Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 11:21   #1
BHPian

My 2013 BMW 320d Luxury Line - Review & Updates (over the 2012 model)

Hi Guys,

I just bought a new BMW Luxury Line 320d. After about 4 months of consideration i finally decided to go ahead and book the 320d luxury line. I really wanted to buy the sports line but my dad completely rejected the red stitched interior. Even i prefer the saddle brown interior which isnt available in the sports line.

So my booking experience was a little funny. The Sales executive from BMW had been in touch with me as i'd test driven the car several times. The executive came to my office and gave me the prices of 2 models. The luxury Line 2012 and the luxury line 2013. Since i was booking in March, BMW were offering discounts on the 2012 make but the features upgraded in the 2013 model (see below) cannot be missed. I figured since this is going to be a long term buy i might as well spend the extra buck and get the top of the line features. The BMW 320d Luxury Line was priced at Rs. 32,25,000/- ex showroom ludhiana till 31st Dec 2012. Starting Jan 2013, they introduced the upgraded model with a price tag of 35,50,000/-. The funny thing is, that Mr. Oversmart from BMW very conveniently told us that the 2012 is available at a discount of 3 lacs and itll cost me 32,25,000 after discount. Which means he first jacked up the price by 3 lacs, then gave 3 lacs discount on this. Anyway, so i confronted him and once he knew that i was a well informed customer, i went ahead and booked the 2013 model.

5 Days after booking my car i happened to walk into the BMW showroom because i wanted to see the upgraded 2013 model in person. Surprisingly my sales executive informed me that mine will be a 2012 model. Hearing this was in shock! as i'd paid 3 lacs premium just to get the upgraded 2013 model. On top of this the sales executive told me that when he offered me the price of 2013 model he meant that it'll be a 2012 model which will be billed in 2013. I had to create a little bit of a hue and cry in the showroom before they finally agreed to give me a 2013 model. I got BMW to confirm in writing that they were giving me a 2013 model along with the interior colour i'd ordered(since i didnt trust them anymore).

Although I was informed the car would arrive in 15 days. The car did not arrive in 15. While BMW showroom insisted that it had been dispatched from Chennai 15 days back. But they also insisted that they had absolutely no details of the transporter and therefore could not give me a definite date until one day before it arrived. This seemed very unjustified considering every small parcel today is also traceable by the transporter and that I'd paid 15 lacs advance for the car ! The car arrived in 24 days. It arrived on a Saturday evening and BMW refused to give me delivery on Sunday. I had to take the same route of asking the head of sales as a special request. She got it done. To my utter shock when I reached the showroom on Sunday, there were 3 other customers there to take delivery. Apparently all the drama of the showroom being shut and their inability to deliver on Sunday had been complete nonsense.

The booking experience was not pleasant at all. But this may be purely circumstantial and may not apply to all customers or all showrooms for that matter.

I took delivery of the car and it was all amazing from there on. The drive from the showroom was absolutely splendid. The car glides on the highway and absorbs small potholes and bumps just so well. The Run flats can really be felt if you drive through a large pothole but other than that, this may be the most comfortable bmw under 55 lacs yet.

I also happen to own an F30 luxury line 2012 model. Unfortunately not even BMW sales guys are aware of the updates in the 2013 model so I thought I'd just apprise everybody of the same.

F30 2012 vs F30 2013

1. The first and biggest update (for me) is the fact that BMW is now offering the saddle brown interior option in Imperial blue colour as well as opposed to the previously available black or white cars only.

2. Sunroof : Shockingly there was no sunroof in the 2012 F30s

3. Upgraded Speed Display : The 2013 model is fitted with the same display as the 520d with a digital screen to display the diesel usage, efficient dynamics usage etc. the 2012 model has the old fashioned analog needle going right and left every time you accelerate.

4. Upgraded Music System : The 2013 Luxury Line is fitted with a 9 speaker hifi music system that is far better than the old system.

5. Upgraded Bluetooth Connectivity : The idrive in the 2013 model lets you stream music through Bluetooth (a big relief!) in addition to making and receiving calls. The quality of streamed music isn't as good as the USB connectivity but not bad either.

6. iPod connectivity - Surprisingly even this feature was missing from the 2012 F30 but now you can connect your iPod/iPad/iPhone through USB and have all your music displayed on the idrive screen.

BMW seems to have quietly packed in a lot of newbies in the 2013 upgraded model which has been a splendid surprise.

Comfort : this is by far the most comfortable and spacious car compared to the C class and A4. The new suspension seems to be specially done keeping Indian roads in mind and you certainly don't feel the bumps like you do in the 5 series. The new seats are much softer than the predecessors. The thigh support is excellent. Lumbar support is missing.

The Drive : I did about 3-4 months of research before finally closing the deal on the 320d luxury line. While the C class and A4 are no comparison honestly in terms of the engine punch, drive handling and overall drive experience I decided to stretch my budget a little and try on the 520d and A6 as well. The 520d was not half as exciting as the 320d. Felt more "boat like" with its slow response to the steering. Considering it has the same engine as 320d but a much larger and heavier body, the car was making you feel that everything I'd punch the accelerator. Surprisingly the F30 is more spacious than the 520d as well. The A6 on the other hand while very comfortable (thanks to the air suspension) also didn't pack the punch like the 320d. Moreover one major turn off for car enthusiasts is that Audi was surprisingly giving 4-5 lacs discount on the 2012 manufactured A6 which I didn't like. It seems they were going out of their way to just get rid of the cars.

So yes the drive as you would expect is absolutely sublime. I test drove all the above mentioned cars multiple times. And everytime i found myself looking for that extra punch which only the 320d delivered.

Alternatives considered and their pros and cons.

Audi A-4 :

likes : good comfort , full size donut wheel like any other Indian car, spacious
Dislikes : lousy engine (same as jetta), very very light steering, no Bluetooth connectivity (music streaming)

BMW 520d :

Likes : Lumbar Support, looks, electronically adjustable steering, parking sensors at the front
Dislike : Poor Handling, sluggish pick up and ride. Uncomfortable back seats.

Audi A6 :
Dislike : engine lacks punch, audi uses same engine in passat, Q3. Why would I pay 16-17 lacs more for an engine available in the passat with the same features, huge year end discounts (3-5 lacs). Customers who bought it at regular price are surely regretting.

BMW 320d :

Dislikes :

1. THE STAFF HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO KNOWLEDGE OF THE PRODUCT : After my repeatedly asking the local showroom for a saddle brown interior in an Imperial Blue car, the sales exec was adamant that they would only give me a saddle brown in a white or a black car. I found out the email address for the "head of sales -india" and mailed her requesting her to give me a saddle brown interior in the Imperial blue. She was shocked to know that showroom had refused this as this was a regular offering by BMW. she arranged it for me. It seems the BMW staff wasn't aware that this was available. The staff were also completely unaware of the difference in features between the 2012 and 2013 model. They simple handed me the "features" pamphlet and asked me to go through the same.

2. Behavior of The Sales Staff : BMW sales staff seem to have received special training in keeping the customers in the Dark. I decided to go for the 2013 manufactured model even though they were offering the 2012 manufactured model at a steep discount. BMW informed me that it would take not more than 15 days for the car to arrive and insisted that I pay the margin money (non financed part) at the time of booking. I paid up. 5 days after booking I walked into the showroom and was informed by the sales exec "sir we aren't sure whether you are getting the 2012 model or the 2013 model". He insisted that "sir you will only know whether its the 2012 or 2013 model when it arrives in the showroom" - meaning you'll have to take whatever arrives. I created a huge ruckus in the showroom to be quietly told later that "there's been a mistake at our end we will give you the 2013 model". Wow! Such a shocker considering I'd paid 3 lacs extra only to get the 2013 make.

3. The Delivery timing : Committed Delivery was 15 days, delivered to me in 24 days after a lot of following up and fighting.

4. Little awareness/knowledge of spares : I have called BMW 8-10 times asking them the cost of an extra alloy wheel as I want to keep that instead of the donut. It's been a month and no one has responded. Moreover they have no idea when the donut for the 320d will be available or what it'll cost.

5. Run Flat Tyres : I'd read a lot about the experience of these tyres. Now I can say with absolute certainty that run fiat tyres are a big NO for Indian roads. On high speeds on the highway the tyres seem to make significant noise and are just not as smooth as regular tyres. Moreover the donut wheel isn't available for 2 more months. That's sad.

6. No Cruise Control : 320 d does not have cruise control. It has a speed limiter instead which won't let you go over a certain speed if you switch it on. Useless function unless you plan on keeping a check on kids or chauffeurs. Cruise control is absolutely essential.

Likes : fortunately or unfortunately the likes are limited to the car itself. The BMW staff has done almost nothing to keep the customer happy in my case.

1. The engine - very quiet cabin and absolutely quiet on higher speeds. The car feels like its gliding on the highway. BMW has now put 2 turbos even though power remains same as E90. With the new 8speed gearbox, you feel every bit of those 184 horses. Beautiful drive.

2. The Driving Modes - the 3 driving modes are great and significantly different.
- comfort : this is the default setting. Very light steering and normal gear change ratios. Gear doesn't change below 1800 RPM usually. The downshifts are slow and little jolty.

- Eco Pro : I love this ! The gear changes are frequent and usually around 1400-1500 rpm. The car shuts off each time you stop. And starts automatically when you remove your foot from the the break. The steering is extremely light and engine is at its quietest in this mode. The downside is if you suddenly floor the accelerator it takes a couple of seconds to realise that you're in a hurry and then downshifts with a sudden jolt.

- Sport Mode : This is what puts this car way ahead of competition. The steering becomes significantly heavier. And the gear responses and changes are just so fast and easy. The car responds to quickly to every little push on the pedal.

3. LED Lighting inside : absolutely beautiful! The difference is major. Looks and feels just so premium.

Hope this is useful for anybody who's planning to buy one ! Need I remind you, the F30 is by far the best self driven car ( and the most comfortable ) you can buy under 55 Lacs
Attached Thumbnails
My 2013 BMW 320d Luxury Line - Review & Updates (over the 2012 model)-imag2e.jpg  

My 2013 BMW 320d Luxury Line - Review & Updates (over the 2012 model)-image1.jpg  

My 2013 BMW 320d Luxury Line - Review & Updates (over the 2012 model)-image3.jpg  

My 2013 BMW 320d Luxury Line - Review & Updates (over the 2012 model)-image4.jpg  

My 2013 BMW 320d Luxury Line - Review & Updates (over the 2012 model)-image5.jpg  

My 2013 BMW 320d Luxury Line - Review & Updates (over the 2012 model)-image6.jpg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th April 2013 at 11:25. Reason: Replacing u with 'you'. Please note sms language is not permitted on the forum.
Bluebeem is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 10:25   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My 2013 BMW 320d Luxury Line - Review & Updates (over the 2012 model)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 19th March 2013, 10:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Bluebeem on ur F30.

The imperial blue looks stunning on the BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Surprisingly the F30 is more spacious than the 520d as well.[/u]
Somehow i felt the same when i sat in the back seat of an F10 5 series, so i agree with you on this

PS - Please post some interior pics

Last edited by karan561 : 19th March 2013 at 10:52.
Old 19th March 2013, 12:15   #4
BHPian

Congrats on the fantastic new F30, it looks good really good.
Sales experience is just really poor. I was left really disappointed with my experience too. It's like you have to get the car from these people with so much of difficulty literally kicking and screaming at them, simply worse is the change in attitude once they manage to get the token cheque from you.this is not what you expect when you pay so much.
Either ways the car will never cease to put a smile on your face when you step on the pedal.what about BSI ultimate.
Old 19th March 2013, 12:42   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase, and thank you for a very informative review Bluebeem.

It shows how much you appreciate a good engine, in the way you narrowed down your purchase choices. The new 3 really is a cracker of a car, and a more mature design than the outgoing Bangle-designed 3. Its good that you stayed away from Audi, because the ownership reviews on t-bhp and feedback from audi-owning friends give me the impression that they aren't going to get their act together any time soon.

The behaviour of the dealer is unacceptable, they literally tried swindling you of three lacs. I suggest you name the dealer, for the benefit of customers in Ludhiana to be wary about such tactics when buying a bmw. A strongly worded mail to the sales head explaining how happy you are with the car and yet how the conduct of the dealership has marred your entire sales experience would go a long way towards the dealer straightening themselves out, atleast whenever it concerns you in future.

Coming to the car, many bmw owners replace their run-flats right out of the showroom to mitigate the jarring ride and it does become quite compliant. Have you bought the BMW Service Inclusive and Warranty packages? How does the climate control fair in North Indian summer weather? Looking forward to some interior pictures, congratulations once again on buying into "Sheer Driving Pleasure".
Old 19th March 2013, 12:43   #6
BANNED

Quote:
The 520d was not half as exciting as the 320d. Felt more "boat like" with its slow response to the steering. Considering it has the same engine as 320d but a much larger and heavier body, the car was making you feel that everything I'd punch the accelerator. Surprisingly the F30 is more spacious than the 520d as well.

BMW 520d :

Likes : Lumbar Support, looks, electronically adjustable steering, parking sensors at the front
Dislike : Poor Handling, sluggish pick up and ride. Uncomfortable back seats.
This news is a revelation and if true, I m happy. I ve been eyeing the Beemers for quite some time now and was not very impressed by the 2012 F30 Sportline for its features, interior quality and its price then.

I am, however, a huge fan of the 5's looks and I had high expectations from it. Now that you tell me that the 3 is a better car than the 5 in space, comfort and handling, it feels good, because I can think about affording a new 3.

Let us see if the other Beemer owners agree with your views.
Old 19th March 2013, 12:56   #7
BHPian

Hello Bluebeem,

Congratulations on you new F30 Beemer. The car looks superb in that shade. Please post some interior pictures as well. If possible few interior shots taken from outside with doors open so that we can experience the interior and exterior color combination.
Old 19th March 2013, 12:58   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow what a crisp review!

That F30 must be quite a car. When you say the that this car is the most spacious and comfortable car, it really leaves the options for dead doesn't it? The drive anyway is its strong point.

Very sad to read about your poor sales experience. Why do these guys think that people buying a Rs. 35 lac+ car are fools and can be taken for a ride just like that?

Enjoy the car and drive safe
Old 19th March 2013, 13:23   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey congratulations! Would love to see some interior pictures. And thank you for sharing the 2013 upgrades - such information is always hard to come by!
Old 19th March 2013, 15:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Congratulations Bluebeem on ur F30.

The imperial blue looks stunning on the BMW

Somehow i felt the same when i sat in the back seat of an F10 5 series, so i agree with you on this

PS - Please post some interior pics
Hi Karan

Very very jealous of your 328i. Ive been cravin to drive one of these. Looks stunning ! I always wanted the 18inch wheels on my 320d but I was afraid of the bumpy ride. Which is confirmed by you

Will post interior pics soon.

@abhishek2222 - I agree. The experience is sad. I haven't opted for the BSI package. I don't drive more than 7-8000 kms per year. So even the 60k kms/5 year package was sounding very expensive. The BMW guys also recommended that I only take it if I drive at least 15-18k kms per Annum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motored Mindset View Post

Coming to the car, many bmw owners replace their run-flats right out of the showroom to mitigate the jarring ride and it does become quite compliant. Have you bought the BMW Service Inclusive and Warranty packages? How does the climate control fair in North Indian summer weather? Looking forward to some interior pictures, congratulations once again on buying into "Sheer Driving Pleasure".

I haven't felt the need to replace the tyres at all. The ride quality is excellent. Personally I like a soft ride from all my cars and have got exactly that from my Beemer. Plus considering that I don't have a spare tyre (The donut is just an excuse for a tyre really), I wouldn't want to take the risk of going for regular tubeless tyres as I travel plus out station regularly. I forgot to mention that the seats too are quite soft (way softer than my civic) which kind of absorbs some jerks from bumpy roads.

Havent got a chance to test the climate control yet. The weather is pretty perfect these days in Ludhiana. Just about 16-18 degrees Celsius in the evening when I go out for a drive. So I usually put the sunroof to good use. Will give you some feedback as soon is summer sets in completely. Pics soon!

Note from Mod: Please use the 'Edit' button to add more information to your post rather than creating a new one, if within the posting time period.

Last edited by Stratos : 23rd September 2013 at 03:41.
Old 19th March 2013, 15:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congo Congo.
Quote:
I also happen to own an F30 luxury line 2012 model. Unfortunately not even BMW sales guys are aware of the updates in the 2013 model so I thought I'd just apprise everybody of the same.
WOW. You already own a 2012 model. Then why did you go for the same car?
Old 19th March 2013, 16:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This news is a revelation and if true, I m happy. I ve been eyeing the Beemers for quite some time now and was not very impressed by the 2012 F30 Sportline for its features, interior quality and its price then.

I am, however, a huge fan of the 5's looks and I had high expectations from it. Now that you tell me that the 3 is a better car than the 5 in space, comfort and handling, it feels good, because I can think about affording a new 3.

Let us see if the other Beemer owners agree with your views.
Hi Dev,

The news shouldn't be a revelation. The F30 in every way is more comfortable than the 520d. And of course drives better (no arguments there). Infact my closest friend owns a 520d and even he agrees that F30 is more spacious and more comfortable.

If you didn't like the interior quality in 2012 F30 then you won't like it now either. Neither will you like the 520d then. It's the same materials used. And pretty much the same layout. Except that the F30 interior quality feels a little more premium for some reason. If you're after interior quality then Audi is your baby. Their interior quality remains the best in class. And they have separate buttons for almost every function making you feel like your surrounded with technology. However if engineering and drive is your priority, the 3 series should be a no brainer for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Congo Congo.

WOW. You already own a 2012 model. Then why did you go for the same car?
Hi Pancham,

I should've clarified. My first cousin ( we live in the same house) bought one when it came out. I always wanted the same car. After driving around in his car I was even clearer that I wanted this !

The only problem with his car was the all beige interior which is just so difficult to maintain !!

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th March 2013 at 23:19. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 16:24   #13
BANNED

Great to see an ownership review from someone in the same city.

Congrats on the new Bimmer!!

By the way, I too believe that Krishna Autombiles(the Ludhiana BMW dealer) are a bit oversmart for themselves. After a test drive of an X1, the guy didn't even bother to asked us if we liked it, simply gave us a list of documents that we should keep ready and they would collect in the evening!!
Old 20th March 2013, 09:34   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey congratulations on your bimmer. Its a dream car. Shocked to hear your experience at the BMW showroom. I find it hard to digest the attitude given that it is a luxury offering and they hardly sell a handful of cars in a month comapred to car makers like Maruti, hyundai and Toyota. Still they find it difficult to keep there customers happy?

I didn't understand the dislike part of the A6 regarding the year end discounts. Aren't these discounts available across the line including the almost newly launched F30 too? 3-5L discount has kind of become a norm these days give the slump the industry finds itself in.

Wish you many happy miles with your car.
Old 20th March 2013, 11:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the Beemer. Happy motoring for years to come. I just wanted to check did you by any chance transpose the 3rd pic? The reason being the steering is on the left side rather than the right as in the other pics.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks