Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2016, 12:23   #121
BHPian

Re: Red beauty comes home – Our Hyundai Xcent AT SX(O)

We are looking for a new car Automatic, now confusion between Xcent, Baleno and Jazz as all have automatics in the same price range that is 9 lacs.

As you are using Xcent for past two years, do you have any advice. I would be doing around 4000 kms a month 75% city and 25% highway

My budget is less than 10 lac so opted for the above options
Old 30th January 2017, 18:34   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashi4877 View Post
We are looking for a new car Automatic, now confusion between Xcent, Baleno and Jazz as all have automatics in the same price range that is 9 lacs.

As you are using Xcent for past two years, do you have any advice. I would be doing around 4000 kms a month 75% city and 25% highway

My budget is less than 10 lac so opted for the above options
I wonder if you have already made up your mind. Being an Xcent user, I would say go for Xcent. A couple of strong reasons - at least over Jazz. The overall ownership cost and ease of use is really something.

Given the amount of driving you are doing, you maybe drawn to diesel also. Personally, I would stay at petrol. Just more cleaner, far more smoother and better overall user experience.

Honda cars are expensive to manage and maintain. A bumper cost is closer to 12-14k.

Maruti cars, on the other hand, are cheaper to run, manage and maintain. There is a certain ease of running. Baleno would give a tougher competition to Xcent. However, I would personally prefer Xcent, since it is a more complete car - boot including.

Just some personal thoughts. Entirely possible that you may have your own choices already.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 16th February 2017, 10:51   #123
BHPian

Hello

Been a while since I updated this.

Turns out that now the Xcent is doing 60-65 kms daily and on some days 100 plus daily.

Wonderful ride quality and silence in the cabin. The average hovers around 10.5-11.5 with AC full time. I had thought that the service will be at 10k but there is a sticker from the previous service that says 15k. This should reach in the next month or so.

All in all, good vehicle, no issues to report, drives well, next to nothing maintenance - expected anyway.

I see loads of these vehicles on the roads these days. Several in the taxi segment also. I think the CRDI version is really popular.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2017, 11:06   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
I had thought that the service will be at 10k but there is a sticker from the previous service that says 15k.

I think the CRDI version is really popular.
Sure about the service intervals? Even I'm under the impression that it is 10k kms, but it doesn't really matter much for me since parents hardly use even half of that every year.

The CRDi version was not very popular in the personal car space due to the small diesel. Hope things will improve with the new 1.2 that is coming in the facelift. Its a wonderful little car and deserves to sell more.
Old 16th February 2017, 11:15   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Sure about the service intervals? Even I'm under the impression that it is 10k kms, but it doesn't really matter much for me since parents hardly use even half of that every year.
Actually for the first one year or so the car was hardly used. Then my wife got a driver and soon enough it is now a daily drive of 60 kms or so. In the previous service, which was at 5 k, the sticker the service centre put was for 15k. In fact I had driven it to them at 10k and wanted to give it in for service. They told me the service is not due yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The CRDi version was not very popular in the personal car space due to the small diesel. Hope things will improve with the new 1.2 that is coming in the facelift. Its a wonderful little car and deserves to sell more.
You are right I have seen mostly the CRDi version in the cab segment. I think the mini sedan or whatever class is the cab segment, the Xcent CRDi is very popular there.

I, for one, quite like the car. It has a lot going for it. And Hyundai has done a lot at the price band it is. Total value for money.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 17th March 2017, 16:43   #126
BHPian

Hello everyone

Time for an update.

Turns out a few days ago while driving a light with ABS came on and would not go away. A quick drive to the nearest Hyundai Workshop revealed that the ABS had stopped functioning.

Well, that was peculiar, the vehicle is less than 2 years old, its done less than 15000 kms and some issue.

So we asked the workshop to fix the issue. They did not have a spare and ordered it. We had to wait for a couple of days, after which they called and mentioned that the said part has come. Basically the brakes would be working and the ABS was not.

This was changed within warranty and the 15 k service was also done.

All in all, good service by Hyundai and the issue of the ABS not working also addressed.

The car is now 15,250 kms done. Runs a fair bit - daily 50 plus at least 4 times a week.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 17th March 2017, 17:51   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajain View Post
Actually for the first one year or so the car was hardly used. Then my wife got a driver and soon enough it is now a daily drive of 60 kms or so. In the previous service, which was at 5 k, the sticker the service centre put was for 15k. In fact I had driven it to them at 10k and wanted to give it in for service. They told me the service is not due yet.
They are right. Service intervals are 10k.

Previous service at 5k, so next service at 15k. No doubts
Old 20th June 2017, 12:25   #128
BHPian

Hello

Been a while since I posted an update.

We had to drive to Coonoor and I realised the Ertiga was not in the best shape. It was giving me those don't slot me in 2nd gear messages. So we decided to take the Xcent.

The route taken was Kanakpura-Mallavali-Chamrajnagar-Satyamangla Forest-Dimbum Ghat-Metupalayam and Coonoor. This is the shortest route and has the least traffic plus the ghats are quite fun to drive. The Xcent AT is a wonderful car to drive in the hills as gear change happens on its own and there is one thing less to worry about.

On the way going we were using the Belkin charger for laptop charging in the rear seat and after a couple of hours the AC became in effective. I have no idea that this was connected or there was some power sharing but the AC was not good enough. This especially when we were in the hot part of Tamil Nadu. Anyway, we started to look for a Hyundai workshop to get it fixed. We were close to Metupalayam by then. Soon enough the climb began and the AC was no longer needed but this concern that the AC was not effective stayed in my mind. For a three day stay I kept thinking maybe I would have to
take the car to Ooty to get it fixed or maybe downhill to Coimbatore.

Anyway, we reached our friends house in the estates and stayed over. The Belkin was also removed and so was the laptop. The next morning I was checking and guess what, the AC was perfect with its cooling. Soon it dawned on me that the laptop was getting charged and perhaps the AC was getting impacted.

We stayed in Coonoor was two days. Played tennis at Wellington Gymkhana. On the way back we started and it was around Kanakpura when it started to rain cats and dogs. Going through the road somewhere the light of the ABS came on. Back in Bangalore Hyundai is asking Rs 8000 for replacing some part. The 2 year warranty is gone and one is thinking after all how much did the small vacation cost! The AC remained as good as it should be.

All in all I love the drive into the hills and the car can take any hairpin bend with happiness.

The ODO now reads 17000 kms.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 09:30   #129
BHPian

Been a while since I updated this thread.

The Xcent continues to do small errand duty and has barely moved 500 kms in the last 7-8 months. I had a good service, cleaning up and the regular starts to keep the engine warm and running. A battery was replaced a few months ago. Went for Exide.

Even went and checked Grand Vitara, paid a booking amount...and now considering cancelling it. Xcent is fine and really not looking for a new car in that sense either.

The ODO is presently at 21400.

The Xcent continues to remain lovely, smooth, comfortable and hassle free.

Cheers
Rajain

Last edited by Rajain : 24th November 2022 at 09:33. Reason: Added sentence
Rajain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 09:01   #130
BHPian

Been a while since I updated this thread.

The car ODO stands at 23k. It remains a 'guest' car at home and the occasional use. Tire replacement is due as the OE bridgestone have lasted their life.

The battery was replaced and a new Exide taken. Regular service and really nothing to report. Usual set of filters replaced.

Will come back after tire replacement.

Cheers
Rajain
Old 28th September 2023, 11:44   #131
BHPian

The tire replacement was done at Tire Empire. I later learnt Madhus had the same tire slightly cheaper but he did not respond for 2 days and time was of essence. The previous Bridgestones lasted 9 years. The car, as you know, is a 'guest car'. With WFH in the last many years, it has largely been used for the once in a while airport run or for the visiting guests who don't like the regular Uber cancellations. In all it does no more than 100 kms per month and sometimes even less.

So, what has been the overall experience as the car enters its 10th year with us. In one word, awesome. Never a single complaint. I mean what car will have a complaint when it is 23k anyway. The tire upgrade has made the ride even more planted. Last Tuesday I drove it for about 70 kms and it was so wonderful to drive. Felt 'heavy' and planted. The AC is wonderful to cool the cabin even after it was parked a few hours in the sun as I was at an office. The new tires are Yokohama and totally inspire confidence.

I spent some time at a Hyundai showroom checking out other stuff on offer. The new Verna is loaded with features, has a better engine (call me old school - there is no replacement for displacement!). The new Verna is absolutely awesome in looks, features, engine, space and overall appeal. The music system is below average (played many tracks) and felt Bose should not lend its name to something like this. The drive has the punch. All that said, I thought of upgrade but quickly gave up that idea. Really don't need. The Xcent is is a wonderful package, totally trouble free ownership and entering the 10th year.

I came back after a visit to the Hyundai showroom and loved it even more!! So cleaned it up even better, ran a thorough vacuum, put in a new freshner, changed the music and have been thinking how about different seat covers and a different inside look.

Shelved all plans to move to another sedan, will continue to keep this.

Cheers
Rajain
Rajain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2023, 20:05   #132
BHPian

Plan for 10th year anniversary

So, with a 10th year of ownership, I have thought that every month I shall have some celebration every month. Over the next 5-6 months I have the following lined up

1. Seat covers - presently the seat covers are OE. Needs to be cleaned up and/or fresh new covers must come in. This could happen in Nov 23.

2. Extensive polish and waxing would be Dec 23

3. Jan 24 would mean under body protection plate. My Ertiga has it. It was fabricated and prepared. Will get that done as well.

4. Feb 24 would be upgrade of lights. My Ford Endeavor has Aazoom lights - absolutely awesome on a highway. The low beam itself is so good that high beam is not needed. I was once driving a BMW 5 series estate version in Europe and felt the low beam was so good that high beam was not needed. The drives had many night hours across multiple countries. Back then I had thought some day when these are available in India this would be in my cars.

5. And what about Oct? Well I just added an amp and moved Infinity Kappa speakers that have been sitting at home from a previous vehicle. So, now the vehicle has 4 tweeters and 4 components of Infinity Kappa. Very impressive sound (nowhere close to Focal/Audison/JL Audio etc) but 7 / 10 is what I would rate it. Good solid feel, surround and damping done as well. This was done at Auto Style in Koramangla.

All in all, I feel in the last 10 years the prices of cars has gone past doubling. So, rather than 'upgrade' bring in elements that one likes - music, interiors, polish and drive around a bit. This makes the drive experience really immersive. The car overall has no complaints and being AT is fairly 'modern', does the job really well.

Given that this has remained a trouble free car for a decade now, I shall continue to keep it for a few more years until either the hybrid becomes very good and viable or the electric becomes good long range and affordable.

Cheers
Rajain

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks