Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2013, 11:42   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Frankmehta's Practical Workhorse: Honda Civic AT CNG. EDIT: Sold!

I am glad my thread was of help. The reason why I made such a big noise about a CNG Civic is that it's one of the most practical ways to get around. In comfort and with heaps of style. I still manage to enjoy the car a lot, and the best part is it's running costs.
If you do get the car, do post a thread. I want more people to reap the benefits of CNG in the city and short highway jaunts as diesel prices are going up and petrol is almost unaffordable for many.
Old 18th January 2013, 13:12   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I want more people to reap the benefits of CNG in the city and short highway jaunts as diesel prices are going up and petrol is almost unaffordable for many.
Hello Frank,

Appreciate your noble & practical thought and your efforts over putting up this thread & all the possible updates.

But after yesterday's Diesel Price correction news, one thing is very clear, if one wishes to save fuel costs & enjoying driving in city - CNG is the only pratical option.

Diesel Cars were never a pratical option for people with usage of less than 1000 kms per month. Now for those who have still bought Diesel hatchbacks to negotiate city driving costs, diesel cars will be more costlier to drive & per kilo meter costs will come at par with Petrol cars in 15 - 18 months.

Thus CNG is the only option for those to want reap benefits of massive saving in fuel costs & at the same time continue driving on city roads.

Thanks once again for opening our eyes,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 21:35   #288
BHPian

Hello Frank,

My friend had been considering a sequential kit for his '06 Accord for quite a while now. He read your experience here and decided to go with Suraj Autogas.

It cost him about the same as you've mentioned. There were a few teething issues, but Mr. Arun was extremely helpful. Initially the car wouldn't cross 130kmph post fitment. Also the kit would make a certain whining noise during initial pickup which Mr.Arun said would go away after ~500 kms.

2000kms later (which were crossed very quickly) the car was given for tuning again. The whining noise persisted and Mr. Arun promptly changed the part.
The car is no longer stuck at a speed on 130 and is now noise free.

In the city the car gives about 120kms to a tankful (~9.5 - 9.75 kgs). On 2 trips to Amby Valley, the car has gone 200kms each time before CNG has run out.

Overall his average cost has come down from Rs.12 per km to Rs.2.75 without any noticeable drop in performance. He now uses the car as his daily driver rather than as a weekend/night car that it was all this while.
skyline_r34 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 12:21   #289
BHPian

@Frank, thanks for taking the time to respond to my queries, I will be doing the CNG fitting after the Republic day weekend, your threads and detailed research have been the inspiration behind that decisions, so thanks again and kudos. As someone said up above, you're probably part of the reason so many people go in for CNG :-p

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline_r34 View Post
Hello Frank,

My friend had been considering a sequential kit for his '06 Accord for quite a while now. He read your experience here and decided to go with Suraj Autogas.

It cost him about the same as you've mentioned. There were a few teething issues, but Mr. Arun was extremely helpful. Initially the car wouldn't cross 130kmph post fitment. Also the kit would make a certain whining noise during initial pickup which Mr.Arun said would go away after ~500 kms.

2000kms later (which were crossed very quickly) the car was given for tuning again. The whining noise persisted and Mr. Arun promptly changed the part.
The car is no longer stuck at a speed on 130 and is now noise free.

In the city the car gives about 120kms to a tankful (~9.5 - 9.75 kgs). On 2 trips to Amby Valley, the car has gone 200kms each time before CNG has run out.

Overall his average cost has come down from Rs.12 per km to Rs.2.75 without any noticeable drop in performance. He now uses the car as his daily driver rather than as a weekend/night car that it was all this while.
Thanks for your friends experience, Mr Arun asked me to get other people to give me inputs as well on their experiences .
Anghammarad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 16:26   #290
BHPian

Just an additional query @ Frank.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-8l-tsi-3.html On this thread, Mr Punit Kakri mentions a friend of his having issues with the switch over from CNG to Petrol, with the car stalling occasionally.
Have you ever had something like that happen?
Starscream said it might have occurred due to the open-loop system as opposed to the sequential kits, but I figured I would ask you anyways.
Thanks again.
Old 24th January 2013, 17:12   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
@Frank, thanks for taking the time to respond to my queries, I will be doing the CNG fitting after the Republic day weekend, your threads and detailed research have been the inspiration behind that decisions, so thanks again and kudos. As someone said up above, you're probably part of the reason so many people go in for CNG :-p
Thanks for your friends experience, Mr Arun asked me to get other people to give me inputs as well on their experiences .
Thanks for all the kind words. Best of luck with the fitting. Just let me know if you need any assistance. Mr. Arun will help you out if something is required.

Quote:
Just an additional query @ Frank.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-8l-tsi-3.html On this thread, Mr Punit Kakri mentions a friend of his having issues with the switch over from CNG to Petrol, with the car stalling occasionally.
Have you ever had something like that happen?
Starscream said it might have occurred due to the open-loop system as opposed to the sequential kits, but I figured I would ask you anyways.
Thanks again.
No issues at all with a sequential injection system. In fact, I am yet to feel a switchover from petrol to CNG since the conversion has been done. There is no jerk, no drop in RPM nor any stalling. I do feel a change in the engine note (becomes slightly coarser) but that's about it.
This characteristic you mention above is a pure example of a conventional CNG conversion.

GUYS, I have just discovered a new party trick with the car. Actually, it's an old one but I don't know why I was not up for it earlier.

SO here's the thing. I have ALWAYS desisted from using 'S' mode on the gearbox since I kinda let the gearbox do the shifting and I was not very keen on shifting gears via the Paddles because it always distracted me and I paid too much attention to the RPM and thought I would rear end someone.
Anyway, so since the last 2 days i have discovered a 'DIESEL like' locomotive torque wave in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears from 3500 rpm all the way to 5200 rpm. The reason why I never experienced it earlier was because I would always be in D mode which would not cross 3500 rpm in all gears unless my foot was pinned to the floor. That was acceleration of a different kind. BUT THIS!! Man!! This is something I didn't expect from a CNG car. This 'WHOOSH' is similar to the "VTEC JUST KICKED IN, YO!" kind of videos (youtube them if you don't know what I am talking about) and is SUPER addictive. I put the car in 'S' mode, take off from a signal, wait for it to become 3500 and then WHOOOOOOSH from 3500-5100 the rpm needle just flies. And so does the car. Shift up at 5500, BANG, again I am in the meat of the power band. Shift up again at 5500 and there I am in 3rd, doing 120 kmph before I know it and I still need to shift to 4th. It's very addictive, guys. And I am enamoured by this characteristic. It does distract me a little because I keep staring at the tachometer, but on open roads, this is the s***

I am highly impressed. Try it on your Honda Civics guys.
frankmehta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 10:47   #292
BHPian

Quote:

GUYS, I have just discovered a new party trick with the car. Actually, it's an old one but I don't know why I was not up for it earlier.

SO here's the thing. I have ALWAYS desisted from using 'S' mode on the gearbox since I kinda let the gearbox do the shifting and I was not very keen on shifting gears via the Paddles because it always distracted me and I paid too much attention to the RPM and thought I would rear end someone.
Anyway, so since the last 2 days i have discovered a 'DIESEL like' locomotive torque wave in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears from 3500 rpm all the way to 5200 rpm. The reason why I never experienced it earlier was because I would always be in D mode which would not cross 3500 rpm in all gears unless my foot was pinned to the floor. That was acceleration of a different kind. BUT THIS!! Man!! This is something I didn't expect from a CNG car. This 'WHOOSH' is similar to the "VTEC JUST KICKED IN, YO!" kind of videos (Youtube them if you don't know what I am talking about) and is SUPER addictive. I put the car in 'S' mode, take off from a signal, wait for it to become 3500 and then WHOOOOOOSH from 3500-5100 the rpm needle just flies. And so does the car. Shift up at 5500, BANG, again I am in the meat of the power band. Shift up again at 5500 and there I am in 3rd, doing 120 kmph before I know it and I still need to shift to 4th. It's very addictive, guys. And I am enamoured by this characteristic. It does distract me a little because I keep staring at the tachometer, but on open roads, this is the s***

I am highly impressed. Try it on your Honda Civics guys.
Even I discovered this yesterday! I'm on holiday and drove the car from Mumbai to Karnataka. On the single lane part of the highway and on ghats I had it is S mode and paddle shifting especially on ghats.
Loved it!
You can get this in D mode too if accelerating aggressively, it sticks to the current gear till ~5200 rpm. Very addictive and on cng doesn't make a hole in the pocket too.
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 00:41   #293
Senior - BHPian

I feel like a fool that I haven't used the 'S' mode since the last few months. I now shift to 'S' mode as soon as I see a decent stretch of road and get the iVtec to work it's magic. Every damn time! The mileage doesn't take a hit as 3500-4500 RPM is the most efficient zone of iVtec working (refer video given earlier) and the car delivers a staggering 12-15 km/kg of CNG.
Old 29th January 2013, 00:50   #294
BHPian

@frank and to all car lovers

Do a Italian tune up on your cars on a safe open road once in every 1000kms and your car will remain eager and fuel efficient.
It burns of carbon deposits and make your engine more free-revving and efficient.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 09:53   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Shift up again at 5500 and there I am in 3rd, doing 120 kmph before I know it ...
You can go all the way upto 6500 rpm ! ~ 165kmph in 3rd gear at ~ 6500rpm ! And yes, it is addictive .

PS (standard disclaimer! ) : Please Drive Safely.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 15:31   #296
BHPian

@Frank, Just dropped off my Civic at Suraj Auto to get it CNG-Fitted
Fingers crossed that it does as well as expected.
I shall definitely try out the S Mode, have been using D mode all the time.
Probably have to go over a guide of some sort prior to testing it out or maybe I can do it in BKC late night.
Anghammarad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 17:16   #297
BHPian

Quote:
@Frank, Just dropped off my Civic at Suraj Auto to get it CNG-Fitted
Fingers crossed that it does as well as expected.
I shall definitely try out the S Mode, have been using D mode all the time.
Probably have to go over a guide of some sort prior to testing it out or maybe I can do it in BKC late night.
Which kit are you buying and with what Tank size ? I'm also planning to send my Civic A/T by next week. When are you expected to get the car back ? Pls post the details it will help.
Old 29th January 2013, 17:56   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Which kit are you buying and with what Tank size ? I'm also planning to send my Civic A/T by next week. When are you expected to get the car back ? Pls post the details it will help.
The same kit Frank has, sequential light weight 70 kg Lovato kit.
The car is being fit over the next 2 days and I will be picking it up day after.
You're welcome to come along Auto when I am picking it up and see how it runs if you like.
Don't know how to go about sending Private messages on here but you can send me one with a contact and ill call you back :-p
Other than that I will be posting the details once it's done.
Old 29th January 2013, 20:20   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel like a fool that I haven't used the 'S' mode since the last few months. I now shift to 'S' mode as soon as I see a decent stretch of road and get the iVtec to work it's magic. Every damn time! The mileage doesn't take a hit as 3500-4500 RPM is the most efficient zone of iVtec working (refer video given earlier) and the car delivers a staggering 12-15 km/kg of CNG.

isn't it the 1.5 - 3k range for our Civic engine's(R18A) IVtec range?
Old 29th January 2013, 22:07   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post

isn't it the 1.5 - 3k range for our Civic engine's(R18A) IVtec range?
Hmm, I thought so too based on a t-bhpians experiment with the ivtec solenoid. I'll look up the video once home and a technical doc regarding the R18A and confirm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks