Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:19   #31
BANNED

Re: Replacing the RFTs on my BMW - Good Idea ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
I'm thinking of replacing them. Can anybody guide me if this is a good idea since there isn't a spare tyre?
Replacing the RFTs with normal tubless tires is amongst the most sensible things to do to a BMW in India. It improves the ride, makes the car driveable over long distances by having a tire inflator and a tubeless puncture repair kit with you.

Quite a few Beemer owners have replaced the RFTs with regular tubless tires and are very happy with the change. There is a separate thread on the
"Technical Stuff" forum on this topic.

OT: Mods, can you please move this thread to the "Modifications & Accessories" section or merge it with the BMW tire thread.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:21   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Probably the best "modification" you can do to your beamer. I have tried and tested this on two of my cars and been very very happy with addition comfort levels that regular tubeless give. However my cars did have a wheel well to put a space saver spare wheel kit which I bought when I switched to tubeless. But I havent once used the spare wheel in the past 5 years inspite of having punctures. So you might just get away without a spare wheel if you keep a puncture repair can, this is what I have been supplied with in my Audi that does not have a spare wheel.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:49   #33
Senior - BHPian

These links might be of useful to you:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...320d-help.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-new-ones.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...need-know.html
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 11:10   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Both options have their pros and cons. I have personally experienced the following two incidents with regular tires so I have decided to keep the RFTs for what its worth.

1. Flat tire in the night on a fairly congested city road on the way to some party. I hated changing the tire on that day, luckily I was traveling with a friend so I had company.

2. I had a tubeless tire that was repaired few days ago and the "plug" came off while driving leaving the tire fully flat in a flash. Fortunately, it happened in the city so the speed was moderate otherwise it would have been a disaster.

RFT will have less comfort but I believe most BMW buyers don't keep comfort as their top criteria. I have repaired RFTs just like tubeless tires without any issues. I also bought an extra wheel that I lug around on long trips as a spare.

RFTs are OK. Not having a spare is the real pain.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:52   #35
BANNED

what is the current size on the latest gen ? can one fit 225.50.17 on a e90 3 series that came with 225.45.17 ?
Old 3rd April 2013, 15:24   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Guys

I've driven my 320d approx. 2000 Kms and have now been feeling the rough bumpiness of the run flat tyres quite a lot. I'm thinking of replacing them. Can anybody guide me if this is a good idea since there isn't a spare tyre?

Any first hand experiences would be much appreciated.

Thanks !
What tyre pressure are you running? The RFTs on the F30 are pretty comfy to be honest. Try running 30psi on all 4 and that should help.
Old 3rd April 2013, 19:08   #37
BHPian

Re: My 2013 BMW 320d Luxury Line - Review & Updates (over the 2012 model)

Congratulations Blueebeem on your lovely new F30 in its glamorous blue avatar.

Also very surprised to hear about your not so happy buying experience with your local BMW dealership. I have generally have heard good things about their Delhi/NCR dealerships and people on this forum have also stated repeatedly how the BMW buying experience was a lot better as compared to its 2 competitors.
It is possible that they kind of keep doing this and in most cases get away with fleecing their customers by jacking up the price and then giving discounts !!

Could you please add a few pictures with the interiors lit up.

Cheers
Old 4th April 2013, 10:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

I believe the RFTs on the F30 are the third gen RFTs and are much better than the previous RFTs, which many people complained about. I am not too sure how much better tubeless would be. The air pressure makes quite a difference in both, reducing a point or two may also help.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:12   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
What tyre pressure are you running? The RFTs on the F30 are pretty comfy to be honest. Try running 30psi on all 4 and that should help.
Hi Akshay,

It seems your spot on ! I was running 29 psi on the front tyres. And 30 psi on the back when I bought the car and it was quite comfy, but recently refilled to 32/34 psi as I was driving out station. It seems that tyre pressure has been the real reason for the bumpy ride. Thanks !!

BTW I'm planning to install a similar performance upgrade in my F30 just like yours. Would love to hear the sound of your engine whenever I'm in Bombay next so I can finalise my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post
Congratulations Blueebeem on your lovely new F30 in its glamorous blue avatar.

Also very surprised to hear about your not so happy buying experience with your local BMW dealership. I have generally have heard good things about their Delhi/NCR dealerships and people on this forum have also stated repeatedly how the BMW buying experience was a lot better as compared to its 2 competitors.
It is possible that they kind of keep doing this and in most cases get away with fleecing their customers by jacking up the price and then giving discounts !!

Could you please add a few pictures with the interiors lit up.

Cheers
Hey Baddy

So many of my friends own Beemers and most of them have the same thing to say. That BMW after sales is very good. I guess I'm an unlucky customer who's had to face the brunt. But one of my friends got a BMW couple of weeks back and is facing a similar awful ordeal with BMW. He was committed free accesories worth 20k at the time of delivery but the SA seems to have taken a U TURN on his commitment. So now he's complained to the owner of the dealership and I believe they're giving him those free accesories after a lot of fighting and the same is being deducted from the SA's salary.

Will add pics soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
I believe the RFTs on the F30 are the third gen RFTs and are much better than the previous RFTs, which many people complained about. I am not too sure how much better tubeless would be. The air pressure makes quite a difference in both, reducing a point or two may also help.
Thanks Sandeep. Looks like your suggestion has worked.

--------------------------------

I spoke to the technical assistance at BMW. Guys the only problem seems to be that the tyre seems to be more vulnerable to picking up punctures/pointed objects on the road when the tyre pressure is lower.

So they strongly suggest that I keep my tyre pressure 32/34 on long journeys. Please do share your experience.
Old 4th April 2013, 13:02   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi Akshay,

It seems your spot on ! I was running 29 psi on the front tyres. And 30 psi on the back when I bought the car and it was quite comfy, but recently refilled to 32/34 psi as I was driving out station. It seems that tyre pressure has been the real reason for the bumpy ride. Thanks !!

BTW I'm planning to install a similar performance upgrade in my F30 just like yours. Would love to hear the sound of your engine whenever I'm in Bombay next so I can finalise my decision.
Fill 32psi when travelling on long distances. The rear suspension of the F30 does bounce a bit anyway, and higher tire pressure would pronounce that feeling.

Otherwise in the city 30psi is perfect.

Sure PM me when you are coming to Bombay next.
Old 4th April 2013, 13:25   #41
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase! While I agree that the donut looks like an excuse for a tyre, I would advise you to keep one handy in case you use the car for outstation drives. In one of the threads on runflat tyres you can read about the bad experiences i've had with my X5 and 5 series runflats, and several other people too have had such experiences.

On your experience with the dealer, I think BMW dealers are getting know for such things. You should send a mail to the company informing them of how the dealer tried to swindle you. I recently helped a friend pick up a red 320D sportline. Thankfully the experience was not so bad, although we did later discover that a rival dealer was giving an even bigger discount on a 2013 car.
Old 4th April 2013, 23:31   #42
BHPian

Your car is looking brilliant in that navy blue shade. On any other color, the chrome on the grille looks out of place. The 328i looks much better in that regard. But in this color, it stands out, mate. It adds that little bit of detail into the exteriors and makes it look classy.
Wish you many happy miles on this one!
Cheers
Old 5th April 2013, 13:40   #43
BHPian

Bluebeem, Congratulations on your acquisition.

A quick question: Are all the 2013 trim-levels fitted with sunroof now? IIRC, only 328i came equipped with a sunroof earlier. Or was it 328i and Luxury Line 320d?

Cheers,
Ardy
Old 5th April 2013, 13:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new Beemer. It looks very nice in the dark colour with the tan/orange interiors. After the bad showroom behaviour; driving the car must have been quite a nice experience. The showroom experience shows that even if you pay a premium price for your car, the underlying tactics and attitude remain the same, whatever the company/dealer. You have to keep your eyes and ears wide open if you don't want to get conned.

Enjoy your new car Personally I loved the red colour (in the official review), was it available when you got this car?
Old 5th April 2013, 14:19   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Bluebeem, Congratulations on your acquisition.

A quick question: Are all the 2013 trim-levels fitted with sunroof now? IIRC, only 328i came equipped with a sunroof earlier. Or was it 328i and Luxury Line 320d?

Cheers,
Ardy
Hi Ardy,

Well earlier there were 2 models with a sunroof. 328i and 320d luxury plus. The 320d luxury plus has been discontinued now and a lot of goodies from the luxury plus have been added to the luxury line and sports line now including sunroof, multiple interior lighting options, Bluetooth music streaming, hifi music system etc.
The base model still comes without a sunroof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Congrats on your new Beemer. It looks very nice in the dark colour with the tan/orange interiors. After the bad showroom behaviour; driving the car must have been quite a nice experience. The showroom experience shows that even if you pay a premium price for your car, the underlying tactics and attitude remain the same, whatever the company/dealer. You have to keep your eyes and ears wide open if you don't want to get conned.

Enjoy your new car Personally I loved the red colour (in the official review), was it available when you got this car?
Thanks !

I'm not a big fan of the red colour so never bothered to inquire about it. Not sure if it is available in the luxury line although I'm sure it's available in the sports line and the 328i.

Always wanted the imperial blue since the car launched. Unfortunately the saddle brown interior wasn't available in the imperial blue until march this year hence I had to wait about 6 months to finally get what I exactly wanted
Bluebeem is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks