Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2023, 12:48   #5431
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygojer View Post
Plan on getting either a BMC or K&N filter for my 9 year old 1.8TSI.
Has anyone used either of these and does it help?
Does a change of air filter have issues with Skoda on warranty related issues given that I’m on their service plan?
Both BMC and K&N are mediocre at best. OEM air filters have come a long way. The OEM filter on your car is more than adequate and provides a good balance between filtration vs. flow.
vignesh.cv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 20:31   #5432
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygojer View Post
Plan on getting either a BMC or K&N filter for my 9 year old 1.8TSI.
Has anyone used either of these and does it help?
I put K&N on mine, don't think I noticed much, probably because it's quite rare that I get to push it to a limit where this would matter. On the other hand 1.2TSI actually benefitted from it, probably because the stock filter is crappy there and there are more situations to push the 1.2tsi.

I have to drive through dusty Gurgaon roads, so I actually shifted back to stock filter on Octavia as K&N clearly would let in more dust.
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2023, 12:26   #5433
BHPian

Hi,

A question to all owners who have upgraded their tyres. I am currently running 17inch setup on my 2017 Octavia 1.8 TSI with 224/45/R17 Michelin PS4 tyres. I need to replace these as they have worn out, and was debating between 225/50 and 225/45.

The question is are there any instances of scraping the sidewalls under load when using 225/50/r17 tyres?
Old 25th July 2023, 04:52   #5434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpitt View Post
Hi,

A question to all owners who have upgraded their tyres. I am currently running 17-inch setup on my 2017 Octavia 1.8 TSI with 224/45/R17 Michelin PS4 tyres. I need to replace these as they have worn out, and was debating between 225/50 and 225/45.

The question is are there any instances of scraping the sidewalls under load when using 225/50/r17 tyres?
It does scrape sidewalls on extreme turns occasionally. Also noted are scrapes of the tyre on full load and when encountering unexpected bumps or dips on full load. I have been managing these for the past one and a half years without any major issues.
sandygordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 06:48   #5435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
It does scrape sidewalls on extreme turns occasionally. Also noted are scrapes of the tyre on full load and when encountering unexpected bumps or dips on full load. I have been managing these for the past one and a half years without any major issues.
While 225/50/17 looks full on the wheel and has better aesthetics, scrapping sidewalls is one concern I had too. Thanks for clarifying. I might continue with 225/45/17, as I find it perfect upsize for my requirements.

Last edited by sunikkat : 25th July 2023 at 06:50.
sunikkat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 08:35   #5436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Thanks for the reply and information. To get out of my apartment parking I have to take 3 full U turns down a basement ramp so the chances of this happening will go up significantly for me. I'm going to stick to 225/45/R17 for the tyre change

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
While 225/50/17 looks full on the wheel and has better aesthetics, scrapping sidewalls is one concern I had too. Thanks for clarifying. I might continue with 225/45/17, as I find it perfect upsize for my requirements.
Honestly aesthetics and ride comfort were the only two factors that made me consider 225/50/17. But yes the 45 profile is ther perfect upsize and I've really had no complaints in the four or so years I've been using these tyres.
mrpitt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 19:29   #5437
BHPian

Re: Turbo whoosh masked by noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumesh_Jazz View Post
Would going for a wheel balancing and alignment can help? Or could this be related to something else? Requesting fellow BHP’ians for your valuable feedback/advise on this.
Not sure about the turbo sound but two experiences come to mind.
The vehicle went over a few potholes and the exhaust got dislodged, leading to knocking sounds on slow speeds. Local mechanic bolted it back in slot.

Vehicle hit same pothole twice on two different days, at high speeds. Tyre had a couple of bubbles on the sidewalls. Check for bubble in both outer and inner sidewalls.

There wont be any harm getting alignment done for peace of mind and a good smooth drive going forward. You can also check the tyres for any bubbles or cracks when getting alignment done.
Old 26th July 2023, 23:47   #5438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Surprising the car battery is not plug and play and is actually tuned / mated to the engine (at least that's what the Skoda workshop guys told me) as I asked them on the high labour charge of Rs. 1200/- just for replacing the battery.
Exide and Amaron are available in 70 & 74 ah respectively (or the other way around) , which I was told by Skoda guys is really not an issue in using, but the warranty for the cars electronics becomes invalid as the battery details is first thing that Skoda asks for in case of any warranty claims. I still had over 2.5 years on the warranty period. So replaced it with a Varta battery which had a sticker pasted saying "received in March 2023" over the manufacturing date which could be 6 months older possibly. I got the replacement done in early May 2023 so the battery lasted for almost 3.5 years. Total expense involved Rs. 14,500/- & the old battery was taken away by a battery dealer for Rs. 1300/- as the Co. does not take back the old battery. Hope this info helps others.
Thank you for the information Sir. Also, any idea on the battery being plug and play for the Rapid?
I own one from 2020(1.0 TSI AT) and this thing has me worried since a long time.
Any inputs from fellow Bhpian’s would be appreciated.
Regards,
Dr Rishi
Old 27th July 2023, 09:54   #5439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themotohead_doc View Post
Thank you for the information Sir. Also, any idea on the battery being plug and play for the Rapid?
I own one from 2020(1.0 TSI AT) and this thing has me worried since a long time.
Any inputs from fellow Bhpian’s would be appreciated.
Regards,
Dr Rishi
I got my car’s (VW Ameo TDI DSG) battery replaced from ASC a couple of days back. There is no coding involved. However, it takes time as they will charge the battery after installing it on your car.
SuperSuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 11:43   #5440

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
I got my car’s (VW Ameo TDI DSG) battery replaced from ASC a couple of days back. There is no coding involved. However, it takes time as they will charge the battery after installing it on your car.
Thank you Sir. How much time did they take for the swap and the amount of Moolah they charged for the same?
Was it considerably expensive when compared to local battery shops?
Old 27th July 2023, 12:06   #5441
BHPian

Hey guys,

I am planning to upgrade my wheels of my '18 Octvaia TDI L&K which has 16" 205 to the vrs wheels either 230's or 245's. Considering that the 230's come in 17" and 245's in 18", will there be a significant dip in the performance?

Down the line I am planning to get a stage one tune as I still have my extended warranty on the car.

Another question regarding the EW, the DRLs have become yellow and the ASC has told me that the EW does not cover those. Any idea if thats true?
Old 27th July 2023, 19:00   #5442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downshift98 View Post
Hey guys,

I am planning to upgrade my wheels of my '18 Octvaia TDI L&K which has 16" 205 to the vrs wheels either 230's or 245's. Considering that the 230's come in 17" and 245's in 18", will there be a significant dip in the performance?

Down the line I am planning to get a stage one tune as I still have my extended warranty on the car.

Another question regarding the EW, the DRLs have become yellow and the ASC has told me that the EW does not cover those. Any idea if thats true?
18 inchers wont scrape during full lock turns? Do check before you decide. I’m running 17 inchers on my 2015 Tsi without any issues.

Regd DRL, ask for a warranty replacement of the headlights. Several bhpians have got this done. My cars first owner, a bhpian had gotten the headlights replaced under warranty due to this exact same reason.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 19:23   #5443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themotohead_doc View Post
Thank you Sir. How much time did they take for the swap and the amount of Moolah they charged for the same?
Was it considerably expensive when compared to local battery shops?
Welcome mate. The battery was priced around 10k + labour charges. I got some discount. Also the ASC traded in my old battery for 5% of the new battery price. It took them the whole day. I reached ASC around 11 and left around 5:30pm.

However, if you go to local shops, you’ll easily get the new battery for around 6.5-7k. My car is under warranty for another year so didn’t want to take a chance by installing an aftermarket battery as VW group is quite infamous for declining warranty claims due to battery.
SuperSuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 19:28   #5444

[quote=SuperSuri;5593541 My car is under warranty for another year so didn’t want to take a chance by installing an aftermarket battery as VW group is quite infamous for declining warranty claims due to battery.[/QUOTE]

That puts the aftermarket battery thing out of question as mine is under warranty for another 3.5 years.
That’s Škoda: Simply Clever for you
Old 27th July 2023, 21:25   #5445
BHPian

Quote:
18" wheels is fine if you drive on well paved roads all the time, the ride quality will suffer a bit as well. 230 or 245 section is too wide and might turn out be drag on performance. I'm moved from 205/55 x 16" to running 225/50 x 17" alloys on my modded Laura TDI and have plenty enough grip.

Quote:
Do get a stage one remap, will put a smile on your face every time !
vignesh.cv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks