Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2022, 14:08   #5266
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Hi fellow owners,

I have done 58K over last 3years in my 1.8TSI AT. I have not faced any ill famed issues with the DSG or the car in general. No squeaking sunroof, no DSG issues, no timing belt issues etc. etc.

I intend to keep the car for at least 10 years or end of life, so, the question is: Is buying 5th and 6th year extended warranty costing Rs 65000 prudent? considering that I would do at least 40000 kms in those 2 years.

What is the average km range of DSG failure?

Thanks in advance...
Old 2nd November 2022, 14:21   #5267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe_deo View Post
Hi Team,
Last spark plug replacement was done in Oct 2020. And they should be replacing the spark plugs every two years.
Apparently for Octavia sold post 2017, the period of change of Spark Plugs has been changed by Skoda from earlier 2 years to every 90000kms or 6 years. You may check this on their website and no service till 90K asks spark plugs to be changed. I too confirmed the same from my SA in my last service at 2 years as I was also under the same impression.
Old 2nd November 2022, 14:32   #5268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pony View Post
Hi fellow owners,

I have done 58K over last 3years in my 1.8TSI AT. I have not faced any ill famed issues with the DSG or the car in general. No squeaking sunroof, no DSG issues, no timing belt issues etc. etc.

I intend to keep the car for at least 10 years or end of life, so, the question is: Is buying 5th and 6th year extended warranty costing Rs 65000 prudent? considering that I would do at least 40000 kms in those 2 years.

What is the average km range of DSG failure?
First, Octavia 1.8TSI engine is very different from the one in Laura. The timing chain issues have reduced phenomenally and there is no need to do preventive timing chain kit maintenance at an early interval like in the Laura.

Second, buying additional warranty is buying insurance. There are still a lot of parts that are prone to failure - AC compressor, DSG etc. So it may be worthwhile to buy the extended warranty but there is a good chance you may never use it.

Third, with regard to DSG. There is no way to know when or how the DQ200 fails. There have been failures even in double-digit odo readings. If the car is under warranty just pray the gearbox fails within the warranty, because it is generally the mechatronic unit that fails; it costs around Rs. 1,50,000 when replaced by Skoda and typically has a waiting period of 6-8 weeks. There are no tell tale signs. You may be on a holiday on a mountain or in a remote village and suddenly the gearbox may fail - such is in the unfortunate reliability of DQ200. Typically you come to know of your DQ200 failure after it has failed - either a Transmission Error in your MID or a blinking indicator next to the gear selection lever.

Last edited by HighRevving : 2nd November 2022 at 14:42. Reason: Typo
HighRevving is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 22:59   #5269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pony View Post
Apparently for Octavia sold post 2017, the period of change of Spark Plugs has been changed by Skoda from earlier 2 years to every 90000kms or 6 years. You may check this on their website and no service till 90K asks spark plugs to be changed. I too confirmed the same from my SA in my last service at 2 years as I was also under the same impression.
My car was bought in October 2016. Moreover the maintenance package includes it and I have already paid for it. Hence, I want it to be replaced.
Old 4th November 2022, 21:08   #5270
BHPian

Is anyone running on BILSTEIN B12 Pro-Kit in Octavia? If yes wanted to know how much is the drop in ground clearance from stock suspension, I know it's a ~ 30 mm drop in EU speech vehicles, but given that our vehicle comes with rough road packages wanted to know the approximate drop in ground clearance.

Cheers!
Old 5th November 2022, 22:39   #5271

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz63 View Post
It's the petrol TSI 1.8, but the bad news is the cluster is showing the new error. "Error: gearbox. You can drive on"

The Mechanix Automotive is the place in Pune, visiting them again on Wednesday.

Brother kindly update the details of the issue and the rectification (if any) that you got from the FNG or had to consult the A.S.C. as I myself am in a dilemma whether I should purchase a used Octy with DSG or not
Old 6th November 2022, 01:29   #5272
BHPian

Hello people!

I recently picked up a pre-owned Octavia TDI MT which was maintained in an excellent way. I'm really enjoying the oodles of torque this machine oozes out.

The car now requires front suspension replacement and a local FNG has given me pricing estimate for all the components that needs to be replaced.

For the front struts alone, it's mentioned 19k in his estimate (Sachs brand). However, when I enquired the price of the same with a local spare parts shop, they mentioned it costs just around 14k for both the struts (Genuine Sachs branded struts). Now, that is 5k difference.

I'm really perplexed if I'm being ripped off by the FNG. I'm attaching the estimate provided by the FNG. Kindly please look into the same and let me know if you guys paid the same for suspension replacement or if it was much lesser.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Old 7th November 2022, 11:26   #5273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctyBoy View Post
Brother kindly update the details of the issue and the rectification (if any) that you got from the FNG or had to consult the A.S.C. as I myself am in a dilemma whether I should purchase a used Octy with DSG or not
The error has gone post gearbox calibration.
shahbaz63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 20:18   #5274
BHPian

Hi all,
The fifth annual service of my Octavia 1.8 TSI AT is scheduled for tomorrow.

The odometer reading is about 43+k kms by now and the car absolutely doesn't have any obvious issue to be worried about. The screen shot of cost estimation for the service is attached herewith and it's quite reasonable IMO.

Anyway, kindly suggest me the things I should be careful at during the scheduled service tomorrow.
Hope everything goes smoothly.

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20221108_202320.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 8th November 2022 at 20:31.
Old 9th November 2022, 07:13   #5275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy2345 View Post
Hello people!

I recently picked up a pre-owned Octavia TDI MT which was maintained in an excellent way. I'm really enjoying the oodles of torque this machine oozes out.

The car now requires front suspension replacement and a local FNG has given me pricing estimate for all the components that needs to be replaced.

For the front struts alone, it's mentioned 19k in his estimate (Sachs brand). However, when I enquired the price of the same with a local spare parts shop, they mentioned it costs just around 14k for both the struts (Genuine Sachs branded struts). Now, that is 5k difference.
19k for Sachs seems to be slightly higher. Since Sachs is also the OEM, why don’t you get an estimate from Skoda too?
I would suggest you try out Monroe which is better than Sachs.
I had upgraded to B6, but have heard some good reviews on Monroe and much cheaper too.

Last edited by sunikkat : 9th November 2022 at 07:16.
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 10:03   #5276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
40-45K km is a good mark to replace both sets of brake pads and check front discs for wear, along with brake fluid replacement. You could also get the AC refrigerant refilled. General check up of the suspension, pay attention to link rods. I also used to change spark plugs very 30K kms. Have you done it already during last service? Never mind what the SA tells you, changing spark plugs regularly results in consistent fuel efficiency. SA will tell you the interval is 60K or 90K km depending on year of build of your car.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 9th November 2022 at 10:07. Reason: added info on spark plugs
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 16:21   #5277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
19k for Sachs seems to be slightly higher. Since Sachs is also the OEM, why don’t you get an estimate from Skoda too?
I would suggest you try out Monroe which is better than Sachs.
I had upgraded to B6, but have heard some good reviews on Monroe and much cheaper too.
Thank you! I did check with a few other spare parts sellers and all of them are quoting a tad lesser than 14k for the struts. So, I've now decided to buy the struts from them and leave the car in the garage for the work.

And yeah, Bilstein B6 is on my list too and inquired the same with TDC Automotive UK, since I do not want to spend double the cost by buying it here in India. Sadly, TDC Automotive does not have the stock right now and said it'll be back in stock by February. And my suspension work definitely cannot wait until then since the ride is too harsh right now.

Also, my cousin is living in Czech and I can ask him to bring it from there. Can someone please tell me the difficulties and the problems to be expected when going this route?

Is it allowed for a person to bring spare parts over flight? Pardon me for the ignorance as I'm totally a noob when it comes to customs and stuffs. Please enlighten me on this.

Thank you!
Sandy2345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 00:23   #5278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz63 View Post
The error has gone post gearbox calibration.
How is this done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Hi all,

The odometer reading is about 43+k kms by now and the car absolutely doesn't have any obvious issue to be worried about. The screen shot of cost estimation for the service is attached herewith and it's quite reasonable IMO.

Anyway, kindly suggest me the things I should be careful at during the scheduled service tomorrow.
Hope everything goes smoothly.

TIA
Can you share which app you use to get this calculation?

Thanks.
Old 11th November 2022, 08:25   #5279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

Can you share which app you use to get this calculation?

Thanks.
Hi! It's the Skoda service cost calculator. You can Google it. Here's the link for you : https://www.skoda-auto.co.in/aid/ser...ost-calculator
Sandy2345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 09:29   #5280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
How is this done?
Honestly, I don't know.
shahbaz63 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks