Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2023, 12:06   #5491
BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Hey fellow owners, took my car out for a spin just now. Everything was fine. I parked my car at a cafe. Totally flat road, have been here with my car many times. There was a clunking noise from the gear shifter assembly while shifting out of P on the return drive. There’s no abnormalities when going between any other gear positions. Shifting from P to R only produces this noise along with a tendency to not shift out of P. The car has no fault codes. I’m attaching a video for reference. Any help will be much appreciated.

https://Youtube.com/watch?v=fkrd7relwYI?feature=share
I don't know if you are still facing this issue. I think I figured out what could it be. If you shift the car to P before you take your foot off the brakes, especially in inclines, the car could move a little which would put the load on the parking gear. So when you later try to shift from P, it has to push through the resistance of this gear.

A fairly popular best practice to resolve this could be to not let the load on the parking gear. So
  1. Stop the car using the brakes.
  2. Shift to N.
  3. Put on the handbrakes.
  4. Leave the brake (The car may or may not move slightly).
  5. Shift to P.
anaghp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 17:19   #5492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaghp View Post
I don't know if you are still facing this issue. I think I figured out what could it be. If you shift the car to P before you take your foot off the brakes, especially in inclines, the car could move a little which would put the load on the parking gear. So when you later try to shift from P, it has to push through the resistance of this gear.
Issue was sorted out. The parking pin in the shifter assembly was a bit sticky.

Thanks for the advice. Have been an advocate for this technique forever. A very easy thing to do that goes a long way.
Old 7th October 2023, 15:38   #5493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Maybe your cable is faulty.
Drove yesterday for 30 mins with apple original cable and even prime music worked. Looks like the cable was faulty. Will update after a longish drive.
Old 7th October 2023, 18:42   #5494
BHPian

Monsoon Hazard-

Last week, after overnight raining here, ample quantity of water got accumulated somehow in the LHS rear door of my Octavia.

How ?
God only knows !
Thankfully a friend of mine, having heard some gargling sound from that door, pointed it out immediately the next day.

And then about a ltr+ water was drained out without any obvious damage to any parts inside. Then sound from the speakers and also power window operations were checked and found to be functioning normally.

Moral of the story:
During the Pre-Monsoon check up, cleaning of the rubber beading & particularly the drainage holes from all the doors need to be carried out without fail.

Last edited by Dr.Vikas : 7th October 2023 at 18:46.
Dr.Vikas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 23:44   #5495
BHPian

Looking at the current state of new car prices increasing every year vis-a-vis missing features every subsequent MY, a good pre-worshipped gen 3.5 Octavia seems to be a much better option than going for new Slavias and Virtuses. More so for owners who are upgrading from a Rapid or a Vento; this lateral upgrade just makes so much more sense than paying 5-8 lacs more for a top variant India 2.0 model from both stables!
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 11:06   #5496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
Looking at the current state of new car prices increasing every year vis-a-vis missing features every subsequent MY, a good pre-worshipped gen 3.5 Octavia seems to be a much better option than going for new Slavias and Virtuses. More so for owners who are upgrading from a Rapid or a Vento; this lateral upgrade just makes so much more sense than paying 5-8 lacs more for a top variant India 2.0 model from both stables!
The car is definitely superior to the current offerings, but the buyer will need to have funds and time to fix something that will eventually fail. The repair bills will be big, it's meant for people who are OK with the downtime. The new cars will come with warranty and service package in most cases, you're on your own with the used one. The cheap finance on a new car is the other draw, most buyers will qualify for it.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 16:17   #5497
BHPian

The VAG battery sudden death syndrome struck me last week. I had checked my battery at TAFE Mangalore just three weeks before and all was well.

Morning, I had gone to Malpe beach and the car did not give me any telltale signs. But the car refused to start for the return journey. All the electrics were dead. Worse, the car wouldn't jump start with my friend's car as well. But, on the RSA's suggestion, I could jumpstart with a battery from the local Amaron dealer. But it was Oct 2nd, the workshop was closed. And to my luck, it was closed on Oct 3rd as well due to some audit going on.

Anyway, I got the battery changed at TAFE subsequently. Luckily, they had one battery in stock(usually they don't). I was even more lucky in that the battery had decided to die just 3 days before the battery warranty expired and I got a free battery!!. Now I am seriously considering buying the Bosch C7 battery charger.

As always, Skoda emails the link for feedback on the work done. On opening the link, I have to first give consent for sharing personal info. This time I read what I am signing into and I wonder whether feedback is what Skoda really wants.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-screenshot-20231010-154059.png

Last edited by Deep Blue : 11th October 2023 at 16:18.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 10:11   #5498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The car is definitely superior to the current offerings, but the buyer will need to have funds and time to fix something that will eventually fail. The repair bills will be big, it's meant for people who are OK with the downtime. The new cars will come with warranty and service package in most cases, you're on your own with the used one. The cheap finance on a new car is the other draw, most buyers will qualify for it.
While I agree with the logic, I am specifically referring to ones that are still in warranty which can be extended upto 6 years and a further 2, albeit at a slightly higher cost. The price difference for a 2019 octy as compared to a new VAG 2.0 OTR is more than enough to offset the service bills over 2-3 years. 2019 models still make a lot of sense and there are a lot of low mileage and well maintained ones that are easily available. Specifically MNC company owned ones which are generally well maintained and now available as most of these owners are due for an upgrade this year.

The cheaper finance is definitely a plus, but for people like me who generally never buy cars on finance and just invest in the market over a period of 5-8 years in monthly SIPs before making the purchase, a lateral upgrade like this makes more sense. But I hear you, probably a very small percentage of the population will have this approach.
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 16:40   #5499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
I was even more lucky in that the battery had decided to die just 3 days before the battery warranty expired and I got a free battery!!. Now I am seriously considering buying the Bosch C7 battery charger.
Attachment 2516420
You consider yourself Super Lucky. Now you get a free battery with 2 years of warranty. Congratulations !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shome View Post
While I agree with the logic, I am specifically referring to ones that are still in warranty which can be extended upto 6 years and a further 2, albeit at a slightly higher cost. The price difference for a 2019 octy as compared to a new VAG 2.0 OTR is more than enough to offset the service bills over 2-3 years. 2019 models still make a lot of sense and there are a lot of low mileage and well maintained ones that are easily available.
I exactly had the same view and hence went searching for a 2019 Octavia with Extended warranty and Low Mileage. These kind of cars are very rare to find, are expensive and would test your patience. There are cars, that are looking for their next worshipper, just keep on looking.
vivek.ks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 10:26   #5500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
You consider yourself Super Lucky. Now you get a free battery with 2 years of warranty. Congratulations !!
Not that lucky. The SA told me that the battery obtained in a warranty claim does not get a warranty!!. Strange logic.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2023, 17:56   #5501
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Not that lucky. The SA told me that the battery obtained in a warranty claim does not get a warranty!!. Strange logic.
I fear you maybe correct. Skoda informed me similarly when they changed my Varta battery under warranty after a year. Replacement battery warranty is up to the date of warranty of the original OEM battery.

This holds true in some of their warranty parts replacements too; weird but that is the way they operate in India. Mind you, your battery will fall in 2/3 years anyway. Change to a higher power Amaron or Exide unit then.
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 11:21   #5502
BHPian

Should I change my front brake rotors at 55k km?

What's the average mileage to replace the front disc rotors? I replaced the pads first at 25k km, and now it's 55k km (so 30k km on these pads). The ASC (EVM Skoda, Kochi) strongly recommend that I change the rotors too because it's beyond the threshold to skim. I usually trust these folks because they've been really good so far.

I know it's almost impossible to judge this without a good photo of the rotor or the exact measurements right now. That's why I'd like to know if anyone would be able to help me with the average life of these.
Old 16th October 2023, 20:07   #5503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
I exactly had the same view and hence went searching for a 2019 Octavia with Extended warranty and Low Mileage. These kind of cars are very rare to find, are expensive and would test your patience. There are cars, that are looking for their next worshipper, just keep on looking.
How much did you pay for yours, if you don't mind sharing
Old 27th October 2023, 00:27   #5504
BHPian

I have a 2019 Skoda Octavia. Recently the roller button on my steering cracked and the Skoda dealership has quoted 30K to replace it. I find this exorbitant. Any pointers where I can get a replacement done? Please refer images below. The part is available on Ebay and other sites for like 40-50 USD.
Attached Images

Old 27th October 2023, 12:59   #5505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
I have a 2019 Skoda Octavia. Recently the roller button on my steering cracked and the Skoda dealership has quoted 30K to replace it. I find this exorbitant. Any pointers where I can get a replacement done? Please refer images below. The part is available on Ebay and other sites for like 40-50 USD.
I have this button broken since Day 1 of my pre worshipped purchase. And I have learnt to live with it. I generally drive alone and seldom require volume changes so it’s ok for me.

Skoda will only say replace steering or entire unit.

I have procured the button via Aliexpress, shipped it to my cousin in Canada who got it here for me. Yet to get it installed.

Try the local chor bazaar as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks