Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2023, 11:16   #5446
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
Do get a stage one remap, will put a smile on your face every time !
How is the reliability of the gearbox after stage 1? TDI gets a DQ250 which theoretically means its rated 250nm. Stage 1 will produce close to 400nm. Will there be future issues?
Old 28th July 2023, 21:28   #5447
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, a 35k run Octy available for sale. KA 03 MV series in Silver color. If anyone interested, pls ping me.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 22:05   #5448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downshift98 View Post
How is the reliability of the gearbox after stage 1? TDI gets a DQ250 which theoretically means its rated 250nm. Stage 1 will produce close to 400nm. Will there be future issues?
TDI from the factory itself came with 320nm torque. TDI can easily take 400nm torque without any issues.
The limit of 250nm is for TSI with DQ200, though that can easily be increased with TCU tune.
sunikkat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 22:14   #5449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
TDI from the factory itself came with 320nm torque. TDI can easily take 400nm torque without any issues.
The limit of 250nm is for TSI with DQ200, though that can easily be increased with TCU tune.
That's great! Thanks for the info.
Downshift98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 12:20   #5450
BHPian

NOIR: Mk3.5 Skoda Octavia L&K TDI DSG, 3 years and 60,000 kms

The story began way before it was supposed to. Back when I was just a boy growing up, the Mk1 (mark 1) Octavia had already caught my attention. Whenever one had appeared on the road, I remember staring at the car, and not being able to take off my eyes off it, it was the definition of beauty to me. I slowly started obsessing over the car, and started to gain an honest and a strong liking towards the car. I had always wished I’d owned one when one passed by our house back then. It was understated and extremely elegant, one of those designs I’d always love. And finally after 15 year long years, I managed to call one my own, this beauty (or the beast), down here.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-2a320ca3038c4cf58ac804ab1fff4365.jpeg

Three years ago, about the time in January, 2020, we were planning to pick a car for myself, and it was ‘my’ first car, so had to be absolutely special and I had to be absolutely sure of what I wanted. I was more inclined to diesels back then, our 530d had spoiled me a lot.

The criteria I was looking at was:
1. Elegant yet understated looking, good road presence.
2. Powerful and fun engine yet efficient.
3. Spacious and practical
4. Mod friendly
5. More inclined to diesels than petrols.

We shortlisted a few options.

CLA 200D: I had test driven a friend’s car once. The car looked magnificent from the outside, really loved the design, it was unique and one could call it a head turner. Was definitely impressed by the exterior. The interiors were rather dated, and was cramped up. The rear seat was barely ‘decently’ spacious and I found a hard time adapting to that. I wasn’t left ‘mind-blown’ after the drive either. I was expecting a more exciting diesel but I suppose did not have fun driving it.

Civic ZX Diesel: Again, the car looked good, but wasn’t exciting at all to drive. I found the car to be laggy and barely gave you the ‘punch’ you needed. That alone made me move away from this choice.

Audi A3 TDI (used): I loved the way the car drove, we had driven one in a used car dealership and came out extremely impressed. The car wasn’t exactly large like a D-segment sedan, but was superb to drive, the engine impressed me a lot and this is exactly when I realised what the 2.0 TDI is capable of. Only boasts 143hp on paper but was far superior than 160hp diesels like Cruze on paper. The engine was free revving and torquey and was fun to drive. But one thing that stopped us from considering was practicality and space, and hence sadly had to move away from this car.

Since I had always been an avid reader of the articles on teambhp, the 1.8 TSI received a lot of positive reviews and acclaim from the enthusiasts, stating it was the best engine the segment for the ‘enthusiast in you’. I wasn’t really into petrols but still had gone to the Skoda dealership back in our city and test drove both Skoda Octavia MK3.5 1.8 TSI and 2.0 TDI. The MK3.5 just looked stunning with those dual headlamps, I loved it far more than the other options by just looking at it.

Octavia 1.8 TSI: The car was indeed a hoot to drive, picked up speeds like it was nothing, the engine was rather extremely free revving, sweet and beautiful to hear whenever my foot went down, and doesn’t take time to show you what it’s truly capable of. Loved the overall refinement of the engine, DQ200 (7 speed DSG) was doing its duties absolutely well too, it was lighting quick. The Multilink suspension was just a class above. But the torque was barely felt, I wasn’t pushed back like I was in the A3, and that alone made me question.

Octavia 2.0 TDI: After hearing about several ’DQ200 stories’ I was a little hesitant to lean towards the petrol, which I initially didn’t want to as well. So having considered all that, I drove the 2.0 TDI. This was the moment I realised that this was the car that I was meant to drive. The engine was effortless, I loved the torque and drama offered by the engine, pulled like a train, all the 320 newton-metres came into life and that’s what really excites me. DQ250 was also super fast enough to get the job done, and rather considered to be a safer bet amongst the two. The car despite being a 143hp diesel pulled all the way to triple digit speeds like it was a piece of cake. And I also read 2.0 TDI with a remap could be an entirely different breed as well, along with being extremely efficient. The Torsion beam suspension was inferior to that of the Multilink, but to me wasn’t a deal breaker as I was satisfied with the former itself.

Now the Octavia, had ticked all the boxes for me. Was it understated and elegant? Yes, in every possible way. Was it powerful and fun to drive? Absolutely, without a question. Was it practical and spacious? 590 litres of boot and ample amount of rear seat space and comfort, what more could one ask for.

So my heart was set towards the diesel and hence we booked the Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI L&K DSG. And exactly on February 28th, the car had got delivered, and I would count it as the most special moment in my life. And from that day on till today, the car has only made me fall in love with it more. Here are some pics of the beauty.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-ee0c9a75a7074da0b4fb97c32b50a354.jpeg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-06bdfed0c3e94468a9f8bd7cfeb8c4f2.jpeg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-d9458517f37940ebac955bf5d74ee0c3.jpeg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-e4bbf67fa62a4fa88a983da4f40dec06.jpeg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-e94ea1cf195a4fe7802decdf45d9bb6e.jpeg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-32d5c15de84f408993fb469505846b35.jpeg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-8fe69a52c1ef4140a45d303e2955820f.jpeg
dieselhead01 is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 12:45   #5451
BHPian

Re: NOIR: Mk3.5 Skoda Octavia L&K TDI DSG, 3 years and 60,000 kms

•Beautiful, elegant and understated yet a unique design, which is an eye catcher and an eye candy.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-718bb3bcb5cc465eb55659ee2bbee8f7.jpeg

•Powerful and fast 2.0 TDI engine, which is mod friendly and very efficient.
6.8s to the ton with a remap+exhaust (0-100 in 6.5s (1ft rollout)):

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-bd4aabaf7c21476b9bb5d9941c302981.png
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-40be81bfe3124140bd7d57e077573cf2.png

And down are the efficiency figures of the car post remap on the highways. The remap is from Wolf Moto Performance, Kochi.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-a5b32f62db734a05b0cd5184ca9328ce.jpeg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-f0e5c4ed5ac94e0580819c7afec4c639.jpeg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-fac0af08a0df4291ba0510500a7f5a16.jpeg

•Excellent, durable and lightning fast DQ250 6 speed gearbox.
•Extremely practical, spacious, boot space at 590 litres and decent amount of leg room and space in the rear seat.
•Superb steering response and sharpness from the steering wheel.
•Extremely informative yet futuristic virtual cockpit.
•Superb infotainment system along with Canton 10-speaker system, which is crisp and to the point.

DISLIKES:

•Although I have no much complaints against the suspension setup of this car, I wish Skoda hadn’t done cost cutting on this regard and might as well would’ve given the diesel Octavia also the Multilink independent suspension. The Jetta we own comes with the latter suspension, and yes as slowly time passed by I could say there’s a noticeable difference between the two. Although I’m impressed with the straight line stability of torsion beam at high speeds.

•Just like how the Superb and Octavia got the same 1.8 TSI engine, I wished Octavia and Superb diesels came with the same engine (177hp,350nm). Well that’s just me being greedy, even in stock I loved the power in offer, and especially now after the remap, the car is absolutely a beast on the road, and provides insane acceleration and performance on offer, which I could say is unmatched in the class. The car at dyno produced 206hp and 502nm on crank a few months back, now I’m running on an updated map.

•Engine refinement isn’t great to be honest. The diesel clatter could be heard inside the cabin, I wouldn’t say it’s hard to live with, but definitely not impressive like the Jetta or the Octavia 1.8 TSI. But now I’m running on a diesel performance exhaust and that sounds beautiful to me.

It’s been more than 3 years of ownership and gladly this car hasn’t given us any sort of problems as of now, touchwood. 60,000 kms were of pure bliss and adrenaline.

I’m planning to run a bigger turbo in a few months to see what this engine truly has to offer. Must say it’s an engine with high potent and is capable of much more insane performance. I will update on this thread again, when I’m up for a stage 3 upgrade on my car.

Last edited by dieselhead01 : 30th July 2023 at 12:49.
dieselhead01 is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 14:19   #5452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downshift98 View Post
The 2.0 TDI makes 320Nm stock, so the DQ250 is already handling that torque safely. I’m running an after market turbo on my TDI with supporting mods putting out approx 500Nm and running the same DQ250 gearbox. We also flashed a gearbox tune to account for the increased torque output.

The weak spot in the DSG is actually the dual mass flywheel that smoothens the vibrations. If you drive in city crawling traffic a lot, the flywheel will get knackered over the course of time, and will need to be replaced. I got mine done after approx 7yrs into the purchase.

So in short, no, you won’t face any issues with the DSG with just a Stage 1 remap.
vignesh.cv is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 13:43   #5453
BHPian

Quote:
Beautiful, elegant and understated yet a unique design, which is an eye catcher and an eye candy.
Your car looks like a dream, with the blacked out grill and superb alloys. The 3rd gen with its front split headlamp design was a welcome change from the 2nd gen. The present Octavia (RIP) is more Superb-ish with the engine and looks. Im a dieselhead too and while the TSI is good to drive, the unreliable DQ200 and the need to baby it - not possible always if its a daily driver (same gearbox on a 12 lac Polo GT TSI and a 30 lac Octavia then) and lack of that punchy torque feeling is what I have never liked, not to forget the lousy FE at the end of it. The 1.5 TDI, then later the 1.6/2.0 TDI - this is how i have experienced the VW diesels and only the 330i feels close to that punchy nature. DQ250s can handle upto 400 nm safely according to Wikipedia
100Kmphormore is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 13:54   #5454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Your car looks like a dream, with the blacked out grill and superb alloys. The 3rd gen with its front split headlamp design was a welcome change from the 2nd gen. The present Octavia (RIP) is more Superb-ish with the engine and looks. Im a dieselhead too and while the TSI is good to drive, the unreliable DQ200 and the need to baby it - not possible always if its a daily driver (same gearbox on a 12 lac Polo GT TSI and a 30 lac Octavia then) and lack of that punchy torque feeling is what I have never liked, not to forget the lousy FE at the end of it. The 1.5 TDI, then later the 1.6/2.0 TDI - this is how i have experienced the VW diesels and only the 330i feels close to that punchy nature. DQ250s can handle upto 400 nm safely according to Wikipedia

Thank you brother for the kind words. I’m always up for all black designs, I prefer them than the rest. Moreover like you mentioned, stock 2.0 TDI is no slouch in comparison to the 1.8 TSI in terms of performance and is extremely efficient at the same time. My car at the present tune does the quarter mile in 14.7 seconds, which is quicker than a stock Octavia RS230 by almost 0.3 seconds, so it should be quicker than an equally tuned 1.8 TSI AFAIK, just an assumption but not so sure, but am extremely satisfied with the torque on offer, brings a huge smile to my face.
dieselhead01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 15:59   #5455
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Need a favour please. Can someone with the prev gen Octavia say the 2017-18 model take one measurement for me?

I need to know the length of the boot with the rear seats folded down from just inside the lip of the rear to the back of the front seats when the seats are in an average driving position.

Need to transport something and want to see if it will fit in my friends octavia.He is out of town so cant measure it for me.
Old 31st July 2023, 18:17   #5456
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
I need to know the length of the boot with the rear seats folded down from just inside the lip of the rear to the back of the front seats when the seats are in an average driving position.
Exactly 182cm. For that too you will have to first recline front seats forward and then keep your item and then bring them back in place.

I know because I recently transported a 6ft x 3ft painting.

Also remember that while the rear seats fold, are not full flat, may retain a 15% angle, so I needed slight cushioning support in the middle.

If you plan to transport something wide, you may want to check the width too, its not 4ft, because of wheels.

Last edited by SLK : 31st July 2023 at 18:18.
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 20:17   #5457
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Exactly 182cm. For that too you will have to first recline front seats forward and then keep your item and then bring them back in place.
Thanks. The item I need to transport is 6 foot long and 2 wide and 2 height. The hatch might not close. I think I'll get a van to do it.

Last edited by nidhikapoor : 31st July 2023 at 20:20.
Old 4th August 2023, 09:53   #5458
BHPian

Hello everyone.
My octavia is due for its 60000/ 4 yrs service.
The car has so far done 56kms and is under then enhanced 4 year service package which includes one set of brake pad/ disc.
However, my brake pads/discs are not due for change( yes after 60k kms) Will I be able to change the pads and discs at a later stage under the service package even if it has crossed 4 years??
Old 12th August 2023, 07:44   #5459
Senior - BHPian

Hello, my Octavia TDI MT is 7.5 years old and 84k kms run.

Yesterday while on my drive to Trivandrum, I experienced some shuddering from the engine whenever the car is in 6th gear and the speed is picking from 90kmph. i.e at around 105 kmph for 2 to 3 seconds. Once the speed is increased no issues. No other problem in terms of pick up or drive. Car is stage 1 mapped.

Would this be engine mounts going weak? If yes, do you think it’s good to change all mounts together? Also any estimated cost of each mount?

The timing kit and water pump was changed 1500 kms back from a trusted FNG. I will take it to the FNG, once I am back to Bangalore on Wednesday. But appreciate any advise. Thanks.
Old 12th August 2023, 09:39   #5460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post

Would this be engine mounts going weak? If yes, do you think it’s good to change all mounts together? Also any estimated cost of each mount?
Sounds like bad mounts, could be engine, could be gearbox, sub frame mount. Good time to change all, even if you go to your trusted FNG, ensure to source the parts directly from your Skoda dealership. I would not risk with third party spares for critical components like mounts. All major mounts will not cost you more than 20-25000/-
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks