Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2023, 01:46   #5521
Senior - BHPian

Re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir333 View Post
I feel the same vibrations when idle. The vibrations are not constant but come and go in a span of few seconds... I asked the service center guys to look and they always say either of the two things...
1. they dont feel any vibration
2. this is normal

Did you find a solution for this one or at least whats causing this?

Mine is a 2016 Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI (70,000 kms)
Check the mounts, especially if you feel vibration is from the engine bay and you also feel that while going on higher gears at lower speeds.
Old 28th December 2023, 00:50   #5522
Senior - BHPian

Last Week, the radiator fan started being super active. After parking the car, the fan would go all guns blazing and loud enough to scare the hell out of you. Shut down the engine and the fan would slow down however keep running for 5 minutes, yes, i timed it.

All this while the Temp Gauge is staying put at halfway mark which is normal.

Weather is not that hot out here in Bombay.
Coolant isn’t boiling. Oil Temp is normal.

Suddenly while driving, the temperature gauge starts rising, goes to red and then starts coming back as well. This dance continues for some time and I stop the car and wait for the fan to stop, which again happens after 5 mins.

Drove straight to Skoda.

Turned out to be a faulty coolant sensor.

There are 2 coolant sensors. One is easily accessible somewhere near the radiator on the left side (while facing the car). Other is buried down somewhere on the right. This apparently was the culprit.

The first sensor is easy to be removed and checked by hand. The second one apparently doesn’t come out easily and always breaks while removal, even if they want to remove it to check it (as per Skoda).

Once this was replaced, things are back to normal.

Basic service done. Rear Right ABS sensor was replaced. Airbag recall done and finally, fixed the volume scroller button on the steering.

This post is to share the information just in case someone else also faces an issue.

Car is 8 years old and is at 55k Kms.

Cheers,
Raj
Desmosedici is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 13:57   #5523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Once this was replaced, things are back to normal.

Basic service done. Rear Right ABS sensor was replaced. Airbag recall done and finally, fixed the volume scroller button on the steering.
Car is 8 years old and is at 55k Kms.
Cheers,
Raj

Thanks Raj for sharing.

This seems to be a lucky escape for you, I guess.

Just out of curiosity, what was the total damage to your pocket for the entire job ?

If possible, do share it item-wise.
Old 29th December 2023, 10:57   #5524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Thanks Raj for sharing.

This seems to be a lucky escape for you, I guess.

Just out of curiosity, what was the total damage to your pocket for the entire job ?

If possible, do share it item-wise.
25k damage to wallet. Skoda labour rates are sky high.

Plus this time they tried using the usual suspects - sunroof cleaning, fuel tank cleaning and cowl cleaning. Cowl was not even cleaned. Got these out of the bill.

Then they broke the ac vent clip while cleaning. Had to wait for that to get fixed.

This time, the seats were soiled badly. Had to ask them to clean it. The guy who came to clean the seats had a ScotchBrite type pad and a microfibre. Had to remind him not to use the scotchbrite thingy on the seats.

I am very much tempted to get my maintenance done by FNG and get major work, if any done at Skoda.

Attaching the bills for reference Dr. Vikas.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_6897.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_6896.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_6895.jpeg  

Desmosedici is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2023, 02:11   #5525
BHPian

Hi guys,

Is buying a 2016-17 Octavia 1.8 TSI or TDI DSG worth buying at 10-11L from Delhi or Mumbai despite me being from Hyderabad? Asking because I'm looking for a replacement for my 2014 Honda City Diesel sometime next year and a used Octavia is one of the contenders but undecided about whether I should go for TDI DSG or 1.8 TSI as our running will be less than 1000 Kms a month.

I'd like to go for 1.8 TSI but skeptical about DSG issues even though I have FNG, who mostly deals with VAGs and other Germans nearby while TDI DSG is a reliable and safe option but our usage doesn't warrant a Diesel considering that the car will be driven 20 Kms a day.
Old 30th December 2023, 08:45   #5526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Hi guys,

Is buying a 2016-17 Octavia 1.8 TSI or TDI DSG worth buying at 10-11L from Delhi or Mumbai despite me being from Hyderabad? Asking because I'm looking for a replacement for my 2014 Honda City Diesel sometime next year and a used Octavia is one of the contenders but undecided about whether I should go for TDI DSG or 1.8 TSI as our running will be less than 1000 Kms a month.

I'd like to go for 1.8 TSI but skeptical about DSG issues even though I have FNG, who mostly deals with VAGs and other Germans nearby while TDI DSG is a reliable and safe option but our usage doesn't warrant a Diesel considering that the car will be driven 20 Kms a day.
I cannot comment on the price as in Bangalore it’s priced high.
I would suggest to go for TDI and do a stage 1, car will be equally or more fun and fast like a stock 1.8 TSI. Also TDI is super reliable (though TSI has been reliable for couple of my friends) and you will have the diesel efficiency. That TDI is gem of an engine and enjoy it while it’s available.
Old 30th December 2023, 10:42   #5527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_guy1998 View Post
Hi guys,

TDI would still be better than TSI just for the DQ250 being more reliable than the DQ200.

DQ200s are also repairable now from expert FNGs.

Check for water pump, thermostat leaks. Check cooling coils, suspension and mounts before buying. Timing Belt as well depending on the age and kms.

Buying from outside state and registering in Hyd, won’t it be expensive rather than buying an In State car?
Old 5th January 2024, 19:21   #5528
BHPian

My 2019 make Octavia's (TSI) battery is on its last legs (25000Kms on the odo). It is out of warranty as I did not opt for the EW last year.
So now looking for replacing the battery. Is Exide 60 still the recommended option? And which battery shop is most reliable to go to in JP nagar or surrounding areas?
Old 6th January 2024, 07:19   #5529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
So now looking for replacing the battery. Is Exide 60 still the recommended option?
I changed my batteries twice to Exide DIN60 for around 6K each time after exchanging the old one. In my experience, the TSI batteries generally last 2-3 years anyway, hence did not go for anything more fancy.

I simply called up the Exide helpline and they sent the local fellow on his bike within 2 hours on a Sunday. Luckily no coding is required on the last generation Octavia, and only had to drive 200 metres for the errors to go away.

Don’t take any chances with a Octavia on a weak battery; as per Murphy’s Law, it will die on you at the worst possible time!
itwasntme is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 13:26   #5530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I simply called up the Exide helpline and they sent the local fellow on his bike within 2 hours on a Sunday. Luckily no coding is required on the last generation Octavia, and only had to drive 200 metres for the errors to go away.

Don’t take any chances with a Octavia on a weak battery; as per Murphy’s Law, it will die on you at the worst possible time!
Thanks! I did the same now, called Exide helpline (batmobile!) and they promptly sent a person within an hour to my house. The replacement was an Exide Epiq 74DIN model, the original battery being Varta 72DIN.
After the battery was replaced, the instrument cluster lit up with all warnings as you said, and driving it just out of the parking gate fixed all of them automatically.
Fortunately my car gave ample warning over the last few days, struggling with cold starts in the morning. I guess it would have completely died in another day.
nma83 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 06:52   #5531
BHPian

Hi Everyone & a very Happy New year,

For the last few months I notice the memory function on the driver seat doesn't seem to be working on my 1.8 TSI L&K. I have tried to do the setting using the memory function but it doesn't get stored and nor do I hear the ting sound when the setting is done.

Is there a setting on the touch screen panel that I am missing or should I take it to the Skoda workshop. I still have a 2 year extended warranty on the car. Look forward to your suggestions.
Old 9th January 2024, 19:25   #5532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi Everyone & a very Happy New year,

For the last few months I notice the memory function on the driver seat doesn't seem to be working on my 1.8 TSI L&K.
Is there a setting on the touch screen panel that I am missing
I knew that there had to be a simple solution to get the seat memory function working, rather than wasting my time taking it to the workshop. so researched it online and voila there is indeed a very simple solution for getting the seat memory function working. Just follow these basic steps.
Here's how to turn the seat memory function going:

1) Pull the seat all the way forward
2) Tilt the seat-back all the way forward

That's it !

Last edited by Timothy : 9th January 2024 at 19:48.
Timothy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 22:42   #5533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nma83 View Post
My 2019 make Octavia's (TSI) battery is on its last legs (25000Kms on the odo). It is out of warranty as I did not opt for the EW last year.
So now looking for replacing the battery. Is Exide 60 still the recommended option? And which battery shop is most reliable to go to in JP nagar or surrounding areas?
Does the Extended Warranty cover the battery as well? I was not aware of this and changed the battery of my 2019 Skoda Octavia in June this year. I do have the Extended Warranty active though.
Old 9th January 2024, 22:53   #5534
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick145 View Post
Does the Extended Warranty cover the battery as well?
No it doesn't. The battery has its own 2 year warranty. With reference to extended warranty, I think he meant since the car is not under extended warranty, installing a non-Skoda battery was not an issue.
SLK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 09:58   #5535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
No it doesn't. The battery has its own 2 year warranty. With reference to extended warranty, I think he meant since the car is not under extended warranty, installing a non-Skoda battery was not an issue.
Yes correct, I did not opt for the Skoda EW, gambling on the fact that I have not run it too much (just 25K Km right now). The car feels as good as new!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks