Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2021, 19:46   #4801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Searched almost all tyre shops in Bangalore. No stocks of Michelin or Yoko Advan series. My requirement is something similar in characteristics to Michelin PS4. Plan to go with stock size.

Now the remaining options are

4. MRF Perfinza - MRF dealers have been promoting this big time. However, I take their views with a pinch of salt. Not sure of MRF tyre will be of the same league as Yoko or Michelin.

Appreciate any advice to help me decide on this.
You can go with MRF Perfinzas. These are rated in a very good way by few senior BHPians like Nikhil B. You can read through his ownership thread where he had given a very detailed description of the performance in his Octavia vRS. You can search bhp threads as well. My next change will be the Perfinzas.

And have you checked on the Pirellis. I had changed to them in my Octavia TDI last year - P6 - and done about 10k kms as of now. Good grips, very silent and supple on broken roads as well as high triple digits speed's. Breaking is excellent. Preferred them over the Michelin. And not disappointed till now.
Karvel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2021, 14:10   #4802
BHPian

re: Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
You can go with MRF Perfinzas. These are rated in a very good way by few senior BHPians like Nikhil B. You can read through his ownership thread where he had given a very detailed description of the performance in his Octavia vRS. You can search bhp threads as well. My next change will be the Perfinzas.
Yes, I had read Nikhil's review on Perfinzas. However, to take a risk with MRF, I needed more data from other users. Came across another review from Dr.Anto where he says the road noise was on the higher side especially after 20k kms. This is a big deal breaker for me and hence considering other options.
Old 6th April 2021, 08:13   #4803
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

A small tip for skoda owners. The recommended key fob battery is a 2025. It is often not so easy to get, and lots of fakes or ones which are old.

The fob also takes the 2032. Much easier to get good ones, and as they are thicker last much longer.
nidhikapoor is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 20:32   #4804
Distinguished - BHPian

Curious - has anyone tried to update the torsion beam suspension to multi link? Is it just a swap job?
Old 6th April 2021, 20:54   #4805
Distinguished - BHPian

Might be 64K km & 5+ years old but there is something timeless & modern in the Octavia:
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20210406_181946.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20210406_181935.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20210406_181914.jpg  

itwasntme is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th April 2021, 21:03   #4806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Curious - has anyone tried to update the torsion beam suspension to multi link? Is it just a swap job?
No, its not just a swap job. Specific link points at specific locations are needed on the vehicle chassis to tie the suspension links which are absent in a vehicle equipped with torsion beam suspension setup.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 10:45   #4807
BHPian

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-img_20210404_195810.jpg
On my recent trip from banglore to pune I was able to get an average speed of 83 Kmph from start to end. Pune to Bangalore is much better via Pandharpur. Less crowd, hence free roads.
vikrantshete is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 23:19   #4808

I’ve finished my one year service recently and gave my car for the yearly ceramic pro maintenance. Was wondering about upsizing the alloys and tyres.
I have one concern that troubles me. There are people who have said have faced wobbling with lenso dyna jäger 17 inch alloys on the Octavia and I’m scared of the same. Is it avoidable or should I just settle for some other brand. I was thinking of going for the contisport 5 225/45/r17 and any comments on the same are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
CJ0010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 19:02   #4809
BHPian

Looking at the 4 generations of Skoda Octavia, I still think that the 3rd Generation model is the smartest looking, especially from the front. The 4th Generation has a lot going for it, but definitely not as far as the front fascia is concerned.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skoda-india.jpeg  

Timothy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 20:52   #4810
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Looking at the 4 generations of Skoda Octavia, I still think that the 3rd Generation model is the smartest looking, especially from the front. The 4th Generation has a lot going for it, but definitely not as far as the front fascia is concerned.
The 3rd-gen single headlight version looks better than the split headlight one, in my opinion. Having said that, I still think the 4th-gen is far better looking - front and back, but, the wheels? Sheesh!

Last edited by Aditya : 16th April 2021 at 19:51. Reason: Formatting
nidhikapoor is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th April 2021, 07:09   #4811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Interesting picture, but they forgot the Laura, which IMHO, is still the most handsome, chiselled looking...

Well, the split headlight design doesn't agree with me at all and the last gen is now starting to look jaded. The new one is much fresher, though the grill looks a bit off in the chromed versions.
Old 18th April 2021, 08:37   #4812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Interesting picture, but they forgot the Laura, which IMHO, is still the most handsome, chiselled looking...
I think second from right is Laura. They haven't included the non-split headlight third Gen Octavia, which in my opinion the the best looking when launched.

Obviously all new designs will eventually grow on you and you start liking it compared to the previous design. Hence, I started to like the split headlight.
Lambydude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2021, 10:20   #4813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
I think second from right is Laura. They haven't included the non-split headlight third Gen Octavia, which in my opinion the the best looking when launched.

Obviously all new designs will eventually grow on you and you start liking it compared to the previous design. Hence, I started to like the split headlight.
Should've been more specific...the first laura/octavia II is my favourite.

I agree, some designs may grow...
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-images-3.jpeg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-skodaoctaviavrs3.jpg  

Review: Skoda Octavia (3rd-gen)-images-4.jpeg  

d_himan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2021, 12:14   #4814
Senior - BHPian

Hi All

Need suggestions / advise -

I have a 2016 Octavia TDI manual and has currently run 60k kms.

Last month I got Stage 1 remap (Pete's Cochin) done and updated my dampers to Bilstein B6. With the remap, during heavy acceleration in 2nd gear, my 205 Pirelli P6s are losing traction. Decided to upsize to 17 inchers, also i feel 16 inchers are small for Octavia with those huge gaps.

Option 1: 225 45 17 - I understand this is the right option for upsize as the deviation from stock is only 0.4%. However there is more risk of tyres / alloys damage and stiffer ride. On +ve this will look better and car should handle better.

Option 2: 225 50 17 - This will have an error of 4%, higher than the suggested threshold of 2% and this will also mean speedo error. On +ve this will have slightly better ride and lesser risk of tyre damage.

For now I am more inclined towards option 1 and see how this will perform.

Any views on 225 50 17? Will the error of 4% will have any other impact to the vehicle, other than the speedo and odometer?

Appreciate any feedback
sunikkat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 11:18   #4815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunikkat View Post
Option 1: 225 45 17 - I understand this is the right option for upsize as the deviation from stock is only 0.4%. However there is more risk of tyres / alloys damage and stiffer ride. On +ve this will look better and car should handle better.
Congrats on the upgrades! Sure it'll be a hoot to drive! I agree as the first option is the 'only' option you have other than sticking to 16" wheels with fatter rubber. I regret not upgrading to 17s when I bought the BBS wheels, since the tyre sizes I need are now not available anywhere. I am on 225/50/16 Michelin PS3 (3rd set)

I do feel that Michelin PS4 on stock rims will also suffice your needs. Hunt if you can find 225/50 tyres, I am currently on wait list with Yokohama for the AE51's. Although upgrading to 17s is what you should do, you could consider saving some cash and stick to 16s. If you do decide to upgrade, 225/45/17 is the way. Tyre availability opens up in those sizes considerably.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks