Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2016, 12:58   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home

Yes, I bit the bullet and got the car remapped. For all you guys with ADD, here's a TL;DR

Do note that my thoughts pertain to the DSG shod Jetta specifically.

What I like about Pete’s remap
  • Plenty of power on tap in the top end. Car pulls very cleanly at higher speeds.
  • Very civilized power delivery, nothing spiky.
  • Ample power on demand ensures that the gearbox doesn’t hunt for gears now .
  • At Rs.14,250+Taxes+courier charges, it’s great value for money

What I don’t like about Pete’s remap
  • Doesn’t pin me back into my seat nearly enough.
  • The car was off the road for almost a week as the ECU went to Kochi. Comparable tuners get the job done in a few hours.
  • Low-end hasn’t been beefed up that much, something MT users might want to address.

Laying down the rubber

Notably, tyre spin is now much more evident on the stock 205/55 tyres. A tyre upgrade becomes almost imminent once you get the remap, only the most sedate of drivers will find a tyre upgrade unnecessary.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-2.0-tdi-sada.jpeg

How much is too much when it comes to power?

As a man much wiser than me once said (which is most of the people I come across), “Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely”.

There are those who would say “Boss, where will you use that extra power? (Insert city name) is a cesspool of traffic and you’re constantly going at 5 KMPH. Mileage is where it’s at. BTW, kitna deti hai?”

To these people, I say “Go f*** (flog) yourself” as I proceed to thump my chest and do something manly, like holding my wife’s bags gingerly as we trudge through the shopping mall.

To put it simply, no amount of power is ever enough. In fact, the laws of diminishing marginal utility simply do not apply to the pursuit of power and pleasure when it comes to BHP, it was stated as the sole exception to the rule by whoever defined that rule, but sadly this little nugget of information has been lost to the sands of time for it was not recorded.

Upgrade or not to upgrade, that’s not even a question

The recent recall (no Volkswagen, it’s not an upgrade, unless your definition differs from mine significantly) of VW’s (ironically labelled clean) diesel engines impacted owners of the TDI engines such as yours truly. And the bigger they are, the harder they fall. The 2.0 TDI is a workhorse for the VAG group, but it’s appeal to car nuts is visible to all, but the blindest of men. It’s infinitely moddable, delivers plenty of punch in stock avatar, frugally sips on the devil’s fuel as you motor (or hurtle) along and Mother Nature too was quite happy with it tootling along.

Clearly, one of those things is no longer true, as Dieselgate so clearly proved.

VW executives were calling me so often to get the car “upgraded” that it felt a bit like a needy girlfriend was calling me often in an effort to understand why we were breaking up.

“What is it? What happened? We were so good together...why won’t you return to me?”

“It’s not you, honey. It’s me. I just don’t feel I deserve you...r upgrade.”

But Volkswagen was having none of this and decided that whether I like it or not, I was going to have my precious toy taken away from my unrelenting grasp.

Somewhere during all of this, Tanveer and I chatted about his thoughts on the all-new old Jetta and long story short, his description made the Jetta sound like a lazy pet that refused to leave its cozy spot by the fireplace. That’s not the Jetta I knew and loved, and it disheartened me slightly to hear of his account.

The plan was to get a taste of the all-new old Jetta and see how it felt to drive, but life is what happens to you as you’re busy planning. Tanveer and I mulled over the idea getting a remap for the car and decided that it was the only way to get the Jetta to feel like the chariot of yore. Yes, that means running a bit dirty to retain the outstanding performance and fuel economy we’re accustomed to with the 2.0 TDI, which are likely the main reasons you purchased one of these babies, and so it was that we took the plunge and decided to add a healthy dose of power to our teutonic damsels so that they could lift their steel skirts and really run like the wind. For all its positives, the Jetta felt only acceptably quick and the itch to set this right had set in a long time back.

Back in Black! A VW Jetta Highline DSG comes home EDIT: Sold!-diesel-kermit.jpg

Pyaar tuner kya kiya

It was decided then, a remap was to be done. But from whom? Well, Tuneotronics was my first choice, and I was prepared to shell out the Rs. 35,000 or so it would take to get the job done. But sometimes fate decrees to change your plans without you having the slightest inkling of it.

A quick chat with Pete’s revealed that they had a map that would see the car trundle along with a measly 190 BHP while making the most of a piddly 400 NM of torque, which is vital since that’s the most usable performance metric for us city slickers. The catch (isn’t there always one?) is that the ECU’s would have to be sent to Kochi if the franchise in Mumbai couldn’t unlock the ECU (spoiler alert: he couldn’t) and if that happened, it would take about a week to get the car back.

The stalemate of picking one tuner or another was broken by Pete's, who launched a Christmas special offer of Rs. 14250 plus taxes for the remap, an offer too good to refuse as the Godfather would say. The only fly in the ointment, besides the hiatus without the car, was that courier charges totaling Rs. 1100 were tacked on as well at delivery, but after almost 2 weeks without the car by the time I got it back (5-6 days at VW and 6-7 days at the tuner), I was in no mood to bargain and just wanted my trusty steed back. Total damages came to Rs. 17585 including some labor charges and miscellaneous taxes.

The big question then...

...How is it to drive, and would I recommend it?

In a word, and this really is the short answer, absolutely.

To all you sadomasochists that want to read my endless droning, read on for my account of how the 2.0 TDI paired with a DSG feels.

First up, the car didn’t feel that different as I rolled out onto the street. The car sounded more refined to my ears (perhaps a placebo effect), but it didn’t feel like I had a caged animal waiting to be unleashed under that hood. It was all very civilized and controlled, which disappointed the hedonist in me no end.

However, there is an important distinction to be made here. I wanted the remapped Mamba to have some bite and venom, but I wanted it to be a brute in a suit, a comfortable cruiser that could change character at a flick of my heel. Sensible in the streets, but a devil under the (metal) sheets, if you would.

This was no more apparent to me than when I took to the Bandra Worli Sea Link on the way back. The car was controlled, refined and almost effortless in traffic thanks to a reasonable (but not too large) increase in the power band at the lower band. However, I was more keen to see the way it responded when I really gave it the beans. Believe you me, I am not a boy racer and I will not put pedal to the metal in most circumstances (unless it’s quasi-legal), but I couldn’t resist the temptation on this occasion.

As I turned off onto the strip of asphalt that snaked towards the Taj Land’s End, I slotted it into sports mode and gave an executive order to release all those ponies under the hood. Save for an initial wave of torque that pinned me back in my seat, the progress did not perhaps seem as rapid as I might have liked or envisioned.

It was a few seconds later that I felt something off, what with everything flying past me in a blur and it was at this moment that I chose to look down at the speedometer and was near horrified by the sight that greeted me; I had hit unmentionable, immensely illegal triple digit speeds in next to no time, numbers that would have had the police and their speed guns aimed squarely at me. For all the changes in its character, the Jetta still masked speed beautifully and I simply didn’t realize that I was hurtling along at breakneck speed. The Jetta used to previously progress a touch slowly beyond 150 KMPH, let’s just say that’s no longer an issue even until the car hits the double ton.

This remap then has made the car far more eager to be driven hard and it loves the open road more than ever. Sometimes, no matter how sane a driver you are, you will slam that right foot into the bulkhead and just go hell for leather. For all those times when there is no room for restraint, the Jetta now just goes like a bat out of hell in whatever direction its nose happens to be pointing. Combine that with the car’s immensely threadable nature, which makes its size shrink around you, and you have a recipe for thrills aplenty in the offing.

So, in summary then…

...this remap has turned a comfortable cruiser into a bit of a cruise missile, although you won’t uncover that until you’re into triple digits. The gearbox too isn’t as ponderous, with the car now responding rapidly to my decision to mash my foot into the bulkhead as I attempt to teach that errant taxi the error of his ways. I have also observed that the car now idles at 750 RPM when idle, and I can swear the gearbox is in a higher gear that it was previously at similar speeds, presumably making the most of the additional wave of torque at its disposal.

Coincidentally, I’m told that I should also enjoy a slight uptick in mileage, but I don’t think I’ll get to see that as I’m far too busy mashing the throttle and grinning in glee every time I get a slightly open piece of road. Small price to pay, I reckon. Until next time, surakshit rahe, savdhaan rahe. Jai Hind. *cue Anup Phoney’s salute*

Last edited by iliketurtles : 20th December 2016 at 13:26. Reason: Typo :(, plus added a point
iliketurtles is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 13:26   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Do note that my thoughts pertain to the DSG shod Jetta specifically.

What I like about Pete’s remap
[list][*]Plenty of power on tap in the top end. Car pulls very cleanly at higher speeds.*
hey man, nice to read the detailed report and review on remap.

i have a query here,
is it possible that since yours is DSG and it may not allow all that low end torque to act in the low range? Any change in 0-100 drivability?

I am awaiting tanveer's review once he writes during weekend, any way i have also decided to hop on this remap boat and possibly explore the new beast. The main reason for opting for remap is to delay the itch of upgrading to another car in near future. My sasha has everything i want from it, eventhough trendline (except those beautiful looking bi-xenon headlamp setup).

I am based in ahmedabad and i am sure i also have to courier the ECU to cochi and wait. Petes dealer here is very small and runs a hyundai service station. I will make the payment before christmas and then get the thing done in January, since its all booked tightly till then.
Old 20th December 2016, 13:38   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
hey man, nice to read the detailed report and review on remap.
Thankoo!

Quote:
i have a query here,
is it possible that since yours is DSG and it may not allow all that low end torque to act in the low range? Any change in 0-100 drivability?
To be fair, low-end torque was not really an issue for me, and if they added a chunk of torque at the lower end the car would crawl far more aggressively in traffic. Tanveer tells me that he's not worried about the low-end torque either in his Jetta, so something tells me my concerns amount to nothing.

In terms of 0-100 drivability, I'd say the car now drives far more eagerly than before and I haven't timed it, but it is noticeably quicker, no doubt. In day-to-day conditions, driveability has improved with lesser inputs needed from me to coax the car along. This remap has complemented the cruising nature of the Jetta and coaxed a heck of a lot of performance out of it, I'm sure that as time goes by it'll grow on me still further.

Quote:
I have also decided to hop on this remap boat and possibly explore the new beast. The main reason for opting for remap is to delay the itch of upgrading to another car in near future.
Very similar outlook for me. I had bought the Jetta as a long-termer, and so this little upgrade will help keep me happy for quite some time. It's hard to imagine an upgrade to the Jetta once you start looking at the options. Right now, I can only really see a pre-owned 530D or the likes as an upgrade.

Quote:
I am based in ahmedabad...Petes dealer here is very small and runs a hyundai service station. I will make the payment before christmas and then get the thing done in January, since its all booked tightly till then.
I hope you won't have to courier the ECU to Kochi, but it's wise to make the payment and book your spot, so to speak. Pete's Christmas offer is ridiculously good value for money, even with the 1 week delay factored in.

Tanveer should be getting his car any day now, so I expect him to chime in with his thoughts soonish.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 20th December 2016 at 13:39. Reason: Typo. Gah!!!!
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 14:35   #334
BHPian

Thanks for your quick replies.
By the way, are you thinking about upgrading the DSG software to take full advantage of the torque? Below is the excerpt from chetan's post on petes remap:

Note for AT users: Although AT uses the same MQ350 as in MT, AT gear boxes contain heaver clutch plates than MT. Therefore, AT can be tuned for a higher torque that the MT. But since torque is digitally limited to 350Nm by the DSG CPU, any remap will logically require the DSG software to be upgraded. This upgrade will enhance the torque limit as required. Otherwise, DSG will not synchronize with the engine torque delivery and can result in shift delays at higher torques.
Old 20th December 2016, 14:40   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your quick replies.
By the way, are you thinking about upgrading the DSG software to take full advantage of the torque? Below is the excerpt from chetan's post on petes remap: *snip*
I remember reading that, but Pete's quoted 400 NM as the remapped torque figure. After driving the car for approx. 150 kilometres post the remap, I can tell you with complete honesty that I didn't experience any delay higher up the power band. If and when I go for a stage 2 remap I'll definitely get it done, but I don't plan to do so at this point in time. Heck, I've barely used the sequential shift mode or paddle shifters. I suspect it'll be absolutely manic, so no concerns whatsoever on the power delivery front.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 14:44   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

I got a T-O-T map on the Laura around 45Kkm ago, and the car has been absolutely brilliant!
Even with 225s, there was considerable wheelspin, and your remarks are pretty spot on!

From what I understand though - the DSG gearbox, unlike TC gearboxes are not that quick off the mark in the initial rpms and there isn't much an engine remap can do to solve it. In an MT gearbox, you will definitely feel the difference from lower rpms.
The real beauty though lies in the mid-range! Heck, with the engine upshifting at around 4,000rpm, and staying in the torque band - the car flies to unmentionable speeds, and I just don't see any reason to engage S mode (Haven't in the longest time!).
Play around with the car, and stick to the torque curve - and she will perform like a beauty!
Plus sides also include a smoother engine, and FE is not impacted at all. The car is just so much more eager to plug in that gap in traffic!
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 14:54   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I got a T-O-T map on the Laura around 45Kkm ago, and the car has been absolutely brilliant!
As a matter of fact, I remember reading your thread with rapt attention. Yours, Akshay's and Kryptonite's experiences with T-O-T nudged me in their direction, but as fate would have it I went elsewhere.

Quote:
From what I understand though - the DSG gearbox, unlike TC gearboxes are not that quick off the mark in the initial rpms and there isn't much an engine remap can do to solve it. In an MT gearbox, you will definitely feel the difference from lower rpms. The real beauty though lies in the mid-range!
Sounds about right, the car slithers along a bit to begin with and really comes to life once it enters the meat of that power band. It's an intoxicating feeling really.

Quote:
With the engine upshifting at around 4,000rpm, and staying in the torque band - the car flies to unmentionable speeds, and I just don't see any reason to engage S mode (Haven't in the longest time!).
I was honestly a bit surprised at how quickly the speedo was racking up the numbers (given I was accustomed to a certain pace earlier), but yeah, S mode will be a bit of a rarity. I rarely ever used it before, this remap will ensure it remains even more unused since the car pulls cleanly all the way through D. Heady stuff!
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 15:10   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was honestly a bit surprised at how quickly the speedo was racking up the numbers (given I was accustomed to a certain pace earlier), but yeah, S mode will be a bit of a rarity. I rarely ever used it before, this remap will ensure it remains even more unused since the car pulls cleanly all the way through D. Heady stuff!
Honestly, being a diesel - the redline is just more noise and smoke than actual go!
Since you're from Mumbai - trust me, forget what others say, every gap you close in is going to plaster a smile on your face. You may not reach your destination faster thanks to traffic - but you will have fun doing it!

Get some sticky premium rubber - 225 size, and see the difference in the pick up at lower speeds too! No more wasting energy on wheelspins, and the car just shoots forward when on a rolling start around 30-40kmph!
Old 20th December 2016, 15:52   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Get some sticky premium rubber - 225 size, and see the difference in the pick up at lower speeds too! No more wasting energy on wheelspins, and the car just shoots forward when on a rolling start around 30-40kmph!
That sounds delicious! I fully intend to make the switch to Pilot Sports 3's by this weekend. I was due for a tyre change in about a month or two, but I'm bringing that plan forward to this weekend. The car should be wearing new shoes by Sunday.
Old 20th December 2016, 16:33   #340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That sounds delicious! I fully intend to make the switch to Pilot Sports 3's by this weekend. I was due for a tyre change in about a month or two, but I'm bringing that plan forward to this weekend. The car should be wearing new shoes by Sunday.
Where are you getting PS3's from? Also - finding 225/50R16 is a difficult task with most dealers asking for a hefty premium! One of the reasons I am stuck back with 205s (that, and 40Kkm later I am over the wheelspin joy - more of rolling starts for me)

Make sure they aren't P3ST's which are more comfort oriented. If not, be on the look out for Yoko Advan Sports. Continental CSC5's are very good too - using them on the 5 series, but on wet roads they lose traction pretty quick (say the newly layered marine drive type of roads).

I had Michelin Primacy HP in 225s on the Laura, and as mentioned by Nikhil - the Michelin P3STs which I am currently sporting are a notch lower than the Primacy HPs. The Primacy HPs, being comfort oriented tyres still had significant wheel spin and flex when cornering/changing lanes quick; hence just advising you to ensure you get really good sticky performance rubber!

May just be a good time to upsize to 17's too!

Last edited by lamborghini : 20th December 2016 at 16:34.
Old 20th December 2016, 16:39   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where are you getting PS3's from? Also - finding 225/50R16 is a difficult task with most dealers asking for a hefty premium!

I checked with Premji's at Mahim and he claimed to have it after I specifically asked for it. Now that you mention it, I'll double check with him just to be sure.

Quote:
Make sure they aren't P3ST's which are more comfort oriented. If not, be on the look out for Yoko Advan Sports.

Duly noted. Will check for both.

Quote:
May just be a good time to upsize to 17's too!

Let's not get greedy now, I want to leave a little something for later too :P
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 19:12   #342
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up turtle, I sure did enjoy driving your car after the map, Its begging for a tyre swap now, And surely mine too considering i am still on stock tyres! Mid range felt meaty, Lets hope to drive my MT and your AT back to back and see if there is any difference in the way they both would put down the power.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 22:36   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Nice write up turtle, I sure did enjoy driving your car after the map, Its begging for a tyre swap now, And surely mine too considering i am still on stock tyres! Mid range felt meaty, Lets hope to drive my MT and your AT back to back and see if there is any difference in the way they both would put down the power.
All in good time, man. This weekend sounds good, let's catch up then and tick this one off the checklist.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 18:38   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes, I bit the bullet and got the car remapped. For all you guys with ADD, here's a TL;DR
Wow Karan. Fantastic review. After reading your experience, I think I am going to take the same path when time comes to send the Jetta for the 3rd year service, come April. Thanks for the detailed review of what happens to the Jetta after VW's so-called upgrade and the remap
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 19:13   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I bit the bullet and got the car remapped
Hey great review and congratulations on the remap. I guess out goes the warranty for sure. So what about when your car goes in for the scheduled service? Would they not scan the car and update the software again? Would you need to remap the car again of did I miss something in your post?
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks