Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 01:32   #16
BHPian

A very detailed and nice review , thank you . Safari storme certainly looks better and looks like Tata has put its heart into this vehicle .
Fortuner71 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 02:09   #17
BHPian

re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Thanks for the Wonderful Review. As a existing Safari did you find rattling issue's on the New Safari or did any participant discussed regarding the same?
kiransri_bng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 02:57   #18
BHPian

Great review Luke!
Am a bit skeptical about the future of the Storme if the price is indeed between the existing Safari and the Aria. Specially when the space is covered by the Scorpio now and the Duster and Ecosport in the future. While TATA can afford to charge a premium in the 4X4s, in the 4X2 space, volumes will be severely affected if the pricing is not competitive. So in the end it will really boil down to whether TATA wants to generate volumes with the Storme or is happy to position it purely as a niche product.
neel385 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 05:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the wonderful review. I am skeptical about the success of this model if its priced higher than current Safari.

did they mention why did they name as "Storme" or what does it mean?
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 06:08   #20
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the wonderful review, Hari.

Now, if you were given a choice to pick from the vehicles you had driven, including the XUV and Scorpio, which would you pick?
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 06:49   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the first peek review for a yet to be launched car, wonderful writing and excellent pictures. You are one lucky soul .

I read about the single DIN music system, and your recommendation to make it a 2 DIN one. Would it have Video/Audio/NAV capability? If you could still send them some recommendations do let them know that there are customers like me who would want an all-in-one system with an option to put additional bigger screen, alternatively send them the link to this thread as most customers like me would pour their feelings and rant on the thread.

I can clearly see Tata has made significant improvements to the car, its apparent form the pictures itself and i am sure you would have noticed this first hand. Having spent about a day with the car, did you notice any rattling, or anything coming out loose? Any indication what was approximate reading on these pre launch Safaris?

I am not too concerned about pricing, with the kind of positive moves they are making (Pre Launch drives with existing customers and all) i am quiet sure they would do everything under the sun to price it competitively, also looking at the way XUV is pulling number month over month, one can clearly see the potential if priced right.

There has been lot of talks on the looks of this car, especially comparing it with the current one. I for one liked the looks and the front although much flatter hasn't lost its aggressive stance. Putting LED up front can be another suggestion, but i would not mind if isn't there.

The engine cover does not say 2.2 DICOR, it says 140 VARICOR, is that just a new name, or have they made any improvements in the engine?

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 9th May 2012 at 07:05.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 06:51   #22
BHPian

New Hydrofoam Chassis ?

Hari,

Great stuff !

Well, how do you guys get so lucky ?

would you please get back with what exactly the above mean ?

It would be great if you write back with a technical ready reckoner of all the compared vehicles. It will be of great use for all the members here.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 9th May 2012 at 06:53.
Old 9th May 2012, 07:37   #23
BHPian

This is an excellent thread, almost like a TBHP official review

Congratulations Hari on being chosen for this and am sure, you made use of it to its full extent.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 09:01   #24
BHPian

thanks Hari, excellent review!!

one question the picture of the engine bay states 140 VariCor is this a new engine or just a new name change from dicor to varicor
arvindmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 09:08   #25
Team-BHP Support

Hari, the most important question is how good is it to drive compared to the XUV? I know the XUV is a monocoque but when the Storme is launched the XUV is what Tata will be aiming at.

Hows the ride, handling and driving feel compared to XUV? What does the Storme do better and is it ahead of the XUV or far behind?
Old 9th May 2012, 09:10   #26
BHPian

wow, that was very comprehensive. honestly when you told me yesterday 'it's better than before', I surely did not buy that. Now after looking at the photographs, it's actually got better fit and finish than before.

Hopefully the feedback about an integrated double din music system would be implemented.

Thanks for sharing photographs!
nevertouchme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 09:15   #27
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for sharing this wonderful review after getting permission

Why every new SUV has to look cheesy? The XUV's front is overdone and so is the Storme's. The clean front grill of the current Saeari looks so nice & apt.

A SUV should look butch/menacing. Why can't they design a dude with blacks & blue? Instead they seem to stuck with ones wearing pink shirts
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 09:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

What a fantastic review. Excellent. Will rate it 5 stars.

I have always loved the safari but could never gather courage to buy it because of all the scary after sales and problem stories but this one looks really good.

I will wait for the actual ownership reviews and maybe in a few months - who knows !

They will have to price this in 9.0 - 11.0 lacs for this if they want it ahead of the game. This will NOT beat the XUV 500 which looks far better than this. They will have to target the Scorpios.

Makes no sense to sell the old Safari as there is absolutely no room for this, the old and the Aria ! The aria better discontinued than run it. I have not seen one in ages.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 10:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The pictures 'Under the Hood' shows the engine as VariCOR? Have they renamed the Dicor?

Also, since you drove the Scorpio, XUV and the Storme back to back, could you put in a comparision? A brief one with the obvious differences would suffice.
I was told that it is the same Dicor engine, but it definitely felt much smoother and more refined.

Quote:
Hari, the most important question is how good is it to drive compared to the XUV? I know the XUV is a monocoque but when the Storme is launched the XUV is what Tata will be aiming at.

Hows the ride, handling and driving feel compared to XUV? What does the Storme do better and is it ahead of the XUV or far behind?
Apart from the electronics, the ride in the Storme feels more firm, the XUV was squealing in the turns, braking in Storme was way better, but the steering grip and seat backrest in XUV encompasses you better. But visibility from the driver's seat is not as good as in Storme or for that matter even the Scorpio.

I cannot compare it to the Scorpio mainly for the following reasons
1. Both the current Safari and Scorpio are outclassed by Storme
2. The Scorpio we got to drive had done about 20k kms and seemed to be badly maintained

Quote:
New Hydrofoam Chassis ?
Sorry, my mistake, it is HYDROFORM, not hydrofoam

Hydroforming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Now, if you were given a choice to pick from the vehicles you had driven, including the XUV and Scorpio, which would you pick?
Benny, I seriously was contemplating the XUV as a future replacement, but in the current scenario and after driving the XUV, I felt that I would not be comfortable in it, of course one would get used to it over a period of time, but I am not a big fan of in cabin electronics telling me everything I am doing or should be doing, most of those displays were non functional and the biggest minus point in my perception was the low slung nature of the XUV and it's poor all round visibility when compared to the other two.

Quote:
did they mention why did they name as "Storme" or what does it mean?
I don't think there is a hidden meaning in the name "Storme", the project name was Merlin and Storme is the result of the project.

Quote:
As a existing Safari did you find rattling issue's on the New Safari or did any participant discussed regarding the same?
There was absolutely no rattling in the Stormes, I asked if this would be the case in a vehicle that would have done some 40k kms, I was told they have not found issues in their test vehicles even after they have covered much more than 40k kms, the plastics fit and finish do feel very good and I was told that there have been lot of improvements behind the door panels and in the firewall to reduce noise.

Quote:
1. How many variants would be there in all?
2. ABS, EBD, ESP, Airbags - only on top end or possibility of optional extra?
As of now, I think Tata is following the same LX, EX, GX and VX pattern, there was a VXp, with the p as in apostrophe, which I was told meant "pack" as in value pack like in the Fiat "emotion" series.

Quote:
Also, since you drove the Scorpio, XUV and the Storme back to back, could you put in a comparision? A brief one with the obvious differences would suffice.
I honestly would not want to get into that one here, even though I say with confidence that I am not a Tata fanboy, I would not want to ruffle any Mahindra Fan's feathers.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 10:04   #30
Team-BHP Support

Great review, the icing on the cake will be if you could give some feedback on how it compares to the XUV500
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks