Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2024, 20:56   #5596
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Funny thing. Ever since I got the car, I could never get memory seat working. I had seen videos multiple times and tried pressing the SET button and then one of the numbers to store the setting but failed to do so.

Today I realized that all this time, I was trying while sitting on the seat. I tried once after getting down from the car and it worked ! Finally managed to figure this out.
vivek.ks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 22:38   #5597
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fixed the broken AC vent on my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaghp View Post
Suggestion to all owners out there
If you have the stomach to remove the AC vents on your own, I'd suggest that you do it and put tape below it as support. Preventive maintenance, you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Thanks. I'm doing it this weekend. I just never figured how to remove the vent.

Does this click method for removing also work with middle vents.

For my 2019 Octavia, only one flare of one vent is broken. But I would like to fix it! Also some preventive maintenance will not hurt either.
That weekend finally came with NCR hitting 47 deg Celsius. By now, all 10 of the middle vent flares/ louvres were broken.

It wasn't easy to take this out, I almost gave up mid way, but determined to break it, I did eventually manage to pull out the middle vents (they are a single piece). None of the plastic bits could be located so I made new ones using some household materials! and put a tape to support.

I'm not sure, how long will this last, but it sure as hell works well for now.

With this newly found confidence, I'm going to pull out the side vents too and do some preventive taping!

These vents are insanely over-engineered, with small moving parts setup for failure in our extreme weather. (they cost around 12k on boodmo part number 5E0 820 951 C)

Last edited by SLK : 27th May 2024 at 22:41.
Old 28th May 2024, 15:29   #5598
BHPian

Road Trip to Chennai

Sharing the story of my yet another Road Trip to Chennai.

One fine morning, I had a call from Sanjay, one of my school friends seeking my guidance on his sons' admission to Engineering College. In fact, he wanted me to join him for a visit to Chennai.
Though Sanjay was 5 yrs jr to me during our school days, still we have a good rapport through the activities of our beloved Govt Public School- Alumni Association.

I usually prefer a road trip for any long distance, driving in my Octavia. And in fact, I already had a few trips to Chennai in the past. No wonder, I promptly turned down his suggestion of flying together as that honestly isn't my favourite way to travel.
With my due experience, I believe that any challenge on Highways could be comfortably met in the Skoda Octavia, my trustworthy companion that never let me down during any of my numerous journeys I enjoyed over the years.

• My Trustworthy Companion-
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20240521125343.jpg

So I assured Sanjay of a relaxed and comfortable journey in my Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K instead of flying to and fro, to which he nodded might be with some anxiety, which was ought to be vanished later during the course of our journey.

Then the mandatory complete check-up of the car was carried out at Škoda ASSC Kolhapur prior to the proposed trip.

•At Škoda ASSC, Kolhapur -
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20240516143808.jpg

Finally on the 21st May, we left Kolhapur by 11 am for yet another spontaneous adventure drive.

•Somewhere near Davangere -
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20240521155833.jpg

Unfortunately this time throughout the entire journey of 2100 kms to and fro, it was a bit boring and treacherous experience due to a lot of construction work and so many diversions en-route.

Also we came across some horrific traffic congestion for hrs at Tumkur and Hosur road on day 1 but that could not spoil our enthusiasm and felicity of the road trip.

We stayed at the Jain Yatri Nivas of the Parshwa Padmavati Teerth Dham at Krishnagiri for both the nights during this trip. It's located close to the highway on the RHS en-route to Chennai. Our stay at the well maintained divine and serene environment, far away from the noise and crowd of urban locality was quite a refreshing experience for us.

•Breakfast at Jain Yatri Nivas -
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20240523100512.jpg

The next morning while en-route to Chennai, we took a short break for shopping at Ambur, a town well-known for its Leather Goods market. We visited 'Shoe Bazaar' outlet near SBI branch on Netaji Road and spent almost an hr there to purchase some Footwears, Belts and Wallets etc. They have a variety of leather products at much affordable rates if compared to the local market in any big city.

•Quick Shopping at Ambur-
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20240528_144321collage.jpg

Then it was time to hurry up for Chennai where we had to visit the Research Park in the IITM campus first to meet my elder son who is working at AMTDC and then the VIT campus to pick the younger one up for the Summer vacation.

•At IITM Research Park -
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20240523wa0031.jpg

•At VIT Campus -
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-100038327802.jpeg

In Bangalore, we had our lunch along with one of Sanjay's friends at the Platform 65 Restaurant located in RR Nagar. In view of the innovative ambience and delicious cuisine, Platform 65 is definitely a great place to visit with family.
Highly recommended !

By 5pm we left Bangalore for the final leg of 655 kms drive and finally reached home safely late at night. Thus our mission concluded on a safe and successful note on day 3, in fact just within 64 hrs !

•Final leg Driving Data -
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20240524083438.jpg

'Octy' Hai To Mumkin Hai !!

By the way, every solo long drive confers me more energy to attempt for a new adventure of even higher magnitude. And I always believe, the BEST is yet to come.

Cheers

(Disclaimer: I don't have any kind of commercial relationship/ tie up/ understanding either with Shoe Bazaar or with Platform 65 !)

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 28th May 2024 at 15:39.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 17:28   #5599
BHPian

Replacement of DRL under warranty

My car has run just shy of 65 K in less than 5 years. It still pulls like a truck and I still have a smile plastered on my face whenever I sit on the driver's seat, owing to it's excellent driving dynamics.

I had sent my vehicle for 4th annual maintenance last week, which was covered under the maintenance package. I spoke to the SA and informed him that the DRL had turned slightly off-white, though not completely yellow. I was of the opinion that as my extended warranty would expire next year, if the DRL can be changed, I should try my luck. SA told me that he will check all the details and share it with Skoda warranty team for their approval. After the service, my car was delivered back to me, with 'zero' amount bill.

I got the call from SA that my replacement headlamp assembly has arrived, as Skoda team had approved to change it under warranty. My car was picked up by them yesterday noon and delivered it back to me, with brand new HL assembly, today.

I really salute the Gurgaon service centre and Skoda team which processed my request in 2 days flat, with absolutely no follow-ups from my side.
K.grg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2024, 12:22   #5600
BHPian

Hello Guys,

This morning our car came with a series of error messages and flags, with additional resistance on the steering. The car was parked last night with no issues.

Few messages as I could recall were,

1)Error: Park/Pilot
2) Error: Headlight range control
With ABS, ESC and Steering Flag.

Roadside assistance is called for assistance. May I ask, while rat bite is first guess of the ASC personnel, could there be failure of sensors or a major underlying problem ? Can someone help.

Thank you.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th June 2024 at 19:03. Reason: Spacing for readability
Old 2nd June 2024, 16:56   #5601
BHPian

Re: Replacement of DRL under warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.grg View Post
I really salute the Gurgaon service centre and Skoda team which processed my request in 2 days flat, with absolutely no follow-ups from my side.
Which Gurgaon workshop was this? Jai Skoda?
Old 2nd June 2024, 18:11   #5602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itssmano View Post
Hello Guys,
This morning our car came with a series of error messages and flags, with additional resistance on the steering. The car was parked last night with no issues.

Roadside assistance is called for assistance. May I ask, while rat bite is first guess of the ASC personnel, could there be failure of sensors or a major underlying problem ? Can someone help.

Thank you.
First guess is ABS sensor on one of the wheels gone kaput. Costs about 3-4K/ per sensor on the Octy. When the ABS sensor goes, the entire dashboard lights up!
Old 2nd June 2024, 19:41   #5603
BHPian

Thank you Milecruncher. I remember reading a few threads on similar issues and the ABS sensor being the common reason.

Once I get to know the diagnosis, will come back.

Cheers!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th June 2024 at 19:02. Reason: Spacing for readability
Old 6th June 2024, 17:51   #5604
BHPian

Hello Sumesh, Greetings.

Researching about the Errors (Park/Pilot, Headlight etc..) and steering hardness we had in our Octavia 1.8 TSi, i read your post with exact same messages. This occurred last weekend and stands unresolved yet.

How was the issue resolved. ASC in Chennai is conducting a trial and error method, while the error log have gone from OBD (On-Borad Diagnosis), ASC's VAG toolkit has not captured any errors. If you can please advise the repairs carried out on your car and the cost of replacements it can help us.

We will Truly appreciate your inputs. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumesh_Jazz View Post
Hi All,
I own a Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI which I purchased in 2019. The car has completed 4 years and nearly 31,000 kms in Nov-2023. I never had any issues with the car till then and it has been performing extremely well.
Kindly advice is there any way I can diagnose or fix it.

Thanks and Regards,
Sumesh C R

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th June 2024 at 19:02. Reason: Formatting and spacing + trimming quoted post for readability
Old 9th June 2024, 17:20   #5605
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,

Thank you.
This is most likely to a sensor issues, mostly one of the ABS sensors have gone off . I have seen this couple of times in mine. It should around 5K if its an ABS sensor.
Old 11th June 2024, 11:46   #5606
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Sumesh, Greetings.

How was the issue resolved. ASC in Chennai is conducting a trial and error method, while the error log have gone from OBD (On-Borad Diagnosis), ASC's VAG toolkit has not captured any errors.

We will Truly appreciate your inputs. Thanks
Hi,
Sorry for the delayed response. I could not yet send the car to the service centre due to some personal preoccupations. I have been managing my daily commute with another car I am having.

What I have noticed is that all the warning messages in Octavia disappeared from the screen, however the steering continues to be tight which is a concern. I use to take out the car for a very short drive every week to avoid long idling.

I am not sure whether the scan is going to obtain a clear diagnosis. I will update once the repair is done.

Is there any breakthrough in your case.. kindly share.

Regards,
Sumesh
Sumesh_Jazz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 17:02   #5607
BHPian

Thank you guys,
The most common cause (ABS Sensor) is identified to be the problem, one sensor was replaced and tested for normal operation. Will have to wait and see how the other sensor hold up. The failed sensor was replaced under EW.
itssmano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 11:05   #5608
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys,
The most common cause (ABS Sensor) is identified to be the problem, one sensor was replaced and tested for normal operation. Will have to wait and see how the other sensor hold up. The failed sensor was replaced under EW.
Has the steering hardness issue in your car got resolved?
Old 12th June 2024, 16:03   #5609
BHPian

Yes, all of it is attached to the Sensor Failure. Makes sense I guess, makes it safe. I am told the car can be driven and need not be towed right away. Don’t be stranded but drive to your destination but slow down and deposit for service.
itssmano is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 18:42   #5610
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, all of it is attached to the Sensor Failure. Makes sense I guess, makes it safe. I am told the car can be driven and need not be towed right away. Don’t be stranded but drive to your destination but slow down and deposit for service.
Nice to know that the steering wheel issue got resolved. It’s a big relief. Is the service centre mechanic able to identify which wheel sensor has failed with no information on the diagnosis scan? In the absence of this information, will we have to replace all four of them for safety!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks