Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2023, 16:38   #5401
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Hello Members,
After having the car for 9 years, things are starting to show its age.
In January Fuel flap actuator had failed and had to get it replaced which was ₹6000 including labour & got it replaced along with periodic service at Tafe access.
There are few rattles which have cropped up, more so in the left A/c vent as the adjuster has also been broken. This month the driver side window stopped functioning and later was identified that the regulator has gone bad. Had to wait for 2 weeks for the parts to reach Tafe access and got it done. The total bill came upto ₹17,100/-.
The service advisor also mentioned that Engine bedding i.e., engine mounts are weak and that also needs to be replaced in the next service.
Phew, expenses have started to pileup as this car ages, maybe thats the case with all the germans.
Apart from these, have gotten a stage 1+ Wolf remap and it made the car more fun to drive. There is a decrease in the mileage but I’ve made peace with it.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-903f8cb01bb349e9b1367d4a4b2b7da2.jpeg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-054d42f49859487eac6f82195a7831a4.png
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-266a848943bb4b55b5ab7491002a8653.jpeg
Old 6th June 2023, 21:16   #5402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulRV View Post
After having the car for 9 years, things are starting to show its age.
Being a past Octavia TSI owner, while I sympathise with your unplanned expenses, I'd say you are doing rather well with your 9 year old + 41K km run Octavia TDI.

Have you had the 'usual failures' already like DRLs yellowing, AC compressor failure, thermostat, fuel pump, battery conking out suddenly, front tie-rod linkages creaking, sunroof sounding like a old leather suitcase etc.?

But seriously, do not neglect the engine mounts especially if you've remapped it. I'd suggest biting the bullet and changing them in one shot. How is the suspension faring even though the TDI had the more robust torsion beam setup at the rear.

Apart from Toyota (and maybe Honda), most other D1 cars would have cost you more by now in maintenance.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 09:52   #5403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Being a past Octavia TSI owner, while I sympathise with your unplanned expenses, I'd say you are doing rather well with your 9 year old + 41K km run Octavia TDI.

Have you had the 'usual failures' already like DRLs yellowing, AC compressor failure, thermostat, fuel pump, battery conking out suddenly, front tie-rod linkages creaking, sunroof sounding like a old leather suitcase etc.?

But seriously, do not neglect the engine mounts especially if you've remapped it. I'd suggest biting the bullet and changing them in one shot. How is the suspension faring even though the TDI had the more robust torsion beam setup at the rear.

Apart from Toyota (and maybe Honda), most other D1 cars would have cost you more by now in maintenance.
Hello,
TBH I haven’t had most of the ‘usual failures’ that you’ve mentioned also keeping in mind mine is a Manual transmission with Halogen headlights and no sunroof either. But I have had the battery conk off suddenly
I did have the same window regulator replaced on the front passenger side window. Apart from that I had the entire centre A/c vents replaced in my own cost thanks to my cousin’s baby’s small hands with feisty grip😂
Looking back other than the part failures I’ve mentioned above, haven’t really incurred anything else other than regular maintenance services (including brake wear).
RahulRV is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2023, 10:38   #5404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,
TBH I haven’t had most of the ‘usual failures’ that you’ve mentioned also keeping in mind mine is a Manual transmission with Halogen headlights and no sunroof either.
In a way, good to hear you have the less-prone-to-failure variant. Enjoy your ownership!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2023, 20:01   #5405
BHPian

My Octavia TDI, 17k and 4 years old has a few issues -
1. Higher sound and vibrations at lower RPM
2. Bad throttle response, especially in the turbo RPM band.

Car was serviced 4 months back, ASC were of no help, they dont do anything unless dashboard shows a error code
My independent research has led me to following possible issues
1. Dirty AMF sensor - "Liqui Moly Air Mass Sensor Cleaner" seem to be the best option to clean this.
2. Dirty EGR valve - Talked to ASC, they can get it cleaned on my request
3. Dirty fuel injector - "Liqui Moly Diesel Purge" seem to be the best for that
4. Planning to change fuel filter after Diesel Purge

I know these issues are not typical in a car this new, but I am little annoyed with noise, vibrations and throttle response (have driven a few other octavia TDI's to compare, problem definitely exists).
Noise and vibrations got a little better with "Wurth Diesel Additive", but throttle response is no better.

My question to fellow owners is
1. Have you tried any of these products?
2. Any other ideas to diagnose and fix the issues?
3. Any good independent mechanic in Bangalore that can diagnose such issue?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by speedracer05 : 10th June 2023 at 20:10.
Old 10th June 2023, 21:48   #5406
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer05 View Post
First set of things I would do:

1) Change fuel, move to premium - at least temporarily
2) Change air-filter, try K&N or something similar, let the turbo feel some air.
3) Go for an expressway drive, drive a bit hard for a couple of hours.
Old 10th June 2023, 23:29   #5407
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in Advance!
Please get the flywheel checked as you are having noise and vibrations at low speeds. Mine had gone bad at 4 years and around 40k.
Old 11th June 2023, 01:08   #5408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Please get the flywheel checked as you are having noise and vibrations at low speeds.
Was it TDI (DQ250) or TSI (DQ200)?
How did the mechanics narrow the problem to flywheel, my SA plainly said that if there is no error code there is no problem.
Old 11th June 2023, 12:35   #5409
BHPian

Quote:
My Octavia TDI, 17k and 4 years old has a few issues -
1. Higher sound and vibrations at lower RPM

Car was serviced 4 months back, ASC were of no help, they dont do anything unless dashboard shows a error code
My independent research has led me to following possible issues
1. Dirty AMF sensor - "Liqui Moly Air Mass Sensor Cleaner" seem to be the best option to clean this.
2. Dirty EGR valve - Talked to ASC, they can get it cleaned on my request
3. Dirty fuel injector - "Liqui Moly Diesel Purge" seem to be the best for that
4. Planning to change fuel filter after Diesel Purge

I know these issues are not typical in a car this new, but I am little annoyed with noise, vibrations and throttle response (have driven a few other octavia TDI's to compare, problem definitely exists).
Noise and vibrations got a little better with "Wurth Diesel Additive", but throttle response is no better.

Thanks in Advance!
It would be helpful if you could elaborate on higher noise & vibrations. Having a TDI MT Car, my car does vibrate around 1200-1500 RPM and post that it’ll vanish. The vibrations can be felt on steering and pedals. Skoda ASC diagnosed that the Engine mounts were weak and to be replaced.
And regarding throttle response, try taking car out for a long drive with diesel additive maybe. Try consulting another skoda ASC in Bangalore before visiting FNG.
Also putting K&N filter on this car made no difference (atleast for me).
Old 11th June 2023, 13:25   #5410
BHPian

Quote:
It would be helpful if you could elaborate on higher noise & vibrations.
Thanks for the advice Rahul.
Noise and vibrations is very high (has reduced a little with wurth diesel additive). I have driven other Octavias to compare (with 40k-60k kms mileage), mine (with 18k milage) is significantly worse in noise, vibrations and throttle response.
SA eyeballed engine mounts and said it's fine.

My hunch is this has something to do with air intake (MAF sensor, EGR valve) or fuel ingestion (injectors or fuel filter). Planning to cleanup each until issue is resolved. I will circle back to engine mounts if none of these work.
speedracer05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 15:46   #5411
BHPian

Quote:
Was it TDI (DQ250) or TSI (DQ200)?
How did the mechanics narrow the problem to flywheel, my SA plainly said that if there is no error code there is no problem.
Mine was TDI. It is very difficult to explain the behaviour in words. I will try to explain.

At slow speeds when you depress the accelerator, you can feel the looseness in transmission. This will be accompanied by some vibrations. It will feel similar to what you feel when you don't change to lower gear while showing down in a manual car.

My mechanic could immediately identify the problem after a test drive.
Old 13th June 2023, 17:12   #5412
Senior - BHPian

Now that my TDI is 7+ years old, slowly issues have started coming up. I realised the coolant level was drastically reducing every 2 weeks, but I could not see any trace of water below the car. Was topping up the coolant and was also closely observing the engine temperature during my last drive from Kerala.
As suspected issue seems to be with water pump. Since the water pump is getting replaced I have asked to change the timing kit too. Car is with the FNG and they need a week to source the OEM timing kit. After market is available immediately, but as suggested by them will wait for OEM.

Questions to experts -

1) Is there anything else I need to be worried about, considering I would have driven 1000+ kms with this issue. Though I have always topped up the coolant and it was above min level. Also there was no fluctuations in the temperature.
2) What is the general timeline for changing the timing belt? My car is 7 years 3 months old and has done 82k kms.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sunikkat : 13th June 2023 at 17:39.
Old 13th June 2023, 23:40   #5413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Now that my TDI is 7+ years old, slowly issues have started coming up. I realised the coolant level was drastically reducing every 2 weeks, but I could not see any trace of water below the car. Was topping up the coolant and was also closely observing the engine temperature during my last drive from Kerala.
As suspected issue seems to be with water pump. Since the water pump is getting replaced I have asked to change the timing kit too. Car is with the FNG and they need a week to source the OEM timing kit. After market is available immediately, but as suggested by them will wait for OEM.

Questions to experts -

1) Is there anything else I need to be worried about, considering I would have driven 1000+ kms with this issue. Though I have always topped up the coolant and it was above min level. Also there was no fluctuations in the temperature.
2) What is the general timeline for changing the timing belt? My car is 7 years 3 months old and has done 82k kms.

Thanks in advance.
Same issue occurred with me on the tsi. Kept running it by replacing coolant frequently.

Got the water pump changed at Skoda. The service advisor said timing belt is fine hence replaced only the pump.

Car was handed over in a day. 15k was the damage to wallet.

My car is 7 years 7 months old.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 14th June 2023, 06:28   #5414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Same issue occurred with me on the tsi. Kept running it by replacing coolant frequently.

Got the water pump changed at Skoda. The service advisor said timing belt is fine hence replaced only the pump.

Car was handed over in a day. 15k was the damage to wallet.
Thanks Raj, that’s comforting to hear.

Water pump is available immediately. Timing kit is something I asked them to replace considering the kms run and since my car is remapped too. So couple of parts in the timing kit, which are OEM brand, are not available. So have to wait now.
Old 14th June 2023, 20:48   #5415

I have a question. Actually a couple of them. I have a 1.4 TSI Style bought in Mar-2020. Driven less than 30k km. Today I went for for the 3rd service along with some body work and a nagging sound issue I have been facing for the last year or so.

There is a repetitive sound (something similar to when a stone might be stuck in the tyre), that has been coming from the car. I first started noticing it around the cruising range of 80 kmph on the airport road (my daily commute for a few months). I realised that the sound was there even at speeds as less as 20 kmph, which meant it was a physical interference/ rubbing. I couldn't establish the reason and even after the raising the concern during the previous service (the PPS guys didn't find anything wrong) and even getting the tyres rotated, the sound persisted. I continued driving through the last year, always aware of the sound being there.

Today again I raised the concern while handing over the vehicle, and the service executive was quick enough to raise the car to check if any bearing damage was there (I drive way too carefully to have had that kind of impact, but I let him check). He confirmed the bearings are fine, alignment may be required, but the biggest surprise/shock was that as per him the tyres had worn out! At less than 30K! He even said that the wear is uneven! He also said that there is a humming sound which is primarily because of uneven tyre wear.

About 70% of the usage has been on the airport road, upto Chikkaballapur.
About 10% of the usage would be within the city of Bangalore.
Balance 20% of the usage would be for our annual trips (<500km radius spots).
No rash driving, no off-roading, still the tyres are gone.

First year of purchase the car literally did only 4,000km (peak covid), 500 km in first 9 months.
Second year about 20,000 km.
Third year about 5,000 km.

Can anyone please advise, how to check if there is any life left in these tyres and what would be the recommended replacements. These are stock Goodyear tyres.

I read a number of threads here on TeamBHP about Michelin, Pirelli, Yoko, Conti tyres for Octavia, but I can't make up my mind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks