Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 08:44   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: "Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC - Golden Brown - Royalty on Wheels!

The mats for the driver side are not fitted properly. They cannot go so much behind the clutch and accelerator.

Please ensure that they don't interfere with the clutch pedal. Even though they may not seem to interfere the metal arm of the pedal can touch the mat preventing the clutch from depressing fully.

Same for gas pedal. If you press the pedal all the way down the pedal may get caught in the mat and not spring back up.

Don't cut the mat bigger than the OE size in general.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 16:04   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Take a look at the Post No.: 178 from my thread where I did buy a pair of 3D mats for INR 2800.
Looks great, and at a decent budget too. Might source them from my local guy once these wear out and see if he can get a few pairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Glad you got the mats. The 5.5K I spent on the 3M Nomad Mats did pinch me when I bought it but now I'm very happy with it and my family loves the carpet like feel of it. It rained pretty heavily in Bangalore few days back and my shoes were all into dirty water/mud and the mats took it all inside and hardly any dirt visible on top.
Indeed. These are very soft and cushiony, and don't feel like mats at all! My feet sink into them very nicely. As for the dust/dirt, these are the best options out there, IMO.

Quote:
One suggestion on the mats for rear. I was planning to go for 1 piece as well but the 3M guy suggested I go with 3 piece as it'll be easy to remove them for cleaning. The 1 piece fit definitely looks much neater but the 3 piece might be more practical.
This is easy as well, no problem. Plus most of the time I am driving alone so rear mats might not see much action, except in the rainy seasons. Let me see.

Quote:
I'm glad you changed the protector on the Head Unit. It does look much neat now.

BTW, I'm done applying protector on the right side (where ORVM controls are). I'll share pictures soon. I've not been able to get Gadget Shieldz like material for the Head Unit.
What I have done (subsequently after that) is make a cut for the chrome ridge on the top part of the HU, so that it has more improved finish. Now it definitely looks better.

Let's see how long this film lasts before peeling off. I might get in touch with a professional for this job by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The mats for the driver side are not fitted properly. They cannot go so much behind the clutch and accelerator.

Please ensure that they don't interfere with the clutch pedal. Even though they may not seem to interfere the metal arm of the pedal can touch the mat preventing the clutch from depressing fully.

Same for gas pedal. If you press the pedal all the way down the pedal may get caught in the mat and not spring back up.

Don't cut the mat bigger than the OE size in general.
Absolutely no problems with interference so far, Vidyut. I made them put it inside, pressed all 3 pedals to ensure complete press and release, and no mat interference to any pedal. But still, to be safe, I told them to cut out the top portion (till the topmost part of the floor where the pedals end up fully depressed) and they did so.

Details in the pictorial to follow.

Quote:
All the best and I am hooked onto to the thread for an update. All will be well!
And here's the update!

Trouble Averted

The "engine malfunction" icon stayed on, through Saturday, Sunday and Monday, every time I cranked Empress up in the mornings. Fearing the worst, I wasn't touching Empress all through the past 4 days!

The A.S.S. center had promised to send the tech over on Monday, but he was tied up with some urgent work in Bhilai so he caught yesterday's bus and arrived here earlier in the morning today. At 9 AM he was here, and promptly went to work with the system software, hooking up his service laptop to Empress's ECU.

The good news - the scan revealed no broken sensors or faulty parts. The error displayed was "Engine Control Module (ECM) internal circuit malfunction", which indicated that either a fuse/some fuses or some couplers had gotten loose. He opened up the bonnet and checked all the concerned parts which might be faulty, and almost immediately found the culprit. The ECM section on the right side of the engine (made by Bosch, as I found out), had a loose coupler on it's left side, which had moved out of it's place slightly. It must have happened so when I went over the speed-breaker just before my colony. He explained that the assembling of engine parts in the factory might have not been upto mark, and the coupler was already not fitted snugly. During all of Empress's subsequent journeys, the car's vibrations, specially the engine's, might have progressively moved it out of place millimeter-by-millimeter, far enough to trigger that malfunction indicator.

He then fitted the couplers tightly into place, went back and checked the laptop, and sure enough, the error was gone, and instead the display showed "all systems ok". He then resetted the ECM to doubly make sure the error was well and truly gone, and performed 2 full system checks on the software to ensure so. He then told me to go for a trial drive with him for at least 20-25 kms, preferably on a road with some speed-breakers, to ensure it didn't happen again. We hit the Chitrakote waterfall road and travelled about 80 kms to and fro, with moderate speed-breakers and potholes, but everything stayed okay. I inquired about service charges and he said this was free from the dealership, since my car is brand new and it was sort of like a manufacturing defect. The same was repeated by the Service Manager on the phone as well. He then took his leave and I drove around the city a bit, for about 50-odd kms, and all's well so far.

Thank the Lord for small favors. I was thinking that one of the major parts/sensors might have gone kaput and would require a replacement, but it turned out to be only a loose part. But, this again shows the hastiness on the part of the fit and finish people at Honda. Where the heck has the Quality Control section disappeared to, I wonder.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Thank you, Anurag, for keeping me sane through the past 4 days (and nights).

Some pictures:

Tech setting up his stuff.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140415_092654.jpg

The Honda system checker connected to the laptop.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140415_092746.jpg

The error message.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140415_093124.jpg

Checking of each suspect part inside the engine bay.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140415_093726.jpg

Bingo!

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140415_093243.jpg

The culprit.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140415_093740.jpg

Full systems check afterwards.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140415_094003.jpg

Empress at a distance. Shot from the first floor of a building opposite the parked area.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140415_133338.jpg

Gel-based car perfume by Carmate.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140415_143322.jpg

Like Vidyut said above - driverside mat cut according to pedal depress range.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140415_143354.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 15th April 2014 at 16:05.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 16:17   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
And here's the update!

Trouble Averted

The good news - the scan revealed no broken sensors or faulty parts. The error displayed was "Engine Control Module (ECM) internal circuit malfunction", which indicated that either a fuse/some fuses or some couplers had gotten loose.

He explained that the assembling of engine parts in the factory might have not been upto mark, and the coupler was already not fitted snugly.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Thank you, Anurag, for keeping me sane through the past 4 days (and nights).

Bingo!
Good News buddy,

I am happy that the culprit was found and repaired. Ill fitting of such crucial parts is not good for Honda and they need to pay more attention while manufacturing the car.

Come on Honda!

In the picture with title: Bingo, look at the technicians face, he is smiling too matching the title of the picture too

Good that the Empress is back on track now! Happy driving.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 18:02   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Trouble Averted
Good News RavenAvi! And yes it does look like the mad rush of bookings has taken a toll on the the quality control processes of Honda
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2014, 18:17   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Good News RavenAvi! And yes it does look like the mad rush of bookings has taken a toll on the the quality control processes of Honda
Absolutely. I tried to adjust my inside RVMs and it just came of in hand. It was a case of loose fitting.
Old 15th April 2014, 20:57   #81
BHPian

Quote:

Trouble Averted
Glad to know it was a loose fitment. I really hope Honda addresses this as soon as possible.

Avi,
It'll be good if you can get some escalation contacts from dealer and bring this up to them. Honda really needs to know about it as when we thing of Honda, the first thing that comes to our mind is Reliability and no fuss ownership experience.

It'll be good for folks to pay close attention to all these niggles and report them during 1st service to have it sorted out at earliest. I'm already keeping a note for the same.
neel911 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2014, 09:39   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good News buddy,

I am happy that the culprit was found and repaired. Ill fitting of such crucial parts is not good for Honda and they need to pay more attention while manufacturing the car.

Come on Honda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
~9600 Citys hit the dealers in March, that's almost 310 Citys per day! Looks like Honda decided to give their QC team a vacation.

"Go and get some rest, guys. We will simply roll the cans out and whiz them to the dealers!"

(insert sarcastic smirk here)

Quote:
In the picture with title: Bingo, look at the technicians face, he is smiling too matching the title of the picture too
He was really happy when he caught the misaligned coupler. He said later that an internal malfunction could mean any number of things, and sometimes they are very, very hard to detect. When a particular sensor/part goes kaput, it shows directly on the system screen. But this particular error code is REALLY tough to pinpoint at a source.

Quote:
Good that the Empress is back on track now! Happy driving.
Thanks! Have been doing some voracious driving since yesterday, to quench my severe burning thirst of the past 5 days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
Absolutely. I tried to adjust my inside RVMs and it just came of in hand. It was a case of loose fitting.
Yikes!! Panel gaps and misaligned couplers aside, parts coming off is simply NOT acceptable. Get in touch with the dealer and inform him, Rajiv. I suggest you shoot off an email to Honda as well.

This is bad news. Looks like Honda is going the Maruti/Tata way by ramping up production and not paying attention to the fit & finish. I hope this is not what they meant when they said they were going to take Honda "mainstream" in India. Taking cues from Maruti, et al?

(no offence to any Maruti Suzuki car owners)

Quote:
Glad to know it was a loose fitment. I really hope Honda addresses this as soon as possible.
I doubt they will do anything right now. With the Mobilio launch around the corner and the Citys/Amazes rolling out thick and fast, they have their hands full. Once the City numbers settle down, we might see something. I hope there's no recall in the future for this batch of Citys for any faulty parts or something, judging by the way the fit & finish is evident.

Quote:
Avi,
It'll be good if you can get some escalation contacts from dealer and bring this up to them. Honda really needs to know about it as when we thing of Honda, the first thing that comes to our mind is Reliability and no fuss ownership experience.

It'll be good for folks to pay close attention to all these niggles and report them during 1st service to have it sorted out at earliest. I'm already keeping a note for the same.
Emailing them won't be of much use, as I have found out. Their Facebook page can be targetted for this, because some of the feedback left there is actually taken up by the company.

Maybe if all City owners from Team-BHP send something like a mass petition listing these problems/niggles to someone higher up in the Honda Japan ranks, something might be done from their end. I have little faith in Honda's corporate hierarchy in India.

One more thing to report - the tech was also sent to call up some of the Amaze owners in my city to change a faulty air intake. He said it was authorised by the company, and all those Amaze owners who were not present yesterday, were asked to get the same done when they would avail their next service.

So Honda's After Sales team is still pretty much alert. I think this is a non-official recall of some Amazes manufactured between a particular time period. A request to all the Amaze owners to get in touch with their dealerships and inquire if their cars come under this as well. Nothing is listed in Honda India's site, so I am thinking it is a hush-hush recall/patchwork being done by Honda.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 16th April 2014 at 09:41.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 13:39   #83
BHPian

Quote:
One more thing to report - the tech was also sent to call up some of the Amaze owners in my city to change a faulty air intake. He said it was authorised by the company, and all those Amaze owners who were not present yesterday, were asked to get the same done when they would avail their next service.

So Honda's After Sales team is still pretty much alert. I think this is a non-official recall of some Amazes manufactured between a particular time period. A request to all the Amaze owners to get in touch with their dealerships and inquire if their cars come under this as well. Nothing is listed in Honda India's site, so I am thinking it is a hush-hush recall/patchwork being done by Honda.
Yep, they changed air intake pipe in my car's 3rd service. But they are not doing any recalling. The part is changed during service, free of cost. I have confirmed the same from other Amaze owners. But this is only for Amaze manufactured before August.
skyfire2892 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 21:23   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

City Lights at Night

Apologies for the lack of a better camera than the one on my S4.

The side-step illuminated garnish under night view. Can help as a semi-puddle lamp in the dark.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_193159.jpg

The triple blue rings of the speedo greet you as you open the door.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_193211.jpg

View of the blue rings from the driver's seat.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_193413.jpg

Push the key in and turn it forward twice to fully light up the speedo.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_193528.jpg

The touchscreen Climate Control unit.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_193653.jpg

The Ambient Foot Light - OEM Honda accessory. Soothing, yet effective.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_193752.jpg

The central console when lit up.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194145.jpg

Central console + speedo.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194157.jpg

Even the headlamp levelling roller is illuminated.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194316.jpg

Driver-side door panel (with flash).
Driver-side automatic up/down power window switch, master lock/unlock button & power windows lock are illuminated.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194241.jpg

Best shot I could manage without flash.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194220.jpg

Taillamp section when lit up normally.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194454_2.jpg

Rear lamps with right indicator flashing.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194525_2.jpg

How it looks from a distance.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194540_2.jpg

The ORVM side-indicator is very bright as well.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194600.jpg

The side indicator on the front headlamp. Normal...

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194609.jpg

...and indicating a right turn.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194614.jpg

Parking lamps when illuminated (wall in front)...

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194805.jpg

+ Low Beam on wall.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194748.jpg

+ High Beam on wall.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194729.jpg

Fog lamps illuminated.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_213206.jpg

All 3 front lamps - Low Beam, High Beam + Fog Lamps illuminated.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_213230.jpg

Reversing lamps activated with reverse gear.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194844_2.jpg

Brake lights at the extreme ends.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_195254_2.jpg

Close look.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_195301_2.jpg

Reverse camera view in complete dark conditions. The garage lamp (section in blue shade) is very far away.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194922.jpg

Single central cabin lamp and it's illumination range.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_193246.jpg

Cabin lamp + front map lamps. Significant improvement in interior illumination.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_193315.jpg

Look how the twin map lamps up front light up the entire cabin.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_193336.jpg

Close look at the front map lamps and their illumination prowess.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140418_194959.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 18th April 2014 at 21:40.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 22:27   #85
BHPian

Loved the ambient footwell lighting! Could you please share the costing? And is it available on the passenger side, as well?
Old 19th April 2014, 12:12   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
Loved the ambient footwell lighting! Could you please share the costing? And is it available on the passenger side, as well?
Yes, it comes in a set of 2. Driver and passenger side both. Cost over here is 2,999/-.

Refer to this pic, this pic and this pic for details on the same, parts from my opening post on page 1 of this thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3400327)

Some more observations:

Front doors open in a 3-step action. Step 1,

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_095654.jpg

Step 2,

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_095715.jpg

and Step 3.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_095732.jpg

Ingress/Egress space for front driver/passenger.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_095741.jpg

Rear doors, however, open in a 2-step action. Step 1,

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_095833.jpg

and Step 2.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_095845.jpg

Ingress/egress space for rear passengers.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_095854.jpg

The microphone for taking calls is located between the front map lamps.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_100153.jpg

No idea what this vent on the right side of the driver is for. It doesn't dispense air.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_100212.jpg

Ergonomical blunder - my left elbow's tip is just tipped on the front (fixed) armrest, and look how far the gear lever is located from it!
Honda should have provided an adjustable one. Drivers with short hands will find the armrest useless.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_100303.jpg

Useful coat hook given for the rear passenger.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_100432.jpg

Look closely and notice the rubber beading for the window glass - it's dual colored and looks cheap.
The lower piece in cream is very rough to the touch. I doubt it will last the distance.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140416_112116.jpg

It covers the entire glass panel on the outside. Cost-cutting?

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140416_112126.jpg

Rear tail-lamp assembly is by... (note that it was by Stanley in the 3rd gen)

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_120444.jpg

The twin numberplate lights are by Stanley.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_120518.jpg

Out of the many discrepancies between the manual and the Indian version of the City, this particular one caught my attention.
Notice the third type of key provided with a boot release button (top-right)? That should have been given with the V MTs, to distinguish them from the S MTs/SV MTs.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_111448.jpg

An ultra-close look at the Golden Brown Metallic shade under direct sunlight. Notice the gold dust sprinkle inside the shade? Looks magnificent when it's sparkling.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140416_112204.jpg

Also, my new Jopasu Duster kit arrived today.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_104615.jpg

The duster with it's long-reach handle.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_104240.jpg

The mini-duster. (to be worn like a glove)

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_104311.jpg

The Magic Glove. (to clean the glass parts)

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_104343.jpg

and the Magic Wipe. (an ultra-soft cloth)

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_104522.jpg

New and old Jopasu Dusters side-by-side. Old one has seen a little over 25 months of extensive daily action.

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140419_105010.jpg

And finally, a shot of my Princess and the Empress.
She jumps into the driver's seat first chance she gets (here, just after she's woken up), runs her hands across the steering wheel, and goes "vroom! vroom! vroom!"

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140416_111714.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 19th April 2014 at 12:17.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 09:36   #87
BHPian

"Empress" - 2014 Honda City i-DTEC VMT - Earth Dreams Unleashed!

At the outset, Congrats on getting a new "Empress" !!! As always, your writing makes a good read, informative and an unbiased one at that. What makes the review remarkable one is that on the negatives, we generally tend to gloss over the negatives or giving a passing reference. But you have boldly given equal weightage to these and my kudos to you.

Quote:
THE EMPRESS RIDES IN

Negatives:

- The gear shifts are hard, compared to my i-VTEC's smooth shifts. There is short, precise slotting involved (I could swear I hear a jingle everytime a gear is slotted in), but the gear shifts take some effort.

- Your left leg will be strained with the hard clutch as well (no doubt being a diesel). Although not as hard as some other cars from the same segment, it's not as smooth as the Verna's either. The Verna remains the benchmark.
Having a diesel does it make so much difference ??

Quote:
THE EMPRESS RIDES IN
- The IRVM mounted on the front windshield on the inside is a design flaw. It blocks vision of incoming traffic from the left and makes you crane your neck on either side of the IRVM to check that out. This could be painful (and dangerous) on the highways when side roads with incoming traffic join in from the left.
I checked the photograph that you gave but am unable to relate these two easily.

Quote:
THE EMPRESS RIDES IN

- High rear + high parcel tray blocks rearward vision from the IRVM. The integrated headrests could have been a boon otherwise. The reverse camera is an absolute necessity.
I was looking at the new Honda City y'day and I felt that the high boot resmbled that of SX4 and your factual observation echoes this point.

Quote:
THE EMPRESS RIDES IN
- The panel gaps are inconsistent. Some parts such as the boot lid and the front bonnet have huge gaps on both sides, while other parts/panels are shut tight.

- I already noticed two moving panel sections on Empress. Details in the pictorial to follow.
Coming from Honda, that is a surprise !!!
Quote:
THE EMPRESS RIDES IN
- Road imperfections filter into the cabin quite a bit. The suspension has been stiffened to add to the ground clearance issue, and maybe that's the reason for this. Can't beat the Fiat Linea for sheer riding comfort.

- The alloys look horrendous. I was never a fan of chunky ones but preferred the 5-spoke ones offered on the earlier generation to these propeller-inspired monstrosities.

- The front grille is too loud and garish. I have never seen a more in-your-face grille than this one on the 2014 City. Although it is acceptable when viewed in combination with the Golden Brown shade.

- Chrome bits have been tastefully applied, but the 3 different designs of the AC vents look oddly misaligned with each other. All the vents are pretty effective though.

- The driver armrest could be of no use for shorter drivers. I am 6'0" feet and had the seat almost 3/4ths of the way back, and could rest only the left elbow on the armrest. Not ideal. It doesn't look to be adjustable either (haven't fully checked it yet).

- No height-adjustable seat belts in a 11-12 lakh car!! A glaring omission. My 2012 City Corporate had them.

- Lots of space at the rear, but headroom is on the shorter side. The Sunny offers better headroom with more than decent rear seat space.

- Front adjustable head rests have a lock groove at the lowest position of their bars. Result - the headrest locks at only it's highest position! Not ideal at all for those who would want it to lock in at lower grooves, like me.

- Service interval is of 1-month/1000 kms, 3-months/5000 kms and thereafter every 6-months/10,000 kms. Not ideal for those whose running is less than 1500 kms per month.
Are these deal breakers?

Also in one of the photographs, you had mentioned about the front part of the car jutting out slightly from the front corners. To me, it resembled a Jazz which has similary "projections".

All these notwithstanding, am sure you are enjoying your drives !!! Wish you and your family very safe and happy drives !!
aaren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 00:10   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaren View Post
At the outset, Congrats on getting a new "Empress" !!! As always, your writing makes a good read, informative and an unbiased one at that. What makes the review remarkable one is that on the negatives, we generally tend to gloss over the negatives or giving a passing reference. But you have boldly given equal weightage to these and my kudos to you.
Hey aaren my friend! Fantastic to see you drop by.

Thank you so much for the kinds words.

Quote:
Having a diesel does it make so much difference ??
Yes it does, specially for someone who is coming from driving petrols.

Comparatively, our Ritz VDI didn't have such a hard clutch. Kudos to the engineers at Maruti & Hyundai for making such wonderfully refined oil burners and pairing them with reasonably smooth clutch boxes as well. Lesson to be learnt for Honda in the future.

I was told by the tech that the gear shifts will smoothen out a bit after the service intervals, but the clutch hardness will remain. It's pretty stiff alright.

Quote:
I checked the photograph that you gave but am unable to relate these two easily.
It is a real pain, specially for tall drivers like me who are using the seat height adjustment. Maybe I can snap a pic of the same view on a highway to clarify my point a bit more.

Quote:
I was looking at the new Honda City y'day and I felt that the high boot resmbled that of SX4 and your factual observation echoes this point.
Not so much as the high boot but the high position of the rear parcel tray in the 2014 City. The 3rd gen City had a lower rear parcel tray which made the rear view (from the IRVM) comparatively easier. But this one blocks out almost 50% of the rear view. Integrated rear headrests have become useless. All the more reason to be dependent on the reverse camera and/or sensors, and ORVMs, to some extent.

Quote:
Coming from Honda, that is a surprise !!!
And totally unexpected. Consistent panel gaps can be lived with, but inconsistent ones cannot. Lazy, hurried engineering.

Quote:
Are these deal breakers?
Not huge ones, specially when the product in question is a Honda, that too the City. The only grouse most people have had from the City has been the ground clearance, which has been addressed by Honda from the 3rd gen's facelift onwards (the 2012 City).

Even the running doesn't affect most owners nowadays. I know of many people who have bought a diesel and their monthly/yearly running is very, very less.

Quote:
Also in one of the photographs, you had mentioned about the front part of the car jutting out slightly from the front corners. To me, it resembled a Jazz which has similary "projections".
I think it helps in piercing through the incoming air and dispersing it through the front lower dam of the grille, which aids in the aerodynamics of the car. Smart, and effective too.

Quote:
All these notwithstanding, am sure you are enjoying your drives !!! Wish you and your family very safe and happy drives !!
Thank you so much.

Apart from the minor scare of the "engine malfunction" indicator last week, Empress has been a delight so far. I am loving her more and more every day. As for the gear shifts and clutch, I guess this is her way of keeping me fit by this daily exercise routine!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 21st April 2014 at 00:20.
Old 21st April 2014, 10:26   #89
BHPian

Quote:

The microphone for taking calls is located between the front map lamps.

No idea what this vent on the right side of the driver is for. It doesn't dispense air.

Ergonomical blunder - my left elbow's tip is just tipped on the front (fixed) armrest, and look how far the gear lever is located from it!
Honda should have provided an adjustable one. Drivers with short hands will find the armrest useless.

Also, my new Jopasu Duster kit arrived today.

And finally, a shot of my Princess and the Empress.
She jumps into the driver's seat first chance she gets (here, just after she's woken up), runs her hands across the steering wheel, and goes "vroom! vroom! vroom!"

Its always a delight to go over your posts Avi. I always end up learning something new.

Few things based on what you've highlighted above:
- How is the microphone quality? For lower variants, the microphone is on the HU and the microphone sensors are not that great. The person at other end always ends up complaining. What they have given in V/VX seems to be a much better position,
- I'm so missing the front map lights. They do not give them in SV variant
- The armrest can be live with on CVT models since you do not end up changing gear much and even the position/height of same is a bit different
- Please do use the Jopasu kit with a little bit of care. The density has decreased a lot in the recent ones (cost cutting everywhere) and you'll have to be very light handed when using it. Also, the interior gloves, you may want to avoid using it on the piano black parts (if anything is still pending screen protection)

The new Honda city is delight for kids.

I just wish that had a 'V' variant for CVT models.
Old 21st April 2014, 14:56   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its always a delight to go over your posts Avi. I always end up learning something new.
Thanks, neel. I am just trying to one-up GTO's stupendous Honda City review!

Quote:
- How is the microphone quality? For lower variants, the microphone is on the HU and the microphone sensors are not that great. The person at other end always ends up complaining. What they have given in V/VX seems to be a much better position,
Calling and voice-through-mic is fully clear. I checked with wifey, colleagues and others regarding this and they said they could hear me quite clearly, no problem.

I think the high-placed mic is a better option than the one on the HU, since there's not much chance of interference (physical or noise-wise).

Quote:
- I'm so missing the front map lights. They do not give them in SV variant
One of the main reasons for me to go for the V MT. The single cabin lamp in my Pegasus was poor, to say the least.

Best suggestion I can give you for this is to go for a white LED spread bulb, and swap it with that cabin bulb (same wattage). Illumination will be improved. Check with your local accessory guys.

Quote:
- The armrest can be live with on CVT models since you do not end up changing gear much and even the position/height of same is a bit different
It's 95% useless for the manual Citys, unless you are a really laid-back driver with minimal gear-shifting, and with the driver's seat set really far back to utilise the armrest.

Quote:
- Please do use the Jopasu kit with a little bit of care. The density has decreased a lot in the recent ones (cost cutting everywhere) and you'll have to be very light handed when using it. Also, the interior gloves, you may want to avoid using it on the piano black parts (if anything is still pending screen protection)
Thanks and wow! I didn't expect that from the Jopasu Duster guys. The quality of the dusters has been top-notch till now, so this is disappointing to hear.

All the piano-black parts are fully covered with film, and I am just using the magic wipe cloth on them every morning. Haven't started using the Magic Glove yet, although when/if I do, it will be for the headlamps/taillamps/window glasses.

Quote:
The new Honda city is delight for kids.
I know this for a fact that my little Princess will vociferously agree with that sentiment!

Quote:
I just wish that had a 'V' variant for CVT models.
+1. The CVT should have been equipped with the Vs and VXs, instead of the SV.

Since the price difference is only 50-60K between the SV and V variants, people paying ~10 lacs for the SV CVT wouldn't have had a problem paying only 60K extra to have a V CVT instead. Tactical blunder by Honda there.

----------------------------

Update on the in-city FE that Empress is clocking right now:

2014 Honda City VMT i-DTEC - The Golden Brown Royal Eminence. EDIT: Now sold!-20140421_144449.jpg

This is with ACC on 100% of the time on AUTO mode, cabin temperature set to 23°C, and pottering about in the 3rd gear at 35-ish speeds and in 4th gear at 40-ish speeds.

RPM needle is around the 1100-1200 RPM mark most of the time.

Trip A is entirely inside the city, wading through everyday city traffic. I will post exact details through the FuelLog application once this tankful is done with.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 21st April 2014 at 14:59.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed