Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 11:12   #91
Team-BHP Support

re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post

Yours is a V6 na? anyways its got oodles of torque. May be it didnt show up on your car.
But then I have never driven a Car with a CAI so....But I can vouch for the SRI typhoon sounds kickass and works too.
It is a V6. Infact I had read that SRI improves top end and CAI the bottom end. But leaving what I read aside, in the months when it does not rain I use the CAI, and I feel an increase in bottom end torque. In the monsoons, I use the SRI so no water gets sucked in, and there seems to be a bit less torque because the rubber band effect of the A/T is more pronounced.
Old 4th October 2012, 12:27   #92
BHPian

You will not be able to install headers on the civic

As the head is integrated onto the engine
You can go in for a performance exhaust (or just get the cat con removed) that according to user reviews on the forum like GTO/Dinu help increase the low end and improve city drivability significantly
Old 4th October 2012, 13:46   #93
Senior - BHPian

Guys, small hiccup. The owners are back from abroad and now they say that the REMOTE KEY is lost.
How do I go about this? Isn't it the responsibility of the owner or broker to replace the remote key for me? It costs 6k to replace it, which is not a small amount.
As of now, I operate with only one key.
I have contacted BrokerDalal and told them that the key has to be replaced, either by the owners and if the owners don't budge, then BrokerDalal has to replace it.
Awaiting their reply by evening. Will post here. I hope they get the key done for me without any bad blood between us since everything else has gone down smoothly with them.

THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE TAKEN THE CONTACT DETAILS FOR BROKERDALAL FROM ME VIA PM OR EMAIL KINDLY REFRAIN FROM DEALING WITH THEM UNTIL I SORT OUT THE ISSUE WITH THEM AND AM SATISFIED WITH THE WAY THEY SORT THIS MATTER AMICABLY.
Old 4th October 2012, 19:50   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
As of now, I operate with only one key.
As far as i recollect civic comes with three keys.
1) with remote
2) without remote
3) known as valet key (grey/white colour plastic part of the key)( don't remember as i have misplaced this key)

It should be mentioned in the manual. I don't have the manual right now as the car is in garage for front suspension work.

Try to get this key too. Atleast you should have one spare key.
Old 4th October 2012, 21:12   #95
Senior - BHPian

Guys, BrokerDalal has been extremely cooperative. After I spoke to them in the morning, I got a call within a few hours from a guy saying that he has been assigned the job to make the remote key for me. I was pleasantly surprised. Also got the SMS from BrokerDalal telling me that I can get the key done there and pay as much as I felt like, and the rest would be borne by the company. I am very thankful to BrokerDalal for getting the original key done for me without any fuss. I am impressed.
Went to a place called KEY MASTER at Andheri and got the key made. Very professional guys.
Making the key was no issue, but programming was. Since the OBD port was covered by the Illusion Audio Horn under the steering wheel. They opened the screws and attached the unit. I noticed it was a SILCA unit (which is in collaboration with Minda, India) which is the OFFICIAL unit used even by Honda to assign the keys and program them. He put in the old key and then the new one and had to follow a sequence after plugging in the unit to the OBD port and voila!! Within 10 minutes the KEY sign stopped flashing on the dashboard and the car started up with the new key. The Key is genuine and has a quality feel to it.
I was happy with the job and left 2k there with the key guy. The rest will be borne by BrokerDalal. I am happy, and I am sure they were happy I paid some amount of the money.

Thanks once again, BrokerDalal. I am very lucky to have bought a car from you guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-121004_0016-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-121004_0017-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-121004_0018-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-121004_0019-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-121004_0020-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-121004_0021-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-121004_0022-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-121004_0023-hdtv-1080.jpg  

frankmehta is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 09:38   #96
Senior - BHPian

Wow did you get the second key with a remote too? That's cool.I am surprised that non HASS can make the duplicate key so easily.I thought that one has to approach only a Honda showroom to make a duplicate one and that the procedure is cumbersome and time consuming.A new key with 10-15 mins is well interesting.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 10:21   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Wow did you get the second key with a remote too? That's cool.I am surprised that non HASS can make the duplicate key so easily.I thought that one has to approach only a Honda showroom to make a duplicate one and that the procedure is cumbersome and time consuming.A new key with 10-15 mins is well interesting.
The earlier owner had misplaced the key with the remote. I tell you, even I was surprised when I got a call saying they will make the second key by scanning the ECU. For a few seconds I thought the man could be conning me, but when I went there and saw the Silca machine, I was convinced.
They are professional guys and they said they do other programmable keys as well.
This one is going into the Team Bhp Mumbai directory FOR SURE!
frankmehta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 15:12   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks once again, BrokerDalal. I am very lucky to have bought a car from you guys.
Hello Frankmehta,

Good to know that your Car BrokerDalal arranged to make a Duplicate key for you. My experience with User Car Dealer in this regard has been bad. I bought a Used Car in March 2012 & I was told by the Dealer that duplicate key is with otiginal owner & he will hand it over once registration of car is transferred to my name.

I trusted him, paid him full amount & took delivery of the Car (my mistake here, I should have kept atleast Rs. 5,000 pending). Ultimately the duplicate key was never delivered to me & upon enquiring with Key Masters & others, the new Maruti remote lock cannot be duplicated. Only the key will be duplicated but the remote can be issued only by the Company (Maruti), as there is transmitter inside remote lock & cannot be duplicated by them.

Anyways good to see that your pre-worshipped Civic is running butter smooth on CNG. Infact I was recently thinking of switching to Diesel Car, but after reading your thread, I am now more inclined towards buying a used Car with large boot & installing a CNG kit.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 21:23   #99
BHPian

I got a key made for my civic last month here in delhi.
I paid 4.5k for the whole process.
He took about half an hour to 45 mins for the job.
The guys seemed really professional and friendly.
They gave me a key which looked exactly like the original key,No prints no sticker.

You were lucky for getting the task so easily.
It took me about 6-8 months searching for a guy here in delhi

I too have a 2007 Civic S AT, with 100k on the ODO, looking forward for a long term report on your CNG conversion.

Did i see 200 buck for 100km ?
Thats just about 20% of what i pay for the same

By the way congratulations on your new ride, Welcome to the civic club.
satyamkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 21:32   #100
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the successful install frank.

Looks like I will also get the same guy to install CNG in my accord.
Few years back when I wanted him to install sequential kit in Baleno , he gave me lot of crap about it but seems to have learned new things now.

Wanted to ask you why one of the pipe doesn't have a clamp to it, one next to gas out line( is it some kind of drain line?). Some of the wire bundles are rubbing over the clamps, better to move them a bit and tie-wrap it to avoid chaffing later on.
gigy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2012, 21:35   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See photos below. They will explain a lot.

As for the cost of the kit, I paid 58k all inclusive (with RTO fees too)
The kit can be procured for 53k with a 10 kg cylinder, 56k with a 14 kg cylinder and 58k with a 16 kg cylinder. We opted for the largest and lightest one.
First of all, thanks a ton for the detailed write-up of the conversion process and the detailed photographs. How I wish Chennai had the necessary CNG infrastructure in place? You have shown us all a way of enjoying the pleasures of driving a Civic, that too at an unbelievably frugal cost. As Sumeet stated, you will be recovering the cost of installation of the CNG kit in a year or two at max.

It's bad that the owner did not give you the remote key as promised. Nevertheless, it was a good gesture by the dealership to get the remote key done for you. It seems they are a really pleasing company to deal with. Kudos to them! I am surprised that Honda's remote keys can be so easily replicated outside. I thought only HASS can do that (I wanted one for my car and HASS quoted 6K for it).

Rated this thread a truly-deserving 5 stars.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 02:32   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post

Did i see 200 buck for 100km ?
Thats just about 20% of what i pay for the same

By the way congratulations on your new ride, Welcome to the civic club.
Thanks mate. Yes, you heard right. 200-230 rupees for 100 km depending on the traffic. Today I drove through 3 hours of traffic with the car on, AC on and audio system running continuously and covered just 10 km in that much time.
Tripmeter odo showed 90 km and had two lights showing. Went to fuel up. She took in almost 8 kilos of gas. That's about 270 odd rupees of gas. STILL, consider it. 3 rupees a km. In the WORST case scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Congrats on the successful install frank.

Looks like I will also get the same guy to install CNG in my accord.
Few years back when I wanted him to install sequential kit in Baleno , he gave me lot of crap about it but seems to have learned new things now.

Wanted to ask you why one of the pipe doesn't have a clamp to it, one next to gas out line( is it some kind of drain line?). Some of the wire bundles are rubbing over the clamps, better to move them a bit and tie-wrap it to avoid chaffing later on.
Thanks Gigy, yes that guy gives too much gyaan for free. What pipe you talking about?? Please put a photo with a marking.
And which wire bundle you talking about??

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
First of all, thanks a ton for the detailed write-up of the conversion process and the detailed photographs. How I wish Chennai had the necessary CNG infrastructure in place? You have shown us all a way of enjoying the pleasures of driving a Civic, that too at an unbelievably frugal cost. As Sumeet stated, you will be recovering the cost of installation of the CNG kit in a year or two at max.

It's bad that the owner did not give you the remote key as promised. Nevertheless, it was a good gesture by the dealership to get the remote key done for you. It seems they are a really pleasing company to deal with. Kudos to them! I am surprised that Honda's remote keys can be so easily replicated outside. I thought only HASS can do that (I wanted one for my car and HASS quoted 6K for it).

Rated this thread a truly-deserving 5 stars.
Thanks a lot for the kind words!! Yes, the company I bought the car from is a good, transparent outfit and they deal in nice, clean cars.
As for the key, trust me, they used the same tools that HASS would use. Only for 65% of the cost. Actually, for a change, HASS is not THAT expensive for the key.
And the CNG conversion, yes, I do have something like that in mind. To recover the fuel costs in about one year. I shall do the math:
Quote:
On Petrol she does 7kmpl. If I do 1500 km a month, I fill about 200 litres of Petrol @ 75 rupees per litre---> Rs. 15000 a month.
On Gas she does 15 km/kg. If I calculate in the same way, I fill about 100 kgs. of Gas @ 33 rupees per kg---> Rs. 3300 a month.
A cost differential of almost Rs. 10000 a month (I have calculated a little less since the car starts up on Petrol and on an average it uses 2 litres a week. EVEN at that rate, I recover the costs of the kit within 6 months.

An update about the car, people.
  • The car idles JUST like she does on Petrol. No fluctuant RPMs, does not even skip a beat. The only giveaway is the slightly coarse, almost muted diesel like (but not loud) engine note. Changeover from Petrol to CNG JUST cannot be noticed. I tried very very hard to hear/feel/see a jerk. Nothing!!
  • Got her some pretty sweet looking beige, suede floor mats and also had the Xenons fitted today. They light up the road like day, as expected. Here are a few photos:
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0325.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0326.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0327.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0328.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0331.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0332.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0333.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0335.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0336.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0339.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0340.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0341.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0324.jpg  

frankmehta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 08:35   #103
Senior - BHPian

I have encircled the locations.
With time they tend to stray around and can create problems, as I had faced in my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0195.jpg  

Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0209.jpg  

gigy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 11:43   #104
BHPian

Hey Frank
The Xenon's look neat, Can't make out if they're blinding to incoming vehicles
but if you didn't install projectors, Could you give us a few more details as how much the hid's costed and where you got them installed?(so that I could hopefully look for a similiar place in bangalore)
raghav.carfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2012, 18:40   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
Hey Frank
The Xenon's look neat, Can't make out if they're blinding to incoming vehicles
but if you didn't install projectors, Could you give us a few more details as how much the hid's costed and where you got them installed?(so that I could hopefully look for a similiar place in bangalore)
Thanks. I haven't tested these, this time around, like I did for the Fiesta and I intend to do the same. Don't want to blind traffic for sure and hence have kept the headlight level at it's lowest setting (3 on the leveler)
The HIDs cost me around 7k with fitting. Yes, it's high, and this time around, since I had to pay customs of 3k I am not ordering a kit from abroad again, as there is too much risk involved in transit and quality is similar to what w get in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks