Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2012, 09:36   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

@antz.bin; The exact ratios are. I also thought it was 55 when I first got the car, but then this was posted by a member who picked it up from a review.

Gear - kmph/1,000rpm
1 - 9.89
2 - 17.19
3 - 25.82
4 - 36.63
5 - 50.34
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 16:38   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Guys, small hiccup. The owners are back from abroad and now they say that the REMOTE KEY is lost.
How do I go about this? Isn't it the responsibility of the owner or broker to replace the remote key for me? It costs 6k to replace it, which is not a small amount.
As of now, I operate with only one key.
I have contacted BrokerDalal and told them that the key has to be replaced, either by the owners and if the owners don't budge, then BrokerDalal has to replace it.
Awaiting their reply by evening. Will post here. I hope they get the key done for me without any bad blood between us since everything else has gone down smoothly with them.

THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE TAKEN THE CONTACT DETAILS FOR BROKERDALAL FROM ME VIA PM OR EMAIL KINDLY REFRAIN FROM DEALING WITH THEM UNTIL I SORT OUT THE ISSUE WITH THEM AND AM SATISFIED WITH THE WAY THEY SORT THIS MATTER AMICABLY.
Looks like Brokerdalal was unprofessional in his due diligence and/ or also not disclosing upfront about the lost key. Even though it was resolved it is a bit like slapping ones face and then massaging it better!
Old 11th October 2012, 16:41   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Looks like Brokerdalal was unprofessional in his due diligence and/ or also not disclosing upfront about the lost key. Even though it was resolved it is a bit like slapping ones face and then massaging it better!
+1, but I think the owner left without giving them the key. Anyway, I didn't dissect much into the issue and just took the key. I did have to wait around for long, but eventually I got it.
Old 11th October 2012, 20:11   #139
BHPian

Thats quite some CIVIC. Hearty congrats ! Made a happy CNGhead of you there Frank.

Wish it was as easy as in Mumbai to get CNG in Pune. Untill that time, I am happy to have the Liva GD SP (almost no turbo lag and lighter clutch too)

Drive safe.
the-rare-one is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 18:37   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rare-one View Post
Thats quite some CIVIC. Hearty congrats ! Made a happy CNGhead of you there Frank.

Wish it was as easy as in Mumbai to get CNG in Pune. Untill that time, I am happy to have the Liva GD SP (almost no turbo lag and lighter clutch too)

Drive safe.
Hey!! I have read your thread about the FIRST Liva with Beige interiors. Had been following it till recently.
Thanks for the compliment.
Hey, do you mind telling me where I can find CNG pumps in Pune, when coming from Mumbai?? If I ever plan to go to Mahabaleshwar, I might have to fuel up at Pune. Where will I get CNG on the outskirts?? Without entering the city?
Old 12th October 2012, 18:55   #141
BHPian

Frank,
On the outskirts in pune, I think there are following 3. for the rest you would have to enter pune

1. As soon as the expressway ends (while coming from Mumbai), there is big petrol bunk (Sai expressway) on your right after a km or so. (you would have to take a U turn)
2. 1km away from mumbai bangalore bypass on the road to hinjewadi. (Basically once you see the overbridge of hinjewadi, take a left from the overbridge, take U turn and go over the bridge and further 1 Km down the road on your left)
3. Warje on the main mumbai bangalore bypass(2-3 kms After chandni chowk or better the the chowk from where you take a turn for Lavasa)

Hope this helps

Last edited by malgudi : 12th October 2012 at 18:56.
malgudi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 09:44   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey!! I have read your thread about the FIRST Liva with Beige interiors. Had been following it till recently.
Thanks for the compliment.
Hey, do you mind telling me where I can find CNG pumps in Pune, when coming from Mumbai?? If I ever plan to go to Mahabaleshwar, I might have to fuel up at Pune. Where will I get CNG on the outskirts?? Without entering the city?

Frank a Mum-Pune trip entirely on CNG is an easy task thanks in large to 2 CNG bunks -
No matter where you live in Mumbai , provided you take palm beach road towards Panvel , there is a designated ONGC CNG pump just around a kilometer after palm beach ends on your left while going towards Pune.
Near Pune,once you get off the expressway you will come across this HUGE HP bunk by the name of Sai Service Pump (as mentioned above).
The only headache on this pump is that the pressure of the gauge is not as much as it is in Mumbai hence the fill up is slow and tedious and secondly you can almost ALWAYS expect a loong line of vehicles to fill up CNG at that pump. I have spent 25-30mins on average at that pump each time thanks to the long line and then the tedious fill up process.
Also keep in mind that the Sai Service bunk is on the side of highway that comes towards Mumbai so while going towards Pune you will have to go a few kilometers ahead to find that precious U-turn. Keep your eyes open because if you miss that 1 U-turn it means a further 4-5kms for the next one.
But for this little headache , Mumbai-Pune with CNG has become ridiculously cheap inspite of the E-way toll.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 13th October 2012 at 09:49.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 23:25   #143
BHPian

There is one here at a place called NATA WADI, There is a huge bus depot and outside it there is a CNG pump. Ask any one where is Agriculture college and in the lane the pump is there.
Attached Thumbnails
Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!-cng-pump.jpg  

mmmjgm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 23:38   #144
Senior - BHPian

Will you be able to tell me if the installer removed the manifold for drilling the holes on to it, if you happened to stay around during the process? Does civic have plastic or metallic manifold?
gigy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 23:48   #145
BHPian

@gigy civic has aluminium manifold

and i presume it would had to be removed to drill hole and fit the injectors as space behind the intake is at a Premium.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 01:16   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
+1, but I think the owner left without giving them the key. Anyway, I didn't dissect much into the issue and just took the key. I did have to wait around for long, but eventually I got it.
Good that you got it.

My experience with dealers is that they have only one key and more times than not , this owner gone abroad is all rubbish.

I got a superwhite 2005 Corolla manual from arguably the most trusted pre-owned car dealer here two months back and got two remotes,one non-remote and one valet key plus the warranty booklet etc.

I helped a friend pick up a ltd. edition Corolla 2006 with chrome alloys and side skirts - that was from another dealer and he had only one key to offer.

Frank,if you need a key, go to Krishnaraj Enterprises at Kabootar Khana - very quick service. They even do the VW style key using your existing chip.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 14:42   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Frank,
On the outskirts in pune, I think there are following 3. for the rest you would have to enter pune

1. As soon as the expressway ends (while coming from Mumbai), there is big petrol bunk (Sai expressway) on your right after a km or so. (you would have to take a U turn)
2. 1km away from mumbai bangalore bypass on the road to hinjewadi. (Basically once you see the overbridge of hinjewadi, take a left from the overbridge, take U turn and go over the bridge and further 1 Km down the road on your left)
3. Warje on the main mumbai bangalore bypass(2-3 kms After chandni chowk or better the the chowk from where you take a turn for Lavasa)

Hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Frank a Mum-Pune trip entirely on CNG is an easy task thanks in large to 2 CNG bunks -
No matter where you live in Mumbai , provided you take palm beach road towards Panvel , there is a designated ONGC CNG pump just around a kilometer after palm beach ends on your left while going towards Pune.
Near Pune,once you get off the expressway you will come across this HUGE HP bunk by the name of Sai Service Pump (as mentioned above).
The only headache on this pump is that the pressure of the gauge is not as much as it is in Mumbai hence the fill up is slow and tedious and secondly you can almost ALWAYS expect a loong line of vehicles to fill up CNG at that pump. I have spent 25-30mins on average at that pump each time thanks to the long line and then the tedious fill up process.
Also keep in mind that the Sai Service bunk is on the side of highway that comes towards Mumbai so while going towards Pune you will have to go a few kilometers ahead to find that precious U-turn. Keep your eyes open because if you miss that 1 U-turn it means a further 4-5kms for the next one.
But for this little headache , Mumbai-Pune with CNG has become ridiculously cheap inspite of the E-way toll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
There is one here at a place called NATA WADI, There is a huge bus depot and outside it there is a CNG pump. Ask any one where is Agriculture college and in the lane the pump is there.
Wow, those were some HIGHLY informative posts. I am going to mail these to myself and keep them stored, since you never know when you will need this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Will you be able to tell me if the installer removed the manifold for drilling the holes on to it, if you happened to stay around during the process? Does civic have plastic or metallic manifold?
Aluminum manifold. And no, the installer DID NOT remove the manifold. He was telling me how long it took to make the holes. They generally take an hour to make the holes in a normal car, but the civic engine bay is really cramped around where the manifold is, and they had to calculate exactly where to make the holes and finally, make them. This took them over 4 hours. In his words, "Civic mein injector bithaane ke liye bahut papad belne padte hain!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@gigy civic has aluminium manifold

and i presume it would had to be removed to drill hole and fit the injectors as space behind the intake is at a Premium.
You are right about the space, but in my car they didn't have to take it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Good that you got it.

My experience with dealers is that they have only one key and more times than not , this owner gone abroad is all rubbish.

I got a superwhite 2005 Corolla manual from arguably the most trusted pre-owned car dealer here two months back and got two remotes,one non-remote and one valet key plus the warranty booklet etc.

I helped a friend pick up a ltd. edition Corolla 2006 with chrome alloys and side skirts - that was from another dealer and he had only one key to offer.

Frank,if you need a key, go to Krishnaraj Enterprises at Kabootar Khana - very quick service. They even do the VW style key using your existing chip.
Thanks a lot. I shall keep that in mind. My dealer did a good job getting me the key. They are genuine guys. I am using the remote key right now and it feels awesome handling a brand new key! The touch and feel of new plastic is something else!

Ok, guys, my weekly report. In points again:
  • She has done 1400 km since we have got her.
  • The car is performing exceptionally well. Very smooth, very responsive and always eager to pick up speed. The brakes bleed speed well. No complaints on that aspect.
  • Transmission: This guy needs special recommendation. The civic auto tranny is not difficult to understand, but surely takes a few drives to get used to. CNG + Auto takes even longer, since you need to know when she wants to shift up and down. I have thankfully, got a hang of how EXACTLY to take advantage of this combination. One thing that differentiates the Petrol running from that of CNG is that the pedal requires a firmer push. Now, if you give it a light push on CNG, the car will shift up very quickly and you will cruise at 60 in Fifth gear at a very lazy RPM. Low end in the Civic was always weak, so what you need to do, to overtake is pin your foot down abruptly, once for the tranny to shift down a couple of gears (doesn't take much effort for her to shift down) and WHOOOOOOSH. She just flies!! If you keep your foot still pinned down, she will hold on to the gear. So once she reaches, say, 100, I just lift off for a millisecond and give one more slight dab to the pedal, BAM, she shifts to 4th and then 5th immediately. Driving a Civic Auto on CNG doesn't need telepathic powers. Just a little knowledge on how the AT works and you can really make a joke out of the traffic around you and zip past it on highways. SUPER awesomely convenient and yet, when you need her to show her muscle, you just pin your foot down. Man, it's almost like a toy. And CRAZY addictive. This is probably the reason why I am enjoying long city jaunts these days.
  • Ok, so this brings me to an important point I want to bring up. I have been studying how the transmission shifts up and down in the Civic and have learnt that the 'box does shift through a lot of gears while driving. This means that a CNG Civic with a MANUAL transmission would be tiring to drive. Clutching, shifting, accelerating. Repeating the same. This looks like it will be tiresome. Very. And somehow I feel it would be more so in the Civic due to it's poor low end (inherent issue)
  • My suggestion to anyone buying a Civic to convert to CNG would be to go in for the Auto box and let it do the menial task of shifting up and down it's myriad gears rather than buy a Manual one and lose the convenience aspect of it since they have to shift down so many times.
  • Airconditioning is a revelation every time I sit inside. Today, the gauge was showing the outside temperature as 38 degrees and I had set the AC to 25. My hands wrapped around the steering wheel almost became numb if kept at one place for too long. CHILLED blast of air. Really cooling the entire cabin!! Have got the cooling coil replaced with an original Keihin one and had the full unit serviced at Royal AC, Babulnath. The unit is performing exceedingly well and every possible passenger complains about how cold it gets at the back.
  • The tyres: Not satisfied with their handling, nor the noise, nor the cushioning. The tyres are 43 k and 5 years old. They are now showing their age. With the ICE on, it doesn't matter, but with it off, the noise is quite intrusive. I keep the front pressure at 27 for city and 29 psi for long drives all around. The bumps are not cushioned very well and there are 2 or 3 loud annoying rattles in the car. One from the passenger door and the other from the rear. The last one is near the driver's A-Pillar. Pissing off, to say the least. I need a 'RATTLES EXPERT' soon guys.
  • Average:
  • Just yesterday I did 64 km and filled 250 rupees of gas!!
  • Today Dad did 45 km and filled 150 rupees of gas!!
  • Then went to the pump and found out that there was MIXED gas being filled in the cars since 2 days. They say that it's done to clean the storage tanks that hold CNG and is done on a periodic basis. Apparently some LPG is mixed into (or similar gas) and helps to clean their high pressure systems. They say it makes the car drive better and burns well. TOO well, actually. The average dropped to almost 1/2 of what it generally gives. After Dad got the car back today morning he fueled up at another pump after which I left for a 100 km drive again, to Thane. The car drove SUPERBLY and gave me my fantastic original average:
  • 100 km and filled Rs. 218 worth of gas. (Phew!)

Great average, great drive, very comfortable and extremely convenient.

I urge everyone who is looking for a used car to give a Civic + CNG Kit a hard look. You can't go wrong with it!!!

Last edited by frankmehta : 14th October 2012 at 14:50.
frankmehta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 17:43   #148
BHPian

Quote:
[*]My suggestion to anyone buying a Civic to convert to CNG would be to go in for the Auto box and let it do the menial task of shifting up and down it's myriad gears rather than buy a Manual one and lose the convenience aspect of it since they have to shift down so many times.
[*] Have got the cooling coil replaced with an original Keihin one and had the full unit serviced at Royal AC, Babulnath.

I urge everyone who is looking for a used car to give a Civic + CNG Kit a hard look. You can't go wrong with it!!!
This was exactly what I thought, buying an automatic and converting to CNG takes the headache off from keeping the car in required powerband, I think the autobox does this job pretty well.
Why replacement of cooling coil, was the ac not cooling to the extent, also what was the price of cooling coil.
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 00:16   #149
Senior - BHPian

I wonder how they manage to keep the metal bur out of manifold during the drilling and fitting process if it's not removed.
Old 16th October 2012, 01:52   #150
Senior - BHPian

Minor update:
The Xenon kit is acting up. One of them (the bulb installed on the right side) is working intermittently and I need to show it to the Electrician. Must be a loose contact but safety must never be compromised.
Yesterday I saw an oncoming Civic with a Xenon kit installed in it's high and low beams (without projectors) and the horrible fellow kept both on even while traversing a narrow lane. Struck me whether even my Xenon kit (which is on the low beam alone, but still) blinds oncoming traffic. I am giving serious thought to removing the kit and keeping it aside until I can get a good set of projectors into the headlights. In fact, if I wake up in the right state of mind tomorrow itself, I might just get the kit removed and upgrade the present halogen bulbs to a 130/100 Philips Rallye bulb setup with a separate relay.

Your views on this will be highly appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks