Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2022, 00:26   #5296
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaghp View Post
Until I hit some traffic, I managed to reach a peak of 17.9 kmpl.
Here's from the normally dreaded Delhi-Gurgaon route. I lost 0.6 in colony roads and parking, it was 18.5 earlier (and it isn't even midnight or weekend).

And that's the catch too, the 1.8tsi returns decent FE at constant medium-high speeds (specifically with cruise control), but in slow-stop-go traffic, it gets very very bad, no matter how you drive.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20221213_222619.jpg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20221208_225739.jpg
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 06:55   #5297
BHPian

Hi all,

One of my friends is looking to buy a sedan for about 30L. After his test drive, Octavia won his heart. But he is unable to make a decision because of rumours that Skoda may stop making the Octavia in India.

Is there a verified update on this? What do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 09:50   #5298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4 View Post
Hi all,

One of my friends is looking to buy a sedan for about 30L. After his test drive, Octavia won his heart. But he is unable to make a decision because of rumours that Skoda may stop making the Octavia in India.
If your friend wants a pure ICE experience with the Octy then this is the right time to get one. Come April 2023, they will still sell the Octy but with hybrid powertrains. 2.0 TSI with 190 PS might not come back as it is. So go for it right now!
Old 20th December 2022, 11:00   #5299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
If your friend wants a pure ICE experience with the Octy then this is the right time to get one. Come April 2023, they will still sell the Octy but with hybrid powertrains. 2.0 TSI with 190 PS might not come back as it is. So go for it right now!
True. In regards to pure ICE cars, I share a similar perspective. Every firm will concentrate on hybrid or electric vehicles within a few years. Already, diesel engines are being phased out, and now larger petrol engines are following suit.
Old 20th December 2022, 11:47   #5300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4 View Post
Already, diesel engines are being phased out, and now larger petrol engines are following suit.
Problem is that Skoda / VW globally have not adapted the RDE compliant 2.0 TSI EA888 Gen3B engine for FWD applications yet. It is only available in AWD applications such as the current Kodiaq, Tiguan, Audi Q3, etc. But I am sure there will be a pure ICE 2.0 TSI sometime in the future adapted to FWD models as well. Until then, expect a 1.4 TSI coupled with an electric PU. An RS iV version is also on the cards. Thanks to friend and bhp-ian Bharath for this information which he has rigorously researched about.

Another chink in its armour would be that these cars will be CBU imports hence expect hefty price hikes too. Though the performance won't be far off a regular 2.0 TSI, and obviously the hybrid system will return better FE.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 20th December 2022 at 11:49.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 23:46   #5301
Senior - BHPian

Experts - Please opine

My starting procedure: Push start button, wait for all the tell tale lights to go out, press brake and push the start button again to get the engine running.

Now when I press the brake pedal, it's hard / tight and I need to push it a bit more to get the engine started. The Brake light also lights up after pressing the pedal a bit harder.

Subsequent starts, in case I stop in between are normal. Same thing gets repeated when I leave from office after a gap of 10 hours. This is the second day this is happening.

This had happened once 3 - 4 months ago.

What should I check? Braking is okish though I feel I might need a brake pad replacement as the brake pedal is going deeper than usual.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 21st December 2022, 03:46   #5302
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Now when I press the brake pedal, it's hard / tight and I need to push it a bit more to get the engine started. The Brake light also lights up after pressing the pedal a bit harder.
Brakes work using engine vacuum, so when the engine is off, the break still works with the stored vacuum which is good for pressing the pedal about twice. Normally the stored vacuum stays good for a few days, but if there is a leakage (or something similar), the vacuum is lost some time after parking the car.

You can check if Skoda can identify and solve the issue, but if your vacuum is lasting more than a few hours, it may be still usable, apart from the harder pedal after long parking.

BTW, I don't think there is a need to press the start button twice, just press the brake and start in one go.
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 09:26   #5303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post

BTW, I don't think there is a need to press the start button twice, just press the brake and start in one go.
I had read this that after the first key turn / button press, the fuel pump gets activated and pushes some fuel in. You can also hear a faint click. Hence this has been my ritual for many years.

I also idle the engine for a good couple of mins before I start off for the day.

Cheers,
Raj
Old 21st December 2022, 12:14   #5304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Problem is that Skoda / VW globally have not adapted the RDE compliant 2.0 TSI EA888 Gen3B engine for FWD applications yet.
So true, yet I was amazed to hear that only the AWD variant is India RDE-friendly. I would have thought the equally stringent upcoming Euro 7 requirements would have made them develop a FWD combo too.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/pres.../en/ip_22_6495

Quote:
What should I check? Braking is okish though I feel I might need a brake pad replacement as the brake pedal is going deeper than usual.
Please get the braking system professionally checked. Worn out brake pads will not ordinarily affect the pedal resistance level, but any leak in the system will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
You can check if Skoda can identify and solve the issue, but if your vacuum is lasting more than a few hours, it may be still usable, apart from the harder pedal after long parking.
Correct, the symptoms need checking out before any mishap happens.

Quote:
I also idle the engine for a good couple of mins before I start off for the day.

Cheers,
Raj
You can follow your 'double-tap' starting procedure but it's meaningless in these modern cars.

Also, idling is not at all needed - it's a waste of fuel. What is recommended is to be gentle on the RPMs for the first few minutes to allow the engine to warm up. Having said that, it's different for different engines/fuels. My Octavia 1.8 TSI used to warm up in 2 minutes flat while my Q3 2.0 TDI takes a good 5+ km to warm up.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 16:33   #5305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My starting procedure: Push start button
Not at all required, start the car with a single press of both brake and starter button.

Quote:
Now when I press the brake pedal, it's hard / tight
As SLK suggests, could be vacuum issue. Skoda should be able to fix this.

Quote:
I had read this that after the first key turn / button press, the fuel pump gets activated
AFAIK fuel pump gets activated as soon as you open the driver door. Although there is nothing wrong with the procedure you follow, its just an extra step which isn't really useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
So true, yet I was amazed to hear that only the AWD variant is India RDE-friendly. I would have thought the equally stringent upcoming Euro 7 requirements would have made them develop a FWD combo too.
I am in the same thought bubble as you, that how difficult would it be? But the information is very specific. A good thing is we could see possibly an AWD Octy RS and AWD Superb with possible higher state of tunes! Bad thing is they'll be more expensive. Dude these Euro 7 rules are scary! Regulating brake dust and micro particles strewn across by rolling tyres! In built emissions limit sensors will surely increase costs of ICE cars in future.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 19:56   #5306
BHPian

Hi all,
Sorry for the deviation from the ongoing topic.

I came to know that supply of E12 Gasohol (12% Ethanol blended Petrol) has been commenced in our area.

So my concern is obviously with its compatibility in my Octavia 1.8 TSI.
And what precautions I would need to take now onwards?

Btw, they already have adopted policy to supply E20 gradually all over !

TIA
Old 21st December 2022, 20:32   #5307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

AFAIK fuel pump gets activated as soon as you open the driver door. Although there is nothing wrong with the procedure you follow, its just an extra step which isn't really useful.

When the ignition is turned on, the ECU activates the fuel pump relay, which pressurizes the fuel supply line to the fuel rail.
The ECU checks the signal from the coolant temperature sensor and determines the amount of fuel and air required for starting.
When the engine crankshaft starts to crank, the ECU generates a phased pulse to turn on the injectors, the duration of which depends on the signals from the coolant temperature sensor. On a cold engine, the pulse duration is longer (to increase the amount of fuel supplied), and on a warm one, it is shorter.

Thanks Adi. The above is from carpedia website regd the Octavia.

Going by the responses, looks like i’m amongst the minority who practices this 2 step start .

Cheers,
Raj
Old 21st December 2022, 20:41   #5308
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Going by the responses, looks like i’m amongst the minority who practices this 2 step start .
And there is also this known issue with Octavia Start Button, which need to be pressed harder to get it to work as it becomes old. That also implies, it'll last longer if you press it just once .
SLK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 19:36   #5309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Experts - Please opine

My starting procedure: Push start button, wait for all the tell tale lights to go out, press brake and push the start button again to get the engine running.

Subsequent starts, in case I stop in between are normal. Same thing gets repeated when I leave from office after a gap of 10 hours. This is the second day this is happening.

This had happened once 3 - 4 months ago.

Cheers,
Raj
Got the annual service done at a trusted FNG as car is out of warranty and I do not trust any of the ASSs.

Mobil1 Synthetic Engine Oil
Air Filter, Cabin Filter and Air Filter replaced.
Interior Vacuum and Exterior Foam Wash

Charges have been similar to what others have paid at Skoda ASS but everything was done in my presence.

The right DRL Led Module had gone kaput during monsoon. Not getting it. Need it purely from an aesthetic perspective. If anyone can help with a purchase link.

Brake Pedal issue was diagnosed with a brake booster leak. Can someone help me with the part number to be ordered?

Cheers,
Raj
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-a69f6c9d82734b929934af3e3729887e.jpeg

Last edited by manson : 30th December 2022 at 10:31.
Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 01:10   #5310
BHPian

Winding up 2022 with an update on all of the cars that I own and owned. Was on a posting spree and this is the last one! Bought a 2018 Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDi manual as a replacement to my 2013 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi manual. Bought this after 2 years, that's the time it took for me to stabilize financially to afford another car! And it was needed for two more things; One to bring down fuel bills on the Innova Crysta's city runs 10KM/L to 16KM/L I am not saving too much, but hey it counts! Two, I love to drive fast, enjoy the drive and the machine. Never gonna give upon it; I needed it after 2 years and I deserve it.

The Skoda has ran about 1,00,000KM when I bought it from my friend (oh you read the kilometer reading right!) a very high mileage vehicle, owned and maintained pristinely by my friend, with all the service records. All the major services were completed and I topped it off with a wheel and brake pads upgrade along with new clutch.

A used Jetta was the ideal candidate, but modern amenities and a new view from the driver seat was required. So Skoda it is, has all the bells and whistles the ones which I need anyway, superior driving comfort (has now clocked 1,23,000 KM bought in late August 2022) a more silent cabin, but cheap plastics though! Jetta is build more solid. The big 3 German's are still far away, keenly waiting for it. But for now I am happy with the pseudo German in Czech guise! Started my sedan saga with Skoda Rapid, so
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20220721wa0012.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20221007_110150.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img20220727wa0023.jpg  

RevJ is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed