stock)

But i have been noticing some pain in my knee and ankle area(Left leg) since i have been driving in peak traffic. Clutch feels OK to me, but wondering what else could be causing the pain apart form the clutch.

If anyone feels the Clutch of Ertiga is not at all hard, let me know so that i can rush to MASS.
Old 4th October 2013, 17:10   #1473
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
If anyone feels the Clutch of Ertiga is not at all hard, let me know so that i can rush to MASS.
Just a thought aside:

Any differences in seating position? Can that make a difference to what you are seeing?
Old 4th October 2013, 21:36   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Question for Diesel ertiga owners

Have anyone of you felt the Clutch is hard ?
I personally feel the clutch is OK for the diesel(much better than that of Duster) and the clutch of brand new diesel ertiga is similar to that on my 6.5 yr old Swift petrol with 63K on Odo(stock)

But i have been noticing some pain in my knee and ankle area(Left leg) since i have been driving in peak traffic. Clutch feels OK to me, but wondering what else could be causing the pain apart form the clutch.

I had the same experience during initial few months of driving my Ertiga VDI. I was driving a petrol Getz before that which had very light clutch and comparatively Ertiga diesel has a hard clutch and I used to have ankle pain. Now it seems my left leg has got used to the clutch and I dont feel any pain. I remember another T-BHP user also saying the same thing when he started driving it. So I dont think there is an issue that you have to rush to MASS. That said, I would have welcomed a softer clutch and am worried if it will get much harder after a few years.
Old 5th October 2013, 12:53   #1475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I had the same experience during initial few months of driving my Ertiga VDI. I was driving a petrol Getz before that which had very light clutch and comparatively Ertiga diesel has a hard clutch and I used to have ankle pain. Now it seems my left leg has got used to the clutch and I dont feel any pain. I remember another T-BHP user also saying the same thing when he started driving it. So I dont think there is an issue that you have to rush to MASS. That said, I would have welcomed a softer clutch and am worried if it will get much harder after a few years.
The clutch is pretty normal like any other diesel car clutch (Swift/SX4), And though i can never compare it with that of petrol car, but the clutch of my old swift was pretty hard and needed replacement by 75K. But i never felt any pain with that.

So let me see if it has something to do with seating position etc.
Old 5th October 2013, 18:51   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
Can the members confirm if this explanation offered by the SA is correct and it is the same in their cars ?
Hi: I just checked mine ( July 12 mfg with 23k on the odo) - There is no rust.
mohandas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 18:54   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandas View Post
Hi: I just checked mine ( July 12 mfg with 23k on the odo) - There is no rust.
Would it be possible to post a snap pls.
Old 8th October 2013, 13:08   #1478
BHPian

I finally took delivery of my Maruti Ertiga ZDi with alloys, in granite grey color. Its a nice feeling after waiting for 1 month - part of it being actual wait period for car availability & part of waiting for auspicious time. I would drive it only on weekends/holidays & on long trips while it will be used by my wife on weekdays for daily commute. Followed advice from Team BHP such as doing inspection at the stock yard, PDI checklist (though nothing was amiss) & taking insurance from outside - thanks for all the suggestions.

Accessories installed:
  1. Basic accessory kit which includes MGA floor & boot mats apart from perfume, idol, puncture repair kit, mud flaps, etc
  2. Body side molding (or beading) & bumper corner protectors for back & front
  3. Reverse parking sensor (freebie) - basic version will be fitted tomorrow since the one in stock was faulty
  4. Leather steering grip (freebie)
  5. Body paint protection / Teflon coating which doesnt come with any warranty or even proof of being applied since it came as a freebie! I dont know how useful this really is. As precautions I was asked to not use soap or any cloth other than banian type for cleaning the car.
  6. I asked about A/C filter (around Rs 350) after reading about it here but the SA wasnt much aware of this, saying it is only for Swift. Is this needed? Maybe I can get it during 1st service
The funny thing about buying accessories was that I didnt get an itemised bill, but just a bill for the amount paid. The amount paid was also approximate - looks like Rs 50-100 less didnt matter to the dealer!

Accessories I thought about seriously but finally didnt get:
  1. Door sill guard - as I was told it may rust with time & is not really needed
  2. Door visor set - I like to keep windows slightly open when not in heavy pollution, but I felt the visors restrict the view slightly, when it isnt raining
  3. Body graphics - looks cool but is expensive & not worth it I felt
Accessories I plan to buy at some point of time:
  1. 3M nomad mats
  2. Rubberised underbody coating from 3M with 5 yr warranty
  3. Fabric seat covers from Elegant Auto mostly, but only after I enjoy the OEM covers for a while, depending on how quickly it gets dirty & how worried I get about not being able to restore it to clean condition despite assurance that there is a 3M cleaning that can get it to nearly new condition
  4. ipop door guards - but I cant get them in granite grey color! Is this needed and how does it compare to paint protection film for door trims, from 3M? These door guards do spoil the look.
Things I'm yet to receive are - RC book (card) which is supposed to come within a month & extended warranty certificate which the dealer will give me when I get the parking sensor fitted tomorrow.

Are there any precautions to be followed religiously before the 1st service of 1 month/1000 km? The SA told me to drive below 80 kmph during this period. Any rpm limit to be kept within?

Finally, here are a few pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-tbhp-front-view.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-tbhp-back-view.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Maruti Ertiga-tbhp-side-view.jpg  

csanand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 14:20   #1479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanand View Post

Are there any precautions to be followed religiously before the 1st service of 1 month/1000 km? The SA told me to drive below 80 kmph during this period. Any rpm limit to be kept within?

Congratulations on your new buy. Wish you miles of happy motoring ahead.

80 kmph translate to around 2K RPM. You can go through the team-bhp article on how to run-in your car.

I at least make sure I never cross 2K RPM for first 500km and then slowly go up to 2500 RPM max. So dont pay much attention to 80kmph speed limit, but stick to RPM range of below 2K for some time.

No need to rush into under body coating. The factory coating should last at least a year easily(may be more if you park your car covered)
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 14:58   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on your new buy. Wish you miles of happy motoring ahead.

80 kmph translate to around 2K RPM. You can go through the team-bhp article on how to run-in your car.

I at least make sure I never cross 2K RPM for first 500km and then slowly go up to 2500 RPM max. So dont pay much attention to 80kmph speed limit, but stick to RPM range of below 2K for some time.

No need to rush into under body coating. The factory coating should last at least a year easily(may be more if you park your car covered)
Thank you. Regarding run-in, here is what the Ertiga manual says (from the web/online version). It doesnt talk about 2K rpm or any speed limit, but I will stick to the 2K limit. Can I start to free rev after 1000 km which seems to be the run-in period?

From the Ertiga manual:
The future performance and reliability of the engine depends on the care and restraint exercised during its early life. It is especially important to observe the following precautions during the initial 960 km (600 miles) of vehicle operation.
• After starting, do not race the engine. Warm it up gradually.
• Avoid prolonged vehicle operation at a constant speed. Moving parts will break in better if you vary your speed.
• Start off from a stop slowly. Avoid full throttle starts.
• Avoid hard braking, especially during the first 320 km (200 miles) of
driving.
• Do not drive slowly with the transmission in a high gear.
• Drive the vehicle at moderate engine speeds.
• Do not tow a trailer during the first 960 km (600 miles) of vehicle operation.
csanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 13:48   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanand View Post
I finally took delivery of my Maruti Ertiga ZDi with alloys, in granite grey color.
Many congratulations. If possible have a detailed thread. You don't do justice to a vehicle in a short report. A review with likes/dislikes, how the vehicle is doing and trips etc.

The accessories you have put are good. Enjoy your vehicle. Wish you thousands of safe miles.

Cheers

Rajain
Old 12th October 2013, 15:27   #1482
BHPian

Is there any refresh coming up any soon? I am considering buying an ertiga. Can wait till up to six months.
Abes is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 20:58   #1483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
Is there any refresh coming up any soon? I am considering buying an ertiga. Can wait till up to six months.
Its available off the shelf anytime for you to buy. Be it now or after six months. But if you can wait till next auto expo, you might hear more about mpv launches by Hyundai and Honda
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2013, 22:27   #1484
BHPian

Quote:
Its available off the shelf anytime for you to buy. Be it now or after six months. But if you can wait till next auto expo, you might hear more about mpv launches by Hyundai and Honda
Thanks. But what I meant was whether any refresh or facelift coming up.
Old 13th October 2013, 04:17   #1485
BHPian

Check Engine Light Episode:

A week ago, with about 2200kms odo on my 2 month old Ertiga ZDI, on an airport drive with 7 ppl on board, the dreaded "Check Engine" light came on. This was an unexpected warning light as I did not expect to see a malfunction light to glow with just 2200 kms on the odo. I usually read the user manual cover to back and remembered the steps to follow in case the engine malfunction lamp glows. - Pull over , Turn off the engine, Wait for a few minutes, Start engine again. I did this, but the light remained. I drove to the next traffic signal and retried the turn off-turn on cycle. After sometime the lamp stopped glowing.

Over the next couple of days, the lamp glowed for sometime and magically turned off after few minutes. Dreading the worst, I visited the dealer, who attached the diagnostic tool to the OBD port and found the error code.

Error Code : P0180 - Fuel Temperature Sensor 'A' Circuit Malfunction

He asked me about fuel level and I told him that fuel was relatively low when the lamp glowed the first time. The technician checked the engine bay, cleared the error history and dismissed the episode as an overheat case due to low fuel and 7 members on board!

The warning light came on again that evening!

And this time, it was with a full fuel tank! The technicians theory of low fuel leading to the overheated fuel was invalidated. I visited the dealer the following day and explained the occurrence. He took the vehicle in for detailed check-up. After a few hours, I got a call from the dealer saying that the problem was isolated to a faulty sensor and the car also needed a fuel filter replacement. He assured the problem will not re-occur and there was no charges for the replacement since the car is under warranty. The problem has not surfaced after that. Yet.

For everyone's benefit, here is a list of OBD-II codes: http://engine-codes.com/obd-code-list/ http://engine-codes.com/obd-code-list/

And here is how you can decode the OBD-II codes - http://www.obd-codes.com/faq/obd2-codes-explained.php http://www.obd-codes.com/faq/obd2-codes-explained.php
abhinavrm is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed