Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2022, 10:39   #5281
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
How is this done?
With the car in Ignition mode and engine switched off, keep accelerator pedal fully depressed for ~20 seconds. You’ll hear a very minute click sound. It resets the DSG. Expect some rough shifts up to 30 kmph for 2 kms after the reset. What this does is basically wipes the DSG of any driver behaviours it has picked up.

For best recalibration after reset, I drive in empty streets with mild accelerations up to 80kmph, 2-3 complete stops, cruising at 30-50 for a few kilometres and a couple of kickdowns doing 40-140.

Rinse and repeat this whenever you feel the DSG is getting lurchy or not shifting optimally.
revsperminute is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 23:27   #5282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

Can you share which app you use to get this calculation?

Thanks.
Hi
You may use MySkoda app in the Play Store. There have been many more options available even from SkodaAutoIndia also.
I usually use the one with Logo attached herewith.

And once you get your vehicle/s registered in the app, it's more convenient to book appointments/ track history/ get estimates of annual servicing/ repairs etc.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot_2022111723215122_ea55a2d245fdd1ee4761d1265849e60a.jpg  

Dr.Vikas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 09:41   #5283

Hello to all of you!
My 2014 1.8 TSI Octavia has 84+K on the odo. She's in the workshop (Mahavir Skoda) there in Hyderabad for annual service. I have been planning my second tyre change and had finalised on Michelin Primacy 4s, but I am not able to get the 205/55 R16s from the few local tyre retailers I called up. The Service Centre is offering Goodyear Assurance Triplex 2 at 8700/- apiece. Any advice and experience on this from the experts here would be welcome!
Old 26th November 2022, 19:47   #5284

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRevving View Post
There are no tell tale signs. You may be on a holiday on a mountain or in a remote village and suddenly the gearbox may fail -
This really gives me the nightmares!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Is anyone running on BILSTEIN B12 Pro-Kit in
My 2 bits for whatever it’s worth: I am running my Octavia on Bilstein B6 (17 inch alloys & 225 45 R17 Michelin PS4 tyres) & the car rides a tad higher than OEM- on account of the higher pressure in the monotubes

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th November 2022 at 20:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 26th November 2022, 21:38   #5285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abgpal View Post
Hello to all of you!
My 2014 1.8 TSI Octavia has 84+K on the odo. She's in the workshop (Mahavir Skoda) there in Hyderabad for annual service. I have been planning my second tyre change and had finalised on Michelin Primacy 4s, but I am not able to get the 205/55 R16s from the few local tyre retailers I called up. The Service Centre is offering Goodyear Assurance Triplex 2 at 8700/- apiece. Any advice and experience on this from the experts here would be welcome!
Goodyear assurance are reported to be crap in the Octavia 2.0 review. You may have a look at MRF Perfinza. An online review below.

https://www.evoindia.com/gear/tried-...5-55-r16-tyres
Old 28th November 2022, 18:09   #5286
BHPian

Fixed the broken AC vent on my own

Not sure if it's just me, but the AC vent slats on VAG cars are brittle! The vents on my 2011 Vento TDI kept breaking, and then my 2019 Octavia.

Background
One of the vertical slats on the driver-side AC vents of my 2019 1.8TSI L&K broke within the first year. Over the years, it broke one after the other until all of it was gone. It had become impossible to get the AC to blow towards the driver.

It's obviously not covered under warranty, and the ASC quoted some 9k for it. I checked the same on Boodmo and it was available for 3.5k so I ordered it.

My plan was to take it to an FNG but decided to try my luck removing it on my own because I didn't care even if it shattered into million pieces. I just wanted to make sure that the dashboard housing did not get affected. If I could remove it, I could install it too. Logic.

I followed the first link on YouTube to figure out how to remove it, and it was fairly straightforward. It is a simple task as long as you have the right tool. So I got the right tool from my kitchen - 2 steel forks.

Simply clever design
The reason for the slats to break is that their supporting plastic breaks off. But Skoda has a simply clever feature to capture these broken pieces. I was able to find 4/5 pieces from the small storage below the steering wheel (I remember throwing away the first piece because I couldn't figure out where it came from).
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20221128-17.35.22-1.jpeg

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20221128-17.35.22.jpeg

Why did I fix it?
I had some free time on a Friday evening and I was curious to see the engineering behind it and why it cannot be fixed. I had no reason to worry thinking 'what if I broke it more?' because I had ordered a new one anyway. So I sat with some plastic knives, forks, screwdrivers, etc and started fiddling around.

How did I fix it?
I thought I could superglue it into place, but the angle was such that I couldn't get a clear point of entry. So I just used paper tape. However, I had to remove all the horizontal slats to gain access to the inside. It was fun.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20221128-17.35.21-1.jpeg

Final look
After hours of fiddling around and with an equally enthusiastic friend of mine to help, we got it assembled. I cancelled the Boodmo order to see how long my paper tape fix is going to last. Unfortunately, I wasn't planning on writing a post here, so I didn't click photos of each stage.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-whatsapp-image-20221128-17.35.21.jpeg

Suggestion to all owners out there
If you have the stomach to remove the AC vents on your own, I'd suggest that you do it and put tape below it as support. Preventive maintenance, you see.
anaghp is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 11:12   #5287

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz63 View Post
It's the petrol TSI 1.8, but the bad news is the cluster is showing the new error. "Error: gearbox. You can drive on"

The Mechanix Automotive is the place in Pune, visiting them again on Wednesday.
Oh, was excited about this for a moment. Hope it's not too bad. All the best! Keep us posted.
Old 1st December 2022, 12:52   #5288
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fixed the broken AC vent on my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaghp View Post
Suggestion to all owners out there
If you have the stomach to remove the AC vents on your own, I'd suggest that you do it and put tape below it as support. Preventive maintenance, you see.
Thanks. I'm doing it this weekend. I just never figured how to remove the vent.

Does this click method for removing also work with middle vents.

For my 2019 Octavia, only one flare of one vent is broken. But I would like to fix it! Also some preventive maintenance will not hurt either.
Old 1st December 2022, 20:29   #5289
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fixed the broken AC vent on my own

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaghp View Post
Not sure if it's just me, but the AC vent slats on VAG cars are brittle! The vents on my 2011 Vento TDI kept breaking, and then my 2019 Octavia..
I don’t let anyone touch the vents, not even my better half for that matter.

First thing I tell ppl who sit in the front seat is not to meddle with the vents.
Desmosedici is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 00:22   #5290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz63 View Post
I decided to show it to one of a known guy's workshops in Pune; he diagnosed it to be an issue with the "Gearbox Hydraulic Accumulator" within the mechatronics and ordered the necessary DSG repair kit, which arrived after a week time. The process took 16 days, and the cost incurred by me is less than 15% of what Skoda quoted. Moreover, the car has been running well for the past week, and I have already done close to 500 KMs post repair.

When I faced the DSG issue, Car ODO was 63000 KM, my Octavia is five years old.
Wow getting the DSG fixed for 15% of Sokda quote seems to be an unbelievable deal. The nation wants to know more about the Puneri 'known guy' and his workshop
Old 6th December 2022, 13:11   #5291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abgpal View Post
Hello to all of you!
Hey abgpal. I'm using Continental UC6 for my Octavia 2.0 TDI now. I have driven around 20k in 10 months and they are the best tyres I've used so far. I've had Goodyear and MRF Perfinza in the past.
I highly suggest you consider Continental UC6 as they are much more suitable for the roads we drive in. The compound is not super soft or super hard, it's balanced a bit towards softer side.
Driver 33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 12:29   #5292
JSB

Hi all,

My 2017 Octavia is up for annual service (40k done), the SC is offering ŠKODA SUPERCARE PACKAGE for 2 years at 19,799+GST.

Is it worth it? Or will it be cheaper to just go for a paid service on actuals? Please suggest, Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th December 2022 at 12:42. Reason: Post edited for punctuations and readability.
Old 7th December 2022, 16:56   #5293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB View Post
Hi all,

My 2017 Octavia is up for annual service (40k done), the SC is offering ŠKODA SUPERCARE PACKAGE for 2 years at 19,799+GST.

Is it worth it? Or will it be cheaper to just go for a paid service on actuals? Please suggest, Thanks.
It’s well worth the price. I’ll suggest you to get the package.
revsperminute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 13:51   #5294

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
GearBox Replacement of Skoda Octavia

Hello Members,

I am Dr. Himanshu Punia. I am a new member of Team Bhp and unfortunately my first is about the gearbox issue I am facing in my Skoda Octavia. My Octavia is 2015 model 2.0 Tdi DSG . The car has covered 80679 kms. The vehicle has been serviced regularly and has been single handedly driven by me. I am attaching the Email I had sent to Skoda India and Skoda CZ. Every thing has been explained in the Email.

Dear Skoda,

This is DR HIMANSHU PUNIA. This is regarding the serious problem I am facing in my Skoda Octavia. (UK- 07-BK-9495) CURRENT ODO READING 80679 KM

After being extremely happy and satisfied with the brand Skoda and my Octavia for the past 7 years and recommending the Skoda vehicles to many of my friends and relatives, I never thought that I will have to write a mail like this. From day one my car has been serviced and looked after by Skoda Workshops. In 7 years the car has been serviced 9 times at Skoda workshop apart from few other visits for some repair works.

All the service intervals have been followed religiously, be it kilometer wise or year wise. There has been no aftermarket modification done on the vehicle. Vehicle is in absolutely stock form.

Now since last one month I noticed that there was slight jerking while accelerating the car but it was not showing any error message. I took the car to Commercial Automotives Pvt Ltd, Khet No 408 & 409, Rampur Road, Bareilly – 243502 on 18th November 2022. When I parked the car at service center there was no oil leakage of any sort. When the service advisor took the car for a test drive and after driving it hard and returning back it was found that oil was leaking and it was muddy white in colour.

Now I left the car at service center and asked them to find out the root cause and fix it. Initially they said that EGR is faulty and clutch might be faulty too because of the jerking issue. Later after discussing it with their technical team they concluded that the whole gearbox assembly needs to be changed. The gear box assembly itself is costing 570000/-.

I am in utter shock and devastated. Mine is a very well maintained car. After going through previous service invoices I noticed that the gear oil has been changed twice. Once at 55959 kms at Nawab motors Noida where they put 6 liter of oil, And again at 63642 kms At Aryaveer motors , Delhi without looking at the service history, Where They Filled Just 4 Liters Of Oil. Its clearly stated on their invoice. Commercial automotives also told me that they found very less transmission oil in my car which was just 1 liter.

Now I demand Skoda to investigate and help me in this matter. I am absolutely sure that this has happened either because of less gear oil put by Aryaveer Delhi or by aggressive driving Inspite of knowing the jerking issue by commercial automobiles Bareilly. I want the gearbox to be changed on goodwill, as there has been no fault from my side.

Last gear oil was changed at 63642 kms on 17/11/18 at aryaveer delhi. After this service was done on 71322 km. on 16/11/19. After this Covid happened and i covered just 9000 kms in two and half year. Car was serviced on 72786 km on 24/12/20 at Brite skoda Noida and again on 76432 km on 08/01/22 on Brite skoda . The car has been driven for just 4000 kms since last service.

As I have already said that I was extremely happy with the Skoda Octavia and recommended this car to almost all of my Collegues and almost 20 people known to me are driving Skodas. I myself was considering Skoda Superb for the replacement vehicle of Octavia. But after this episode I am loosing trust in brand Skoda.

In Nine services I have spent almost 2 lakhs rupees. I am attaching all the previous service invoices and the current invoice with this mail. In last two and half year just to maintain the yearly service record and to keep the car in top shape I have got three yearly services done which have costed me nearly 50000/- rs whereas the car has covered just 9000 kms. So its about 5 rs per kilometer just the service cost.

Even after maintaining the car so well if I have to go through this than I am not going to recommend Skoda to any of my friends and relatives.

I sincerely hope that Brand Skoda will come forward and help me in regaining my trust .

Thanks.

Dr. Himanshu Punia

Last edited by Sheel : 13th December 2022 at 15:43. Reason: Mobile number removed for privacy reasons. Thanks.
Drhimanshu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 17:58   #5295
BHPian

I've seen posts about FE of over 15 kmpl for the 1.8TSI and I never really understood how people managed to squeeze out that much. That's when I tried to test it out by driving my 2019 Octavia like it shouldn't be. Mellow.

The first attempt to test the FE was on my trip from Bangalore to Kochi in November. I drove below 110 kmph unless it was to overtake and cruised mostly between 90 kmph and 100 kmph. There were hardly any sudden acceleration that revved the engine past 2k or 2.5k RPM. I got a 15.1 kmpl in the first 509 km, and the last stretch with bumper-to-bumper traffic brought it down to 14.7 kmpl by the 537 km mark. That's still a pretty good number I'd say.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-15.1.jpeg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-14.7.jpeg

The second attempt was made again a few days ago, the same Bangalore to Kochi drive. This time, I was driving below 90 kmph most of the time, and I had my cruise control set at 87 kmph (87 because that's how fast I was going when I set it. It wasn't intentional and I didn't feel the need to round it off to 85 or 90). I also coasted as much as I could. I have no idea how people drive that slow in a German car. It was insanely boring, but I endured it.

Until I hit some traffic, I managed to reach a peak of 17.9 kmpl. At the 500 km mark, the FE was at 17.5 kmpl and just like the November drive, I hit bumper-to-bumper traffic. I contained all my urge to speed through the traffic with quick acceleration and stayed behind slow-moving vehicles. By the time I reached my destination after 532 km, the FE was 17.3 kmpl, which is INSANE.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-17.5.jpeg
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-17.3.jpeg

I sent the photo to my friend who owns a Honda City and he cursed me and asked me how much would a used Octavia cost. I sent him some OLX links.

Note 1: I never wanted to publicize this detail before, but I guess it's required for the readers in this context even though I'm unsure if it has any effect on the FE. I'm running a Stage1+ ECU and TCU remap from Wolf (Loving it!).

Note 2: My friend was in his 1.5TSI Virtus and he managed to get 17.2 kmpl by the end of the trip.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-octaviavirtus.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Does this click method for removing also work with middle vents.
It should. Even though it might be trickier as you need to simultaneously handle 4 clips. Apologies for the super late reply. I missed this message.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th December 2022 at 18:02. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
anaghp is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed