Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2012, 11:43   #121

re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

The improvement in overall quality seems quite appealing as this was one area that TATA motors had to really work on. But I personally feel that in terms of exterior design TATA could have done better !
Old 14th May 2012, 11:49   #122
BHPian

Thank you ,Lukeskywalker, for the great review and the photos. I quite like the looks of the Storme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I think something like a relaunch of the Tata Seirra 4X4 with a dicor engine, better interiors and a slightly modernized exterior should kill the likes of the EcoSport or Duster. Tata are you listening?
That is a thought. I fully agree.
noidea is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 12:06   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I think something like a relaunch of the Tata Seirra 4X4 with a dicor engine, better interiors and a slightly modernized exterior should kill the likes of the EcoSport or Duster. Tata are you listening?
Its as much forgotten as a Standard2000.

Hopefully Tata are listening and sensing the pulse. Sierra 4x4 with 2.2 engine would be so much tempting. But, the greenhouse and big glass area was what a put-off for most of the buyers then (nothing to takeway Tata image that time, which contributed to large extent as well)

Having personally witnessed and greased my hands on Sierra and Estate in the workshop when they were still new borns, I must say, Tata has a great product, if only its planned revived in smooth manner.
Old 14th May 2012, 13:45   #124
Senior - BHPian

I see a lot of folks on the thread asking for a 2 din system, Why exactly?!

As far as I know a single din is as good as a two din unless the unit has a built in cd storage (which no one wants anymore) or needs a large lcd display/touch screen etc.. which cant be afforded on such a product.

The only other reason is an aesthetic one. Personally I would prefer a slot where I can buy my own player rather than a factory fitted one.

Maybe its the in thing having a built in 2 din centre console!!
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 16:58   #125
BHPian

Excellent Review LukeSkywalker! I read the review without seeing who wrote it and I actually thought its an official review from T-BHP. Great attention to detail!

The storme is in no way a looker like the current safari (my biggest grouse being the spare wheel taken off from the tail!). Now, for a car that is going to be priced beyond the current safari, the equipment level is bare minimum. No Climate Control, No lock/unlock button on the key, and not even steering mounted audio controls.
veyron_head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 09:28   #126
BHPian

I wonder if the Tata personnel were bluffing when they commented on both Safari and Storme co-existing and about pricing it between current Safari prices and Aria. Why do I feel like that?

1. Storme also apparently has an LX variant. Where will this fit in?
2. Tata might have improved the quality, but have skimped big time on equipments, even on the top variant. Surely they cannot ask a premium just by not making the car niggle free (since that is expected of any manufacturer and any product in the first place)
3. What will they achieve by having both Safari and Storme together? It'll only lead to more confusion in customers' mind and with the paltry volumes that the Safari line does, don't think they can afford to have cannibalization within the product line.

Ideally, they should be at the least, matching the Storme's price with that of the existing Safari, if not lower!
Old 15th May 2012, 10:56   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
I wonder if the Tata personnel were bluffing when they commented on both Safari and Storme co-existing and about pricing it between current Safari prices and Aria. Why do I feel like that?

1. Storme also apparently has an LX variant. Where will this fit in?

3. What will they achieve by having both Safari and Storme together? It'll only lead to more confusion in customers' mind and with the paltry volumes that the Safari line does, don't think they can afford to have cannibalization within the product line.
The Safari already seems overpriced compared to its nearest competitor, the Scorpio. Given its old school roots (side facing last row!), it cannot be priced near the XUV. Somehow the Storme seems to be getting into a no-mans land if it is priced higher than the Safari.

The way forward would probably be to offer only the LX and EX versions on current Safari with a price cut. Along with this, offer all the 4 variants (LX, EX, GX and VX) on the Storme. Tata would analyse the sales pattern after a couple of quarters. The market would decide which variants will survive, rather than the marketing team forcing a variant-mix.
Old 15th May 2012, 13:44   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
The Safari already seems overpriced compared to its nearest competitor, the Scorpio. Given its old school roots (side facing last row!), it cannot be priced near the XUV. Somehow the Storme seems to be getting into a no-mans land if it is priced higher than the Safari.
How is the Safari overpriced compared to a Scorpio?!

Scorpio has a front facing third row, cramped but far more usable than the Safari's two stools i agree, but the biggest benefit of owning a Scorpio is that it is more reliable than a Safari.

But if you have driven both cars you will understand that the Safari is a far superior SUV in every other aspect. It handles a lot better (which isnt saying much), looks better, is safer, better off road, has far more spacious and comfortable two rows of seating.......

So theres reason why its more expensive than a Scorpio.

That said I completely agree that the Storme cannot be priced anywhere near the XUV, which is a far more contemporary and desirable vehicle. But lets not forget the base 2 wheel drive XUV is easily 12lacs+ on road and upto 15 lacs for the top variant.

This leaves a gaping hole below the 11 lacs where one does not have a decent SUV option, well at least not so far!! The Eecosport and Duster are far smaller vehicles despite being rumoured to be priced closer to 10 lacs.

Storme has to play the VFM card, if Tata does this along with improved handling and braking, better interiors and (fingers crossed) better reliability this can be a very competent SUV in the sub 10 lacs bracket.
Old 15th May 2012, 16:15   #129
BHPian

Storme WILL play vfm card. If anything Tata has learned from Aria failure is that you should always get the price right! But still i think tata could have done a better job with the storme. Everyone was so excited about a safari sequel.

Last edited by ethan3686 : 15th May 2012 at 16:16.
Old 15th May 2012, 17:16   #130
BHPian

Good to note that they have worked on improving the interiors, even though I feel it is not a giant leap forward.

The dead pedal is something that could have come by, in addition to the improvement they've done in the turning radius.

Thanks for the great review. For owners of the current version, this indeed is a lot of valuable information.
Old 15th May 2012, 17:51   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I see a lot of folks on the thread asking for a 2 din system, Why exactly?!....
Coz, its quite convenient!. It can be used as a screen for your dvd/audio player, reverse cam and nav guide.

Even I would prefer to put in a player of my choice rather than letting TML decide that for me, but looking at the center console on the Storme, I don't see how they can offer a 2-din (or even an option for it) now - so close to the launch! They would need to move the ac controls or extend and use the area below the 1-din player. From the looks of it, it'll be difficult to reach while you are driving. Luke can comment further on this if it is indeed so, since he has actually been in a Storme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686 View Post
Storme WILL play vfm card. If anything Tata has learned from Aria failure is that you should always get the price right! But still i think tata could have done a better job with the storme. Everyone was so excited about a safari sequel.
People are still excited/interested. Atleast till the prices are declared!

Absolutely agree with you. Every one was super excited about the Aria, but look what happened when they finally launched it!
I sincerely hope they don't repeat this blunder. For their own and consumer's good!
Old 15th May 2012, 19:33   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
From the looks of it, it'll be difficult to reach while you are driving. Luke can comment further on this if it is indeed so, since he has actually been in a Storme.
It is slightly higher than in the current Safari, not so difficult to reach for and like the Tata folks mentioned "the CD can be now ejected when in third gear".

Quote:
Absolutely agree with you. Every one was super excited about the Aria, but look what happened when they finally launched it!
I sincerely hope they don't repeat this blunder. For their own and consumer's good!
I'm sure they are looking at the pricing as they have burnt their fingers on the Aria, also, I hope they are reading the feedback here.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 22:26   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
I hope they are reading the feedback here.
I am sure of that too.

A tricky question for you, not sure if you have driven a Fortuner but how would you compare Storme to a Fortuner. Features and Spec wise its got enough and more as compared to Fortuner but its the drive, position and levels of QC that i am more interested in.
Old 16th May 2012, 16:51   #134
BHPian

Tata Still stuck with the Safari having a Single DIN Tape is too bad . Every manufacturer has moved on from that. I remember the Scoprio launched in 2007 with a 2DIN system. To add to that there is no integrated Key . My Friends bolero had this with a flip open key in 2006 Itself. To add to that the bulkiness of Safari.

I did like the new head lights and the Dual Exhaust Pipes.
Old 16th May 2012, 18:11   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSOPS View Post
Tata Still stuck with the Safari having a Single DIN Tape is too bad . Every manufacturer has moved on from that. I remember the Scoprio launched in 2007 with a 2DIN system. To add to that there is no integrated Key . My Friends bolero had this with a flip open key in 2006 Itself. To add to that the bulkiness of Safari.

I did like the new head lights and the Dual Exhaust Pipes.
At a minimum they can move the HU above and the AC controls below to where the HU is. that should not be difficult to do.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks