Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2021, 12:05   #4771
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
To me this seems like a Evaporator coil temperature sensor problem.
Also, Skoda Compressors are also known to be weak and fail early. I had two sets of compressors replaced on my Skoda Yeti (within 4 years) - both times under warranty.
Exactly, I had the same issue in my Aveo. Corrected by changing the child sensor but unsure if Skoda sells the sensor itself as a spare.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 12:51   #4772

Quote:
To me this seems like a Evaporator coil temperature sensor problem. Basically it is a sensor in the evaporator coil which prevents the coil temperature from going below 2 Degrees Celsius to prevent Icing on the coil. If this sensor malfunctions, it send a signal at much higher temperatures (say 10 Degrees) the cooling will be very mild in this case and when the temperature drops below this, it reduces the coolant flow in the VRF system to the compressor.
This sensor (as far as I know is integrated in the evaporator unit) and the evaporator unit may need to be changed.
Apart from this, also have them check the INcabin temperature sensor which could be showing a wrong in cabin temperature and hence cutting off the AC.
Thanks a lot!!! TAFE confirmed in the morning that the technical team from Skoda has reached the site and they are examining the vehicle. Will update with their reply soon

Last edited by benbsb29 : 5th March 2021 at 04:25. Reason: Edited for formatting and trimming long post quote.
Old 6th March 2021, 15:13   #4773

Quote:
To me this seems like a Evaporator coil temperature sensor problem. Basically it is a sensor in the evaporator coil which prevents the coil temperature from going below 2 Degrees Celsius to prevent Icing on the coil. If this sensor malfunctions, it send a signal at much higher temperatures (say 10 Degrees) the cooling will be very mild in this case and when the temperature drops below this, it reduces the coolant flow in the VRF system to the compressor.
This sensor (as far as I know is integrated in the evaporator unit) and the evaporator unit may need to be changed.
Apart from this, also have them check the INcabin temperature sensor which could be showing a wrong in cabin temperature and hence cutting off the AC.
The Skoda technical team inspected my vehicle on Wednesday and had given some "10 check points" data to be sent to them by TAFE team. Points 7 and 8 were related to Evaporator coil and the sensor and the last two points were related to the timing valve of compressor and compressor itself. And got an update about an hour back from the TAFE team that, they have identified it as an issue with the compressor itself. The evaporator coil, its sensor, the in-cabin temperature sensor - all seems to be fine. Skoda team have approved the replacement of the compressor and they are now checking the availability of stock for the same. TAFE promised a reply by EoD for the availability. Will keep you posted on the way forward on this.

Thanks a lot for all your advice and support

Last edited by Sheel : 6th March 2021 at 15:29. Reason: Please quote only the relevant bits of a post. Thanks.
njv555 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 00:32   #4774
BHPian

Hi Octavians,

Had anyone got a scratch guard / screen protector for 2017 model touchscreen? It's the top spec model. Had the screen cover from delivery intact for last 4 years. Last visit to Service center, this got spoiled. This screen collects a lot of dust, even though the drive is always with all Windows closed. Hence a bit worried on the scratches or visibility reduction due to swirl marks on the screen.

If anyone had got it, please share link or any other details, with tentative cost. Thanks.
Old 8th March 2021, 09:37   #4775
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
Hi Octavians,

Had anyone got a scratch guard / screen protector for 2017 model touchscreen? It's the top spec model. Had the screen cover from delivery intact for last 4 years. Last visit to Service center, this got spoiled. This screen collects a lot of dust, even though the drive is always with all Windows closed. Hence a bit worried on the scratches or visibility reduction due to swirl marks on the screen.

If anyone had got it, please share link or any other details, with tentative cost. Thanks.
Used this to cut out a film. The good part, it doesn't catch fingerprints and oil and dust. The bad part, at very particular angle of sun (happened once in a month with me so far), the film reflects and the screen appears faded.

https://www.amazon.in/CVANU-Transpar...176155&sr=8-22

Also, based on my experience of putting this on the exterior paint, this acts like a PPF when trying to get off (i.e. hard to get off, unless warm/ hot), not sure how it behaves on glass.

Last edited by SLK : 8th March 2021 at 09:40.
Old 8th March 2021, 17:02   #4776

Quote:
Originally Posted by njv555 View Post
The Skoda technical team inspected my vehicle on Wednesday and had given some "10 check points" data to be sent to them by TAFE team. Points 7 and 8 were related to Evaporator coil and the sensor and the last two points were related to the timing valve of compressor and compressor itself. And got an update about an hour back from the TAFE team that, they have identified it as an issue with the compressor itself. The evaporator coil, its sensor, the in-cabin temperature sensor - all seems to be fine. Skoda team have approved the replacement of the compressor and they are now checking the availability of stock for the same. TAFE promised a reply by EoD for the availability. Will keep you posted on the way forward on this.

Thanks a lot for all your advice and support
Totally stuck with Skoda. They have ordered the compressor today. It's Sanden make. They took 2 days to confirm the part to be ordered. And the sad part is that I need to wait till this Friday, another 4 days, to know the arrival date! And God only knows when the arrival date is! I really can't understand how things are working in Skoda! Can anyone tell me what to do next? I have owned 4 cars before this; but never had such a pathetic response from any other vendor before.
Old 8th March 2021, 17:49   #4777
BHPian

In case anyone is wondering about the long-term mileage of a 1.8 TSI engine, I keep track of my refills on a Google spreadsheet(I started recording this only after 1.6k km). It's a full-tank to full-tank calculation. I started recording this on 22/October/2019 and the last entry is made on 07/March/2021.

If you drive between 70kmph and 90kmph on highways, the number easily goes above 12kmpl. It even goes above 15kmpl if it's a long enough drive without you getting itchy to floor it when you get an open road.

I've had my car sit in the service centre way more than it should because of issues like a sunroof replacement, AC vent replacement etc. But all that frustration goes away once you sit in the driver seat and start driving this thing. Here is a picture just for fun.
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20200930_195843_971.jpg
anaghp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 07:34   #4778

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaghp View Post
In case anyone is wondering about the long-term mileage of a 1.8 TSI engine, I keep track of my refills on a Google spreadsheet(I started recording this only after 1.6k km). It's a full-tank to full-tank calculation. I started recording this on 22/October/2019 and the last entry is made on 07/March/2021.

If you drive between 70kmph and 90kmph on highways, the number easily goes above 12kmpl. It even goes above 15kmpl if it's a long enough drive without you getting itchy to floor it when you get an open road.

I've had my car sit in the service centre way more than it should because of issues like a sunroof replacement, AC vent replacement etc. But all that frustration goes away once you sit in the driver seat and start driving this thing. Here is a picture just for fun.
Attachment 2130176
Totally agree! The vehicle is a gem and if they had better service to back up the vehicle, the brand would have reached different heights! Couple of snaps attached to confirm the mileage at 2 different average speeds and all above 500km distance and taken in Oct and Nov 2020.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20201204_1345290101.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-20201124_11185101.jpeg  

Old 9th March 2021, 11:24   #4779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaghp View Post

Attachment 2130176
Totally agree! I have got 16 kmpl while driving from Bangalore to pondicherry and regularly gets 13+ while driving to Kerala. And I don't always keep it under 90.

I do sedate driving (80-90) for sometime and when the average fuel efficiency looks fine, I floor it .
Also, I have noticed that 15-16 kmpl can be achieved only when I'm using cruise control and that obviously happens in good highways.

Here's a pic of my car.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20190322_133119.jpg  

Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 15:03   #4780
BHPian

Hi guys,
my one year old Octavia 1.8 Tsi L&K, in an impeccable condition though, seems to have developed a bit of an unusual issue. For the last 3-4 days a loud alarm (like an auto theft alarm) seems to be going off in the parked car stationary car about a couple of times a day accompanied by the blinking of the indicator lights. There is no malfunction indicator sign on the dashboard and no issues in driving the car, whatsoever. It is running as smooth as ever.

I spoke with the Skoda service centre and they asked me to send them a video which I managed to capture this afternoon and shared it with them. They have asked me to bring the car and say they will scan it and see if there is any malfunction.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue ? or can shed some light on this. Many thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 23:27   #4781
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I spoke with the Skoda service centre and they asked me to send them a video which I managed to capture this afternoon and shared it with them. They have asked me to bring the car and say they will scan it and see if there is any malfunction.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue ? or can shed some light on this. Many thanks
We can help you as well provided you share the video here as well.

The Octavia has motion sensors internally. You might want to check if some flying insect or worse a rat is inside the cabin. Will explain why the anti theft is getting triggered.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 13:54   #4782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The Octavia has motion sensors internally. You might want to check if some flying insect or worse a rat is inside the cabin. Will explain why the anti theft is getting triggered.
Hi Vid,
Many thanks for your prompt response. It is a pretty standard auto theft alarm which goes off, and as soon as I unlock the car it switches off. The funny thing is that it seems to be happening in the afternoons only... I don't know if it has anything to do with the rising temperatures in Delhi, although it is not that hot right now. I did try to look for insects or a mouse.... but nothing there or in the boot or inside the bonnet also.
Actually my wife who is a doctor has been using the car to commute to the hospital as I am working from home, and the parking attendant had told her about the alarm going off in the parking lot last week, but we didn't really pay attention as nothing like that was happening at home , but yesterday being a Sunday the alarm went off again in the afternoon and while the car was covered (I cover it every night without fail) and today the car is at home and again it went off at around 1.30 PM.
I don't know what to make of this......
any advise on this would be highly appreciated. I didn't take it to Skoda today as I thought I would observe it for one more day but the alarm went off again this afternoon, twice. After a minute or two the alarm sound shuts off but the indicator lights kept on blinking till the car is unlocked.
Old 15th March 2021, 14:27   #4783
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Hi Vid,
I don't know what to make of this......
To find the issue, try this. Turn off the interior monitor system.

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-annotation-20210315-142007.png

If the issue stops - means there is probably something in your car! Could be a lizard (very common! which gets very active with noon heat) - not sure if it can trigger the alarm though.

If it doesn't then you need to rule our other causes (specifically check all door/ boot/ bonnet sensor and clean them if possible):
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-annotation-20210315-142416.png
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-annotation-20210315-142518.png
SLK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 17:53   #4784
BHPian

Hi SLK,
Many thanks for sending the relevant information from the car manual. Actually I had also gone through it last night, but it is good to have this info handy.

Ok so here is an update on the car so far. Took it to Brite Skoda in Noida this afternoon around 3.00 PM & although they were extremely busy and had lots of cars for Servicing, but they still attended to me promptly, which I was actually quite impressed with.
They straight away plugged the system to scan the car to perform the GFF test. The battery on the spare key was showing to be weak (although I had brought the normal key whose battery was replaced during the first service in January this year). They said there is a small possibility that this could be triggering the anti theft alarm and also in the car system memory, an error on anti theft alarm was showing. This was only in the system memory and not the actual test. So they said that they will erase it from the memory and hope it would work.

They (the person performing the test & his senior) said that in case the problem comes back, then I should bring back the car with both the keys and take out time for them to perform all the tests thoroughly and if required they may keep the car with them for a day or so.

I also asked them to check the car battery as a sudden low voltage can also trigger the alarm. The immediately arranged for the machine to check the same and the battery was perfectly fine and showed good a charge & current. I am aware that the power source for the anti theft alarm is different from the normal car battery but sometimes a sudden change in voltage can also trigger this.

So I will observe the car for another day and if there is NO alarm trigger tomorrow, then I will ask my wife to continue to take it to the hospital. As I mentioned in my earlier post she is a Doc. and says that she would be extremely embarrassed if this reoccurs in the hospital parking lot again, which is a quiet zone.

so thats it for the moment. Further updates as warranted. Thanks for all your timely assistance and advise folks which I always appreciate. I also try and return back to the forum as much as possible..... cheers !
Old 17th March 2021, 17:32   #4785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

The alarm theft activation still hasn't been solved inspite of having taken the car twice to the service centre. The funny thing is that the alarm gets activated only in the afternoons They can't seem to find any problem with the car.

Do you think the fault could be with some internal motion sensors and something to do with the rising temperatures in the afternoon ? Has anyone ever experienced this, ever ?

This afternoon the alarm kept going off every 3-4 minutes and finally I had to deactivate the internal sensors from the car settings menu.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks