Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2012, 20:54   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi 4x4addict, don't mean to undermine you, but do you have access to proven sources when you say that Tata's QC is tightening and Mahindra's is on a decline?

I am just curious because am on the verge of buying a new car and both XUV and Aria are in my shortlist.
No, I don't have any internal sources. But, i am inferring this with the problems, myself and other Scorpio owners have had and the experiences of recent i.e 2010 and newer Safari owners on this forum. Most 2010 Safari owners on this forum have not had any major issues, unlike the earlier 2.2 DICOR owners. The thing with Tata is that the final years of R&D are done at the customers expense.

Just to clarify my point, after my own personal experience with Scorpio, I wouldn't touch an XUV500 with a barge pole. You could say that my issues with my Scorpio were bad luck, but things like a clutch slave cylinder are so basic, they should not fail in a vehicle which is a year old and done only 30K odd kilometers.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 21:31   #152
AWD
BHPian

With Tata when it comes to Indica/Manza, the company is sure a step ahead of Mahindra in terms of QC. When you bring Safari into the equation, the tables are turned. Even Aria hasn't managed to change the brand perception. On the other hand XUV has shown MM has the potential but not fully made use of.

Tata had a chance with new Safari to show to the World that it means business & has grown by leaps & bounds but sticking to the old shape will not let the stereotypes break. Competition from International automakers in the space these homegrown players operate could seriously hurt their sales.

Personally I keep "Reliability" as a top criteria while buying a vehile. Tata & MM do pull me towards themselves but only till I TD/feel the vehicles. Both the companies still have a long way to go...
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 16:25   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
With Tata when it comes to Indica/Manza, the company is sure a step ahead of Mahindra in terms of QC. When you bring Safari into the equation, the tables are turned. Even Aria hasn't managed to change the brand perception. On the other hand XUV has shown MM has the potential but not fully made use of.

Tata had a chance with new Safari to show to the World that it means business & has grown by leaps & bounds but sticking to the old shape will not let the stereotypes break. Competition from International automakers in the space these homegrown players operate could seriously hurt their sales.

Personally I keep "Reliability" as a top criteria while buying a vehile. Tata & MM do pull me towards themselves but only till I TD/feel the vehicles. Both the companies still have a long way to go...
Totally agree with you in terms of the way these companies have to go. However I believe that Tata took a leaf out of OLD SCHOOL engineering, and kept most things gizmo free. (Remember the tanks MB used to sell badged as W123/124), the new E- cannot stand a chance in front of them in terms of reliability. So what Tata have done, is to minimize the interference of non-essential gizmos(that you can always add) to make a vehicle that ages gracefully.

Now for the lack of a tail mounted spare, I hope everyone has seen the Safari expedition pictures. you probably cant mount two mountain bikes, if you have a tail-gate mounted sparewheel
Old 23rd May 2012, 17:49   #154
Senior - BHPian

Great review! Now my two bits! Design wise the Safari just looks a generation behind, I have no idea why with access to JLR resources Tata refuses to think out of the box when it comes to design. You have rightly pointed out the fuel lid shoved into the ABS wheel arch trim. Shoddy! I also noticed the rear door has a butt hinge visible on the outside (Am i Right?) C'mon we no longer use these even in furniture anymore.

Now the interior, seems to be heavily influenced by the Skoda Laura (which i use), again why does one need a tiny latch along with the door pull? Why does Tata even need to throw in that excuse for a sound system? i could just go to a accessory place and fix what i wanted if they cant integrate one into the car! definately not worthy of a 10+ lakh car.

Overall Same old Same old! Old wine in new bottle. I would rather buy a second hand Captiva, Yeti or anything else!

I am sorely disappointed.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:59   #155

Thanks a lot for a wonderful review
My two cents

1) An initiative involving change of platform for safari i.e. usage of aria chassis and improvements in steering system are major technical exercise similar to a new vehicle development. Now my complain is that when such big effort has been put into the platform then why has the icing on the cake been left, that is its front looks. Safari has been an extremely desirable vehicle owing to its killer looks.
That has been lost in this upgrade, because the looks will eventually only grow in the minds of the existing safari fan and not in the eyes of a first time looker.
Look at the commercial vehicle business unit of Tata motors and we can see that all new launches are with a very pleasing look. PRIMA as an example has got a beautiful front end. (My opinion)
Two biggest reasons for Safari fan following were looks/road presence and the ride quality, now with this upgrade 50% has been addressed and improved (ride and handling) but the remaining 50% which is a crowed puller has not received any justice from TM.
They should have had probably tried to retain the pleasing / appealing looks of the current range or improved it ensuring the legendary charm is intact.

2) Listen to what the market is asking – they could have at least tried very hard to add last row front facing seats. Again my point is same as in the above that when an extensive exercise has been undertaken involving replacement of chassis then why cannot the idea of last row front facing seats be evaluated at drawing board stage itself (and incorporated).

3) Success ‘Mantra’ is achieving Customer Delight by offering VFM products, by taking quantum jumps and not upgrades, improvements, etc. which are hard to detect in first glance. Lesson to be learned is from M&M on how they have scored in this parameter with their latest offering. I personally feel a lot more can be done to improve its outright desirability.

It is sad because TM now has access to best in the world (JLR) when it comes to aesthetics/looks and off-road capabilities (off-road - core to what is required by UV segment).

Please, still there is time – make a team of JLR and TM designers and ask them to give concepts of upgraded front end which can bring the magic of that head turning looks back to what this vehicle deserves. It has to catch eyeballs and only then launch it.

And where are those magical advertisements, which created a halo around the product.

There is still some work left TM, listen.
ambylover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 18:57   #156
Senior - BHPian

The new Safari Storme is expected to be launched around Jun-end/ July-begininng, with a price tag of Rs.9-12 lacs & the existing model will be relegated to Rs.7-9 Lacs range. Below is the link to OD report on the same:

Tata Safari Storme just a month from launch
CARDEEP is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 20:40   #157
Senior - BHPian

This is excellent news, even the pricing looks allright to me given its in early stage and it might boil down to OTR price Bangalore.

Waiting with fingers crossed and hoping they would have done more than excellent job when it comes to QC.
Old 30th May 2012, 11:17   #158
BHPian

If they are going to launch it at 9-12 lakhs, then i am surely going to buy.
Given this to be available at this killing price, what to expect more..

Only problem is that the Duster is also around the corner, i am not sure what i want to do, should i wait for Duster's review..
Mind says to wait for Duster but heart is with Safari, anyday..
Old 30th May 2012, 13:14   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
Mind says to wait for Duster but heart is with Safari, anyday..
I am awaiting the price cut on the existing Safari. Dropping the LX down to 7L showroom versus 8.24L now could make Safari sales soar!

Apart from Duster, don't forget the rumoured re-refreshed Scorpio being discussed on another thread with revised looks and some mechanical upgrades. They COULD position that at a similar 9-12L and also cut the price of the existing LX to 7L.

Suddenly, the 7-9L SUV market is alive. Call it the Duster effect?
Old 30th May 2012, 15:35   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I am awaiting the price cut on the existing Safari.
Ditto. Finances never permitted, but I've always wanted to own a Safari. And the good news will (hopefully) be that one can get the looks of the current Safari at a lower price.

Quote:
Apart from Duster, don't forget the rumoured re-refreshed Scorpio being discussed on another thread with revised looks and some mechanical upgrades. They COULD position that at a similar 9-12L and also cut the price of the existing LX to 7L.
Yeah, but they also mentioned that the Scorpio will be replaced with the new model and a 50k price hike. And that the XUV will move up in the price band as well.

Not sure if they intend to dilute the Scorpio brand. Maybe they intend to slot the mini-Xylo into that gap instead?
Old 30th May 2012, 16:38   #161
BHPian

Quote:

Could you give the link for this revised Scorpio in the news?
I tried to search but did not find anything on 'refreshed Scorpio'.
Old 30th May 2012, 17:29   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_delight View Post
Could you give the link for this revised Scorpio in the news?
I tried to search but did not find anything on 'refreshed Scorpio'.
Here you go

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...li-launch.html
Old 31st May 2012, 07:06   #163
BHPian

I had been to Concorde Motors yesterday to check out nano fro my wife, while in the conversation with sales exc. He said Strome will be available from late June or early July. He also said the current Safari will be sold at around 7L but with the 120bhp engine that is used in Sumo Grande. I am not sure how far he's correct he said old safari will be in two varient LX and EX and the Strom LX will be priced 50K to 80K over the old Safari EX which is around 9L.

Does producing extra 20bhp cost 1L Rs?
Old 31st May 2012, 12:31   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
I had been to Concorde Motors yesterday to check out nano fro my wife, while in the conversation with sales exc. He said Strome will be available from late June or early July. He also said the current Safari will be sold at around 7L but with the 120bhp engine that is used in Sumo Grande. I am not sure how far he's correct he said old safari will be in two varient LX and EX and the Strom LX will be priced 50K to 80K over the old Safari EX which is around 9L.

No, there is more than that probably which you missed out when you saw the blink & miss you upgrade of the exteriors. The chassis is new (modified/ shortened Aria chassis), ride is better, gearbox is new, engine seems worked on to make it more refined & so on. I think it is just for the Storme, but Safari with 120 bhp... I do not agree.
Old 31st May 2012, 13:14   #165
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
He also said the current Safari will be sold at around 7L but with the 120bhp engine that is used in Sumo Grande. I am not sure how far he's correct he said old safari will be in two varient LX and EX and the Strom LX will be priced 50K to 80K over the old Safari EX which is around 9L.
I kind of like this idea. Maybe the intent is to let the old Safari gain a wider market-share and getting into competition with the M2Di Scorpio while being easily more refined and an awesome price point.

Quote:
Its the other way around. Reducing 20 bhp saves you 1L
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks